Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

RGV82

Random guy
I think Taylor is a very rare guy. Great vision/able to run in tight spaces and has sprinters speed. Can catch the ball out of the backfield too. Only issue he has in fumbles.
Definitely agree.... just wondering who is going to make drafting a RB their number 1 priority in the first round.

RGV82

Random guy
Definitely agree.... just wondering who is going to make drafting a RB their number 1 priority in the first round.
I just looked at a bunch of mock drafts and most have no RBs going in the first round, and a few do. Taylor is the only RB going in the first round, and he has been associated with Miami.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah it would! Chiefs are definitely going defense (D-line, CB) with their first few picks.
I would add Taylor and draft a CB/DL later if I was Reid. The offense would be unstoppable and there are some really good CB's/DL that are going to be available in rds 2-4.

RGV82

Random guy
I would add Taylor and draft a CB/DL later if I was Reid. The offense would be unstoppable and there are some really good CB's/DL that are going to be available in rds 2-4.
They would definitely have a powerhouse on offense, but their 2nd pick is not until pick 63, and I would be surprised if they took a RB with their first pick, and waited all the way until pick 63 to address their defense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They would definitely have a powerhouse on offense, but their 2nd pick is not until pick 63, and I would be surprised if they took a RB with their first pick, and waited all the way until pick 63 to address their defense.
Agreed

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Kind of like the last decade.

BTW, we have no idea how the Texans draft room will look. Hopefully it will look a whole lot better than the last failed decades worth of drafts, since this is the 1st draft that BOB will be truly running and finally there will be no more excuse or blaming others for failed drafts. #Quiterefreshing
Awww man, so the rebuild years count resets back to zero? We reset it when Gaine took over, because supposedly those two were aligned. Now that BOB is the GM, the rebuild count resets again? So 2023 is when the Texans will finally be a contender, cool. BOB's 9th year, cool!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Awww man, so the rebuild years count resets back to zero? We reset it when Gaine took over, because supposedly those two were aligned. Now that BOB is the GM, the rebuild count resets again? So 2023 is when the Texans will finally be a contender, cool. BOB's 9th year, cool!
Nope, not at all.

After the coming yr they should become contenders. Gaine leaving was a setback.

DW4 regressing was the real setback. Hopefully DW4 can improve with Kelly calling the plays. Bottom line for me is the Texans will go as far as DW4 can take them. So far it's not promising.

KTex

Noob
Yeah its always hard to predict where RBs will go. Rarely do teams make RB their number 1 priority, so even if a guy has potential to be first round material, there is a good chance they go much later. The days of Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush drafts are over. People learned their lesson with Trent Richardson... lol
Oooh, don't know about that. Elliot just went 4th overall. OAK just took Jacobs 24th overall last season, and in 18 you had Saquon going 2nd overall, Rashad Penny at 27, Sony Michell at 31.

I think a RB will go that high again if his skillset/production warrant that selection.

RGV82

Random guy
No joke? What happened to make him fall so badly?
Nothing made him fall. He has consistently ranked 3rd-5th overall RB for the 2020 draft with guys like Taylor, Swift, Edwards-Helaire and Moss ranked ahead of him. The only 2 RBs I have seen projected to go anywhere near the 1st round are Taylor and Swift. Dobbins has always been projected as a 2nd-3rd round guy.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Hopefully the Texans and Cal are using the three strike rule for OB.....this way there's a glimmer of hope.

Strike 1: OB as HC.....he mostly sucks!!!!

Strike 2: OB as HC & OC......he mostly and definitely sucks x2!!!!

Strike 3: OB as HC, OC (Mystery of OZ) and GM......he........damnit!!!! TBD.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nope, not at all.

After the coming yr they should become contenders. Gaine leaving was a setback.

DW4 regressing was the real setback. Hopefully DW4 can improve with Kelly calling the plays. Bottom line for me is the Texans will go as far as DW4 can take them. So far it's not promising.
Dan are you saying DW4 hasn't regressed from his rookie yr?

disaacks3

Staff member
Yep, definitely NOT regressed from his 6-start rookie season.
Additionally, given the Offense he was forced to run last season, he hasn't really regressed from the 2018 season either.

I'm well aware of what the stat sheet reads...and what it doesn't account for. One of the points I agreed with in the BRB article posted was the misuse of of the Texans offensive tools. The other point was how badly our Defense had fallen.

You want to argue pure statistical regression? Sure. By that measure Mahomes regressed worse - down in both Rating (8.5 pts) and QBR (2.4 pts) vs. Watson's rating (down 5.1 pts) and QBR (up 8.8 pts).

I don't see any regression in Watson's skillset.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
you can't compare anything to his rookie year. He didn't play long enough, and the pace of success that he went on is one that would never have been sustained year to year for any QB ever. He would have cooled off at some point that season with that awful offensive line. Also, the last 10 years has shown us that the first 3 years of a QB's ability in the NFL is where the entire package really is analyzed. We've seen several guys come in and look outstanding as rookies only to minimize themselves greatly the next season. We've seen them break out in their 2nd seasons only to look okay in their 3rd. Watson for example has sustained himself in as a top 10 QB at this point until proven otherwise. His statistics and the team win totals over the last two seasons makes that argument pretty easily.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
you can't compare anything to his rookie year. He didn't play long enough, and the pace of success that he went on is one that would never have been sustained year to year for any QB ever. He would have cooled off at some point that season with that awful offensive line. Also, the last 10 years has shown us that the first 3 years of a QB's ability in the NFL is where the entire package really is analyzed. We've seen several guys come in and look outstanding as rookies only to minimize themselves greatly the next season. We've seen them break out in their 2nd seasons only to look okay in their 3rd. Watson for example has sustained himself in as a top 10 QB at this point until proven otherwise. His statistics and the team win totals over the last two seasons makes that argument pretty easily.
Agreed

I would say he sometimes is the best QB in the NFL, other times like the last 5 weeks of the season he isn't even top 20.

So why do you think that is? On DW4'S bad days has BOB gone brain dead? Or is it that DW4'S just a wildly inconsistent QB?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yep, definitely NOT regressed from his 6-start rookie season.
Additionally, given the Offense he was forced to run last season, he hasn't really regressed from the 2018 season either.

I'm well aware of what the stat sheet reads...and what it doesn't account for. One of the points I agreed with in the BRB article posted was the misuse of of the Texans offensive tools. The other point was how badly our Defense had fallen.

You want to argue pure statistical regression? Sure. By that measure Mahomes regressed worse - down in both Rating (8.5 pts) and QBR (2.4 pts) vs. Watson's rating (down 5.1 pts) and QBR (up 8.8 pts).

I don't see any regression in Watson's skillset.
We just disagree

Time will tell

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Agreed

I would say he sometimes is the best QB in the NFL, other times like the last 5 weeks of the season he isn't even top 20.

So why do you think that is? On DW4'S bad days has BOB gone brain dead? Or is it that DW4'S just a wildly inconsistent QB?
3rd year QB. He has a horrible HC and a horrible OC. Its not easy for him, and yet he is still performing at a top 10 overall level. He can pass well enough, and his mobility is a great asset that he utilizes well. I'm just fine with where he is in his 3rd season. I just feel like it won't matter much until their is a new HC that is leading him and this team. Watson will likely just be a very good flashy QB that is not reaching his full potential along with the team as well due to the team's HC and the team's ownership. Its a depressing situation.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Agreed

Basically what you're saying is a QB can be inconsistent, but an HC cannot? Why can't it be the HC has a good game plan some games, a bad one for others?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Basically what you're saying is a QB can be inconsistent, but an HC cannot? Why can't it be the HC has a good game plan some games, a bad one for others?
What I'm saying is I seriously doubt BOB gets dumb from week to week. After all he's an Ivy League graduate. Does he have bad weeks? Sure he does, does he have 7 bad weeks in a season and win 11 games in a season? No chance, bad HC's dont win 11 games in a season.

Is BOB one of the best HC's in the NFL? Nope Is he one of the worst? Nope. Hopefully he can improve now that he doesn't have OC duties, just like hopefully DW4 can improve under Kelly/Smith/Yates.

He's avg, which is par for the course with the Texans org.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
What I'm saying is I seriously doubt BOB gets dumb from week to week. After all he's an Ivy League graduate. Does he have bad weeks? Sure he does, does he have 7 bad weeks in a season and win 11 games in a season? No chance, bad HC's dont win 11 games in a season.

Is BOB one of the best HC's in the NFL? Nope Is he one of the worst? Nope. Hopefully he can improve now that he doesn't have OC duties, just like hopefully DW4 can improve under Kelly/Smith/Yates.

He's avg, which is par for the course with the Texans org.
Have you listen to the Wade Smith and Cecil Shorts conversation regarding Watson, O'Brien, the WRs and the scheme? If not, you really need to listen to it.

For example. Listening to their conversation, when you talk about the offensive inconsistencies, they believe the root cause is the implementation of the game plan offense:
1. Without an identity, you're always reacting to the defense. Never dictating tempo or matchups.
2. Certain weeks, certain WRs and TEs are a big part of the game plan and others they are totally ignored. It's hard for some players. Especially young players
3. For a week 10 game, you have plays in the game plan that you haven't run since training camp. Fuller and Hopkins might be limited in practice and Watson is practicing with 3rd and 4th string WRs. The game starts and the spacing, timing and route running are off from the limited practice with the backup WRs.
4. During practice the backups are not great route runners like Hopkins or Fuller. Now the game starts and the timing is off.
5. Since so much is dependent on the WR and QB being on the same page, when they are not seeing the same thing, it leads to inconsistent play
6. During the game week, you spend more time in the classroom than on the field. Without an identity, a young team struggles with the weekly plays and concepts

Personally, I think O'Brien could be an above average HC. But he has to get out of his own way. It seems like he's a smart guy who has to constantly reinvent the wheel. Every team has a game plan offense. Chris Simms said, "O'Brien doesn't steal enough ideas from around the league". He doesn't do enough to help his QB. You hear similar sentiments from former QBs like Sean Salisbury, Dan Orlovsky and Clint Stoerner.

I know you probably consider these as DW4 excuses. But from week to week, it's either Watson or O'Brien or the WRs/TEs or the OL or a combination of one or the other. You simply want to pin the root of all inconsistencies on Watson when inconsistency is a team effort. Hopefully, Kelly can establish an identity on offense. Identify what his talent does well, streamline the offense, teach the offense to his young squad, utilize the offensive talent on a consistent basis, and freshen this stale offense with concepts from the Chiefs, 49ers, Eagles, Rams and even Clemson.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Ever hear anyone say Josh McDaniels had a bad month of play calling? I can't remember him ever being questioned with the Patriots.

The QB has to make it right, regardless.

I know it's unrealistic & unfair, but that's the way it is. Brian Schottenheimer calls some stupid crap, but Wilson makes him look pretty dang sharp.

Don't get me wrong. I think BO'b is Watson's biggest problem. But it's time for Watson own the offense. Every bit of it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Personally, I think O'Brien could be an above average HC. But he has to get out of his own way.
Agreed. I think this is a better team than any team Kubiak ever put on the field. A tougher team.

We'd have been true contenders the last two seasons with an OC who would coach the team he has & not the team he wants.

KTex

Noob
Nothing made him fall. He has consistently ranked 3rd-5th overall RB for the 2020 draft with guys like Taylor, Swift, Edwards-Helaire and Moss ranked ahead of him. The only 2 RBs I have seen projected to go anywhere near the 1st round are Taylor and Swift. Dobbins has always been projected as a 2nd-3rd round guy.
Guess it depends on where you look. I've seen him ranked #1.

KTex

Noob
Agreed

He hasn't been coached up. Watson is a great big play QB. He's got that part down. Where he struggles is simply down to down consistency. Moving the ball, getting those 2nd and 4's and 3rd and 2's. Watson wants a HR every play, seemingly. Bob just lets him play, instead of teaching him the other part of the game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He hasn't been coached up. Watson is a great big play QB. He's got that part down. Where he struggles is simply down to down consistency. Moving the ball, getting those 2nd and 4's and 3rd and 2's. Watson wants a HR every play, seemingly. Bob just lets him play, instead of teaching him the other part of the game.
Do you think BOB hasn't told him not to always look for the big play and to take the checkdowns more often? I think BOB's told him and DW4 understands. But when things are live he goes back to doing what he's done all of his life, look for the big play.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Have you listen to the Wade Smith and Cecil Shorts conversation regarding Watson, O'Brien, the WRs and the scheme? If not, you really need to listen to it.

For example. Listening to their conversation, when you talk about the offensive inconsistencies, they believe the root cause is the implementation of the game plan offense:
1. Without an identity, you're always reacting to the defense. Never dictating tempo or matchups.
2. Certain weeks, certain WRs and TEs are a big part of the game plan and others they are totally ignored. It's hard for some players. Especially young players
3. For a week 10 game, you have plays in the game plan that you haven't run since training camp. Fuller and Hopkins might be limited in practice and Watson is practicing with 3rd and 4th string WRs. The game starts and the spacing, timing and route running are off from the limited practice with the backup WRs.
4. During practice the backups are not great route runners like Hopkins or Fuller. Now the game starts and the timing is off.
5. Since so much is dependent on the WR and QB being on the same page, when they are not seeing the same thing, it leads to inconsistent play
6. During the game week, you spend more time in the classroom than on the field. Without an identity, a young team struggles with the weekly plays and concepts

Personally, I think O'Brien could be an above average HC. But he has to get out of his own way. It seems like he's a smart guy who has to constantly reinvent the wheel. Every team has a game plan offense. Chris Simms said, "O'Brien doesn't steal enough ideas from around the league". He doesn't do enough to help his QB. You hear similar sentiments from former QBs like Sean Salisbury, Dan Orlovsky and Clint Stoerner.

I know you probably consider these as DW4 excuses. But from week to week, it's either Watson or O'Brien or the WRs/TEs or the OL or a combination of one or the other. You simply want to pin the root of all inconsistencies on Watson when inconsistency is a team effort. Hopefully, Kelly can establish an identity on offense. Identify what his talent does well, streamline the offense, teach the offense to his young squad, utilize the offensive talent on a consistent basis, and freshen this stale offense with concepts from the Chiefs, 49ers, Eagles, Rams and even Clemson.
The Pats haven't seemed to have these issues for 18 yrs. Maybe that's why Smith/Shorts didn't last here long after BOB became HC.

Agreed about BOB not stealing from other teams enough. It's the reason I wish he would've interviewed other coaches for the OC/DC positions (So they could learn/steal other coaches ideas.) This is a big weakness of BOB's. IMHO

I too hope Kelly can bring more of the Atlanta gameplan on a regular basis and Kelly/DW4 are a better fit than BOB/DW4. I wouldn't expect a WC offense with Kelly running the offense, despite that being what many on here wanting the offense to look like.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
So I guess you are saying that in all this time, O'Brien, Carl Smith, Kelly and Watson's "personal" QB coach have just sat around so he can play sand lot football always looking for the "big play".........ignoring 90% of the other more important aspects of the game an NFL starting QB needs to be taught.

Texansballer74

The Marine

That’s because most of the time all the route patterns are deep. When you’re running the ball on 1st and 2nd down without any freaking success. Then of course your QB will be forced to look for the big home run play. When the play calling is inconsistent from game to game. One game you’re hitting them with quick hitters, misdirections great play calling. Then the next game it looks like the offense went completely vanilla. A lot of the times the kid is playing off script because we’re either behind needing a big play or there’s nothing open underneath. Sometimes that’s the play that was called.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Ever hear anyone say Josh McDaniels had a bad month of play calling? I can't remember him ever being questioned with the Patriots.

The QB has to make it right, regardless.

I know it's unrealistic & unfair, but that's the way it is. Brian Schottenheimer calls some stupid crap, but Wilson makes him look pretty dang sharp.

Don't get me wrong. I think BO'b is Watson's biggest problem. But it's time for Watson own the offense. Every bit of it.
Brady & the Patriots have had bad offensive games. Using steel's logic, it's because Brady had a bad game. I'm simply posing the question, why does he pinpoint all of the inconsistencies in the offense on DW4 rather than the OC/HC (or both)?

What do you mean by "... it's time for Watson own the offense."? Do you mean it's his responsibility to make a play succeed, even if the play called puts the offense in a bad situation?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I don't think Watson wants a HR every play. I think he tries to take what he sees the defense giving him. If there's only a 4 man pass rush, I want him to trust the protection and wait for his routes to develop. If he sees Fuller lined up against a weak corner with no safety help, I want him to attack that matchup! I don't want him to quickly check down to the RB just because he's open. If we're not allowing DW to move in a muddled pocket, and tell him to dump the ball as soon as he sees pressure, then we're not taking advantage of his skillset.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
How many Patriots blogs have you ventured to on a regular basis with a lot of Pats fans discussing game day? I complained about a lot of his play calling this season in this forum. Overall he has been great, but this season not so much.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
What do you mean by "... it's time for Watson own the offense."? Do you mean it's his responsibility to make a play succeed, even if the play called puts the offense in a bad situation
I mean with the "franchise" QB, everything else is secondary. I greatly respect McDaniels, Reid, & Payton. But with 0:28 left in the game they say, "they left too much time on the clock for Brady/Brees/Rodgers" because those guys get it done regardless. They find a way.

Obviously not literally all the time. Brady wasn't stellar this season. Rodgers hadn't gotten it done in some time now & Brees can't beat Vegas.

But sooner or later, if Watson is a true franchise QB, everything will be about him.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Texans land three compensatory draft selections for the 2020 NFL Draft

Patrick D. Starr
20 minutes ago

The NFL has awarded compensatory draft selections for the 2020 NFL Draft. The Texans were awarded three extra draft selections for the upcoming NFL Draft.

The Texans were awarded the (3rd round) 97th overall, (7th Round) 248th overall, and (7th Round) 250th overall.

The Texans could have had another third round selection but due to the suspension of Denver Broncos safety Kareem Jackson for the final two games of the season, it dropped to a third round selection

The Texans received the highest compensatory selection for the Kansas City Chiefs signing Tyrann Mathieu

They will also be sending the compensatory third round selection to the Cleveland Browns to complete the trade for Duke Johnson leaving the team with their own selection in the third round.

Texans 2020 Draft Selections
  • 2nd-57th overall
  • 3rd-90th overall
  • 4th-108th overall (via Miami)
  • 4th-128th overall
  • 5th-171st overall
  • 7th-240th overall
  • 7th-248th overall
  • 7th-250th overall

KTex

Noob
So I guess you are saying that in all this time, O'Brien, Carl Smith, Kelly and Watson's "personal" QB coach have just sat around so he can play sand lot football always looking for the "big play".........ignoring 90% of the other more important aspects of the game an NFL starting QB needs to be taught.
That is what it looks like.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Exactly what I've been spending far too many words to say.

Thanks

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Brady & the Patriots have had bad offensive games. Using steel's logic, it's because Brady had a bad game. I'm simply posing the question, why does he pinpoint all of the inconsistencies in the offense on DW4 rather than the OC/HC (or both)?

What do you mean by "... it's time for Watson own the offense."? Do you mean it's his responsibility to make a play succeed, even if the play called puts the offense in a bad situation?
He makes calls at the LOS, He has to get better at this if he owns the offense. Brady's bad games have been few and far between over the last 20 (I repeat 20) yrs. Not 10 good games and 7 bad games including some of his worst moments in the playoffs.

Comparing a 6 time SB champion to DW4 tells us where you stand. #Fanboy

See: CnD's above post

Last edited:

dream_team

Hall of Fame
He makes calls at the LOS, He has to get better at this if he owns the offense. Brady's bad games have been few and far between over the last 20 (I repeat 20) yrs. Not 10 good games and 7 bad games including some of his worst moments in the playoffs.

Comparing a 6 time SB champion to DW4 tells us where you stand. #Fanboy

See: CnD's above post
I am NOT comparing Brady to DW4, stop twisting words just to help your point.

I simply stated that if the offense has a bad game, it's NOT necessarily ALWAYS on the QB. Statistically, Brady had alot of bad games last season. Has he become an inconsistent QB? Or is it more than simply his play alone?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I am NOT comparing Brady to DW4, stop twisting words just to help your point.

I simply stated that if the offense has a bad game, it's NOT necessarily ALWAYS on the QB. Statistically, Brady had alot of bad games last season. Has he become an inconsistent QB? Or is it more than simply his play alone?
Brady lost Gronk, I would say DW4's got much better weapons around him than TB12 has ever had. Minus the Moss record setting yrs.

I'm not the one that said, Brady has bad games and so does DW4.

I'm saying Brady's bad games over a 20 yr career have been few and far between. DW4 10 vs 7.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Brady lost Gronk, I would say DW4's got much better weapons around him than TB12 has ever had. Minus the Moss record setting yrs.

I'm not the one that said, Brady has bad games and so does DW4.

I'm saying Brady's bad games over a 20 yr career have been few and far between. DW4 10 vs 7.
Once again, not comparing Brady vs DW4. Brady is the possible GOAT. Let me try again... when Brady has a bad game, is it because he simply didn't have it that day (inconsistent), or other factors outside of his control?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Once again, not comparing Brady vs DW4. Brady is the possible GOAT. Let me try again... when Brady has a bad game, is it because he simply didn't have it that day (inconsistent), or other factors outside of his control?
Up to this last year Brady just had a bad game. This past year he didn't have the talent around him.