Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

And we won’t be going anywhere with Mills starting either. Let CJ get all the reps, gotta get him ready for day one.

I don’t see y’all campaigning for another player to compete with Anderson. He will be starting day one period.

I wanted Anderson, was meh on Stroud and Young.
Also preferred Shane Steichen over DeMeco.

Doesn't make me right about anything. Proof will come in the future, not today, not this year.

:coffee:- :logo:

If your sources are so solid, why didn’t they give you the trade? I’m still waiting on them getting something right. You didn’t have the Ryans pick, either. Wasn’t Gannon Nick’s guy? Who did your sources say Nick wanted at QB?

The McNair’s demanding a QB? That’s a no brainer. That it had tp be Stroud? Even you should be questioning that information.
Nice way to deflect the conversation from the Stroud pick. :shades:

Nice way to deflect the conversation from the Stroud pick. :shades:
Nice way to not give an answer. Why? That's the question. Why would the McNairs tell Caserio to specifically take Stroud? That's the question I would have asked if it were my source.

And we won’t be going anywhere with Mills starting either. Let CJ get all the reps, gotta get him ready for day one.
I really don’t think “snaps in practice” are going to prepare CJ for day 1. It will help him learn & understand the offense, & that’s good, but it’s only a small part of what he needs to get ready for.

I want Stroud to start early, wouldn’t have a problem if he starts day 1.

But I don’t like this argument. Most QBs from college fail at the NFL. I think it’s because teams don’t do an adequate job of preparing them.

Even with the watered down parody level of talent on NFL teams they are far more talented than any team they’ve played at the college level. In college it would be rare if he faced a team with 4 NFL starters in back to back weeks. Practice can help him acclimate to that, but he’s not going to experience the speed of the game or the intricacies of NFL rotations & schemes.

Scrimmages against other teams will help, but they’ll still be unprepared for live action, when winning counts.

So I say again, there’s no way Stroud can beat out Mills or Keenum for the starting job. But he doesn’t have to.

It’s up to DeMeco to decide if he wants to move toward the future or not.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but suggesting there was some kind of demand or mandate to take a certain player seems awful counterintuitive. GM's are responsible to get players the coaches want, seeing as how almost every coach in the NFL has control over the roster. The scouts typically work for the GM and provide their insight on the players. The GM and coach must work through the selection process together based upon their wants and the information provided to them. An owner telling a GM and coach who to take, despite all the work those two put in, not to mention the work of their entire scouting department seems far fetched even for a completely dysfunctional front office.

I really don't know much about McNair, but I know from interviews I read when I first started watching the Texans and reading information from his Dad, Bob, that he felt the same way about the relationship of the GM and coaches. Agree that they may say, "We need to take a QB with our first pick", but to demand a certain player seems a little off to me when they spend a buttload of money for those guys to make those decisions.

I could be wrong obviously and maybe the Houston front office is just completely F'd...
The McNair's from their inception with the 1st pick have been meddling

Mandated the Carr pick, Clowney pick, Os signing and now this tradition has been passed from Bob to Cal and Hannah. So yeah, they're screwed.

I wanted Anderson, was meh on Stroud and Young.
Also preferred Shane Steichen over DeMeco.

Doesn't make me right about anything. Proof will come in the future, not today, not this year.

:coffee:- :logo:
Now I see the reason for your response. It’s because you was meh on CJ from the get go. Gotcha

I really don’t think “snaps in practice” are going to prepare CJ for day 1. It will help him learn & understand the offense, & that’s good, but it’s only a small part of what he needs to get ready for.

I want Stroud to start early, wouldn’t have a problem if he starts day 1.

But I don’t like this argument. Most QBs from college fail at the NFL. I think it’s because teams don’t do an adequate job of preparing them.

Even with the watered down parody level of talent on NFL teams they are far more talented than any team they’ve played at the college level. In college it would be rare if he faced a team with 4 NFL starters in back to back weeks. Practice can help him acclimate to that, but he’s not going to experience the speed of the game or the intricacies of NFL rotations & schemes.

Scrimmages against other teams will help, but they’ll still be unprepared for live action, when winning counts.

So I say again, there’s no way Stroud can beat out Mills or Keenum for the starting job. But he doesn’t have to.

It’s up to DeMeco to decide if he wants to move toward the future or not.
That is the reason why you give him the snaps in practice. Imo that is the adequate way of getting them ready. You can also go the Big Ben route. And that’s let him learn on the fly, little by little, game by game in his rookie season.
We all know it’s up to DeMeco to make that decision. It’s only my opinion to start him day one. I can understand if we had a legitimate starter ahead of him. Then yes go the Mahomas route.

I’ve saw enough of Davis Mills and he’s not that guy.

Steven Nelson looks like fools gold to me, he had a career year on a poor D which couldn’t stop the run, had a rookie across the other side of the field to him and a number of replacements when that rookie was injured.

To me, those are conditions where QBs will pick a different poison to the middling vet CB.

Sure, his season was a welcome bonus but I’m happy to challenge him to repeat the feat on a contract year and pay the price or let him walk if he does well, Texans can draft a rookie to develop across from Stingley going into his 3rd year, or sign a similar prove it FA to replace Nelson. I would also think Griffin can potentially hedge against any holdout as a similar player who had talent coming into the league that he may not have fulfilled but has become a veteran in the league and will play a role.

Stingley being as good as he could be is my concern.

What about him?

Bob let Kubiak make that call, the McNair's let him make the call on the QB he wanted.

What about him?

Well you said theyve meddled with the first since inception. What made the Williams pick different?

At the time you had VY who would've been an instant fan favorite. Fron Houston, went to UT fresh off a natl championship winning in dramatic fashion where he was the star.

You had Bush, one of the most electric college weapons we've ever seen.

And if they didn't like VY, there was Leinhart who led one of the most explosive college offenses ever. Highly touted.

When they had all those options why would they suddenly forgo the marketing opportunities at their doorsteps to let their
football people make the least sexiest pick?

What about him?

Well you said theyve meddled with the first since inception. What made the Williams pick different?

At the time you had VY who would've been an instant fan favorite. Fron Houston, went to UT fresh off a natl championship winning in dramatic fashion where he was the star.

You had Bush, one of the most electric college weapons we've ever seen.

And if they didn't like VY, there was Leinhart who led one of the most explosive college offenses ever. Highly touted.

When they had all those options why would they suddenly forgo the marketing opportunities at their doorsteps to let their
football people make the least sexiest pick?

Because like Lovie/Stingley., Bob made a deal with Kubiak that if he took the job he could make the 1st pick. I believe Kubiak was talked into the MW pick over Bush by Casserly.

Are you saying Bob didn't make the final call on Carr/Clowney? Did he not mandate the Os FA signing?

Because like Lovie/Stingley., Bob made a deal with Kubiak that if he took the job he could make the 1st pick. I believe Kubiak was talked into the MW pick over Bush by Casserly.

Are you saying Bob didn't make the final call on Carr/Clowney? Did he not mandate the Os FA signing?

I haven't said anything either way up until now...

But I don't believe that ownership has ever made a call on a specific player despite what their football people wanted.

Everyone bends the truth from time to time, even on here. But right now that man and his wife have been genuine with their answers.
How can you say that? you have no idea whether they are being genuine or not. You are making declarative statements which are just impossible to know.

I haven't said anything either way up until now...

But I don't believe that ownership has ever made a call on a specific player despite what their football people wanted.
Agree to disagree.

It's widely been reported that Carr was a McNair pick. Casserly reportedly wanted Peppers.

McNair chose a fellow South Carolina alum.

McNair said get me a QB and RS being over a barrel picked Os in FA.

Gates had a lot of say in Microsoft.
Bezos in Amazon
Musk in Tesla/SpaceX/Twitter

That’s what owners do.
That very well may be the case in those organizations, but that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison either.
I have no idea who else the owners of those companies hire and what decisions they are responsible for making.

However, "most" NFL owners have GM's and the scouting departments report to them. Then there is the head coach, who more than likely has control over the roster. The CFO's, the other coaches and operations team members all get paid a buttload of money to evaluate, plan and come up with feasible and responsible courses of action. To dismiss all the work and recommendations that group of well over most likely 40 people, who get paid an exorbitant amount of money just flies in the face of common sense.

That's not to say that isn't the case, but it simply doesn't seem like a smart approach.

That very well may be the case in those organizations, but that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison either.
I have no idea who else the owners of those companies hire and what decisions they are responsible for making.

However, "most" NFL owners have GM's and the scouting departments report to them. Then there is the head coach, who more than likely has control over the roster. The CFO's, the other coaches and operations team members all get paid a buttload of money to evaluate, plan and come up with feasible and responsible courses of action. To dismiss all the work and recommendations that group of well over most likely 40 people, who get paid an exorbitant amount of money just flies in the face of common sense.

That's not to say that isn't the case, but it simply doesn't seem like a smart approach.
Do you think if anyone on this forum was rich enough to me majority owner of an NFL team, they'd just sit back and be a silent owner and not have any say in the operation of the team. I suppose you think the owner would select his GM, but after that just sit back and be a "fan". Maybe come on TT and gripe how his team is being run?

Do you think if anyone on this forum was rich enough to me majority owner of an NFL team, they'd just sit back and be a silent owner and not have any say in the operation of the team. I suppose you think the owner would select his GM, but after that just sit back and be a "fan". Maybe come on TT and gripe how his team is being run?
"Having say" and "Demanding" are two different things.

Meaning, I fully believe an owner would say they want a QB when picking in the top 3 or so of the draft. They may even say they want to trade up to get what the group feels is the best player. I think it's counterproductive to hire 40+ people that know more than you do, pay them millions upon millions of dollars and then dismiss those thoughts and demand they take a player the coach doesn't want to coach.

Now if I were rich enough to actually be an NFL owner (see never) and I wanted to have more say (which I probably would), then I simply wouldn't have a team of 40+ people to help me with those decisions. I would also be more than willing to accept any failure on the field that was a product of my poor decision making, but I understand personal accountability these days is a bit of a foreign concept. The fact of the matter is I have little to no idea about what goes into the total concept of running an NFL franchise, as depicted by the Houston Texans complete leadership structure.

Not listening is probably the single most stupid thing any owner can do.
There should be a balance.

This is exactly how the Pats, Chiefs/49ers/Packers etc... do it. You know the successful

"Having say" and "Demanding" are two different things.

Meaning, I fully believe an owner would say they want a QB when picking in the top 3 or so of the draft. They may even say they want to trade up to get what the group feels is the best player. I think it's counterproductive to hire 40+ people that know more than you do, pay them millions upon millions of dollars and then dismiss those thoughts and demand they take a player the coach doesn't want to coach.

Now if I were rich enough to actually be an NFL owner (see never) and I wanted to have more say (which I probably would), then I simply wouldn't have a team of 40+ people to help me with those decisions. I would also be more than willing to accept any failure on the field that was a product of my poor decision making, but I understand personal accountability these days is a bit of a foreign concept. The fact of the matter is I have little to no idea about what goes into the total concept of running an NFL franchise, as depicted by the Houston Texans complete leadership structure.

Not listening is probably the single most stupid thing any owner can do.
There should be a balance.

In any business you hire great people and let them do their jobs.

I would get with a former scout like Bryan Broaddus and have him teach me how to grind the tape. So when I sat down with Caserio/Ryans/Scouts I would be speaking the same language that were.

Example: If Caserio/Ryans/scouts said this wasn't the yr to pick a QB high in the draft and next yr would be a great yr to draft a QB and I needed an up grade at QB now. I would tell Caserio to sign Keenum and draft Bennett/ Haener or whoever they wanted to pick in the later rds. But that's just me.

Most owners are involved in other things. Things that made them wealthy enough to become a majority owner of an NFL franchise.

I would think they would spend the majority of their time on those other obligations.

What units? I would assume your talking about the ST's, because the Offense/Defensive units certainly didn't hold up their end of the bargain.

Chris freaking Moore was his WR1 for much of the yr. Jordan was TE1 for much of the yr, Burkhead was the 3rd down RB until Pierce went down and then he became RB1. The IOL was awful. I'm ok with moving on from Mills, although Stroud certainly wouldn't have been my choice. But Let's not act like Mills ever stood a chance of being successful.
If you don't know why they brought in Keenum and drafted a QB with the second pick; there's no use talking.

The Colts were terrible in Manning's rookie year, but anybody who knows QB play can tell that it wasn't his fault. He was not the sore spot on the offense.

Mills was that one for the Texans.

The line only allowed 38 sacks, fewer than 16 other teams and same as 3 others.

Mills sucked even with DP in the lineup.

The receivers had 16 drops; only 6 other teams had fewer.

Mills was ranked dead last.

No other unit on the Texans were ranked dead last.

When I heard that this morning I was glad but not surprised. He's exhibiting leadership.
That may be. I like Tunsil. But where was he through OTAs, with so many new coaches, players and techneques being introduced? I believe that this is the 3rd season that he has "missed" OTAs.

Most owners are involved in other things. Things that made them wealthy enough to become a majority owner of an NFL franchise.

I would think they would spend the majority of their time on those other obligations.
if an owner has another business, owner should have people in place to run it as would GM of football team. I think $ is primary for owning NFL team or any business but owner can fo what they want.

If I owned Texans, I would put in my thoughts but doubt I would override GM or HC. Hiring Obrien, Easterby or Obriens successor? You betcha!
It's my team fans stop supporting, I will worry then.

Back