Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
]

Lot of those deals haven't been finalized due to physicals …. most likely why its not listed anywhere officially.
Timmy Jernigan has been known as a run-stuffer since arriving at the league in 2014 with Baltimore. He has made his way in the NFL that way with Philadelphia but 2019 was littered with injuries. He is going to have to show he is healthy but with the team unable to take a look at players due to the COVID-19 situation and his deal with the Texans will be complete when he takes a complete physical.
link

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
From McClain's Facebook Texans Mailbox:

What should we expect from Tim Kelly? Are we getting another Godsey, or will we get to see him really put his own touch on this offense? -@JJHOU99

Tim Kelly is going to interesting to watch as his first season as the play-caller. We know he was the offensive coordinator last season but did little play-calling during the season. During practice and training camp, Kelly would be on the radio calling plays into Deshaun Watson, so Bill O'Brien has used a full season to prep Kelly for this upcoming season.

Here is the biggest difference between former coordinator George Godsey and Kelly. Godsey was brought to the Texans after being the tight ends coach with New England, where he and O'Brien spent the 2011 season together. That is less than a season together, and the next time they coached together, O'Brien hired him as the quarterback coach three years later.

O'Brien didn't know enough about Godsey just used a small snapshot of their time, less than a calendar year, to build their relationship. It did not last long after Godsey was named offensive coordinator and had his play-calling duties stripped early in the 2015 season.

Kelly has been with O'Brien since the 2012 season at Penn State as a graduate assistant. Since arriving at the Texans, Kelly has been the offensive quality control coach, assistant offensive line coach, tight ends coach, quarterback coach, and now the offensive coordinator.

Going into his ninth season next to O'Brien, Kelly has learned everything that O'Brien wants as a head coach and, more importantly, brought his ideas to the table.

The biggest factor is that O'Brien has trusted Kelly for nearly a decade to be on his staff earning his trust. Now, after passing the trial by fire, Kelly's time is to show what he has learned up O'Brien.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
They've expanded the playoffs to include a 7th team & still the Texans are projected to be on the outside looking in....

They were talking about that yesterday on 610 & I agree with them. That's a slap in the face.

banned1976

sleeper mode
They've expanded the playoffs to include a 7th team & still the Texans are projected to be on the outside looking in....

They were talking about that yesterday on 610 & I agree with them. That's a slap in the face.
Who’s face?

I don’t think it’s a slap in the face of anyone on the Texans. The prognosticators and odds makers are looking at the entire picture, they’re not looking at it from the lens of a Texans fan (or Texans flagship radio station). The Texans had a comparably poor offseason. And they were outscored last season. That’s been discussed many times on this very board.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We’re trading him and Watson, a second for Ben and a Steeler with an expiring contract. :shades:
I would consider trading JJ after season for WR Claypool, RG Kevin Dotson, RB Benny Snell and LB Alex Highsmith; all players Steelers could do without. The issue for Steelers is Roth's QB cap. I don't think Mason or Paxton Lynch is the future. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2019/10/30/pittsburgh-steelers-paxton-lynch-gets-chance-revive-nfl-career/4084523002/

Still Steelers seem to be the best if only option I see for 2021 trade. Projected 2021 space $28 million.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
I would consider trading JJ after season for WR Claypool, RG Kevin Dotson, RB Benny Snell and LB Alex Highsmith; all players Steelers could do without. The issue for Steelers is Roth's QB cap. I don't think Mason or Paxton Lynch is the future. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2019/10/30/pittsburgh-steelers-paxton-lynch-gets-chance-revive-nfl-career/4084523002/

Still Steelers seem to be the best if only option I see for 2021 trade. Projected 2021 space $28 million.
The Steelers would hang up on you.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Yep probably. If he returns to 2018 form we might be surprised at interest in him.
Or teams will let the Texans pay that 17.5 million for a 32-year-old often (significantly) injured DL instead of hoping on back to back healthy and productive season since 2014-15.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Or teams will let the Texans pay that 17.5 million for a 32-year-old often (significantly) injured DL instead of hoping on back to back healthy and productive season since 2014-15.
yes another scenario is restructuring 2021 with an extension that benefits the cap ala Tunsil and Fulton's 2020.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If this wasn't "JJ Watt" the icon, the cut with no dead money or restructure to a team favorable contract should, better would have already happened.
Why do you think the Texans won't extend Watt? They gave a $54 million deal to Mercilus last year. That didn't seem team friendly. Watt with one arm is twice the player Mercilus is.

"Good teammates" get paid by the Texans. And by good teammate, I assume it's defined by anyone that doesn't bad mouth O'Brien.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Why do you think the Texans won't extend Watt? They gave a $54 million deal to Mercilus last year. That didn't seem team friendly. Watt with one arm is twice the player Mercilus is.

"Good teammates" get paid by the Texans. And by good teammate, I assume it's defined by anyone that doesn't bad mouth O'Brien.
I think they are working on the Jj Watt don’t want to be in Houston campaign.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I disagree as JJ had a pretty good 2018 and before injury was on track to have a Clowney type season. His injuries have not been picayunish but major. Agree that we must be cautious

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member

I don't have a comeback for the general illogic presented.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I disagree as JJ had a pretty good 2018 and before injury was on track to have a Clowney type season. His injuries have not been picayunish but major. Agree that we must be cautious
If this is about on the field business of football, JJ watt's contract is an albatross. His 100 million dollar extension started in 2016, is marked by one outstanding year and three years ending on IR playing 32 of 64 possible regular-season games. In 2019, Watt's 4 sacks in 8 games, good for 3-4 DE, but not difference-making. Based on availability and play, Watt should have gotten some Zach Fulton contract treatment.

Now, if we are talking about the overall business of football...JJ Watt still seems to JJ Watt of 2014-15.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Based on availability and play, Watt should have gotten some Zach Fulton contract treatment.
Despite missing those 32 of 64 games, Watt still had more sacks (21.5) than Mercilus (20) over the same span. So in the context of the Texans, why not give Watt some Whitney Mercilus contract treatment?

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
Despite missing those 32 of 64 games, Watt still had more sacks (21.5) than Mercilus (20) over the same span. So in the context of the Texans, why not give Watt some Whitney Mercilus contract treatment?
How about not paying Whitney well over the market and still treating Watt the player like watt the player? Neither should...

Nevermind, that would mean drafting and developing or working veteran free agency properly.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
How about not paying Whitney well over the market and still treating Watt the player like watt the player? Neither should...

Nevermind, that would mean drafting and developing or working veteran free agency properly.
I will say this about Watt and Mercilus. When Watt has been on the field the past 1-1/2 seasons, he has played up to or above his contract. Based on Mercilus play the past 3 years, he will not play to his contract over the next 3 seasons.

I'm just saying if someone's going to get upset over a contract, they're barking up the wrong tree.

AcresHomesTexan

Staff member
I will say this about Watt and Mercilus. When Watt has been on the field the past 1-1/2 seasons, he has played up to or above his contract. Based on Mercilus play the past 3 years, he will not play to his contract over the next 3 seasons.

I'm just saying if someone's going to get upset over a contract, they're barking up the wrong tree.
The 'best" part of this offseason is that June is nearly here and I am just getting around to any detailed discussion about overpaying for mediocre pass rushing and largely unavailable pass-rushing...sigh

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
insert Lurch groan gif here

(Haven't figured out this chromebook yet)

Last edited: