Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

NFL RB Rankings 2023: Texans’ Dameon Pierce Surges up List
Houston Texans running back Dameon Pierce turned some heads with a strong rookie season.

At this time a year ago, Dameon Pierce was a relatively unknown rookie running back that the Houston Texans had selected out of Florida in the fourth round of the NFL Draft. But Pierce was impressive enough throughout the summer that he earned 220 carries in his rookie season, and now looks like a building block for a Texans team with an increasing amount of young talent.

To that end, Pro Football Focus ranked Pierce as the No. 14 running back in the NFL entering the 2023 season, a fairly meteoric rise in a calendar year:

"Pierce was a one-man wrecking crew during his first NFL season. He ranked first among rookies and fifth in the league in total missed tackles forced (49). He was also tied with Nick Chubb for the most missed tackles forced per attempt. His total first-down runs and yards after contact were both top-10 marks in the league as well."

Interestingly, Pierce is only one spot behind Alvin Kamara of the New Orleans Saints, who has long been seen as one of the most complete running backs in the NFL. And after rushing for 939 yards in his rookie season, Pierce is one spot ahead of Travis Etienne of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

That's perhaps the latest in a long line of evidence that you're as likely to find an above-average running back in the mid-to-late rounds as the NFL Draft as the first round, where the Jaguars selected Etienne in 2021.

Strangely enough, Pierce now feels like one of the more established players on the Texans. However, as DeMeco Ryans prepares for his first year as head coach in Houston, the Texans did add veteran wide receiver Robert Woods and tight end Dalton Schultz via free agency.

He was pure projection given his limted touches in College, but he flashed in every aspect including Senior Bowl https://247sports.com/college/flori...owl-running-back-by-CBS-Sports-182503608/Amp/
Then on to the combine The Texans' run game was nonexistent last season, ranking last in both yards per game and yards per carry. Pierce isn't a speedster, but he's one of the toughest runners in this class and should offer an immediate physical presence to pair with Marlon Mack and company. -- by Mark Dulgerian

Real issue here is RB position is undervalued. The 2023 RB draft class was exceptional but Texans did not target one, hope that doesn’t come back to bite DeMeco in the ass cause San Fran carried 5 capable backs. Injuries are a *****, Pierce never finished his rookie season. Thought one was worth a shot, even undrafted free agents. RB room will have to be addressed. There are still options,

He was pure projection given his limted touches in College, but he flashed in every aspect including Senior Bowl https://247sports.com/college/flori...owl-running-back-by-CBS-Sports-182503608/Amp/
Then on to the combine The Texans' run game was nonexistent last season, ranking last in both yards per game and yards per carry. Pierce isn't a speedster, but he's one of the toughest runners in this class and should offer an immediate physical presence to pair with Marlon Mack and company. -- by Mark Dulgerian

Real issue here is RB position is undervalued. The 2023 RB draft class was exceptional but Texans did not target one, hope that doesn’t come back to bite DeMeco in the ass cause San Fran carried 5 capable backs. Injuries are a *****, Pierce never finished his rookie season. Thought one was worth a shot, even undrafted free agents. RB room will have to be addressed. There are still options,

Kyle Juszczyk
Tevin Coleman
Raheem Mostert
Matt Breida
Jerick McKinnon
Elijah Mitchell
Jeff Wilson
Trey Sermon

This 49ers admin doesn't place a lot of draft value towards rbs. McKinnon & Sermon being the earliest picks (3rd rounders), the former being a pick by the Chiefs in 2014.

Half of them were undrafted.

Yep. Live the truth, even if it hurts.

If the team ain't got "Houston" in front of it, I can't really get into the team.

My PRIMARY team will always be a Houston team. I grew up in Houston.

But.

There was a period in my life after I got married where my wife and I moved every couple of years. Although our primary team was always Houston, we learned to root for the teams where we lived as well... except for when we were in the Dallas area.

So my secondary teams over the years have been the Cards (when we were in Phoenix), the Raiders (when we were in LA), the Chargers (when we were near San Clemente), and the Eagles when we were outside Philly.

I became a fan of Andy Reid's when we were in Philly so I have a soft spot for the Chiefs, but they're starting to flirt with being over-powered.

We even shared season tickets to the Suns when we were in Phoenix, but we always went and cheered on the Rockets when they played.

I haven't been an NBA fan for 20 years, so it's just the Texans now.

Heaven help me.

Unless I start cheering for Valencia in La Liga.
th

(And, yes, that's a bat.)

EDIT:
I should note that the Eagles fans loved my wife and I because we had a common enemy. They loved the fact that we were Texans who hated the Cowboys.

Deebo was a RB who wanted to be paid like a WR so they agreed to move and designate him as such.
McCaffrey trade cost 49ers 2nd, 3rd & 4th round picks in 2023 and 5th next year.

Show me a rb who has 128 rec and 1400 yds

How many of the current coaches have been developing QB for the Texans in the past? You argument to use what happened in 2010, 2015, or any other period is irrelevant when judging if this coaching staff can develop Stroud.
I believe in Jerrod Johnson

Hey do y’all remember the Texans employed you’ll method with Savage and Watson? Bill O’Brien realized he made a mistake and quickly bench Savage who he drafted four years prior. Some of you same gents were saying the same exact things. Why rush Watson. Watson chump self came out there and showed y’all why you should’ve started him from the beginning. It also shows why you start working him with the 1s.

Beerlover I’m in agreement with you as well.
Until he got hurt behind a terrible ol, as I predicted at the time.

Stroud shouldn't have these issues. The ol should be a strength of the team if Caserio drafted well this yr.

To me, the “team leader” in receptions is a three horse race between Nico, Schultz and Dell. If Nico plays every game, I give him the edge. If Metchie does not return to a consistent workload (cancer recovery, persistent hamstring issues) I give Dell the nod. If neither of those scenarios occur, I make Schultz the favorite.

I don’t expect Metchie to make much of an impact this season. Just judging off Quessenberry’s recovery, I think he’s another year away from being a reliable contributor. Which would mean Dell gets his snaps.
Don't sleep on Woods. This is his yr 2 after tearing his acl. I'm thinking he or Collins leafs the team in receptions.

Not scrambling and focusing on his reads should put Stroud ahead of the learning curve for the average rookie. I am particularly excited to see his accuracy and how it effects the players around him. Particularly on those out routes Mills could not hit!

From the article CND just posted:

“I think something I am good at is I throw guys open,” said Stroud during his press conference at the 2023 NFL combine in Indianapolis. “I think I have done that in my career where guys aren’t wide open, but I try to throw them that way. I try to throw them down (field), I try to throw them out (routes), I try to throw them over their shoulders. Separation is not always going to be there, so that is something I pride myself on.”

Trust the process.

No excuses.

Brilliant posts a few pages back... I smell what you're stepping in & it's exactly the way I think it should be.
Too many caught up with instant gratification these days with "the entire world" basically being at their fingertips.
I'd rather see them develop this young buck(eye) into a great/elite QB than have him play a "good" game Y1...
Real happy with the veteran FA pick-ups & the draft class... I don't expect a SB or even AFCCG, but I do expect them to dominate in ways that will be a mindfvck to other teams / league / media / p!sspots & even themselves.
May the odds be in whatever QB's favor that proves the best for this team, Sunday to Sunday.

edit: spelling...

I desperately hope Stroud is "the answer" at quarterback, Ryans is "the answer" at HC, and Caserio is "the answer" at GM. I haven't seen a complete Texans game in two or three years. My interest was very close to zero. If the people above fail, I know I'm done. And considering I'm 55 years old and was a die-hard Oilers fan from the 70's who lived for NFL on Sunday's and Monday nights, it would be sad to let it go. But I will. The game and the players attitudes have changed so much over the years, I don't see me hanging on to another rebuild in three or four years.

Same boat for me, too. :friends:

I think the older I get, the more I've become acutely aware of our finite existence on this planet.

And because of that awareness, the less I want to spend any of my time wasting it on entertainment that does not entertain me.

That said, for DeMeco, I'm up for one more Charlie Brown attempt at kicking the ball. But, next time the Texans devolve into Lucy-ball and pull it away will probably be the last that I'll closely follow a franchise. After that point, I'll hang with my sons come playoff time, but I can't see myself watching a 3 win team spin their wheels in futility year after year.

Unfortunately, Avery has a way of inserting himself long after the QBs he worked with in college are coached by their NFL QB coaches.

How much did he work with Avery in college? I've read that he met and worked with him as well as Jordan Palmer at the Elite 11 camp. John Beck is who did all of his training and preparation in the months leading up to the draft according to all of the articles and videos I've seen.

How much did he work with Avery in college? I've read that he met and worked with him as well as Jordan Palmer at the Elite 11 camp. John Beck is who did all of his training and preparation in the months leading up to the draft according to all of the articles and videos I've seen.
Avery's influence on Avery goes back to high school. Like I said Avery tends to hang on to young QBs into the NFL, whether formally or informally. He has been closely associated with David Mulugheta and his QB clients. He would commonly work with Watson and Malik Willis after their team practices. Yes, Avery has inserted himself in young NFL QBs. No reason to believe that he won't with Stroud.

2020 QB guru Quincy Avery talks about working with McCord, Fields from Elite 11

2019 Elite 11 Pro Day: Top High School QBs in the Nation Travel to The Opening

Avery's influence on Avery goes back to high school. Like I said Avery tends to hang on to young QBs into the NFL, whether formally or informally. He has been closely associated with David Mulugheta and his QB clients. He would commonly work with Watson and Malik Willis after their team practices. Yes, Avery has inserted himself in young NFL QBs. No reason to believe that he won't with Stroud.

2020 QB guru Quincy Avery talks about working with McCord, Fields from Elite 11

2019 Elite 11 Pro Day: Top High School QBs in the Nation Travel to The Opening

Why didn't he prepare Stroud for the combine and his pro day? Just seems odd that he's so valued by Mulugheta but not enough for that. Unless Mulugheta knew without question that the Texans would be in the mix and threw CJ to John Beck and 3DQB with that in mind? Beck is also a Shanny guy.

Why didn't he prepare Stroud for the combine and his pro day? Just seems odd that he's so valued by Mulugheta but not enough for that. Unless Mulugheta knew without question that the Texans would be in the mix and threw CJ to John Beck and 3DQB with that in mind? Beck is also a Shanny guy.
No one is wanting Avery to have any influence with Stroud, you understand that don't you?

Brilliant posts a few pages back... I smell what you're stepping in & it's exactly the way I think it should be.
Too many caught up with instant gratification these days with "the entire world" basically being at their fingertips.
I'd rather see them develop this young buck(eye) into a great/elite QB than have him play a "good" game Y1...
Real happy with the veteran FA pick-ups & the draft class... I don't expect a SB or even AFCCG, but I do expect them to dominate in ways that will be a mindfvck to other teams / league / media / p!sspots & even themselves.
May the odds be in whatever QB's favor that proves the best for this team, Sunday to Sunday.

edit: spelling...
Uh you might want to edit again for spelling. I think you missed a couple..

Back