Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
When you compound this with giving up 10 draft picks to draft 5 players this is a recipe for picking in the Top 5 every year
Is this what the Jags have been doing the last 5 years?

I agree with you more than I don't, on this point. But... I don't know how this will turn out. We all understood this was going to take multiple years. Some said two, some said three.

With all these one year contracts, looks like they're working on a two/three year plan.

Everyone "supporting" a rebuild accepts we'll picking top 5 over the next 3 years. Seems you believe Casserio's actions will extend that two additional years.

So yes, if this is how Casserio does things the next three years... we'll be rebuilding for some time.

But we don't know what Caserio is going to do next season. Without the uncertainty of the Watson situation he was trying to manage in March, I believe it's safe to assume his approach will be different

Texian

Hall of Fame

I agree with you more than I don't, on this point. But... I don't know how this will turn out. We all understood this was going to take multiple years. Some said two, some said three.

With all these one year contracts, looks like they're working on a two/three year plan.

Everyone "supporting" a rebuild accepts we'll picking top 5 over the next 3 years. Seems you believe Casserio's actions will extend that two additional years.

So yes, if this is how Casserio does things the next three years... we'll be rebuilding for some time.

But we don't know what Caserio is going to do next season. Without the uncertainty of the Watson situation he was trying to manage in March, I believe it's safe to assume his approach will be different
The reckless spending and the erratic irrational drafting is a pattern of behavior that's alarming. If it continues it will be devastating. Just because you're very active doesn't mean you're right. It could mean you're wrong, very wrong.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Getting compensation for Watson is going to be the key in how long this is going to take. And who knows when that compensation comes, or if it does at all? I'm not too confident it gets resolved before next year's draft, and I fear the contract will eventually end up getting voided and the Texans get nothing.

You're right in that we don't know what to expect from Caserio next season, but I don't think it's safe to assume anything. His navigation of this past draft did not make me think, oh man wait til next year. As I've said on numerous occasions, I'm giving Caserio a mulligan this season. That doesn't mean there aren't things that come up that make me scratch my head and give me some concern.

You wanna bring in 50 new players mostly on 1 year deals to “change the culture”, fine. In an expected throw away season new players will give some fans something to hope for in that tank season. Evidence of that is on this board. For others, weeding out the really bad talent that has been collected the last few years is a must. If you’re going to be a playoff, and eventually a SB contender, you have to have depth on the team. IMO, that process is what Caserio has started with.

But what happens next offseason when all of those 1 year contracts expire? Are we bringing in 50 new players again? That can’t be the norm, and if so, this franchise ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. There has to be stability and a core to build around at some point.

So we'll start to see what Caserio is really about starting next offseason. This year is clean up and start over mode. By next year you've got to start putting a core together, along with continuing to build up your depth. And of course, a big shot in the arm if you get something for Watson. Might take a little longer than we're hoping, if not.

Which leads us back to Mercilus, Tunsil, Cooks, Cunningham and Lawson. These restructured contracts did nothing to improve the team in 2021 and only made the team weaker in 2022 and 2023.
My question is did they have to restructure contracts this year in order to meet requirements for this year? With the bad contracts that were inherited, did NC have to maneuver in order to meet minimum roster requirements along with the minimum floor spending?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Regardless the amount of the salary cap when other teams have a lot more money to spend than you do, particularly those teams in your division, it puts you at a disadvantage.

2022 NFL Team Salary Cap Space Tracker | Spotrac
Having a recently signed franchise QB contract taking up space without likelihood of being traded or playing at all this season poses the biggest disadvantage of all. And that’s a situation no other team is dealing with... yet they all are attempting to field competitive squads this season using whatever tools they have available to do so. In Caserio’s case, restructuring contracts as needed to add talent to make the team competitive.

You wanna bring in 50 new players mostly on 1 year deals to “change the culture”, fine. In an expected throw away season new players will give some fans something to hope for in that tank season. Evidence of that is on this board. For others, weeding out the really bad talent that has been collected the last few years is a must. If you’re going to be a playoff, and eventually a SB contender, you have to have depth on the team. IMO, that process is what Caserio has started with.

But what happens next offseason when all of those 1 year contracts expire? Are we bringing in 50 new players again? That can’t be the norm, and if so, this franchise ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. There has to be stability and a core to build around at some point.

So we'll start to see what Caserio is really about starting next offseason. This year is clean up and start over mode. By next year you've got to start putting a core together, along with continuing to build up your depth. And of course, a big shot in the arm if you get something for Watson. Might take a little longer than we're hoping, if not.
I hope the team is able to see a few of these 1 year contracts evolve into something longer. But it will definitely be in phases, with the hope that you can get your core in a 2 to 3 year time frame and a 3 to 5 year process overall for stabilization.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Having a recently signed franchise QB contract taking up space without likelihood of being traded or playing at all this season poses the biggest disadvantage of all. And that’s a situation no other team is dealing with... yet they all are attempting to field competitive squads this season using whatever tools they have available to do so. In Caserio’s case, restructuring contracts as needed to add talent to make the team competitive.
I'm sure there are those who feel that Caserio will have the most competitive 0 - 17 team on the field.

Texian

Hall of Fame
My question is did they have to restructure contracts this year in order to meet requirements for this year? With the bad contracts that were inherited, did NC have to maneuver in order to meet minimum roster requirements along with the minimum floor spending?
No they did not. They entered the 2021 season over the cap.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The reckless spending and the erratic irrational drafting is a pattern of behavior that's alarming. If it continues it will be devastating. Just because you're very active doesn't mean you're right. It could mean you're wrong, very wrong.
Irrational drafting is your opinion.

I like last yrs draft.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Irrational drafting is your opinion.

I like last yrs draft.
So just to be clear and there is no confusion about my definition of irrational drafting, this is exactly what I mean by that. Using a draft pick to trade for a QB who you cut weeks later is an irrational use of a draft pick. Starting the draft with 8 picks and in the process you barter away 2 2022 picks and only end up with 5 draft picks is irrational. Giving up twice the trade value to make a trade is irrational. Letting a journeyman position coach who may hold a record for the number of times for getting fired run your draft is irrational. Basically ignoring defense, by far the weakest link on the team during the draft is irrational. I am disappointed that you like all of this.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Hate that Caserio lost a 6th Rd pick for Finley. But if he can't overcome that mistake then he needs to be fired now.

This is another quality over quantity debate and what are your expectations for this draft? Caserio took a couple of chances on talented guys who played very little football last yr. Collins was one of the top 2 WR'S at the Sr Bowl. IMHO, go back and watch the Sr. Bowl practices and tell me what you think.

While I agree with you about Pep, there's no denying Mills/Collins are very talented players.

While I don't like giving up a 2022 4th, if Collins becomes a 5 year starter then the trade was a win. Giving up a 6th in 2022 doesn't bother me a bit.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Wow guys just wow, from hell and back.

Cal first move should have been to trade for Caserio when they decided to fire Gaine. Poor planning from get go. Shows inexperience, naive to consequences, and not visionary like his Dad.

If so dead set on Caserio, give Kraft a first to make it happen. Could still have Watson, Hopkins and Watt. Anyway, pretty fucked now. Does it really matter with this coaching staff, other than Pep, who he drafts, cuts or releases?

Understand homerism, never ending support, faith and passion of a Texan fan. You all deserve better, and I hope next head coach is a true innovator. Can put humpty dumbly back together again?
I’ve seen it happen, on going as we speak from similar beginning, with another franchise, Cal is just full of mis steps.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
No. They could have filled the roster with UDFAs & bottom roster guys. Guys who never started on their previous teams & won’t start on their future teams.

& we’d have depth issues in the starting lineup.

I think the biggest misconception here is that “we” believe 2021 is a throw away year. The Texans have never acted as if they believed that.

That may very well be a Texans snafu. But it looks like they’re going into 2021 thinking they have a shot at a winning season at the very least.

I don’t see it. But the way they’ve been spending money & draft capital they don’t think this is a throw away season.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
In your opinion, what talent have they added that makes a difference? Which signings move the needle for you?

Marcus Cannon and Lane Taylor on the OL. Britt is a low risk/high likelihood to be as good or better than Martin signing.

All the new RBs. Conley is a solid WR 3/4 option.

On defense I like Kirksey, Hewitt and Kevin Pierre-Louis added to the LB unit. Really I think Lovie’s defense is going to upgrade the LBs regardless but these are likely to outplay their cost thanks in large part to the scheme.

Desmond King is probably my favorite defensive addition. Terrence Mitchell is an upgrade as starting CB over Hargreaves and started all year for a playoff team last season.

Shaq Lawson and Jordan Jenkins are solid players as well and think both will be dependable as run stopping DEs with a little opportunity for pass rush juice.

Andre Roberts is a pro bowl returner. Don’t think we’ve had one of those since Jerome Mathis (or Jacoby Jones yikes).

Additions i’m not a fan of:

Moncrief
Maliek Collins is overpaid for being basically Ross Blacklock
Obviously the Finley non-addition was frustrating.
I’m not sure Demarcus Walker can make it on the field over Omenihu but guessing he was added for “competition”.
Jaleel Johnson doesn’t move the needle. I’ve posted about how the DTs are the worst unit on the team in another thread (or could have been this one I don’t remember).

Dejaview

All Pro
Marcus Cannon and Lane Taylor on the OL. Britt is a low risk/high likelihood to be as good or better than Martin signing.

All the new RBs. Conley is a solid WR 3/4 option.

On defense I like Kirksey, Hewitt and Kevin Pierre-Louis added to the LB unit. Really I think Lovie’s defense is going to upgrade the LBs regardless but these are likely to outplay their cost thanks in large part to the scheme.

Desmond King is probably my favorite defensive addition. Terrence Mitchell is an upgrade as starting CB over Hargreaves and started all year for a playoff team last season.

Shaq Lawson and Jordan Jenkins are solid players as well and think both will be dependable as run stopping DEs with a little opportunity for pass rush juice.

Andre Roberts is a pro bowl returner. Don’t think we’ve had one of those since Jerome Mathis (or Jacoby Jones yikes).

Additions i’m not a fan of:

Moncrief
Maliek Collins is overpaid for being basically Ross Blacklock
Obviously the Finley non-addition was frustrating.
I’m not sure Demarcus Walker can make it on the field over Omenihu but guessing he was added for “competition”.
Jaleel Johnson doesn’t move the needle. I’ve posted about how the DTs are the worst unit on the team in another thread (or could have been this one I don’t remember).
Good stuff but Blacklock and Greenard just might surprise. Last year was a wash for rookies so I’m anxious to see them.

banned1976

sleeper mode
IMHO, the biggest obstacle in turning this team around any time soon (and the main reason I'm not at all looking forward to watching them) is the coaching staff. The Texans pretty much had the pick of the litter (because they were the first team to fire their head coach) and they came away with Tim Kelly, Lovie Smith, and Culley. That's unbelievable to me. Almost as unbelievable as hiring a HC and not letting him have any input into his staff. Other than just being really invested, emotionally, in the sport of American football I don't understand how any Texans fan can be enthused about this team. But hats off to those of you who are, I don't know how you do it every year. My enthusiasm has been leaking out steadily since 2013 but these last two years, it's gushed out. Just so many weird decisions it boggles the mind.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I'll always be a fan of whatever NFL team happens to call Houston home at the time. Enthusiasm may vary year to year though. This year I think it'll be more amusement than enthusiasm. LOL

Dejaview

All Pro
Gave up a 2 &4. Got jones and a 6. My guess is with him getting on the backside of 32 during the season and his butt load of hamstring injuries last year the draft choices given up are what’s going to effect the Texans but not in the way you may think. Lol if the Texans made this trade we’d all have to hear how stupid again was the GM. Edit. Not to mention the salary and dead money they also inherited. They better get to the SB THIS YEAR.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
I'll always be a fan of whatever NFL team happens to call Houston home at the time. Enthusiasm may vary year to year though. This year I think it'll be more amusement than enthusiasm. LOL
So, basically the same as last year just minus Watson playing far above the rest of the talent on the team?

The Texans last year with Watson was kind of like having that one smart kid in class that kept throwing the grading curve off and flunking all the dummies. The downside to that this year is that Houston Texans ISD won't have that one really smart kid to at least help them measure up against the other "schools". They're going to look like they don't belong.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
IMHO, the biggest obstacle in turning this team around any time soon (and the main reason I'm not at all looking forward to watching them) is the coaching staff. The Texans pretty much had the pick of the litter (because they were the first team to fire their head coach) and they came away with Tim Kelly, Lovie Smith, and Culley. That's unbelievable to me. Almost as unbelievable as hiring a HC and not letting him have any input into his staff. Other than just being really invested, emotionally, in the sport of American football I don't understand how any Texans fan can be enthused about this team. But hats off to those of you who are, I don't know how you do it every year. My enthusiasm has been leaking out steadily since 2013 but these last two years, it's gushed out. Just so many weird decisions it boggles the mind.
I'm happy they got a placeholder staff who have a history of being good teachers while they're rebuilding.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Gave up a 2 &4. Got jones and a 6. My guess is with him getting on the backside of 32 during the season and his butt load of hamstring injuries last year the draft choices given up are what’s going to effect the Texans but not in the way you may think. Lol if the Texans made this trade we’d all have to hear how stupid again was the GM. Edit. Not to mention the salary and dead money they also inherited. They better get to the SB THIS YEAR.
Cap hit is biggest reason Julio was had so cheaply. He’s a future HOFer and will be an elite player as long as he’s healthy. Hopefully for the Texans sake he takes the Calvin Johnson route. Titans got a lot more dangerous on offense.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'm with you on that Thorn.
Amusement is entertainment and with the lowered expectations, chances of disappointment are lowered.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Cap hit is biggest reason Julio was had so cheaply. He’s a future HOFer and will be an elite player as long as he’s healthy. Hopefully for the Texans sake he takes the Calvin Johnson route. Titans got a lot more dangerous on offense.
So Tannehill is going to have to decide if he’s going to hand the ball off to Henry, or throw it to Julio....

I don’t know, may have gotten easier for the rest of the AFCSouth.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So Tannehill is going to have to decide if he’s going to hand the ball off to Henry, or throw it to Julio....

I don’t know, may have gotten easier for the rest of the AFCSouth.
????

How may it have gotten easier?? There’s no deciding what to do. They’re going to feed Henry and have a ton opened up in the pass game with 8-9 in the box trying to stop Henry.

Tannehill has averaged a 110 passer rating in this Tennessee offense (he averaged 87 in Miami), with 55 TD and 13 INT. And now he’s got one of the best WR duos in football (if health doesn’t factor in). How the hell did that get easier for the rest of the division?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So, basically the same as last year just minus Watson playing far above the rest of the talent on the team?

The Texans last year with Watson was kind of like having that one smart kid in class that kept throwing the grading curve off and flunking all the dummies. The downside to that this year is that Houston Texans ISD won't have that one really smart kid to at least help them measure up against the other "schools". They're going to look like they don't belong.
Hold on, DW4 is the smart kid?

LMAO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t think there was a lot of decision making for Tannehill last season. Hand it off to Henry, or throw it to Aj.

Throwing in an extra option may be too much for Tannehill.
Remember Firsker tearing the Texans up? Johnu/Who caught that long pass that setup the GW FG against the Texans?

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I don't care how much the cap goes up every year. It's going up the same for every team. When you restructure multiple contracts you're depleting your future caps. It's like playing monopoly and this season your competition starts with $180 million and you start with $150 million. Because you need more money to stay in the game you borrow from $40 million from next season. Next Monopoly season your competition starts the season with $220 million and you start the season with $160 million. Again you need more so you borrow again. This is sign of bad contracts, poor money management and recipe for living in conference basement. When you compound this with giving up 10 draft picks to draft 5 players this is a recipe for picking in the Top 5 every year until you get fired 2 or 3 years from now.
I remember having this exact conversation before during the expansion/basement years with someone. So I'll just save time and cut to the chase. There's no such thing as cap restraints when you are completely rebuilding. In short time Houston will have tons of cap room, real question is can/did they acquire players to spend it on? The cap is the absolute least of my worries right now. I'm not paying that bill and when your team sucks and is in a complete rebuild, it's irrelevant.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I remember having this exact conversation before during the expansion/basement years with someone. So I'll just save time and cut to the chase. There's no such thing as cap restraints when you are completely rebuilding. In short time Houston will have tons of cap room, real question is can/did they acquire players to spend it on? The cap is the absolute least of my worries right now. I'm not paying that bill and when your team sucks and is in a complete rebuild, it's irrelevant.

I don't entirely disagree with his logic. I think 1 or 2 restructures per year is necessary. If it's more, it's a sign of bad management.

He's operating under the assumption that no other team does the same and is also forced to restructure. I think that's flawed.

Nobody hits their draft picks 100% of the time and nobody nails their contracts 100% of the time. Its just part of the business. If your only doing a couple per year your doing damn good.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I’m surprised anyone can still write blank checks payable to Two NRG Park given the perpetual incompetence on display this off season in particular. Not to mention having our collective hearts ripped away by former Oilers owner Bud Adams. I really can’t believe that I’d say this seems worse :hankpalm:

I know there is still a thread of hope and community of fans I support and hope for a miracle to turn things around Kirby Street, too many brilliant, successful and hardworking people here not to eventually get it right, just probably not in some of our lifetimes.

Was just reviewing this outstanding Athletic article by Dane Brugler recapping the 2018 NFL Draft. Of course this was first year Texans had to pay up first round pick used to trade for Deshaun Watson in 2017 and their second-round pick to unload the Brock Osweiler contract. Best player, 3rd rd pick Justin Reed, still with the team but still playing on his rookie contract without extension this point. Overall graded out 29th in league, you could argue but who had worse draft classes were the Kansas City Chiefs and New England Patriots. Chew on that for a moment.

Debt paid, or so we thought, from there we saw a bright young franchise QB rounding into elite company with arguably the best WR in the NFL. A lot since was acquired to protect said franchise QB, too much in fact, that it precipitated a number of questionable trades and lackluster acquisitions that haven’t panned out. Then the whole Watson trade me, not pay me Rick, saga which we all know how that perturbed ownership followed by Watson Message Gate. Nullifying any possible draft day deal/trade with no trade able resolution in sight.

Im not even going to get into the GM and Coaching changes. Not enough juice. Just saying, find another franchise QB, with a real elite young head coach, who assemble a top notch staff, can implement both on or off the field and you can once again enjoy the game, embrace the philosophy, feel the swagger but still know it’s just a business and everything can change on a moments notice.

So I’m saying for your own sanity it’s ok to still be a Texan and have hope, just live to fight another day and get with a second option to feel excited and joyous again, we all deserve as much.