Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

RGV82

Random guy
We've been doing it for a couple of days now. I think we can.

To me, proving. You can carry the load means carrying the load for 16 games. Lamar Miller had done that once in the three years he's been here.

Regardless. Doesn't matter. I don't want Duke to be our primary back. I want someone better than Lamar Miller.

I have no problem going into next season with Duke as our primary with one or two new guys trying to take the spot.

I've seen enough Lamar Miller.
You may not have a problem with it but it won’t happen. Duke will never be our primary back. Not even for a season.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Exactly. Duke once had 100 carries by default due to injuries and the rest of his career he has been a 50-80 carry guy.

Man that dude is piggy back riding off of your comment stating the number of carriers Lamar had in Miami. He doesn't really know because he doesn't do any research.

Again nobody is disagreeing with you like that. The point is how do we know if he can be one or not. This season Obrien ran him between the tackles whenever he got in. So if we don't resign Hyde, guess what, Duke might just be our three down back.

But hey some posters just has to be right huh? Since you agreed to that nonsense by old buddy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Dude cut that **** out. You're the one parading like you are right on every freaking thing.
I'm not saying I'm right on everything.

I'm just giving my opinions. My opinion on DW4's future is different than most on this MB. Time will tell who's right. Other than DW4 we really agree on more things than you would think.

You just perceive things the way you imagine them to be.

RGV82

Random guy
Man that dude is piggy back riding off of your comment stating the number of carriers Lamar had in Miami. He doesn't really know because he doesn't do any research.

Again nobody is disagreeing with you like that. The point is how do we know if he can be one or not. This season Obrien ran him between the tackles whenever he got in. So if we don't resign Hyde, guess what, Duke might just be our three down back.

But hey some posters just has to be right huh? Since you agreed to that nonsense by old buddy.
I am fully agreeing that there is potential for Duke Johnson to be capable as a 3 down back in an ideal world. Unfortunately for the sake of this argument, I am being realistic, and history shows that 5 year 3rd down running backs who average 50-80 carries per season for 5 years in a row do not develop or get a shot as a workhorse 3 down running back.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
There was a side comment about Miller I was debating. You were not involved so I’m not wasting my time debating something with you that you just interjected yourself into without full knowledge of what I was even commenting on.
You do realize this is a public message board? It's not hard to follow a conversation. If you don't want people to comment, take it private

RGV82

Random guy
You do realize this is a public message board? It's not hard to follow a conversation. If you don't want people to comment, take it private
I do want people to comment, but for some specific people it is just easier to hit the "ignore" feature, that way I can read comments from everyone except for a specific person :)

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

No longer does the picturesque running back look like Larry Csonka. With the game pushing passing to the forefront, football has new demands for a quarterback’s backfield-mate. The shift in thought puts a premium on backs that can catch and run-routes.

Duke Johnson, of the Houston Texans, is just that.

A 5-9, 210-pound Hurricane out of Miami, Johnson’s production as a pass-catcher can mimic that of a slot receiver. Since entering the NFL in 2015, with the Cleveland Browns, he sits second in the league in running back receptions (265), receiving yards (2,464) and receiving touchdowns (11).

Johnson tends to force defenses to alter personnel. On Sunday, the New England Patriots witnessed that firsthand, as he scored a 14-yard receiving touchdown while being covered by Kyle Van Noy.

Defenses don’t want to be covering him with a linebacker. Why? He’s essentially a receiver, according to quarterback Deshaun Watson. He has 30 receptions for 294 yards and three touchdowns in 2019.

“You have to pick either you’re going dime personnel and have a DB on [Johnson] or you have to put one of the linebackers on him, and linebackers don’t do too much covering,” Watson told reporters Wednesday. “They like to run fit and play zone coverage, they don’t play a lot of man. So, he’s a guy that’s really a receiver playing running back, and he can do a lot of different things that can help us.”

The problem for defenses — as coach Bill O’Brien alluded to on Monday — is that if they trot-out a lighter look the Texans can audible to a run for an easy gain. Johnson averages 5.2 yards per carry — rushing for 385 yards and a touchdown in 2019.

“He’s a guy that can run the ball, catch the ball. He can do it all,” said Watson.

The Texans take advantage of that, as indicated by Johnson’s 13th-highest shotgun carry rate (60.8%) and ninth-highest light front carry rate (63.6%), per Player Profiler.

Johnson has yet to be a permanent fixture in the Texans offense. With starter Carlos Hyde nearing 1,000 rushing yards, he may not be anytime soon. However, he doesn’t have to be to make an impact. All he needs to do is walk onto a field to send a defense into a flurry.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
It's easy to use... you can even add your list to your signature so everyone knows how worthy you are

RGV82

Random guy

RGV82

Random guy
I could care less what we want to label Duke... whether he's a "3rd down back" or the "workhorse". The guy needs more touches, that's all I care about.
Agreed, but either need to re-sign Hyde or draft a capable RB to share the load with him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I could care less what we want to label Duke... whether he's a "3rd down back" or the "workhorse". The guy needs more touches, that's all I care about.
Agreed, I would've used Hyde at RB and Duke in the slot to get him the more touches instead of using Carter. Duke played in the slot with Browns some when injuries hit their WR corps.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Would prefer to re-sign Hyde, but only if he's willing to take a very modest contract. On offense, the only new starter I want is a RG.
But a new RG for only a modest contract as we've already got far and away more invested in the OL than any other position group.

RGV82

Random guy
Nope. He won't. Won't change the fact we took Lamar Miller & made him our starter as unlikely as that seemed at the time.

But it wouldn't surprise me if those yahoos on Kirby made Duke their primary back.
Lamar Miller deserved a shot at being a starter, so I don't really consider that being "unlikely". The 2 years before signing with us in Miami, he started all 32 games, was getting around 200 carries per season and averaged 5.1 and 4.5 YPC while showing his capabilities of being a receiver out of the backfield. He definitely showed potential and durability to be a starter.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I did not want to fight at all. I simply wanted you to justify a false claim about a non existent comment you claimed I made.
You could have worded it like that and perhaps I would have responded

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Texans draft room for the next 5 years:

Kind of like the last decade.

BTW, we have no idea how the Texans draft room will look. Hopefully it will look a whole lot better than the last failed decades worth of drafts, since this is the 1st draft that BOB will be truly running and finally there will be no more excuse or blaming others for failed drafts. #Quiterefreshing

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No way. All sources have him ranked between number 3-5th best RB overall and 38th-66th best player overall. He is projected as a mid to late 2nd round pick overall.
I think he goes early/mid 2nd rd.

Taylor is the only 1st rd RB after he blew up the combine. IMHO

RGV82

Random guy
I think he goes early/mid 2nd rd.

Taylor is the only 1st rd RB after he blew up the combine. IMHO
Yeah its always hard to predict where RBs will go. Rarely do teams make RB their number 1 priority, so even if a guy has potential to be first round material, there is a good chance they go much later. The days of Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush drafts are over. People learned their lesson with Trent Richardson... lol

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah its always hard to predict where RBs will go. Rarely do teams make RB their number 1 priority, so even if a guy has potential to be first round material, there is a good chance they go much later. The days of Adrian Peterson and Reggie Bush drafts are over. People learned their lesson with Trent Richardson... lol
I think Taylor is a very rare guy. Great vision/able to run in tight spaces and has sprinters speed. Can catch the ball out of the backfield too. Only issue he has in fumbles.