Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Just a thought about the Diggs trade - shows that Texans were likely to take a WR with the first and were possibly thinking of moving up from #23 to get their guy and that was going to be expensive.
So getting a known quantity to do the specific job they had in mind seem is a good move.
Sure, it's no fun for us draftniks, but it is good for the team.
So now, to look at it objectively, we have pick #42 to add to our draft this year.
One cannot help but acknowledge it's a smart move.
I am looking at Stefon Diggs as getting a starter and possibly another pro bowler for a second round pick in 2025. In addition at pick 42 that we got in that trade, we should be able to get another starter. With pic 23 we would have only gotten one starter

I can’t wait to see Slowik in his second year with a seasoned team.
I'm just as excited to see what our revamped defensive line can do. On paper the only thing that can stop them from being in the top defenses is injuries. Of course we have to play the games to see how it all pans out. This upcoming season tops the 2012 season (12-4) for expectations for me.

Texans giving Kenyon Green every opportunity to win the LG job
By Charean Williams
Published April 18, 2024 04:01 PM

Offensive guard Kenyon Green was the 15th overall pick of the Texans in 2022. He has played only 15 games in his two seasons, including none in 2023.

Green began last year’s training camp as the starter at left guard but injured his shoulder in the Texans’ final preseason game and underwent season-ending labrum surgery. Juice Scruggs, Tytus Howard and Josh Jones all started games at left guard in Green’s absence last season.

The Texans would love nothing better than for Green to become the starter and the player they thought he was then they drafted him.

“Working hard, making progress,” Texans General Manager Nick Caserio said, via video from Aaron Wilson of KPRC. “You know he has an opportunity in front of him, so ultimately it’s going to come down to the player and how well he performs.

“KG is a good kid. He’ll have a full offseason, which he hasn’t had. So, we’ll see how it goes here. Certainly has an opportunity in front of him, but nobody is guaranteed anything. So, ultimately, I mean it’s going to come down to how you perform when you’re on the field.”

Green was a two-time All-American at Texas A&M but struggled in pass protection as a rookie. He allowed four sacks and 15 quarterback hits in 15 games.

By Charean Williams

Offensive guard Kenyon Green was the 15th overall pick of the Texans in 2022. He has played only 15 games in his two seasons, including none in 2023.

Green began last year’s training camp as the starter at left guard but injured his shoulder in the Texans’ final preseason game and underwent season-ending labrum surgery. Juice Scruggs, Tytus Howard and Josh Jones all started games at left guard in Green’s absence last season.

The Texans would love nothing better than for Green to become the starter and the player they thought he was then they drafted him.

“Working hard, making progress,” Texans General Manager Nick Caserio said, via video from Aaron Wilson of KPRC. “You know he has an opportunity in front of him, so ultimately it’s going to come down to the player and how well he performs.

“KG is a good kid. He’ll have a full offseason, which he hasn’t had. So, we’ll see how it goes here. Certainly has an opportunity in front of him, but nobody is guaranteed anything. So, ultimately, I mean it’s going to come down to how you perform when you’re on the field.”

Green was a two-time All-American at Texas A&M but struggled in pass protection as a rookie. He allowed four sacks and 15 quarterback hits in 15 games.
He better grab this opportunity with both hands - Nick has his eye on him.

By Charean Williams

I don't get how a two-time All-American could be so bad in their rookie season.

Nick did not say anything real positive on Kenyon., not uber negative either Basically told Kenyon and us you have a chance like everyone else, you should be healthy and fit so go get it, but must perform. I suspect since he traded up for him he wants Kenyon to prove him right, but I also felt it was a put up or get out year for him albeit he still has a year on his rookie contract plus option..

The draft can be such a crapshoot. One year at pick 86 you could be drafting Mark Andrews. The next year you could be drafting Kahale Warring!

Probably just me, but it seems like there's not as much draft talk this close as in the past. Perhaps it's because of not having a round one but I am really looking forward to next Thursday just to see how other teams do.

Probably just me, but it seems like there's not as much draft talk this close as in the past. Perhaps it's because of not having a round one but I am really looking forward to next Thursday just to see how other teams do.
I think, at least in my case, we did so well in free agency, we filled out the team and there's no glaring need to address. And this draft is so deep, into the 3rd and 4th rounds, even the 6th, there's so many different ways this draft can go, we can't hardly go wrong. It's just a case of waiting to see how Ryans and Caserio go. With the team so balanced, we're really going to get a feel for how Ryans is taking the team.

Umm too busy arguing about uniforms to be distracted by the draft! Good gawd man get your priorities straight and get into the uniform thread! (I jest).

The draft can be such a crapshoot. One year at pick 86 you could be drafting Mark Andrews. The next year you could be drafting Kahale Warring!

You've just described the difference between a good GM who's on the same page as his HC and scouts. Unlike what's been going on down on Kirby for the last 2 decades.

I am good to go with Mixon and hopefully Pierce will be able to be a little bit more successful than last season. We can pick up somebody low round seven or even perhaps udfa to back up.
I want it all now and it is in reach.
Give me that solid 1 - 2 punch out of the back field.
Having the knowledge you can impose your will in the run game is handy if your passing game is stifled - and vice versa.
I'm thinking here if CJ gets hurt and QB #2 has to play.
Having two options is obviously better than one.
Scenario:- You're in the AFCCG and CJ is out early - in comes Mills and just hands it off continuously because he's moving the sticks ...

Last edited:
I want it all now and it is in reach.
Give me that solid 1 - 2 punch out of the back field.
Having the knowledge you can impose your will in the run game is handy if your passing game is stifled - and vice versa.
I'm thinking here if CJ gets hurt and QB #2 has to play.
Having two options is obviously better than one.
Scenario:- You're in the AFCCG and CJ is out early - in comes Mills and just hands it off continuously because he's moving the sticks ...
being able to run against Jets in bad weather would help protect CJ on that abomination of a field!

I'm on board with keeping Mills as a backup. I don't think he's as bad as some on this MB thinks he is. No way I would let Stroud play in New Jersey, gotta keep him healthy.

How many QB's were hurt playing in the Meadowlands in the past couple of years? I know Aaron Rodgers and CJ had the concussion, but who else?

PS - your idea ain't happening. CJ is playing every game he is healthy. Same with the others you mentioned.

I think, at least in my case, we did so well in free agency, we filled out the team and there's no glaring need to address. And this draft is so deep, into the 3rd and 4th rounds, even the 6th, there's so many different ways this draft can go, we can't hardly go wrong. It's just a case of waiting to see how Ryans and Caserio go. With the team so balanced, we're really going to get a feel for how Ryans is taking the team.
I hate to disagree with you but I do on almost every count. In this year's draft, the strongest and deepest positions are OT, WR, QB, and edge. Those are the strengths of the Texans right now. The two biggest needs on the team are CB and DT which are just okay in this draft. The Texans can also use some help at LB and that's the position most analyst agree is the weakest in this draft.

That said, I'm glad they don't need a QB, OT, or WR.

I do agree that the Texans have a number of options for them in this draft. Unlike the dreary years of the previous regimes, I feel like the Texans will find a way to check off all the boxes while balancing value along the way. I.E., they're going to draft some players at areas of need, just maybe not in the round we expect. I could see them drafting a 2nd tier need safety, guard or wide receiver before a DT or CB. But they'll make smart decisions. I don't see them draft guys like Braxton Miller or Kahale Warring. Let's convert an injured QB to a WR and a water polo guy into a TE. Not going to happen with Nick and DeMeco.

The three vet LBs the Texans have added in free agency all have 32”+ arm length. I expect if the Texans add a rookie, they will also meet this length threshold.

Arm lengths:

Azeez 32 3/8”
Del’shawn Phillips 33 1/4”
Jacob Phillips 32 3/8”

And add the LB drafted last season To’o To’o 32 3/4”

Harris came in at 32 1/8” under the Lovie regime but has earned a starting spot.

I suspect DeMeco wants LBs with 32”+ arms.

The only LB on the roster sub 32” arms is Neville Hewitt 31 5/8”. But he is ST demon moreso than LB playing only 3 defensive snaps last season and 84% of the ST snaps.

The three vet LBs the Texans have added in free agency all have 32”+ arm length. I expect if the Texans add a rookie, they will also meet this length threshold.

Arm lengths:

Azeez 32 3/8”
Del’shawn Phillips 33 1/4”
Jacob Phillips 32 3/8”

And add the LB drafted last season To’o To’o 32 3/4”

Harris came in at 32 1/8” under the Lovie regime but has earned a starting spot.

I suspect DeMeco wants LBs with 32”+ arms.

The only LB on the roster sub 32” arms is Neville Hewitt 31 5/8”. But he is ST demon moreso than LB playing only 3 defensive snaps last season and 84% of the ST snaps.
Good info. Arm length is Wilson's big negative. I'd suggest his 4.43 forty and his 1.53 ten yd split offsets this limitation.

How many QB's were hurt playing in the Meadowlands in the past couple of years? I know Aaron Rodgers and CJ had the concussion, but who else?

PS - your idea ain't happening. CJ is playing every game he is healthy. Same with the others you mentioned.
True and there is probably a price to be paid for that decision, just like it was last year playing in that dump.

Good info. Arm length is Wilson's big negative. I'd suggest his 4.43 forty and his 1.53 ten yd split offsets this limitation.
Maybe. But keep in mind our Christian Harris ran a 4.44 with a 1.54 ten yd split. Same 34.5” vertical to Wilson but Harris Broad jump was 11” to Wilson’s 9’11”… and Harris dropped to the 3rd round without the medical history.

Did not have the same level of production as Wilson but he was a three year starter at Bama who played his best football in the biggest games (SEC and National championship). He also did not have Wilson’s injury history.

All that being said, I suspect Wilson will be closer to pick 59 than 42 when its all said and done.

Back