Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I would only lose my shite in that scenario if the game unfolded like that KC playoff embarrassment. Well, I would lose my shite in one other condition, and I won't even type that out or say it out loud.

I've never been this excited over the Texans. Even so, I am cautiously optimistic. They have a tough schedule and some weaknesses that need (and still could) to be addressed. The fun in that is unlike last year this time of year I'm not thinking they have to absolutely nail the draft before I can even think about them breaking even.
I'm trying to temper mu enthusiasm by understanding the Texans will be playing a 1st place schedule this season and that they won't be sneaking up on anyone. No team will be looking past the Texans this year.

I'm trying to temper mu enthusiasm by understanding the Texans will be playing a 1st place schedule this season and that they won't be sneaking up on anyone. No team will be looking past the Texans this year.
Traditionally the problem had been our team sleeping. Shouldn't be the case playing the 1st place teams.

& this is the year we beat Philly.

Does anyone think that Pierce will be better in the run game this year, with a year under his belt in it?
I think if we can open the field & pass more often on first down we can get him in space. Hopefully the drop off in his trucking ability was due to "thinking too much " & he becomes that punishing runner I fell in love with.

Last edited:
If the Texans draft RB- Jaylan Wright (Tennessee)……he’ll be the new RB2 while Pierce goes to ST’s. If the Texans draft WR/KR/PR- Anthony Gould (Oregon State)…..Pierce might find himself and Metchie as part of package deal in a trade.

I think Pierce is like Donta Foreman without the injury. Talented and can be a factor on another team that run the scheme for him.

But I can’t see anyone trading for him in today’s RB market. Maybe a 6th or a 7th. But isn’t that what we gave up for Mixon?

Packaged together with Metchie you may be able to get a 5th?

I don’t know. But if anyone can get a trade done it’s Slick Nick.

Better to the extent that blocking gets better, and/or the defense is stretched thin because of the weapons on the field. Otherwise he just doesn't have the vision to fit this scheme.
That's what I was thinking. I was expecting the Texans to try to trade him this offseason. Maybe they want to give him one more year? He's cheap enough to do that.

I think if we can open the field & padd more often on first down we can get him in space. Hopefully the drop off in his trucking ability was due to "thinking too much " & he becomes that punishing runner I fell in love with.
Nothing wrong with hoping.

Which is fine and that’s why we went out and snatched up some big time talent on both sides of the ball. Wait they even upgraded on special teams too lol went out and got the best punter in the NFL.
This regime mean business!

Let’s go Texans

There was an interview with Pierce done towards the end of last season where he talked about even though he wasn't playing, he was learning more than at any other point in his career.

I will be curious to see two things if he's on the roster come TC/Preseason: how adaptable has he been and how the Texans plan to utilize him this year.

There was an interview with Pierce done towards the end of last season where he talked about even though he wasn't playing, he was learning more than at any other point in his career.

I will be curious to see two things if he's on the roster come TC/Preseason: how adaptable has he been and how the Texans plan to utilize him this year.
That sounds like he has a good attitude.

It's easy to get caught up in the jet stream of Diggs and Nico. Tank's the straw that stirs the drink. If he comes back healthy and where he left off, he's the guy to watch on this offense. That guy is magical.
I thought magical was Tom Hanks in Sleepless in seattle?

It's easy to get caught up in the jet stream of Diggs and Nico. Tank's the straw that stirs the drink. If he comes back healthy and where he left off, he's the guy to watch on this offense. That guy is magical.
hammer_hits_nail_with_sparks.jpg

Tank is the kind of guy, if he stays healthy all 17 games can have a significant less amount of targets and receptions than Nico and Diggs and still finish ahead of them in yards and TDs.. I just don't want him involved in blocking on ANY run calls (especially on runs up the middle, hopefully he learned he's not a FB!)

Last edited:
Just a thought about the Diggs trade - shows that Texans were likely to take a WR with the first and were possibly thinking of moving up from #23 to get their guy and that was going to be expensive.
So getting a known quantity to do the specific job they had in mind seem is a good move.
Sure, it's no fun for us draftniks, but it is good for the team.
So now, to look at it objectively, we have pick #42 to add to our draft this year.
One cannot help but acknowledge it's a smart move.

Just a thought about the Diggs trade - shows that Texans were likely to take a WR with the first and were possibly thinking of moving up from #23 to get their guy and that was going to be expensive.
So getting a known quantity to do the specific job they had in mind seem is a good move.
Sure, it's no fun for us draftniks, but it is good for the team.
So now, to look at it objectively, we have pick #42 to add to our draft this year.
One cannot help but acknowledge it's a smart move.
I was once a draftnik, then I wasn't when the Texans sucked because I couldn't bring myself to really study the draft like I used to. I played a little more attention to it this year but I really haven't had time. That said, even in my down years I've watched the draft. The only years I didn't watch the draft going all the way back to the 80's was when Houston had no NFL team. Those years I gambled heavily and played fantasy football in as many leagues as I had time for.

Once a draftnik, always a draftnik. To that end, even if Diggs and the Texans underperform in 2024, I'm not going to lament not having that (extra) second round pick to play with. I agree with you, it's a smart move and one that I can't understand even the slightest bit of criticism for the organization making this trade.

I wanted Nick to trade for a outstanding vet wide receiver that was having difficulties with his original team with said vet having a manageable contract. I was hoping that was AJ Brown but the scenario remained the same with Diggs.

Houston Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud was among the last to know about his team making a big trade for wide receiver Stefon Diggs.

I guess this could go in either the Stroud or Stefon Diggs threads but I put it here

DeMeco Ryans: We don’t care about expectations, talk doesn’t win games
By Josh Alper
Published April 15, 2024 04:44 PM

DeMeco Ryans led the Texans to a division title and a playoff win in his first season as their head coach, so higher expectations were always a sure thing for his second season in Houston.

The Texans’ offseason moves bumped the bar even higher, though. Adding players like Stefon Diggs, Danielle Hunter, Joe Mixon, and Azeez Al-Shaair to the roster alongside the likes of C.J. Stroud, Nico Collins, Will Anderson, and Tank Dell has boosted the team’s Super Bowl odds and created a lot of excitement in Houston about what will happen this fall.

Texans owner Cal McNair said last week that the team embraces that change, but Ryans said on Monday that the team isn’t letting the noise impact how they are preparing for the season.

“We don’t care about expectations,” Ryans said, via DJ Bien-Amie of ESPN.com. “Talk doesn’t win games. We have to go out and play good football when the time comes. . . . We’re always hunting. That doesn’t change for us. Expectations on the outside, whatever that may be, it doesn’t change who we are. The expectation from the outside doesn’t permeate inside our building.”

League history is littered with teams who “won” the offseason before falling short once the season started, so Ryans is wise to keep the Texans’ focus on what’s ahead of them rather than what’s going on around them.

[EDIT: Just noticed, already was posted]

Houston Texans quarterback C.J. Stroud was among the last to know about his team making a big trade for wide receiver Stefon Diggs.

I guess this could go in either the Stroud or Stefon Diggs threads but I put it here
From this article, CJ talks about John Metchie.

Though he played in 16 games a season ago, Metchie should be a full-go for the first time, having lost all of 2022 after a leukemia diagnosis.

"I think last year was good to get his feet back in the water coming off of an injury then something so traumatic like being sick how he was," Stroud said. "His mindset is that he's just ready to come back and ball. Not only is he a great football player, but he's a great person and I wouldn't want anybody else other than those guys in that room. Metchie is looking amazing. Everything that he will put on this field will be no surprise, but I think everybody in this room knows how special he can be, and he'll put that on the field."

I was rewatching this season's games and one thing that stood out while watching them back to back was how many close games the Texans played.

The Texans played 10 one score games in 2023.

Losses
10/08 - Falcons.....L 19 - 21
10/29 - Panthers....L 13 - 15
11/26 - Jaguars.....L 21 - 24

Wins
10/15 - Saints......W 20 - 13
11/05 - Buccaneers..W 39 - 37
11/12 - Bengals.....W 30 - 27
11/19 - Cardinals...W 21 - 16
12/03 - Broncos.....W 22 - 17
12/17 - Titans......W 19 - 16 - OT - Keenum
01/06 - Colts.......W 23 - 19

The Texans had 3 wins of 20+ points.

09/24 - Jaguars.....W 37 - 17
10/01 - Steelers....W 30 - 6
12/31 - Titans......W 26 - 3

I was rewatching this season's games and one thing that stood out while watching them back to back was how many close games the Texans played.

The Texans played 10 one score games in 2023.

Losses
10/08 - Falcons.....L 19 - 21
10/29 - Panthers....L 13 - 15
11/26 - Jaguars.....L 21 - 24

Wins
10/15 - Saints......W 20 - 13
11/05 - Buccaneers..W 39 - 37
11/12 - Bengals.....W 30 - 27
11/19 - Cardinals...W 21 - 16
12/03 - Broncos.....W 22 - 17
12/17 - Titans......W 19 - 16 - OT - Keenum
01/06 - Colts.......W 23 - 19

The Texans had 3 wins of 20+ points.

09/24 - Jaguars.....W 37 - 17
10/01 - Steelers....W 30 - 6
12/31 - Titans......W 26 - 3

I can’t wait to see Slowik in his second year with a seasoned team.

Back