Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

You're a business owner.
If you suggest something to your employees or even step in and make a command decision, do you call that meddling?

My style of doing things works like this.

I hire people, train them up and let them do their jobs. When they make mistakes I address the issues. (This is a fairly rare occurance, long time employees understand what needs to be done and they put pressure on the new hires to do the job right because it makes their jobs easier. What I dont do is tell my employees they're free to do what they want to do and then when they tell me they're going to do something, I dont say. I know I said I was going to give you freedom to do what you think is the right thing to do, but you cant do this or that.

I used to be the lead CA at a company and was in charge of training and sales. One of the reasons I left was because my ex boss runs his company like the McNair's do. You run the sow until you dont. I couldn't stand that management style.

I've only been in business for myself since 1994 and we're #1 in the state at what we do. So I was lucky to learn what not to do. Sometimes that's as important as knowing what to do. Simply put, hire good people and let them do their jobs and my life got much easier.

The secondary is apparently looking good, although the receiver room is probably less gifted than most of the units they'll face. A couple of receivers dropped catchable passes. Tank Dell dropped a punt.

It sounds like the biggest offensive needs going into next season will be tight end and wide receiver.

The Texans made the decision to start bolstering other positions of concern before wide receiver. When you have a team decimated by terrible front office decisions for several years, maybe historically bad, you're not going to fix that in one or two offseasons.

I believe the Texans will be able to significantly improve their wr corps next year. I think they should have drafted a TE this year because I don't think we'll see a more promising class of TE's than we just saw.

That is remarkable! How are companies like yours rated and compared?
I don't know,.

We specialize in nursing home, section 8 housing and pre treatments before they build apartment complexes.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
The Texans made the decision to start bolstering other positions of concern before wide receiver. When you have a team decimated by terrible front office decisions for several years, maybe historically bad, you're not going to fix that in one or two offseasons.

I believe the Texans will be able to significantly improve their wr corps next year. I think they should have drafted a TE this year because I don't think we'll see a more promising class of TE's than we just saw.

Need only to be in position to draft TE, Brock Bowers to forget not drafting a TE in this past draft. Had he entered the 2023 draft, he would’ve been the first TE off the board….in RD1.

The Texans made the decision to start bolstering other positions of concern before wide receiver.
Too be fair, the Texans really don't know what they have in regards to previous WR investments (Collins, Metchie). They did take a WR in the 3rd that could be as good as some taken in the 1st of this draft. It's a year of evaluation.
Disappointed because no one should wear 80 or 99 again.
It would be awkward to see some schmo out there wearing those unis. Just retire the numbers, please.

Well guys, this is now the time of year that sucks lemons. For roughly the next 6 weeks it's nothingness.

The players and FO flee and take their vacations and retreats and generally decompress. Don't get me wrong - they need the time.

But there's just nothing for fans. Unless you love arguing with other people over uniform numbers and colors and other meaningless tripe.

This is when, like a bear, I take a period to hibernate myself. I might peak in now and then but for the most part, I'll leave you guys to it until TC.

Assuming I don't get run over by a bus or the creek doesn't swallow me whole...I'll see you guys in about 6 weeks. Arivaderchi!

Texans DE Jerry Hughes sees 'lot of upside' in rookie Dylan Horton
Mark Lane

June 14, 2023 9:06 am CT

Jerry Hughes has known Dylan Horton for a while.

The Houston Texans’ fourth-round pick was wearing Hughes’ No. 98 while with TCU, their alma mater. At the Horned Frogs’ spring game last year, Hughes introduced himself to his future Texans teammate.

“He was wearing No. 98, so, I figured go see who the guy is at TCU who is rocking my old number,” Hughes told reporters June 13 at mandatory minicamp.

Most spectators are aware the Texans shored up their edge defense with Alabama defensive end Will Anderson at No. 3 overall. However, the Texans continued to add to their trenches with Horton at No. 109 overall in Round 4.

Hughes summed up Horton as, “another tall, tremendous athlete with a lot of upside,” who has the ability to, “kind of get off the ball, use some of his size to his advantage.

Horton is listening to the instruction defensive line coach Jacques Cesaire and assistant defensive line coach Rod Wright have been dispensing throughout the Texans’ offseason workouts.

Along with undrafted defensive end Ali Gaye from LSU, Hughes believes the Texans’ defensive line has a trio of rookies who can help Houston achieve their objectives defensively in 2023.

Said Hughes: “It’s going to make us that better of a team when we have young guys that can fly around, play fast, and also be smart as well.”

The Texans gave up the most rushing yards last season at 170.2, and gave up the fourth-most yards per carry at 5.1. Having an attacking defensive line with younger players hitting their potential is a recipe to fortify the trenches.

Well guys, this is now the time of year that sucks lemons. For roughly the next 6 weeks it's nothingness.

The players and FO flee and take their vacations and retreats and generally decompress. Don't get me wrong - they need the time.

But there's just nothing for fans. Unless you love arguing with other people over uniform numbers and colors and other meaningless tripe.

This is when, like a bear, I take a period to hibernate myself. I might peak in now and then but for the most part, I'll leave you guys to it until TC.

Assuming I don't get run over by a bus or the creek doesn't swallow me whole...I'll see you guys in about 6 weeks. Arivaderchi!

For sports fans June and July SUCK! For college football fans there is always recruiting to follow, which NEVER ends. As for the NFL, what is there? Speculating about the 24' draft?

Texans DE Jerry Hughes sees 'lot of upside' in rookie Dylan Horton
Mark Lane

June 14, 2023 9:06 am CT

Jerry Hughes has known Dylan Horton for a while.

The Houston Texans’ fourth-round pick was wearing Hughes’ No. 98 while with TCU, their alma mater. At the Horned Frogs’ spring game last year, Hughes introduced himself to his future Texans teammate.

“He was wearing No. 98, so, I figured go see who the guy is at TCU who is rocking my old number,” Hughes told reporters June 13 at mandatory minicamp.

Most spectators are aware the Texans shored up their edge defense with Alabama defensive end Will Anderson at No. 3 overall. However, the Texans continued to add to their trenches with Horton at No. 109 overall in Round 4.

Hughes summed up Horton as, “another tall, tremendous athlete with a lot of upside,” who has the ability to, “kind of get off the ball, use some of his size to his advantage.

Horton is listening to the instruction defensive line coach Jacques Cesaire and assistant defensive line coach Rod Wright have been dispensing throughout the Texans’ offseason workouts.

Along with undrafted defensive end Ali Gaye from LSU, Hughes believes the Texans’ defensive line has a trio of rookies who can help Houston achieve their objectives defensively in 2023.

Said Hughes: “It’s going to make us that better of a team when we have young guys that can fly around, play fast, and also be smart as well.”

The Texans gave up the most rushing yards last season at 170.2, and gave up the fourth-most yards per carry at 5.1. Having an attacking defensive line with younger players hitting their potential is a recipe to fortify the trenches.

When looking at top NFL programs one thing they seem to have in common is finding undervalued players that turn out to be good players. Once their past the first couple of rounds it seems critical that the team's scouting department has the Midas touch in identifying and then drafting those players.

I forgot to mention regarding yesterday's podcast that the host said receivers were NOT making space and that the secondary did a great job and that CJ had to hold the ball too long and that in an actual game he would have probably been sacked. I look at this way, the secondary needs to be a strength of the team and if this apparently average receivers room was running roughshod over the secondary, THAT would be a concern!

What did you think the last 3 years were? I came in after 51-7 expecting nothingness and got a whole lot more than I could imagine for 3 years.

I am glad the ship is on the right course.

Potential franchise QB
Two good running backs
Better OL
Better defense all around
Exciting HC
GM who can draft starters after round 1

Future is looking good.

6 weeks won’t kill us. But those aliens might.

FIFY

Baseball takes over the summer and Astros are defending World Champs and have been to the last 6 ALCS series

I loved baseball growing up but lost interest as an adult. I was a Dodgers fan and I remember a lot of great battles with the Astros when they had guys like JR Smith, Phil Niekro, and some others that don't immediately come to mind.

I loved baseball growing up but lost interest as an adult. I was a Dodgers fan and I remember a lot of great battles with the Astros when they had guys like JR Smith, Phil Niekro, and some others that don't immediately come to mind.

Good thing your aren’t a Dodgers fan anymore. There is a rule that you can’t be a Dodgers fan and still be a member of this board. They cry too much.

You can be a Yankees fan though because the Astros own them.

See you in 6 weeks. I am sure you won't miss much. Trending topics in 6 weeks will still be;
Stroud is dumb as a box of rocks because the S2 says so
Stroud hangs out with the wrong crowd
You will see in 3 years!
Mulugheta is the devil
Cal is cheap
Cal is meddlesome
Anderson was a reach
Mills wasn't given a fair chance
Nothing has changed down on Kirby
Marketing company with a football division

oh...and NO EXCUSES!

See you in 6 weeks buddy.

I forgot to mention regarding yesterday's podcast that the host said receivers were NOT making space and that the secondary did a great job and that CJ had to hold the ball too long and that in an actual game he would have probably been sacked. I look at this way, the secondary needs to be a strength of the team and if this apparently average receivers room was running roughshod over the secondary, THAT would be a concern!

The Texans have one of the more talented secondaries in the league. And if the DL holds up their end of the deal with the pass rush, it should make their job that much easier. Pass defense is a strength for this team.

I just read article here quoting Ryans saying Tank was frequently open...

TRANSCRIPT

Ring of Honor Inductee J.J. Watt
How are you, J.J.?
“I’m good. Are you allowed to still ask questions when your name is on the Hall of Fame wall. What happened?”
I was in demand. I had to come back, make J.J. Watt-type money. “I don't make any money anymore. I hope you're making more than me (smiling).”
I wanted to ask you, a lot of people want to know, what are you doing besides owning a soccer team, and what are your plans? Are you going to be on TV this season? Is NFL ownership next? “We got some things in the works. There will be some stuff that comes out in the next few weeks, I'm sure. Still finalizing things, working on things. The number one thing I want to do is spend time with my family and enjoy being a dad, with Kea[lia] and Koa. Anything that I do, especially this fall, is going to be in a limited role. I'm not going to do anything in a full-time capacity really. It's going to be maximizing my time and ability to spend time with my family, going over to England a few times obviously to watch Burnley play. NFL ownership to me is interesting, but it's also -- when you talk ownership, you talk your ability to do something, to make an impact, to actually have some sort of input and say and ability. When you're talking a five, six billion dollar endeavor, the reality of the situation is that's financially massively out of my realm. There's not really an actual space to be able to have any input or to have any say. If that opportunity were to present itself where there actually was a meaningful way to do stuff, I would absolutely be up for it. As of right now, I would rather spend my time somewhere where I can actually help make a difference.”
What do you think it will be like having your brother and all your family in attendance for the Steelers game? “It will be great. I'm really excited to get back. I'm mainly excited to get back in front of the Houston fans. I absolutely love Houston, I love the people, I love what we've built. I love the camaraderie, the chemistry, the family that it's really become. I've said it so many times, but it is the honest truth. Every single time I step foot in the city of Houston, it feels like I'm surrounded by my family. It's special for me. To have my actual family there on that day, playing against T.J. and the Steelers, will be great. I'm looking forward to it. I can't wait to get back in front of that crowd.”
When you left the Texans, they granted your request to be released. How much did you appreciate that? What does it feel like to be coming back and being in the Ring of Honor? Would you be willing to sign a one-day contract and retire as a Texan? “We talked about this at that time of the release. Obviously, they were going through a very tough time, a difficult time. We knew this day was going to come, that we were all going to reunite and come back together. As far as the one-day contract, I personally just don't really understand or see the reason for it. It's more just a ceremonial piece of paper. I think that the Ring of Honor and all that that comes with it is more than enough. I think they've done it first class the whole way and I appreciate that. I haven't even filled out or done any retirement papers or anything. So I don't really feel the need to sign a one-day contract or anything. It's just a piece of paper.”
In this moment, you mentioned coming back to Houston, being a part of this again, a situation where your former teammate DeMeco Ryans is here as a head coach, what is this time like to return with this team, where they're at? Where do you see things are in from when you first left? “I think Houston is in an incredibly exciting position right now. I think if you look at everything that's transpired this off-season in particular, it really signifies the vision and the plans for where this organization wants to go and where it can go. I mean, you hired DeMeco Ryans, who obviously in my opinion is an absolute home run hire in terms of knowledge, his wisdom, his energy, his experience. Then also being a legend, a Houston legend, who he is, what he brings from a leadership standpoint. Then you go out in the draft and you really show people you're serious, you're trying to make incredible moves right now to make this thing go for the next however many years with C.J. and Will. I feel like things are really in a good place right now, I think there's an exciting future. I think there's absolutely going to be some adversity along the way. It's not going to be a smooth, easy transition. But, I think you give DeMeco the proper time, you give him the proper leeway to be able to do what he needs to do and build this thing the right way over time, I think in a few years we're going to look back at this off-season and say that was a really, really good one for the Texans.”
I'm curious, once you decided to retire, did you actually seek out advice on what to do in retirement? What is some of the best advice you feel you've gotten? “Yeah, I have. I certainly have because it's not an easy transition. I've been playing football since fifth grade. So this is literally going to be my first fall without going to a training camp, without playing football, without going to games. It's difficult. It's certainly something that you have to consciously make that adjustment and talk yourself through it to make sure that you're trying to do the right things and not letting yourself go asway. The one thing a lot of people told me was to take your time, really enjoy and appreciate the time that you now have with your family, with your son. Don't jump all into really anything, which is why this fall I'm definitely going to be taking things slow and kind of testing the waters, doing things piece by piece, just to see what I really enjoy, to see what I really want to do as we move forward. Then it's just, for me personally, I'm a competitive guy. I'm going to miss the competition, the locker room, the guys, something to compete in. Right now, golf is kicking my ass. So, I've got a lot of work to do there, got plenty of time to work on it (smiling). My wife and I have some pickle ball contests as well so we’re going back and forth on that. So, we’ve got no shortage of competition in my life.”
How do you process the accolades once you stepped away from the game? It's kind of fresh and it's going to be different when the game is there in front of you, you're not playing, but how do you process this, kind of come to terms with what you've accomplished, what you mean to so many people? “Yeah, I appreciate that. I think it's twofold. One, it's obviously extremely humbling, it's an honor. Everybody saying such nice things is incredible. At the very same time, it is slightly sad because it does signify the end of a chapter, and it does signify, you watch the highlights, you see the videos, you see the plays, you know that you can't create any more of those. You know those days are gone. And it is sad. But at the same time, it's so much fun for me to look back on those moments and to talk to people about those times and relive them a little bit in my head. But, yeah, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't sad knowing I can't go out there and create any more of those. But the reality of it is it comes to an end for every single player at some point. So that day comes for everybody. I'm just reconciling with it a little earlier than some.”
Now that you are a father, how much has fatherhood played into your decision to walk away from the NFL? “Yeah, it's certainly a big part of it. It is the best thing in the entire world. It's a lot of work, don't get me wrong. It's tiring. But it is the greatest thing in the entire world. I really want Koa to be able to attend a game of mine in the NFL. He's been to a few. I really want to be able to spend time with him moving forward and everything that comes along with it. I think the mental and the physical stresses that I put on myself playing in the NFL, also come with just the fact of being an NFL player, are so demanding and so high that, I mean, I'd get myself in a bad mood if I have a bad workout knowing it could affect me in a game down the road. I didn't want to bring any of that home. I didn't want to have to deal with that anymore. I must say, it certainly has been a much more stress-free off-season so far, now that I’m not grinding it out trying to get myself ready for a season.”
Looking back at your career, seeing where you are now, you mentioned it's the first time since fifth grade you won't be doing a training camp, are you at peace at this point with your decision to be able to walk away from the game? “100%, yeah. I’m absolutely at peace with it. Very much enjoying it. I really believe the mental stress of it all is just as relieving as the physical stress of it. Like I said, probably wrongly, I know that I'm probably wrong in how much stress I put on myself to try and push yourself to be great, but to have that weight lifted off. If I get a workout in today, awesome. If I don't work out today, I go to the golf course instead, no problem. It's the best, and I'm enjoying it very much. There's one thing that I didn't get to accomplish in the league, and the reality of the situation is there's tons and tons of people that will never accomplish that. It's unfortunate. I wish I did. But I had a great career with a lot of memories. If you told fifth grade J.J. that he would be where he is today, he would be just fine with it.”
I can't remember a player playing his last road game in a stadium where the fans give him a standing ovation and chant his name while he's hugging his little boy and wife. What was that like for you at the 49ers? Matt Burke made you cry. What do you think about Matt Burke? “So the first question, it's a twofold answer. Number one, we were getting the brakes beat off of us, 30-0. We were down by 30 points. There's bittersweetness there. I will say that's honestly another part of the reason that I definitely am not coming back. When you walk away from the game, your last moment walking off an NFL field is in an opponent's stadium—division opponent's stadium—and they chant your name as you step off the field, with your son, wife and parents in attendance, I'm not getting a much better moment than that from a personal standpoint. Being able to hug my wife, my son and my parents on an NFL field for the last time, it was special to me. Then Burke is a good man. You guys got a good one. I hope his press conferences have been as entertaining as some of his meetings. He has got stories for days. I've heard them all, some of them twice, some of them more than twice. I have to remind him, ‘You told me the Kilimanjaro story three times, Burke. It’s enough.’ He's a good one. I love him. For him to have only been with me for a handful of months, and to go through the time, energy and effort that it took him to put together that video, to get all those people rounded up, speaks to who he is as a person and what he's about. He told me, he said, ‘People are getting you gifts and people are doing all this. I knew the one thing you wanted was to hear from the people in your life and the people that you respect the most.’ It truly was one of the greatest gifts I've ever received and something I'll cherish for the rest of my life. I'll definitely be down there to visit Burke many times because he's that special of a person. We're friends for life. I've actually been speaking with Vincent Kompany, our manager at Burnley. He wants to experience what an NFL week is like. He wants to see what everything is about. And so, I told Burke, ‘Would you mind if we sat in a few of your meetings this fall?’ He said, ‘No problem.’ So, we may have Vincent Kompany coming over this fall to check out some Texans time.”
You mentioned fatherhood, then your health challenges you had. When you finally made the decision, what part weighed the most, the fatherhood, the health challenge, the combination of 12 years in the league? “A little bit of it all. My injuries are no secret obviously. The hard thing, really, it weighed a little bit into it for sure. I think it was much scarier in the moment than it is now. The injuries overall is certainly something. I finished my last season fully healthy with 12 and a half sacks, and I think however many TFLs. I was proud of that. The reality is I've been hurt a few times in the last few years, and I did not want my last memory on the NFL field to be going off with an injury. Can I still do it? Absolutely. I just did it with 12 and a half sacks. But how hard do you have to work, how much preparation goes into being great in the NFL? I don't know if people fully understand or appreciate it, especially as you get older. So can I still do it? Absolutely. But I just have to warm up for way longer, take care of my body way more, and I have to invest that much more time and energy into it. Quite frankly, I didn't feel like doing that any more.”
A sentimental question. What you were first drafted, I referred to you as possibly the most Texany Texan. What do you think of that then and now? “I do remember, Stephanie. I do remember it well. And I can tell you what I thought at the time because I still remember it now. I remember, ‘They're actually accepting me as one of their own a little bit.’ It gave me a lot of confidence and it gave me a lot of comfort knowing I came to a new city, knowing I came to a new place with people that have never met me, that I had never met before, but they were open and willing to bring me into their family. I literally do remember reading that, thinking to myself, ‘Alright, you can do this, you can be a part of this community. Now when I look back on it, and I look back on everything, it's special. Like I've said many times, the bond that's been created between the city and myself is something that I cherish so greatly because I never expected it to happen. You hope it happens. I think every athlete would love to have that type of connection with a city. Unfortunately we also went through a lot of adversity to get there, which bonded us closer. The reality is, we have something that's so incredible, and I'm forever grateful for it.”
DeMeco Ryans was asked about you going into the Ring of Honor. He couldn't say enough great things about you. A teammate who respects you so much. What are your thoughts about DeMeco and the rest of your teammates and the world just loving on you right now? “I think the feeling is extremely mutual. I could not say enough words about DeMeco Ryans about who he is as a person, about who he was as a captain for us, as a teammate, and now who he's going to be as a head coach. I think there's a reason so many former players are so excited about getting back out, getting out to training camp practices and getting out around the team and being a part of this and publicly supporting. It's because of who he is and what he's done. Everybody that's reached out since I retired—players, teammates, coaches, media members, everybody, it's been incredible. It's kind of one of those things where you don't really realize the different ways and the different lives that are touched and impacted until it's kind of all over a little bit. But it's been a blast to connect with a lot of people, some people I haven't spoken to in a while. It's going to be fun to get back to Houston and connect with everybody again. I've been talking with everybody over there now. So excited to get back in that building and be around the fans.”
Obviously your pro football career has ended, but you created a new career as owning an English Premier League team. Houston sports legends are really big. After hurricane Harvey, that kind of locked you in as a Houston sports legend. Do you feel that love from the city came during that time? Reminisce about that time. “Yeah, I mean, Hakeem, Earl, absolute legends of this town. They're legends for a reason, and they’ve done unbelievable things. I'm honored to be even mentioned amongst such names. There's obviously more to come in the future, and I'm looking forward to seeing and watching and being a part of it all. My wife and I, we still watch Astros games, we still flip on the Rockets games at night. We are certainly H-Town. For me obviously what we went through is horrible and tragic with Hurricane Harvey and everything that came with it. Like I've said many times, I think there's an extreme bond that's formed going through adversity, fighting through it, coming out the other side stronger. Houston has certainly done that. It has shown how resilient it is, how strong it is. I'm extremely proud to be associated with a city like Houston. As far as Burnley goes, I'm extremely excited about it. It’s something I've loved for a long time. [President] Greg Grissom literally was texting me today about possibly trying to get Burnley over for a game in NRG Stadium next year. So, it’s really exciting. I think we’ve got some really big things in the works. We're really looking forward to it. Anybody in Houston who is looking for a Premier League team to jump onboard with, we welcome you on the Burnley bandwagon.”
Is there a part of it that's a little bit liberating to be able to be known to your children as something different than current superstar athlete? “Yeah, I think there's certainly something about that not being entirely our identity, especially for him. I also think on the flipside of that, I do kind of wish that he could see me when he's, like, 10 years old, he could see me go out there and have a three-sack game and just beat up an offensive lineman. I could come home and be like, ‘Dude, go to your room. You just saw what I did, I'll do it to you, no problem.’ So, I'm a little worried about that. Certainly, at some point, that first time he lips off, I'm going to put YouTube videos in front of his face and say, ‘This is me, you don't want to mess with me’ (smiling). But we're not there yet.” You'll be able to split wood for a long time. That's just as impressive to a 10-year-old. “My dogs don't listen to me for ****. So, I don't know how the hell I'm going to get this kid to listen to me. But I'm trying, man. I'm trying.”
You're totally retired. Was there any part of you that thought I could lose 20 pounds, be a strictly third down edge rushing specialist? “Right now, I'm like 277, 278. I've lost three or four pounds, nothing crazy. I still train four or five days a week. I just don't run a lot. I'll do a little bit of cardio, but it's all weights, trying to literally look good now, not trying to actually be a good athlete. There's a part of me, my body feels really good because I'm not putting that pounding on it. My knees feel great, everything feels great. There's definitely that moment every now and then where you’re like, ‘I can turn the corner right now, real easy.’ But then I start to think to myself, Trent Williams is going to stick his hand in your face. I don't feel like doing that. I don't want to do that.”
They're not all Trent Williams. “I'm very, very at peace with it. I'm very happy about it. The only time I was really like ‘Oh, damn’ was when I was asking my agent, ‘Let's say I did go into free agency this year.’ I saw a lot of the numbers that were being thrown around in free agency. And I was like, ‘I have more sacks than that guy, I have more than that guy.’ And I was like, ‘What would I have gotten in free agency?’ He told me the numbers, and I was like, ‘Just, you get to relax, man. You get to relax and be with your son. Just be with your son (smiling). Other than that, I haven't really thought about it. I'm good, doing great. Like I said, golf course is my new home.”
When you think about your time in Houston, think about the culture, the people, even meeting your wife here, how did that shape and mold the J.J. Watt today? “I think hands down, the melting pot that is Houston has made such a significant impact on me. I mean, I grew up in Wisconsin. I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee in Wisconsin. I didn't experience a massive amount of different cultures or different experiences. So, when I got to Houston, I got to experience all different things. I got to experience all different types of diversity in people, in food, in cultures, in backgrounds, everything. That's played a huge part in my development as a person and human. Obviously meeting my wife and changing my life forever in that way was a massive part of my experience down there, as well. But, the fans, the teammates, the coaches, my life doesn't look anywhere near the same if I don't get drafted out of Houston and I don’t experience the experiences I experienced over those 10 years. I've said it many times before that I live the life that I live because NFL fans support the league and support the teams, and Houston fans supported me. It's no secret that I get to live in a nice house, and I get to drive a nice car, and I get to provide a nice life for my son because of these great fans. I'm extremely appreciative and grateful for that. It's never, ever lost on me how cool that is.”
Do you consider yourself close enough to the game that you get a sense of what the Texans have in Will Anderson Jr.? Secondly, with how positively you talked about where the Texans are headed, could you see your former twotime teammate DeAndre Hopkins playing for the Texans next season? “I can answer both those questions. I think Will is a phenomenal player. I'm very excited to watch him grow, to watch him develop, to see what Burke does with him in that defense, DeMeco's defense. The attack mindset, watching. He's a freak athlete. He's already great at getting to the quarterback. So I'm excited to watch him develop and grow, and hopefully get down there and speak with him a bit as well at some point. For me as a pass-rusher, I'm very excited to watch Will. For the team as a whole, I really do think there's very, very exciting things coming up. I mean, we went through some tough times to get to these days. You had to kind of build that arsenal. I think Nick had to obviously do some things that you don't necessarily always want to do as a GM, to put yourself in a situation to have a draft like they just had and kind of push all your chips into the middle of the table and say, ‘Alright, now we're going to do it, now we're on this swing.’ From year to year now, it's a combination of adding more pieces and developing the ones that you do have. In terms of Hop[kins], that's completely up to him what he wants to do. I've said it many times, he still has the best hands in the NFL. If you throw the ball within 10 yards, the man is going to catch it. It's completely up to him what he's looking for, what he wants to do. I know he’s obviously said previously he wants to go somewhere and win, have a chance to win a Super Bowl. I think anybody here right now can realistically say we may be a year or two or so away from the true competition for that. We got to get DeMeco's system in place. Hopefully they surprise the **** out of us, and that would be great if it was this year. But I think there's certainly a process here and we have to respect that process as well.”
Aside from being stress-free, getting the extra time with your family, what are some more underrated great aspects of retirement? What were your first impressions when you got here of DeMeco Ryans? “Some of the more underrated aspects of retirement? Being able to eat more freely, both eating more delicious foods and also not having to eat so many calories every day. I think that's a huge thing. I don't have to wake up in the morning and shove three cups of oatmeal down my throat. I get to just relax and eat what I want. Then also at a restaurant, I feel like having a slice of pie, a slice of cake, get it, go ahead. That's been very, very nice. Let’s see, what else? Traveling, being able to travel, not have to plan and coordinate exactly what gym I'm going to work out at. When we go to England, I train at the facility at Burnley’s place. I got some dumbbells and a bike in my garage. I’ll just go out there and work out, I don't have to find a field and do everything. When I first got here, my first impressions with DeMeco, I said it in a tweet, I literally thought so much of DeMeco, I said, ‘Where do you live?’ He told me. I said, ‘If it's good enough for DeMeco, it's good enough for me.’ I bought the house across the street from him. That is the epitome of what I thought of DeMeco Ryans upon meeting him. This guy does everything right on the field, he does everything right off the field. He is the type of person I want to emulate and be like. If he chose this house, that means it's a smart, good decision, a great place to live. That means that's where I should live. So, I literally bought the house across the street from him because he's that guy.”
Thank you, J.J. Very generous with your time. “Thank you, guys. Can't wait to see you all come the fall. I'm going to eat so much food in that city, I don't think there's going to be any left. I cannot wait.”

Transcript June 13

June 13

Chairman and CEO Cal McNair and Vice President of the Houston Texans Foundation Hannah McNair:
On where the team is right now and the improvements that Head Coach DeMeco Ryans has made thus far Cal McNair: “Well, you see it every day. The team is getting better. That's really what we want to see through this time period. What he says is iron sharpens iron, so he has the guys working against each other, trying to get better. We're looking forward to getting to training camp which is where it really gets started for the season. It's coming along really well.”
On what they are most excited about in regards to the team Cal McNair: “Just everything. I love the offense. I'm a big fan of this offense. Excited to see the defense come together, under DeMeco. Watching the team really come together is really exciting for me because it's all about the team coming together and playing great ball.”
On what went into the process of inducting former DE J.J. Watt into the Ring of Honor yesterday and what it meant to include him in this legacy Hannah McNair: “I think a couple years ago ‘Grammy’ [Janice McNair] started that conversation with him, saying, ‘when you're ready, you come back. We're going to treat you right and put you in the Ring of Honor.’ So that conversation started before with Cal's mom and J.J. [Watt].” Cal McNair: “He's been a dominant player in the league and for us and meant a lot to our community. So, we're really excited to have this happen.” Hannah McNair: “Best defensive player.”
On how it feels knowing that J.J. Watt still considers the city of Houston and the Texans as ‘home’ Hannah McNair: “It's right. This is his home. It's right. It feels really good.” Cal McNair: “Feels really good. Excited to have him back. After he retired, we reached out to him to see what he would like to do because we had talked several years ago about bringing him back. He was excited for that. He and his family will be back October 1st and it will be a big day – happy day for all of us.” Hannah McNair: “And his whole family. I mean, they get to do it together, which is really special and what we're all about.”
On the importance of selecting the Steelers’ game for J.J. Watt’s induction into the Ring of Honor, especially since his brothers Derek [Watt] and T.J. [Watt] play for the Steelers Cal McNair: “Well, this is a day for J.J.. This is really his day to celebrate him. He picked this day, so we wanted to acknowledge that and have this be his day.” Hannah McNair: “He's all about his family and we recognize that. We're all about family. So, to be able to do it on the Steelers game, to be able to have them coming here is the cherry on top.”
On their impressions of QB C.J. Stroud and DE Will Anderson Jr. Cal McNair: “They're really great kids. They are young. I shouldn't say 'kids'. But, I am older, so... maybe I can say that. They're really great athletes, great attitudes. They're coachable. They're great teammates. We're excited to see their growth.” Hannah McNair: “They're hungry. I would say they're hungry, they’re ready to learn. It's contagious for the guys around them. You can see that. They're all ready to win.”
On how meaningful it is to bring J.J. Watt back into the organization this way and how the organization has embraced it Hannah McNair: “I would say we had a pretty good year. Pretty good year.” Cal McNair: “Yeah, and it's just starting. We're having a lot of fun. We had a little fun, a little different thing you saw on Friday where we let out a little bit, ‘Hey, something's coming on Monday.’ So, you see us doing different things and having fun in different ways. That's part of it. But it's just a beginning, so we're really excited about where things are going.” Hannah McNair: “When you talk about growth, yes, you do go through hard times, and you learn a lot. It's how you deal with that and how you grow – where you go. So, we are going up. We've learned a lot in the past few years. I think that's taking us to the next level.”
On what it was like to have Mrs. Janice McNair out at practice today Cal McNair: “It's very cool. She loves the team, loves football and couldn't wait to get out here. So, we're excited to have her.”
On what Mrs. McNair thinks of the deals, trades and draft? Hannah McNair: “She was in the draft room. She loved it. She loves this. This is her other family. We're all her family, so... She's just as passionate about this as anybody. Her and Bob [McNair] brought this here, so I would say they're excited.”

Head Coach DeMeco Ryans
Today you had the refs out there. What do you use them for?
“It's important for us to have the NFL refs out. We're thankful for them coming out to assist us when it comes to our two-minute drills and how we're trying to operate. We want to make sure we're as clean as possible. If there are any tips we can learn from the refs, they may have suggestions or ideas that can help us improve our efficiency as an offense, as a defense, whether it comes to penalties. They give us those tips and things that they are looking for, so we can see the game and understand what they're looking for. We see it through the refs' lenses. We know how to play smarter football whether it comes to offense or defense.”
How has DE Will Anderson Jr.’s progress been throughout camp? Has anything from him stood out? “Yeah, Will has been great throughout camp. One thing about Will, he's been the same guy who we thought we were getting when we drafted him, right? He's been on it every single day. When it comes to just the effort, the tenacity that he plays with, the energy, everything about him, he's been that and more. Will has gotten better each and every day. He takes coaching really well. Doc has done a really good job of working with him, honing in on just those small fine details of his game. Will has done a great job of absorbing coaching and being able to take it to the field and apply it. It's been cool to watch.”
QB C.J. [Stroud] was taking reps with the first team this week. Has he been elevated to the QB1 role? “Both of our guys have been rotating each week. As you came to practice, you've seen we've rotated those guys each week. Just happened to be the week C.J. was with the ones.”
On recent incidents within the league pertaining to gambling and how he’s educating his players on the topic: “It's been prevalent across the league. We've seen the penalties that have come down on some of these players. I've met with our players, had meetings. We discussed the gambling, making sure they understand the gambling policy, what we can and cannot do as players, also as employees of the NFL. I tell guys it's best to just stay away from it, right? What are you gaining versus gambling on games versus what to you stand to lose with your NFL career? It's not worth it. So, my advice to our guys is just stay away from it. Nothing to gain.”
Can you talk about T Laremy Tunsil, having such a veteran presence? Can you talk about what he adds for the young guys? “I think Laremy can add stability, right? He can add that experience where guys have questions, like for our rookies and younger guys, to lean on those veterans who have done it at a high level and a long time, right? Pro Bowl, All Pro, whatever those accolades have been, he's been one of the top left tackles in the league. How can you gain some type of knowledge from a guy as a young player? I'm expecting our young guys to be sponges, hoping Laremy shares as much as possible to train the next guys who are coming after him to give them all the tips and tricks of the trade.”
For a young quarterback like C.J., the fine line of protecting the football but still taking those shots when they're there, how do you instill that? “For me with the quarterback, it's all about confidence, right? We want him to rip it. If you see it, go through your progression. If you see it, make it happen. We understand every ball is not going to be perfect, you're not going to protect it all the time. I never want our quarterback playing afraid to make a mistake. I want everybody playing to their maximum potential and attacking everything that we do.”
What excites you about LB Christian Harris? “What excites me about Christian is just his God-given ability. Not many linebackers that are fast or explosive as Christian Harris is. What he's capable of becoming in this league, he's capable of becoming a really, really great linebacker. He just has to continue to improve. I saw it today at practice, it was fun to watch, right, seeing him take another step today. So, it was fun to watch. It's a progress. It doesn't happen overnight, but he's definitely having the right mindset to put the work in to become really good at his craft. I'm excited to see where he is when we start training camp.”
You mentioned playing to your players' strengths. What are DT Sheldon Rankins’ and Maliek Collins’ strengths? “Both guys, Sheldon and Maliek — veterans, experienced. Both guys have played in big games, both guys have done it at a high level. What I like about both is they are pros. They work every day. They're consistent, right? They're accountable to their teammates. That's who I want around, guys we can count on, guys we know what they bring to the party. They are going to play on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Both guys are smaller [defensive] tackles that can attack, utilize their quickness, their speed to really puncture the offensive line.”
On the process behind QB rotations and when he hopes to have a decision made on where they will be on the depth chart: “We'll see where their process goes in training camp. As the competition continues to grow, we'll see who separates themselves. That decision will take care of itself.”
What did you think about the news of J.J. Watt going into the Ring of Honor? “Outstanding, right? J.J. Watt is a man who represents everything that I try to instill in the players that we want in Texans, right? First off, we know the player that J.J. is. Outstanding player. What I tell our guys is what I remember about J.J. Watt and playing with him was just his work ethic was just unmatched on the field, right? Every practice, he brought it every practice. There wasn't a day off. He didn't take days off. He didn't relax. J.J., it was always important to him to be the best at what he did, right? It shows. With the honor that he's receiving here, he's just a phenomenal guy. Just what he's done in the community here in Houston, the impact he's had on our community, that's what speaks to me most about J.J. With the Hurricane Harvey relief and many other things that he’s done to impact the people of Houston, he'll never be forgotten here. He'll always be a special, special player, a special man for the city of Houston. I just want our guys to emulate J.J. All-encompassing, the player, the man, how he is in the community, now as a father. With J.J., it was a special moment for me being able to see him in his last game, right? The 49ers against Cardinals, his last game. Just to show the type of player that J.J. is and the man that he is, right? They stopped the game for J.J. to walk off and be celebrated by the entire stadium, Levi’s Stadium. He walked off to a standing ovation in an away game stadium. Shows the impact he has not only here as a Texan or Cardinal, but his impact around the NFL community. It will be unmatched. Congratulations to you, J.J. Well-deserved. Thank you.”

WR Noah Brown
On his decision to join the Texans
“Some of the things that went into being here – it was just a new, fresh opportunity. I was in Dallas for six years. I feel like I built a solid foundation of what I can do in this league there. I feel like this is an opportunity to expand upon on that, a team I feel like I can help out. We got a great young quarterback in C.J., another quarterback in Davis [Mills]. I'm looking forward to working with both of them.”
On his style of play and goals for this season “My style of play? I would say physical. I am from the get-go in all aspects of the game. Run game, route running, physical to the ball. A little bit all-around player. I feel like I can help this team in many ways.”
On his early impressions of the offense install and how this offense can play to his strengths “I'm really excited about the offense. I think we have a real creative coordinator. I think we have a lot of talented pieces, some of which are a little bit unknown in this league. Which I think is going to work to our advantage. I'm excited to be a part of this offense.”
On the comparison between QB C.J. Stroud and Dak Prescott “They're both great quarterbacks. I mean, great arm talent. I think it's a little bit early to compare a rookie to somebody like Dak Prescott. That's a great class to be in. I think he has all the potential to live up to that, maybe even surpass it. So, you know, I'm rooting for C.J. and I’m willing to have his back on anything.”
On the work ethic of WR Xavier Hutchinson and Tank Dell “They've come in and really put themselves to work. They're a lot more polished than you would expect for a rookie coming in. Tank, and the way he plays much bigger than his size. ‘Hutch’ [Xavier Hutchinson] is a big guy who plays big. I think they can help us in a lot of ways.”
On if there were any nuances in C.J. Stroud’s game from his time at Ohio State that translate well to the NFL “I'm not going to lie to you and act like I watched every Ohio State game since I've been in the league. I know C.J. has great arm talent. The little bit of time I've been here working with him, he's picked up the offense fast, taken ownership of his reps. I think that can only lead to positive things.”
On taking more offensive snaps and what his potential is “I think I came in this league a little bit raw. I had to find my way on the field however I could. That started off being mostly blocking and special teams. But as that's gone on, you find a way on to the field for maybe a blocking package, then all of a sudden you find yourself getting in packages for pass plays. I think I've taken advantage of every one of those steps, last year being another one. I think I have a chance to expand on that again this year.”
On having former Cowboys teammate TE Dalton Schultz with him “It's incredible. Dalton is one of my favorite players to play with. He's like a coach on the field. He's going to know the offense in and out, he's going to know his responsibility, and know yours too. It’s great to have somebody like that on the field.”
On his understanding of the NFL gambling policy “My easiest take on it is don't gamble. I don't have much else to say about that.”
On what he remembers from facing S Jalen Pitre last year and having the chance to compete with him mas teammates “Man, that's one of the first things I remember about that game, is [No.] 5 flying around. Coming out here and being able to practice with him for about two, three weeks, you see how he does it on game day because he does it on the practice field. He's a creature of habit and he has great habits – great player.”
On looking at the blocking sets from last season and if they are similar to the blocking sets that OC Bobby Slowik is implementing this year “I mean, I think Coach Slowik places an emphasis on everybody blocking, everybody being physical. Sometimes that is slept on in the wide receiver position, but I think it's been a great emphasis here. I think not just me, but everybody in our room is prepared to go in there and do the dirty work blocking.”
On his early impressions of RB Dameon Pierce “[He’s a] physical running back. One cut, get downhill. He's going to keep his feet going. I think last year kind of spoke for itself, the things he was able to come in this league and do. I'm confident he can build on that this year.”
On blocking as a wide receiver “I wouldn't say I've been in an offense where blocking is not valued by the wide receivers. I think sometimes you see wide receivers put more of an emphasis on it personally or take pride in it a little bit more. But I think everywhere I've been, it's been coached. I think that's part of – if you're a wide receiver, you want the guy across from you to feel you on every rep. That's a run play, pass play, whatever it is.”
On how he would describe the wide receiver room “I think we got a real balanced group. Some guys that can do a little bit of everything. We've got a great vet in ‘Rob’ [Robert Woods], myself, being the two oldest. But then we got a lot of guys who are a little bit younger but have played some meaningful reps like Nico [Collins], Amari [Rodgers]. We got a lot of good pieces that I think are able to play off each other really well.”
On the advice he would give to young receivers who are trying to stand out in practice “Just the little things. I had a basketball coach when I was younger tell me to be great at the things that happen often in the game. That was basketball-wise, but it applies to football, too. There's only one rock, one person to carry it – be good at running your route to get the other person open, block, special teams, things like that. Little things that can sneak you on the field so now you're playing meaningful reps.”

LB Christian Harris
How do you feel about your off-season, coming back, being around the team?
“I feel pretty good about the off-season so far. I think it was a good idea staying close, getting a chance to get our hands on the playbook a little early, having a lot of guys back so we could get the chemistry flowing, kind of get used to this new environment with what we have going on here, so it’s been good.”
On learning from a fellow Alabama linebacker in Coach DeMeco Ryans. What are some of the conversations you have? “Really trying to be a sponge. He gives a lot of advice. For one he ran this defense before with a previous team. Just trying to get an understanding of how he wants it to be done. Again, he played linebacker too, so a lot of tips with that. Trying to be a sponge in the room as much as I can.”
On what has stood about LB Henry To’oTo’o “He's a great player. Smart player. Grasping the playbook. He's coming to work every day just like he should be. I mean, of course we're all helping him with it. He's doing a great job right now.”
Last year you obviously had trouble in terms of stopping the run. How is this scheme going to accentuate your abilities and how can it prevent any types of issues against the run “I think it's just all based off the scheme, buying into what we have going on, whatever coach is coaching us up to do. We in the process of building that right now. I'm sure when the season come, we are going to be ready for it.”
On type of defense you have right now - In terms of personality “I think we have a very energetic team overall. I think it starts with the staff. DeMeco coming in and the type of intensity and energy he's bringing. More detail-oriented. I think everybody is just buying into that.”
What are you looking to build upon in year two? “Just everything. I really just want to win as a team. I'm not going to lie. I think I bring everything. If I'm doing my part, obviously that's going to help the team, as much as everybody else. We just focus on that so we can win.” How are you different as a player and what have you improved on since being a rookie “I think, again, physically it's not even really too much that. It's more so playbook and understanding the scheme so I can put myself in position to showcase what I can do. I feel in those moments, for a lot of us on the team, that's when we're going to be our best as long as everybody is in their position and know what they're doing.”
On seeing any similarities between Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud “They're both great quarterbacks, for sure. Yeah, you could say that.”
On somethings he has been able to learn from LB Denzel Perryman “I mean, just he has a lot of experience in the league. Just like how I was treating it with Kirko [Christian Kirksey] last year, Coach DeMeco this year, trying to be a sponge. I have a lot of vets around me. They giving me insight on plays I'm coming back in, trying to give me tips. I'm trying to be open ears.”
On what about DE Will Anderson Jr. makes him a special player “I really noticed this since day one at Alabama. He is just a dog and he cares. I think we have those similarities. I think it can take you a long way. I mean, that's really all I got for that.”

DE Jerry Hughes
What do you like about the defensive scheme?
“Just like the way DeMeco has us attacking off the ball, on the ball, just playing on the other team's line of scrimmage, just really taking that attack to them. We get to set edges, be more violent with our hands. Doing a lot of technique work in this off-season which has been really great that we get to get back to the fundamental elements of playing football.”
What is the biggest difference schematically playing in this defense versus the one you were in last year? “I get to attack the tackles a lot more. I get to be more hands on, using my hands. Just things like that where it's not so much avoiding setting the edge. Here we encourage it. I think it takes out a lot of the guessing game of what the up front is going to do. It allows the guys on the back end to play a lot faster.”
What are your impressions of [Will] Anderson Jr.? “Just smart, tough, physical guy. That's something you really love to see early on where you have to pull him back versus encouraging him to kind of be aggressive, trying to get him to use different techniques. He's here early, getting in with all the coaches. That's what you want to see from a young player, someone who is eager to learn and doing all the right things early on.”
What do you attribute your staying power to? “I mean, we got a really good staff here. What they do as far as in the kitchen, getting us to refuel our bodies, they're always giving us every bit of information we can to take as far as what to put in it. Then the training staff, they do a fantastic job of any kind of bumps, bruises, tight muscles, whatever you name, they can work it out and fix it for you. I lean heavy on them because we got one of the best staffs here in the NFL. When you got that in-house, it's hard to kind of miss game days. That's really what you want to optimize.”
Still feel young? “Still feeling young, man. I don't know how. God is good. But still able to kind of move around with these young guys in this heat. It's been quite a blessing.”
Any specific trait that Will has that already stands out to you? “His intelligence. Just how smart he is as a young guy. Not afraid to sit in the front of the classroom, ask questions, be repetitive so he can make sure he understands what the coaches are asking him to go out there and perform and do. I think that’s just key. He has all of the physical tools to go out there and be a freak of nature and wreak havoc for four quarters. But now, when you’re at this level, it's about mental, how can you attack opponents, how can you keep them guessing what you're doing. Those are some of the best players in this league, is when people can’t really get a read or beat on what you're getting ready to do.”
Are you taking on a role helping him out? “Yeah, I mean, all the young guys honestly. Will [Anderson] is in our room. Dylan [Horton], Ali [Gaye]. All those guys. I try to be their big bro, whatever questions they have. I kind of seen it all in the NFL. Off the field, on the field, whatever they have, I try to be there for those guys. They've been here the entire off-season giving it their all, asking a lot of questions. That's what we want. We need them to win games this year, so I'm excited.”
Does it make a difference to have a head coach how used to play in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball? “Absolutely. It's just amazing how he can command the room by saying something as simple as going over situational football, how all eyes are locked in on him. Especially with us, we have a young team, and that's what we need, someone who can not only bring the energy, but just reinforce teaching the game of football, because you can't learn enough of it. There's so many different situations that will happen throughout the season, things that have happened in the past that he's kind of going over, and it’s just making us smarter so we can go out there and play faster.”
What are your first day impressions of the youth and veterans? “I mean, it was amazing just to see how vocal the team was. Normally when you got a young team, that's one of the things you harp on is that we're not vocal enough, not able to move fast enough. But that's not the case. [Jalen] Pitre is moving probably a step ahead of everyone at this time. Henry, Will, Dylan, those guys are vocal, they’re asking questions. We're talking about technique throughout practice. It's not where we're just wasting time. The minute we walk in this building, it's football on. I think that’s what I love to see. You love that you got a young group of guys that are passionate about this game, who want to take their game to the next level. They're constantly on it day in, day out.”
What have you seen from teammate/fellow TCU brother DE Dylan Horton so far? Was he on your radar before you got here? “I met Dylan last year at the spring game. He was wearing No. 98, so I figured go see who the guy is at TCU who is rocking my old number. Another tall, tremendous athlete with a lot of upside. Just the way he is able to kind of get off the ball, use some of his size to his advantage. It’s incredible. Him, Ali [Gaye], those guys are going to be tremendous for us to have because we're going to need everybody in that room. By those guys being here all year, being on my ear, coach Jacques [Cesaire], coach Rod [Wright], you just try to figure out as much as they can about this game. It's going to make us that better of a team when we have young guys that can fly around, play fast and also be smart as well.”
What has improved defensively? “In the D-line room, our technique. I think that was probably one of our biggest things we were able to pin in and focus on. They want us to attack the ball more, be more hands-on. We were able to accomplish that in the off-season because the philosophy changed. We're not trying to run around blocks anymore. It's moreso attacking. We got to be defenders, we got to be the aggressor. I think that’s what a lot of guys were excited to get back to, is kind of football, in my mind.”
You have better talent, is that a way you've improved? “I would say that and we're probably faster. Guys are running around making plays. They have been with our strength staff here who has done a tremendous job of keeping everyone healthy. With that added element, guys are moving a lot faster.”
On what he is doing to make sure he and the team are properly educated on the topic of gambling: “I think they're doing a great job of informing everyone in the off-season with PowerPoints and seminars. Coach DeMeco did a fantastic job with us during a team meeting. I think the more you can get guys aware about it so they don't repeat the same mistakes.”
Look like you're starting over as a rookie again. Are you starting to see something different, can we expect something different this year? “Absolutely. I think you're see a lot more violent defense, guys that are flying around the ball. We got 11 hats coming after you. It's going to be something that a lot of people are going to be excited to see. I know I am. I know the guys on defense are. We've just been perfecting it for these past couple of months. It's going to be really exciting.”
You mentioned the young players unafraid to ask questions. Is that part of a culture that you set or typical in the NFL? “I think just human nature in general. Normally when you get around a bunch of people and you're kind of new into that environment, you kind of tend to be more standoffish, kind of want to shrink down in the chair versus being a little bit more boastful, willing to ask questions, willing to get it repeated so you can make sure you understand it. Because you'd be surprised, there's a lot more other people who need that understanding as well. When you have young guys doing that, that's just a great mentality that you love to have.”

Transcript June 14

Head Coach DeMeco Ryans
On what he expects from QB C.J. Stroud at the start of training camp
“With C.J. and with all of our players – no one has a defined starting role right now. just want to see continued improvement from our guys, right? Are you improving and are you accountable to your teammates? Can we all count on you to make the proper decisions and make plays? Ultimately, help us win football games. For the guys on our team who can put us in the best position to win games – those are the guys who I want out there.”
On what he sees from the team now heading into the break and where he wants them to be “For right now and where we are, we’re in a really good spot. We just ended on the field – like the way the guys are competing back and forth, offense, defense – both making plays, both challenging each other – iron sharpening iron. That’s exactly what I wanted. And now I just told our guys, this just only sets you up to come back in training camp and compete for that job because we’re all competing. So, guys are in a good spot right now and we’re leaving on a really good note. Guys are confident in what they’re doing, what we’re asking of them and that’s all we wanted to make sure [of]. We installed our schemes, installed our terminology. We wanted to make sure that guys have a really great grasp of what we’re doing, and I feel like we accomplished that this spring. And so now, on to the competition.”
On the comradery and energy “The energy, the comradery – that’s what I thrive on. I want our guys to be energetic. I want our guys to be excited, not only about playing football, but excited about who you are playing football with – the men in that huddle with you. And that’s where we’ve gotten. To see guys cheering each other on, to see guys celebrating, having fun out there on the field, the comradery, the way the guys are gelling – it’s coming along just as I expected.”
On his thoughts heading into the summer break before training camp “My thoughts as we leave for training camp – my thoughts are mainly [that] I want guys who are committed [and] can continue this process of improving, getting better, working out on their own – doing everything they need to do to come back in the best shape of their life. To come back and be in a position to first, compete for a job, and second, to help us be the best team that we can be.”
On if he feels that guys are in a good place mentally “Yeah, I do. I feel like all of our guys are in a great mental state and they know what we’re up against. They know the challenges ahead, right? And if guys want to be a part of it, they’ll come back and prove to their teammates that they are up to that challenge and ready to work.”
On how good this secondary can be this season “You know, we’ll see. I mean right now, being in shorts and helmets, how much can you truly judge? I think when we actually get in pads, we actually play games – that’s when we see the real football players stand up and show out. That’s what we’re looking for. Now on paper, it doesn’t really matter how you look on paper. It’s about can you be the best team on Sunday versus whoever you’re going against. That’s all that truly matters. And of course, we hope that our secondary is a strength of our team. We hope our defensive line is also a strength of the team, our linebackers – everybody just gels together and plays as one. And that’s what it’s about. You know, we’ll have strengths, weaknesses, but we’re only as strong as our weakest unit.”
On how RB Devin Singletary has complimented RB Dameon Pierce “Devin has done a good job. Devin has put himself in a really good spot – love the attention to detail, how he prepares each and every day, so I’m excited where Devin [is]. We’ll see how that looks with Dameon and Devin, Mike [Boone] – all those guys in our backfield. The way we have a lot of capable guys, and again, we’ll see how that looks come training camp.”
On his assessment of the offensive line “Those guys have done a great job. I think Coach Cole [Popovich] and Coach [Chris] Strausser have done a really good job of honing in on the small, fine details and techniques. Our offensive lineman, those guys have done a really great job all camp of perfecting their craft. So again, it’s just a credit to those guys and our coaches for the great job they’ve done with them.”
On what the next two weeks looks like for the coaching staff “For our coaches over the next few weeks, I think it’s time for a little rest and relaxation. Especially for me. I’ve been going pretty non-stop since our last playoff game. So definitely a little rest and relaxation to make sure I’m powered up and ready to go for the season. The same with our coaches. It’s a time for us to have the opportunity to spend more time with your family, go and visit family that you haven’t seen a while… So just a time to reconnect personally with your family.”
On if there is a spot on the roster they are looking to potentially add players “We’ll see. We’re always evaluating. We’re always looking to add and get better at many different spots on our team. So, as you guys know, in the league, your team is never set from what you have in the spring. There’s always transactions, there’s always room for improvement, so we’ll see where our team goes. That will be a fluid situation moving [forward] – not only training camp, but as we go throughout the season. The team will always be changing.”
On what the team is doing to combat the Texas heat “The first thing about having that heat is just to make sure that you’re out on the field practicing at an earlier start time, to make sure we’re getting off before noon – before it gets extremely hot outside. It’s just taking the proper breaks and rest so that our guys can actually focus on being a better football player and not just focus on the external factors, which is the heat. We do have to manage that and make sure our guys are well-hydrated and make sure we’re giving them proper rest.”
On what he has learned from working with General Manger Nick Caserio “Nick has been really fun to work with. Nick is a very knowledgeable – one of the smartest football minds I’ve been around. It’s not just the scouting part when it comes to acquiring players, but it’s also just the football knowledge, the scheme, the ‘x’s and o’s.’ Having his knowledge and having a guy I can lean [on] for any question, right? We’ve become pretty tight over the last couple months, and it’s been a really great relationship. I’m happy to be in this spot working with someone as experienced as Nick because he’s helped me and guided me through a lot. It’s always great to have someone you can lean on, someone you can trust, and our relationship – me and Nick – we collaborate on everything. That was our plan coming into it and that’s what we do. Every morning we’re meeting, making sure that we’re on the same page, and I think that’s how you grow when you have collaboration and you have buy-in from everyone. Just like we’re asking our players to be one, me and Nick, we’re one on all of our decisions that we make, trying to make our organization the best it can be.”
On if WR John Metchie III is on target to return for training camp “Everything is on target. I think Metchie will be good to go for training camp.”
On his philosophy to stop the run “My philosophy on stopping the run is you have to. You have to do everything possible to stop the run – that’s the first thing first. That’s the goal for our defense – make teams one-dimensional, make them have to drop back and pass the ball. Can we go and disrupt the quarterback with enough pressure upfront from our front four guys? In these OTAs and minicamp, you can’t be as physical as we would like to be when it comes to stopping the run just because of the nature of where we are with shorts and helmets – just can’t be as physical as possible. Stopping the run is going to start with the mindset, it’s going to be the mindset of being the most physical team and playing on the other side of the line of scrimmage.”
On how much time G Kenyon Green will miss and if he will be a participant in training camp “We’ll see where Kenyon is come training camp. For Kenyon, he has to be ready to go and the work he puts in over the next few weeks will see if he’s ready and ready to go out and compete.”
On QB C.J.’s Stroud’s resolve and ability to bounce back after a missed pass “For a quarterback you have to have a short memory. You can’t let one bad play become three bad plays, right? Put that behind you. You’re going to make some bad plays, but as long as it doesn’t matriculate into other bad plays, then I’m fine with that. To see him and see his resolve, the way he was able to come back, compete, drive the offense down for a touchdown there at the end of practice – that was pretty cool to see.”
On how cool it was to have his son at practice today “It was fun having my son out at practice today. He enjoys it. I asked him if he was ready to go early this morning at 5:00 – I didn’t think he was going to get up. But he was ready to go and was happy to have him here with me. Proud of him and all his accomplishments in all that he’s done. He’s always made us proud – made me a proud father. It’s a blessing to be a father, not only to him, but to my other two kids. It’s just a blessing to be a father and happy Father’s Day to all the fathers coming up – wishing you all the best.”

LB Denzel Perryman
How do you characterize your style of play? Do you consider yourself a tone-setter for the defense?
“Yeah. My style of play? Yeah, you can say that. Tone-setter. Big-hitter, physical guy. Basically, somebody that’s going to give it their all every single play. Put my body on the line every single play, and a vocal leader. I try to lead by example, but sometimes the vocal part comes out of me. And yeah, you’re just going to get a character.”
What have you learned in your nine years in the league that’s stuck with you and that you can apply to this season? “What I can say is health. Just being healthy. The best ability is availability. Obviously, throughout my career, I haven’t played a full season yet. But, what I can say is just learn how to take care of your body. Resting, what you put in your body, all that stuff is really important whether you play football or not.”
What’s it like having your Head Coach [DeMeco Ryans] be a former linebacker? “So, me in general, you just cut the tape off and I’m going to be doing that regardless, whether he plays tight end or quarterback, that’s just me in general. But, having a linebacker as a head coach, you can tell by his energy and everything. Like, I told him I feel like he still wants to play, low-key. But, just having that mindset, I mean it’s a defensive mindset and he’s a players’ coach, I can say that. And he’s been in the same seats that we’ve been in. Literally in the same seats we’ve been in. But, just having a players’ coach in general, I feel like that’s great for the locker room and for the team itself.”
On the style of visor he was wearing out at practice today “Yeah, so to clear the record, that was Deadpool, not Spider-Man. Like, there’s nothing friendly when I put my helmet on. So, yeah, that was Deadpool. The custom was just something that I did probably four years ago. I just like to do it. Just for me. That’s about it.”
It was Deadpool? “Yeah, it was Deadpool. No, today, it was ‘Only in Dade.’ It’s a Miami thing. It’s a Miami thing.” Are you feeling like you’re close to 100%? “Yeah, so basically I’m just happy to be back on the field right now, doing individuals, group installs, that type of stuff, and then when practice practice—when they start doing team stuff, I’m off to the side getting my mental stuff. But, body-wise, I feel amazing, actually.”
What is it about this team and this defense that stood out to you when going through the free agency process? “With the team itself, them just giving an opportunity to come in and play again. Like I said, I was coming off shoulder surgery, and that was pretty big for me. The opportunity, just being in this defense, this system. I’m going on year nine, and out of nine years, I’ve been in the same system or form of system for like seven years. So, just getting familiar with their terminology. But, it’s the same thing that I’ve been in for the past seven years.”
What’s your impression on some of the young guys like LB Christian Harris and DB Jalen Pitre? “Yeah, young guys like [DB] Jalen Pitre and [LB] Christian Harris, man, they’ve got high motors. Very high motors, very explosive, and they’re out there making plays. I feel like Coach [DeMeco Ryans] brought in a couple pieces, veteran guys for a reason. Just teach the young guys how to play defense.”
What have you been impressed by with regards to the defense? What are your takeaways so far? “Just how we’re all coming together. Like I said, it’s a new defense, new scheme, new everything for everybody. So, just how we’re all coming together, like you said—communicating—which is big in defense, period. Still got some work to do, I can say that, but just like I said how we all are coming together. We’ve got time. We’ve got training camp, but OTA’s, it’s been a good little camp.”
What have you seen out of [QB] C.J. Stroud so far? “He’s a competitor, man. He may talk a little trash here and there, but he doesn’t do that in the locker room. But on the field, he carries himself like a pro, and he has guys pushing behind him.”
Does it feel like you’ve put together the right group of veterans and young guys? “Yeah, me and [OL] Shaq Mason were just talking about this the other day as we were eating. We were out, and I was just like, ‘Bro, I’ve been a part of some teams that had the roster.’ Just, the chemistry that we all have, and it’s not knocking any other team that I’ve been on, but just the chemistry—the young guys, the older guys—it is a great mixture, and I’ll just say, ‘Stay tuned’ man. Just stay tuned. Watch us put it together.”

DB Shaquill Griffin
What was your decision-making process like leading up to choosing the Texans? Were any other teams interested?
“Some other teams that kind of showed interest, definitely it was Minnesota. I talked to Jacksonville again, talked to Washington, talked to a couple other teams, but the only visit I really took was here to Houston, and then once I got here, I felt the energy. Kind of felt like I was going to be at home here. I love the system they were already running, I was already familiar with the system that they had. So, I kind of based my decision off something that I knew I would be able to get in and start and move fast right away.”
What about this system excites you the most? “I feel like the change-up excites me the most. I feel like we’ve got a lot of stuff in our bag to be able to change things up, especially to be able to adapt to any situation. But, number one would be, being in Seattle, I’m definitely familiar with that whole process on how they run their system. So, that kind of makes a lot of things in adjusting really easy for me. So, I love that part.”
What is it about defensive backs coming out of the Pete Carroll coaching tree that allows players like you to have sustained success? “I feel like it’s the people that they play with. I feel like, in my situation, I got a chance to play with some guys that kind of helped shape my game a lot. You know, you’re talking about the Richard Sherman’s, the Earl Thomas’, the Kam Chancellor’s, the guys who actually took the time to take me under their wing and teach me some things that I use now today, that I’m getting a chance to show the younger guys who might not have heard it yet. And I feel like that’s the difference, because coming from that system, everybody had to learn everybody else’s position.”
On the difficulties and adversity he faced during his road to recovery from back surgery “Yeah, I feel like in the beginning I think was the toughest. Understanding being away from football was tougher than most people might think, and I feel like that whole process of being there with the back injury, still trying to play and be there for the team. Losing strength in the glute, the hamstring, the calf muscles just start to die out, you know? So, mentally, that was tough. Having the surgery, I felt good about the surgery. Felt a lot better, walked right out. That was a blessing. But then I couldn’t do anything. I couldn’t even sweat, and then I’m out here watching my team go out there and grind it out every day, being successful. As a person who loves the game so much, it was tough. There were times where it was kind of hard to figure out what was next, and I feel like this part I feel like I needed to go through, because I feel like it showed a lot about myself, to be able to snap back into that mindset to be able to give whatever I have to get back to where I want to be. A lot of people wouldn’t be able to do that, so coming back out here, I was just anxious. Understanding that I didn’t get a chance to play team ball since last October of last year. So, to get back to that mindset and moving around, moving fast, moving twitchy, having my strength back—it’s a blessing.”
On how having to learn multiple positions in Seattle helped him grow as a player “Well, it helped me because I understand where everybody’s supposed to be at. If we’re in a certain defense, where we switch it up, I know where my help comes from, I know where I don’t have help at, I know whether I need to be inside, outside leverage, doesn’t matter what it is. I know exactly how I need to play each play, knowing that if I have help, then I can play more outside. Or I know I’ve got inside help. Or if I know it’s just me out there by myself, I don’t have to rely on anybody else. Cool, I know exactly where everybody is supposed to be at, and that’s the reason why I feel like it took my game to another level, because I knew what I was supposed to be searching for, I knew each call, I knew exactly what to expect depending on what route it was, I know if I had to take it all by myself, or I know for a fact I can do something a little different and go straight for the ball because I know I have a little more help on the inside. And I feel like that’s the part that changed my game.”
On whether he feels the responsibility to take some of the younger guys under his wing as he experienced in Seattle “Definitely agree. I feel like they didn’t show up for no reason, and I feel like that’s just something, a legacy that you continue to pass on. If you have knowledge, give it. I’m not the type of person to hold all that stuff to myself. It started off day one, and whatever I know, I’m going to continue to preach it. I feel like right now, my main thing is, I don’t want to come in and feel like I need to step on anybody’s toes, because I want to earn my voice there. I know what type of caliber of player I am, and I know what I’ve been through. I know how last year was, and I feel like I’m here now to earn my name, earn this voice, to be able to be that voice for this team, for these guys, I have to earn it first, and that’s the part where I’m at right now.”
Impressions on the secondary as a whole so far? “We’ve got some young, starving guys right now. You’ve got a person who’s going to come out here and give everything they have. And there’s not too many times where you have a whole secondary that’s willing to help each other, that’s willing to grind it out, that’s willing to compete in every single day, especially in this Texas heat. These guys are hungry, and I love that because the type of energy they bring is so contagious, and that’s the type of secondary that you need to bring this defense along.”
On his understanding of how he fits into the defensive scheme “I feel like the main thing he [DeMeco Ryans] is trying to accomplish with our position, he’s trying to get the corners in a position to really go for that ball. I feel like the main thing is the defense we’re able to play, the changes we’re able to do, the help we’re able to get, depending on whatever situation or whatever play-call it is, it gives us the opportunity to really play the ball. The main thing is to create turnovers and get that ball back to our offense, and they put us in a great situation and a great scenario to be able to do that this year.”
On how his strong ties with his family have helped him get through tough times he’s faced “Oh, man. I commend them a lot. Trust me, that process was not easy. There were definitely some dark nights in there, and to have the family, you know, I’ve got to commend my wife and even my little ones to be able to put that smile back on my face to be able to go out there each day to fight to get back where I want to be at. Like I said, at the beginning of that back injury, I couldn’t move, I couldn’t sweat, I was walking different. It’s tough, and anybody whose dealt with any type of injury, it’s tough because you want to get back to normal. So, I commend my wife, my family, my little kids putting that smile back on my face, because now I’ve got so much more to fight for. I’m trying to protect my name, I’m trying to protect this family, I’m trying to get back to where I used to be at. So, I appreciate them so much.”

RB Devin Singletary
On his excitement towards the running back room and how the group is coming together
“Yeah, very excited. Very excited. I think we [he and RB Dameon Pierce] are definitely going to be a good one-two punch. Just working with Dameon so far, it’s been a lot of fun.”
On RB Dameon Pierce’s personality and what he brings every day “Yeah, every day he’s bringing the juice, bringing the energy. He’s a dog, for sure. Just being up close and personal with him these past couple weeks, it’s been mind-blowing how sharp he is, how he goes about his business, you can tell he’s trying to find every way to get better. That’s the name of the game, keep finding ways to get better, and I feel like me and him, we’re going to do something special for sure.”
In what ways do you feel like you and RB Dameon Pierce complement each other? “Yeah, a lot of guys like to look at Dameon as a bruiser, but I feel like he’s more than that. Make guys miss, he definitely can catch out of the backfield. For me and him, I feel like some would say I’m shifty or whatever, that’s my game, but I feel like I can do it all as well. So, with that being said, it’s just us feeding off of each other’s energy. I feel like that’s what it’s going to come down to throughout the season, us feeding off each other’s energy, picking each other’s brains, finding ways to get better, and I think that’s the biggest thing.”
On the possibilities of the running back position within this particular scheme “Yeah, there’s a lot of opportunity for a running back in this type of scheme under Coach ‘Slow’ [Slowik], if that’s catching out of the backfield, running the ball, whatever it may be, there’s a lot of opportunity, and with a lot of opportunity, good things can happen.”
How different is this situation and what in free agency was attractive to you about Houston? “Yeah, it’s different because I won’t be splitting with a quarterback. You know, he [Josh Allen] touched the ball, the quarterback touched the ball every play. And then this scheme, coming here, I just felt like—man, I watched Christian McCaffrey, I watched [Elijah] Mitchell, I watched multiple guys. [Jeff] Wilson [Jr.], a lot of guys have a lot of success in that offense, and then once I came here on a visit, I got to meet Coach DeMeco [Ryans], Coach ‘Slow’. There was a lot of great energy throughout the building, and I’m a big energy guy. I’m like, ‘Man, this is the place to be,’ and you can feel it around the building that we’re headed in the right direction, so those were probably the biggest things.”
On his early impressions of QB C.J. Stroud “Man, he’s bright. He’s a bright, young man. He’s coming along well. It’s a lot as a young quarterback, coming in and learning a new offense – coming in here with grown men, coming from college and coming here with grown men… You’re looked at as a leader out the gate. But he’s handling it well. He’s a very humble guy and always comes in to work – definitely.”
On Offensive Coordinator Bobby Slowik’s creativity “We all know how San Francisco ran their offense and stuff, so being under Coach ‘Slow,’ of course that’s what he’s bringing, but he’s putting his own twist to it – very, very smart guy. [I’m] learning a lot from him, just over these past few weeks of being around and being able to work with him. So, man, there’s a lot of opportunity out here for sure.”
On the key to working well with the other running backs “For one, it’s respect. We respect each other for sure. Two is – and this offense hasn’t been showing that – more than one guy can eat. You know what I’m saying? More than one guy can eat. The biggest thing for us is we’re going to be feeding off of each other’s energy. Of course, it’s a game, it’s competition. You’ve always got to compete, but it’s going to be a healthy competition. Making each other better, pushing yourself to each other’s best – getting the best out of each other. So, I think that’s going to be big.”
On if he’s adjusted to the warmer weather “Yeah, I’m from South Florida so it’s similar. I’m glad to be back in this type of weather, so it’s been fine. It hasn’t been too bad, at least not yet. I heard it’s supposed to get hotter. So, I’ll see.”
On the toughest part of being in the cold weather “I’m not going to say it was tough… the driving. The first time I drove in snow up [in Buffalo], it was a snowstorm and I had to go 30 minutes – that was tough. But for me, I liked it because coming from Florida, South Florida, it doesn’t get cold. It doesn’t snow, no seasons, no nothing. So, seeing all that snow, getting different seasons and stuff that was fun, so I kind of enjoyed it.”
On what he typically does during the break before training camp “So, me personally, I take a couple days off, a few days off and then get right back to the grind. My mindset is: it’s not really time to chill. We’re on a mission and I understand that. I want to be a big part of that mission. So, I’m going to take a few days off and then get right back to it.”

Or Stroud was slow processing.

The excuses are already starting. Notice how nobody pointed this out last year, when Mills WR1 was Chris freaking Mills.

FIFY

Baseball takes over the summer and Astros are defending World Champs and have been to the last 6 ALCS series
An org that puts winning 1st and foremost. Congrats Jim Crane, you can see the obvious differences in ownership.

The excuses are already starting. Notice how nobody pointed this out last year, when Mills WR1 was Chris freaking Mills.

I'm not sure how you got from "the wide receivers aren't making space" to "Stroud was slow processing".

Oh wait, never mind, I know exactly how you got there. Carry on

I'm not sure how you got from "the wide receivers aren't making space" to "Stroud was slow processing".

Oh wait, never mind, I know exactly how you got there. Carry on
I'm just saying the WR's are better this yr than they were last yr and excuses are already being made.

So the word in camp is the receivers aren’t getting any separation consistently for all quarterbacks. But it’s an excuse being used for Stroud because the receiver room supposedly be better and he’s processing things slow. We’re not going to talk about all the dropped passes either huh.

The Texans were a terrible team last year. With a few additions and a new coach all of a sudden they're supposed to be good? This is just typical preseason optimism that happens every year. Yall need to lower your expectations a tad.

Expect 5 to 7 wins this year, and next year is when they'll hopefully compete for a wild card. If DeMeco is who we think he is, we only have one more trash season to get through before it starts getting good.

I didn’t see this posted anywhere -

Texans org will not retire numbers per Hannah. It’s around the 3:20 to 3:45 mark.

Disappointed because no one should wear 80 or 99 again.

Surely when and if a former Texans player goes into the HOF his jersey # would then be retired, if not sooner ?
I'm confidant JJ will be a HOFer, almost certainly first ballot but I'm no longer so confidant about Andre making it to the HOF
which I'm very disappointed about.
JJ & Andre are unquestionably the franchises greatest defensive and offensive players respectively.

So the word in camp is the receivers aren’t getting any separation consistently for all quarterbacks. But it’s an excuse being used for Stroud because the receiver room supposedly be better and he’s processing things slow. We’re not going to talk about all the dropped passes either huh.
Stacked weapons, because they are better receivers this year than last year! It's SLOW processing! NO EXCUSES! Nothing has changed down on Kirby!
:kitten:

Last edited:
Back