Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

No one is wanting Avery to have any influence with Stroud, you understand that don't you?

I just find it odd so many of y'all act like Avery is waiting behind every corner right behind CJ. The Watson ptsd is extremely strong around these parts. John Beck is in multiple videos and articles with Stroud. Can't that be worrisome in a way also? He's Dak's personal qb coach (make of that what you will), was Zach Wilson's main teacher, and has also taught Justin Fields and Trey Lance. Then again.......he did help Stroud nail his pro day and combine performances that helped him cement his value so wth do I know?

I just find it odd so many of y'all act like Avery is waiting behind every corner right behind CJ. The Watson ptsd is extremely strong around these parts.
And that's why. We have experienced the nightmares that having Avery around (and he insisted it be every practice) bring.

And that's why. We have experienced the nightmares that having Avery around (and he insisted it be every practice) bring.

Was he really around every practice? It doesn't seem like something O'Brien would've been thrilled with. I paid a lot more attention during those days than I have the past three years or so. But maybe that's just something I never came across.

Was he really around every practice? It doesn't seem like something O'Brien would've been thrilled with. I paid a lot more attention during those days than I have the past three years or so. But maybe that's just something I never came across.
I don't recall hearing anything about Avery being at every practice. I doubt O'Brien would allow a private QB coach to be at his practices and interrupting his coaches. Unless we have a link or picture of Avery attending and coaching at an official Texans practice, I think this is another forum myth or Bogeyman sighting.

BTW. The majority of NFL QBS have a private QB coach. Tom Brady had a private QB coach (Tom Martinez) and even a throwing coach (Tom House). If anyone remembers, Tom House was a former pitcher who became known for his new wave pitching techniques and working with pitchers like Nolan Ryan on their mechanics and maximizing their throwing motions.

Last edited:
I don't recall hearing anything about Avery being at every practice. I doubt O'Brien would allow a private QB coach to be at his practices and interrupting his coaches. Unless we have a link or picture of Avery attending and coaching at an official Texans practice, I think this is another forum myth or Bogeyman sighting.

BTW. The majority of NFL QBS have a private QB coach. Tom Brady had a private QB coach (Tom Martinez) and even a throwing coach (Tom House). If anyone remembers, Tom House was a former pitcher who became known for his new wave pitching techniques and working with pitchers like Nolan Ryan on their mechanics and maximizing their throwing motions.
Avery wasn't necessarily present at all Texans practices. He commonly worked with Watson at NRG following official practices. In fact, I personally saw him working with Watson at NRG after a couple of Texans games (A coach I know confirmed that his was not an unusual happening). Also related was that there was enough conflicting teachings of techniques that there existed significant irritation with the relationship. No myth.........and certainly no Bogeyman.

Avery wasn't necessarily present at all Texans practices. He commonly worked with Watson at NRG following official practices. In fact, I personally saw him working with Watson at NRG after a couple of Texans games (A coach I know confirmed that his was not an unusual happening). Also related was that there was enough conflicting teachings of techniques that there existed significant irritation with the relationship. No myth.........and certainly no Bogeyman.
I recall reading reports that after a loss, Watson stayed on the field throwing. However, isn't working with Avery on his own after official practices or after bad games totally different from Avery "insisting on attending every practice"? That's why I wrote myth and Bogeyman. It's overstated and irrational.

Also, as these private QB coaches, gurus, or whisperers work with these college and NFL QBs, there is friction and irritation with their coaching staffs. It's not unique to Avery and the Texans. Shoot, I've even heard of parents getting QB coaches for their kids playing Pee-Wee football.

For the record, I have no idea if Avery is good at his job or defending what he does. My comments are regarding he insisted on attending every practice. If you look at these QB coaches with an unbiased look, practicing with their clients or irritating coaching staffs is not unique to the Texans and Avery.

Last edited:
I may have used poetic license and hyperbole there... it's common on this board and you use it quite a bit yourself. So if you want to call me out on it, go ahead
I wasn't calling you out and that was not my intention. I took it literally and you know how hyperbole get turned into fact on this forum and gets repeated ad nauseum to push an agenda.

Also, as these private QB coaches, gurus, or whisperers work with these college and NFL QBs, there is friction and irritation with their coaching staffs. It's not unique to Avery and the Texans. Shoot, I've even heard of parents getting QB coaches for their kids playing Pee-Wee football.
Private coaches for QBs at the NFL level are meant to enhance the team's teachings, not conflict with them. I also know of high school and college QB private coaches who by their "interventions" have created conflicts. But at the NFL level, let's remember who pays the QBs' multimillion dollar salaries..............and it is NOT the private coaches. Hence, most understand that they are there to reinforce the teams' directions............not to obstruct them.

Private coaches for QBs at the NFL level are meant to enhance the team's teachings, not conflict with them. I also know of high school and college QB private coaches who by their "interventions" have created conflicts. But at the NFL level, let's remember who pays the QBs' multimillion dollar salaries..............and it is NOT the private coaches. Hence, most understand that they are there to reinforce the teams' directions............not to obstruct them.
Agree. Brady had his personal trainer (Alex Guerrero) in the locker room and even on team flights. It got to the point that Belichick had to ban Guerrero from the sidelines and flights. So, again. This stuff with Avery is not unique to the Texans.

Personally, I really don't care what Avery does. The question is how the Texans handle him or any of these private coaches when their philosophies clash.

I have grown tired of arguing and having slap fights over how we interpret past. Feels like we will argue over the definition of what the word “is” means. Things that have happened pre- Demeco HC hiring are dead.

Looking forward to discussing the future growth. We have about 100 more days.

I know dumb when I hear it. Good test scores don't ensure success. Bad test scores usually ensure failure. I know there are outliers but I wouldn't bet on outliers. Same reason I didn't want Young, he's a different kind of outlier.

I know dumb when I hear it. Good test scores don't ensure success. Bad test scores usually ensure failure. I know there are outliers but I wouldn't bet on outliers. Same reason I didn't want Young, he's a different kind of outlier.

I know they're completely different tests (S2 v Wonderlic), but there have been many successful QBs that scored low on what used to be the metric (Wonderlic).

Dan Marine scored 15 (out of 50). Jim Kelly 15. Terry Bradshaw 15.

I know the S2 is supposed to measure how quickly players can process data, but at the same time, so much of what they do is muscle memory and they are trained to automatically react to situations that they've practiced over and over. Heck, it's already been revealed that you can increase your S2 score by practicing the test itself over and over.

The point being that we really don't know what any of these rookies are capable of until the action starts in September. The player, the system, the coaches, and the team around him matter as much as anything else.

You can not like Stroud for whatever reason you choose. Free country and all. I'm just pointing out your inconsistent comparison. Bortles didn't fail because he scored low on a test.

And let's remember that in Manning's first 5 years, he barely had a .500 record, was 0-3 in playoff games, and threw 100 interceptions. So actually Stroud does have a pretty good change of being either one.

I know they're completely different tests (S2 v Wonderlic), but there have been many successful QBs that scored low on what used to be the metric (Wonderlic).

I know the S2 is supposed to measure how quickly players can process data, but at the same time, so much of what they do is muscle memory and they are trained to automatically react to situations that they've practiced over and over. Heck, it's already been revealed that you can increase your S2 score by practicing the test itself over and over.

The point being that we really don't know what any of these rookies are capable of until the action starts in September. The player, the system, the coaches, and the team around him matter as much as anything else.
The best response thus far. DB you’re the man brother. I just couldn’t do it. Imo somethings are way out there. And calling a person you don’t know dumb it way out there.

You do know that the S2 score is only a minor reason he calls him dumb? It has nothing to do with general intelligence or football IQ
You forgot because of who he chose for his agent and his role models.

Didn't Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson once say that Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell cat if you spotted him the c and the t ? Henderson only has one ring, Bradshaw has four.

No qb that's scored low on the S-2 has been successful the NFL, I don't expect this to change.

You can not like Stroud for whatever reason you choose. Free country and all. I'm just pointing out your inconsistent comparison. Bortles didn't fail because he scored low on a test.

And let's remember that in Manning's first 5 years, he barely had a .500 record, was 0-3 in playoff games, and threw 100 interceptions. So actually Stroud does have a pretty good change of being either one.
Ok

Can you give me the entire list of S2 scores by tomorrow morning so I can verify?

Thanks, in advance.
No, but you can take what the people who designed the test at their word or not.

I don't do homework assignments anymore .

• Haha
Reactions: JB
No, but you can take what the people who designed the test at their word or not.

I don't do homework assignments anymore .
So this great test of long standing :rolleyes: has had this proven by how many QB's? And now Stroud can be the first to disprove it. And then you will ask for another buffet table of crow right?

I don’t know why people think that steel’s opinion on the S2 test will change. Why keep going in circles.
To be fair, it's not just the S-2 that makes me think he's dumb. The trash he's chose to surround himself with reinforced what the S-2 tried to tell p-ssywhipped Cal.

So this great test of long standing :rolleyes: has had this proven by how many QB's? And now Stroud can be the first to disprove it. And then you will ask for another buffet table of crow right?
5 years of testing. If Strpud becomes better than Mahomes,Burrow,Allen I will eat crow.

To be fair, it's not just the S-2 that makes me think he's dumb. The trash he's chose to surround himself with reinforced what the S-2 tried to tell p-ssywhipped Cal.

Whatever it is you aren’t going to change your opinion until Stroud at the highest of levels, he changes his agent, or signs a team friendly deal. Or all of the above.

I don’t know but you aren’t changing your opinion so why do people keep engage in rehashing the topic?

It’s like the Jordan vs LeBron talk. We all know Jordan is GOAT and better than LeBron. But no one is going to engage with a LeBron fan boy because they are just silly and a waste of time.

Agree. Brady had his personal trainer (Alex Guerrero) in the locker room and even on team flights. It got to the point that Belichick had to ban Guerrero from the sidelines and flights. So, again. This stuff with Avery is not unique to the Texans.

Personally, I really don't care what Avery does. The question is how the Texans handle him or any of these private coaches when their philosophies clash.
Just to be clear, Alex Guerrero was not Brady's personal QB coach. He was Brady's "body" coach.

Reactions: JB
Care to explain how my opinion makes me a troll I've got high expectations for a QB picked at 1-2. Less than a top 5 QB is lowered expectations.
Because you change your opinions at least once a day and try to bully it onto others

Because you change your opinions at least once a day and try to bully it onto others
Just to be clear on my opinions

1. Stroud’s dumb as a box of rocks.
2, At best he will be a top 10-15 QB on talent alone.
3. The McNairs are repeating history and haven't learned a damned thing from their past mistakes over the last decade, really the past 2 decades
4. The McNairs 1st priority isn't and never has been bringing a championship to Kirby
5. I enjoy talking ball with y'all
6. I enjoy watching train wrecks, faces of death etc...
7. There will be no championships.

I think throughout the yrs I've been pretty consistent with my opinions.

Just to be clear, Alex Guerrero was not Brady's personal QB coach. He was Brady's "body" coach.

Yes. I know. Alex Guerrero was his personal trainer, Tom House was his throwing coach and Tom Martinez was his QB coach.

I was agreeing and responding to your "not the private coaches" statement and gave another example of a private coach who conflicted with the team's coaching staff's philosophy and demonstrating that this happens on many teams, not just the Texans.

Back