Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Ed Reed was already like Ahman Green. It probably didn't matter if the DC here in Houston wanted him or not, he was already washed up and on his way to retirement. The fact that he never did anything after he left here shows he should have retired after the SB win.

Ed Reed was already like Ahman Green. It probably didn't matter if the DC here in Houston wanted him or not, he was already washed up and on his way to retirement. The fact that he never did anything after he left here shows he should have retired after the SB win.

It was a Bob McNair move. Kubiak didnt want him. Wade didnt want him. McNair forced the issue and had to deal with a guy who was just here to cash a check.

It's no surprise to me, but this article states that Watson would have been the 2nd player taken if the 2017 draft was redone....going to the Chicago Bears.

Of course, quarterback Patrick Mahomes would have gone No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns instead of defensive end Myles Garrett. However, the next player off the board would have been Watson with the Chicago Bears moving up to No. 2 overall to take him.

It's no surprise to me, but this article states that Watson would have been the 2nd player taken if the 2017 draft was redone....going to the Chicago Bears.

Of course, quarterback Patrick Mahomes would have gone No. 1 overall to the Cleveland Browns instead of defensive end Myles Garrett. However, the next player off the board would have been Watson with the Chicago Bears moving up to No. 2 overall to take him.

So Bob would have gotten his prototypical "Chad" QB in Trubisky!! And right now we would be finding out how bad a move it was, and maybe it would have led to OBriens ousting and a complete shakeup? Texans were going to move up to get a QB that is certain, so its safe to assume in this alternate reality that the Texans STILL do move up and Trubisky is EXACTLY what Bob wants in a QB LOL - and I wonder how many ANTI WATSON guys will try to make an argument that Trubisky would be better here!

I can only imagine DEshaun with Nagy as his head coach - who filtered through the Andy Reid tree. That would be special. Its all about fit. Its an even greater testament to the talent Watson is being able to keep Obriens outdated and empiric system relevant.

good find!

Great, then the Bears while better would be going thru the inconsistencies the Texans currently are.

So Bob would have gotten his prototypical "Chad" QB in Trubisky!! And right now we would be finding out how bad a move it was, and maybe it would have led to OBriens ousting and a complete shakeup? Texans were going to move up to get a QB that is certain, so its safe to assume in this alternate reality that the Texans STILL do move up and Trubisky is EXACTLY what Bob wants in a QB LOL - and I wonder how many ANTI WATSON guys will try to make an argument that Trubisky would be better here!

I can only imagine DEshaun with Nagy as his head coach - who filtered through the Andy Reid tree. That would be special. Its all about fit. Its an even greater testament to the talent Watson is being able to keep Obriens outdated and empiric system relevant.

good find!

You would see about the same thing in reverse. BTW, why aren't people calling for Nagy's head. He's obviously not able to work around Trubisky's short comings as well as BOB's been able to work around DW4's shortcomings?

This is a great read.

Of the supposed franchise quarterbacks, Schaub and Watson boast the best numbers. Schaub turned the ship around, ushering in the Texans’ first era of winning seasons. Watson is the captain now with his sights set on a deep run in the playoffs.
Our recency bias suggests that every card-carrying Texans fan would choose Deshaun Watson over Matt Schaub in a head-to-head decision, but does that match what the stat sheet reveals? On paper, it may be closer than you think.

Schaub was clearly carrying a heavy load for the offense at this point in the franchise. Yes we are firmly in the Arian Foster era, but it’s hard to believe that Matt Schaub was averaging almost 35 pass attempts per game. He truly was a high-volume QB at the time and it’s debatable he carried the team on his shoulders more than Watson.

I am not one to usually post articles, but I thought this was a good read:

I can only hope Duke Johnson is more involved or handed lead back duty. It would prevent Emperor OBrien from getting cute with a RB pick early in the draft or falling in love with another battering ram. You've mortgaged the future for the offense, so they should be good to go talent-wise ... add a better scheme and they will be electric with Duke as a 3 down back. Like the article says the Texans defense is lacking in all 3 levels. All attention should be paid to the defensive side of the ball in the draft and free agency.

I am not one to usually post articles, but I thought this was a good read:

Don’t agree that Justin Reid is not a playmaker, but Duke Johnson is. But I do agree that O’Brien must give the defense love in FA and the draft.

Don’t agree that Justin Reid is not a playmaker, but Duke Johnson is. But I do agree that O’Brien must give the defense love in FA and the draft.

I think Reid #1 needs to stay healthy, and then #2 needs to find the ball more. His tackling this year left alot to be desired (injury related probably) but no forced fumbles and 2 picks isnt exactly ball hawking. Solid, SOLID player, but making plays to turn tides is more important than just making the typical play .. for example how many times did Dukes ability in the open field save the day vs Buffalo?? Thats playmaking. Making guys miss, turning nothing into something.

Shoot my last impression of Reid was getting tackled 1 on 1 on the fake punt vs KC that started the downward spiral. (not his fault I know I know, but sometimes you just have to play ball and make it happen - blood on the moon, mano a mano whatever) all the mat drills he's done and agility work had been preparing him for that moment and he didnt deliver - not an indictment of his talent or what I feel he can provide moving forward, just an observation as to why maybe one particular outlet could see Duke being more of a playmaker than Justin.

I can only hope Duke Johnson is more involved or handed lead back duty. It would prevent Emperor OBrien from getting cute with a RB pick early in the draft or falling in love with another battering ram. You've mortgaged the future for the offense, so they should be good to go talent-wise ... add a better scheme and they will be electric with Duke as a 3 down back. Like the article says the Texans defense is lacking in all 3 levels. All attention should be paid to the defensive side of the ball in the draft and free agency.

You keep putting out the false narrative that BOB's mortgaged the future. Why? You dont think they can survive the 2021 draft like they did the 2018 draft?

I think Reid #1 needs to stay healthy, and then #2 needs to find the ball more. His tackling this year left alot to be desired (injury related probably) but no forced fumbles and 2 picks isnt exactly ball hawking. Solid, SOLID player, but making plays to turn tides is more important than just making the typical play .. for example how many times did Dukes ability in the open field save the day vs Buffalo?? Thats playmaking. Making guys miss, turning nothing into something.

Shoot my last impression of Reid was getting tackled 1 on 1 on the fake punt vs KC that started the downward spiral. (not his fault I know I know, but sometimes you just have to play ball and make it happen - blood on the moon, mano a mano whatever) all the mat drills he's done and agility work had been preparing him for that moment and he didnt deliver - not an indictment of his talent or what I feel he can provide moving forward, just an observation as to why maybe one particular outlet could see Duke being more of a playmaker than Justin.

Making plays like stopping Fourmette with a bum shoulder just short of the GL to win the Jags game?

Those types of plays.

Or being able to play slot CB when injuries decimated the secondary one game last yr and doing a good job? Those kinds of plays?

My biggest gripe with RAC in the Chief game was that he should've had Reid covering Kelce and played somebody else like Adams or L. Johnson at FS.

I swear I saw somewhere that Duke could be a cap casualty. And I thought, WTF?
I can't remember where I saw it though.

Cancelled my season tickets today after 9 years of dropping lots of coin.
Ticket guy actually asked me,”may I ask why?” I thought huh, I wasn’t expecting that.
I told him though. I’m a good ways away from Houston, it’s getting too expensive, and I wasn’t happy with the GM, HC, OC arrangement. Told him I have too much invested to drive that far and get a Broncos game performance or a Colts, (2) Chiefs playoff game performances.

He said,”I understand.” I replied,”you do but does ownership?”

long silence, then “you want your credit credited back to the card you charged the tickets?”
“Yes please, thanks”
Click.... and there went my season tickets, just like that. I didn’t want to but it was fiscally responsible for me.
I’ll still make a game or two and hit an away game every year. I like this team too much not to.

There is ZERO chance Duke Johnson is ever handed lead back duty. Ever. He is not a lead back. Never has been, never will. He can fill in for a few games if needed, but that is about it.

So we're going to use information from 2016 and a Browns organization/coaching staff as a springboard for a discussion - that should go well.

So let me get this straight .. you are telling me that a guy who is 5'9 and 210 lbs, runs like a gazelle and has hands like a wideout cant be a feature back?

Duke as a feature back would net you around 1200 yards on the ground PLUS 500+ yards through the air - and more importantly the ability to open up the playbook on every single down.

I dont think that this coaching staff is THAT much better, but like ive stated elsewhere its attrition on OBriens part. He is a pretty stubborn guy. If he's calling plays why cant Duke run up someones ass for 2 yards? Why do you need to waste a roster spot and cap space on 'heavy' RB?

I may even say you are overvaluing the position. Duke would do just fine, I mean I saw it with the eye test! (plus stats)

heck of alot to spend on a one down back dont you think?

They use Duke about every 3rd series to spell Hyde and use Duke on most 3rd downs.

Do you even watch the games. I guess it's hard to watch the game when all you watch is DW4.

BTW, you telling me Hue isn't a good HC since you've already admitted you look at most things through the prism of race?

Last edited by a moderator:
"when the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser" - Socrates.

I hope I age more gracefully then some here.

So we're going to use information from 2016 and a Browns organization/coaching staff as a springboard for a discussion - that should go well.

So let me get this straight .. you are telling me that a guy who is 5'9 and 210 lbs, runs like a gazelle and has hands like a wideout cant be a feature back?

Duke as a feature back would net you around 1200 yards on the ground PLUS 500+ yards through the air - and more importantly the ability to open up the playbook on every single down.

I dont think that this coaching staff is THAT much better, but like ive stated elsewhere its attrition on OBriens part. He is a pretty stubborn guy. If he's calling plays why cant Duke run up someones ass for 2 yards? Why do you need to waste a roster spot and cap space on 'heavy' RB?

I may even say you are overvaluing the position. Duke would do just fine, I mean I saw it with the eye test! (plus stats)
You are very good at talking yourself into believing things that will never happen.

tenor.gif

According to an NFLPA memo released Thursday, here are some of the proposal's key terms that player reps and the union's executive council will weigh when they meet:

• The elimination of any game suspensions strictly for positive marijuana tests.
  • A reduction in the number of players subjected to testing for marijuana.
  • "Gambling definitions" that ensure players receive a portion of gambling revenue brought in by the league.
  • Alterations to training camp, including the "introduction to a 5-day acclimation period," a limit of 16 days in pads and a limit of four joint practices in a three-preseason games scenario.
  • An increase in the active squad by one offensive lineman.

LMAO @ the psychological deflection and insecurity going on SMH

So I present legitimate bullet points as to why I feel Johnson would flourish as the #1 back and the rebuttal was "durr why waste time on imaginations"
not one single logical reason as to why he cant do it. Just blasts from the past and the example of ineptitude and failure from one of the worst run franchises in football history. (Browns better watch out the TExans are coming up fast on their heels!!)

I guess Im just supposed to go along with the super awesome job of talent evaluation the current coaching staff performs for us yeah? LOL

@RGV82 = Making JJ Watt a TE wouldnt amount to squat since this team rarely utilizes the position. If I were you and wanted to be intentionally dense and obtuse I would have used the old wildcat example .. you know .. the one that got his whole core jacked up to begin with .. Another OBrien brainchild.

This place is just chock full of brilliance this morning.

So I present legitimate bullet points as to why I feel Johnson would flourish as the #1 back and the rebuttal was "durr why waste time on imaginations"
not one single logical reason as to why he cant do it. Just blasts from the past and the example of ineptitude and failure from one of the worst run franchises in football history. (Browns better watch out the TExans are coming up fast on their heels!!)

I guess Im just supposed to go along with the super awesome job of talent evaluation the current coaching staff performs for us yeah? LOL

@RGV82 = Making JJ Watt a TE wouldnt amount to squat since this team rarely utilizes the position. If I were you and wanted to be intentionally dense and obtuse I would have used the old wildcat example .. you know .. the one that got his whole core jacked up to begin with .. Another OBrien brainchild.

My JJ Watt comment was complete sarcasm. And you can continue to justify a Duke Johnson argument all you want. It’s not gonna happen. I’d rather debate something realistic than something “RICO” tries to talk himself into thinking could happen but will not. It’s the same logic as someone trying to say Dion Lewis should be the starter next year in Tennessee. It’s not gonna happen.

Cancelled my season tickets today after 9 years of dropping lots of coin.
Ticket guy actually asked me,”may I ask why?” I thought huh, I wasn’t expecting that.
I told him though. I’m a good ways away from Houston, it’s getting too expensive, and I wasn’t happy with the GM, HC, OC arrangement. Told him I have too much invested to drive that far and get a Broncos game performance or a Colts, (2) Chiefs playoff game performances.

He said,”I understand.” I replied,”you do but does ownership?”

long silence, then “you want your credit credited back to the card you charged the tickets?”
“Yes please, thanks”
Click.... and there went my season tickets, just like that. I didn’t want to but it was fiscally responsible for me.
I’ll still make a game or two and hit an away game every year. I like this team too much not to.
"Thanks for your money er patronage and we have already sold your tickets to another sucker- er devoted fan." Cal McNair

They use Duke about every 3rd series to spell Hyde and use Duke on most 3rd downs.

Do you even watch the games. I guess it's hard to watch the game when all you watch is DW4 with a rag in your hand.

BTW, you telling me Hue isn't a good HC since you've already admitted you look at most things through the prism of race?
Now there you go again encouraging mods to get involved.

How do we know if Duke can be a 3 down back or not? None of us truly know. The best way to find out is to put him back there and see if he can be.

So TB it would appear to me that you might have some reservations with this scenario. Would those lie in the realm of Duke never being given the opportunity? Do you think his build is to "small" for a lead role as an NFL RB? Health concerns?

Im with you, how can you really know? Are we going to paralyze ourselves because the genius think tank in Cleveland didnt think he could be a starter? I wonder how many guys have looked up his college tape? I was under the impression when we gave up a very valuable 3rd round pick that he would be a more integral part of the offense, and instead he's the guy who the defense knows only comes in on passing downs and to give the starter a breather? Bad application of capital if you ask me.

Starting Duke gives you the most economical way to improve the positon. Addition by subtraction if you will. Its already been shown that ANY RB in this system is going to be effective.

How do we know if Duke can be a 3 down back or not? None of us truly know. The best way to find out is to put him back there and see if he can be.
The fact is that we don’t know. I’m not debating that. My point is that it won’t happen. He has already established himself in his role and teams see him as a weapon on 3rd downs. Like I say, he possibly COULD be a workhorse, but it’s not going to happen. Can you name me ONE player in the history of the NFL who started his first 5 years with 100 carries or less as a 3rd down back and became a workhorse lead back??

I'm impressed that you could use the word brilliance in a sentence.

Care to define that word for us?

Back