Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I think the signs all point to McDaniels eventually being here if he wants it. He's had a working relationship with Caserio for years, his brother is already here, and the Texans owners are the most patient of all 32 franchises.

I'm ambivalent about McDaniels. He wasted a 1st round pick on Tim Tebow, but also won a playoff game with Tim Tebow.

His behavior with Indy was flaky as hell, and being flaky is one of those personality flaws that I personally cannot stand and do not tolerate in my own life.

But, the Texans are the epitome of flaky from the owners on down so maybe he'll just fit right in.
I had no idea that Casserio and McDaniels had such a close personal history along with their professional time.
Both 45, both Ohio natives, and both attended John Carrol U. 1995 thru 1998, and then there's the shared experience in New England.
So a 25 year relationship.

I think the signs all point to McDaniels eventually being here if he wants it. He's had a working relationship with Caserio for years, his brother is already here, and the Texans owners are the most patient of all 32 franchises.

I'm ambivalent about McDaniels. He wasted a 1st round pick on Tim Tebow, but also won a playoff game with Tim Tebow.

His behavior with Indy was flaky as hell, and being flaky is one of those personality flaws that I personally cannot stand and do not tolerate in my own life.

But, the Texans are the epitome of flaky from the owners on down so maybe he'll just fit right in.

That’s a tough decision if I was McDaniels. Do I go to the Texans where of OB lasted as long as he did then McDaniels could last a lifetime? Definitely less savvy owner than Kraft. Lower hurdle for success.

Or stay in New England. Where there would be more pressure to continue the storied legacy of Bill Belicheck. A team that would be built to contend as soon as you took over. But you would forever be in Belicheck’s shadow.

Nope, he got fired in 12 games into 2010 before Tebow ever made his first start, John Fox won a playoff game with Tim Tebow in 2011.

That’s a tough decision if I was McDaniels. Do I go to the Texans where of OB lasted as long as he did then McDaniels could last a lifetime? Definitely less savvy owner than Kraft. Lower hurdle for success.

Or stay in New England. Where there would be more pressure to continue the storied legacy of Bill Belicheck. A team that would be built to contend as soon as you took over. But you would forever be in Belicheck’s shadow.

Great points and a very tough decision.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to follow Belichick as HC. Those are enormous shoes to fill, even with great ownership and winning tradition.

Or, be a legend in Houston if you can just get the Texans to an AFC Championship game (even if you lose lol). Of course, that's no easy feat, either.

Nope, he got fired in 12 games into 2010 before Tebow ever made his first start, John Fox won a playoff game with Tim Tebow in 2011.

Good memory! :thumbup

Well, then McDaniels is the dummy that wasted a first round pick on Tim Tebow! lol

This could be good. They play the Jags. Could set up the Jags for a win.

Unfortunately the Jags probably have to have a better record than us for us to get #1, because I believe the tiebreaker (SOS) favors the Jags. So they’d need to win 2. Oh, and the Lions still need to win one. And of course, the Texans have to lose out. Probably the easiest of the 3.

Well, then McDaniels is the dummy that wasted a first round pick on Tim Tebow! lol
We're in another thread, talking about GMs needing to stay in their lanes. I think it's the same for HCs.

I don't understand why McDaniels gets so much credit/blame for Tebow & he didn't even play him.

We're in another thread, talking about GMs needing to stay in their lanes. I think it's the same for HCs.

I don't understand why McDaniels gets so much credit/blame for Tebow & he didn't even play him.

Let's remember he did a lot of questionable sh*t and purged a lot of talent out of Denver including Jay Cutler. He wasn't great - but he was a top 6-10 qb at the time.

McDaniels first go as an HC was a massive failure. I can see us lining up to go that direction definitely, but I won't be rooting for it. I think we can do better.

Very simple: EGO

"McDaniels wanted a project quarterback that he could turn into a star. He wanted to prove his already sizable list of doubters wrong. He staked his entire reputation on the development of Tebow. Little did he know he'd ruin that reputation long before Tebow would ever get the chance to develop." ~ Source

Very simple: EGO

"McDaniels wanted a project quarterback that he could turn into a star. He wanted to prove his already sizable list of doubters wrong. He staked his entire reputation on the development of Tebow. Little did he know he'd ruin that reputation long before Tebow would ever get the chance to develop." ~ Source
You do know that's just some guys opinion & doesn't address the subject of my post.

HCs HC. GMs GM.

However, I decided to Google it myself & this is what I found

"The dynamics were he had final say on player personnel issues," Xanders said of McDaniels during an interview with The Associated Press. "I was respectful of that, and I was going to work under those parameters. We did our best to build our draft board and free-agency ranking lists and match the player personnel fits with scheme requirements we have."

The best thing for me about the Texans win is that it did not change the draft order. The only significant change in the standings was the New York Giants joining at Four Wins and 11 losses.

The best thing for me about the Texans win is that it did not change the draft order. The only significant change in the standings was the New York Giants joining at Four Wins and 11 losses.
I dunno are we currently still picking#3 overall because yesterdays victory put us into the 4-win group with the Giants & Jets.
SOS is the tie-breaker, right ?

I dunno are we currently still picking#3 overall because yesterdays victory put us into the 4-win group with the Giants & Jets.
SOS is the tie-breaker, right ?
Yes as far as strength to schedule. Final order probably not known until end of regular season but most of the sources I use:
Jags Lions Texans Jets Giants Jets Panthers.

Cats not doing so good this season.

Under FWIW,

I wonder why the article left out Tyree Jackson, Cardale Jones, Shea Patterson, John O'Korn, Brandon Peters, Cody Kessler, Josh Nunes, and Kevin Hogan, who he’s also worked with in the past decade?

Under FWIW,

I agree with this. Pep would definitely be on my short list. He would be a fantastic hire.

As of right now My short list of HC candidates would be

1. McDaniels
2. Dan Quinn
3. Pep
4. Lombardi
5. Bowles

I wonder why the article left out Tyree Jackson, Cardale Jones, Shea Patterson, John O'Korn, Brandon Peters, Cody Kessler, Josh Nunes, and Kevin Hogan, who he’s also worked with in the past decade?

Give Pep a guy with talent and he will get the best out of them. Love the job he's done with Mills under a very adverse situation.

No other NFL HC/OC/QB coach ever got anything out of the guys you listed. Looks like they weren't NFL talents to begin with.

Maybe because the league churns through QBs? It would be natural to have more failures than successes.
That's fine. But if we're going to deem someone some kind of QB whisperer, I think it's disingenuous to only mention the top of draft talent he's worked with, where the potential for success is much greater, and not mention ALL the others he's worked with that were total duds.

That's fine. But if we're going to deem someone some kind of QB whisperer, I think it's disingenuous to only mention the top of draft talent he's worked with, where the potential for success is much greater, and not mention ALL the others he's worked with that were total duds.
& it's not like those others have to be MVP candidates. If he took an undrafted nobody to a Case Keenum career, that would be something.

But for his nobodies to remain nobodies, that says something.

I think it's fair to point out QB's he wasn't successful working with, that other teams OC/QB coaches guided to success on other teams. Pep's been very good at his job.

Texans' Charlie Heck on makeshift line: 'Something to be proud of'
By Aaron WilsonDec 28, 2021

Although the Texans had to go with a makeshift offensive line due to coronavirus cases, they had one of their top performances of the season Sunday in an upset victory over the Los Angeles Chargers.

The Texans rushed for 189 yards, including a career-high 149 yards and two touchdowns from running back Rex Burkhead.

They also allowed just one sack as rookie quarterback Davis Mills completed 21 of 27 passes for 254 yards and two touchdowns for a 130.6 passer rating. He was only hit twice behind left tackle Geron Christian Sr., left guard Cole Toner, rookie center Jimmy Morrissey, right guard Max Scharping and right tackle Charlie Heck. Left tackle Tytus Howard, left guard Lane Taylor and center Justin Britt were out after testing positive for COVID.

“That’s really something to be proud of," Heck said. "That’s something you will look back on your playing career and that’s one of the things that will stick out. A group of guys, we’ve all been practicing the whole year so it’s fun to see a lot of guys get that opportunity come together. When we had success, it was awesome. Really proud."
THE REST OF THE STORY

I'm not really worried about Tunsil. I think his days are numbered as a Texan. Vincent Taylor, on the other hand, is our best run stuffer, and I'd like to get him back on the field if he's ready. However, we only have 2 games left, so I'm not really worried about either one coming back at this stage. I'm just hoping VT will be here, and be ready to go next season.

Texans' Tremon Smith qualifies as 'triple threat'
Dec 31, 2021

The versatility of Texans kickoff returner and cornerback Tremon Smith was on full display during a toss sweep Sunday against the Los Angeles Chargers.

lined up at running back, dashing outside to break off a seven-yard run during a 41-29 upset victory at NRG Stadium.

It wasn't a surprise to see Smith's athleticism considering that he bolted 98 yards for a touchdown on a kickoff return two games ago against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Smith had lobbied offensive coordinator Tim Kelly for a shot on offense. When Smith scored against the Jaguars, Kelly told him it was time to have a serious talk about getting him involved.

"It started off as a little bit of a joke in terms of like, ‘Yeah, if you score, we’ll have a conversation,'" Kelly said. "The more you watch him with the ball in his hand, he’s got unique ability to run with the football. He’s fast, he’s got good vision, he’s a strong runner. It would only make sense to try to put him in a position to where he can come out and help us on offense, and he did a good job in his one carry.

"So, yeah, that was kind of the deal. I went up to him in Jacksonville after he returned it and I’m like, ‘I think it’s time to have that conversation right now.’

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. Who would you say is better?
Considering they're one of the worst at stuffing the run, cardboard cutouts might be legit options, but I'll at least go with anybody who actually gets on the field over a guy who plays 1 game. That dude ain't stuffing nobody.

When thinking of the greatest weaknesses on this team where do you begin?

OL in general? Or more specifically run blocking.

Defense: Run stopping.

How do you propose to fix these items? Premium draft capital on OL to get some big nasty people movers? Premium draft choices DL to get run cloggers? Premium draft capital LB to get a stud sideline to sideline menace?

I keep mentioning draft capital because that’s where I think the bulk of our talent will come from this offseason. Though I would be happy if Caserio can hit on some FAs to fix these holes as well.

KGH has been a nice surpise and Wallow has looked decent for his draft position. But both have sub 31” arms which is bottom 5-10% in the league. The team needs more length at the position in general.

I think the top priority next offseason should be the run game. On both sides of the ball. It was nice seeing a productive running game last week. It does a lot for an offense and I think we can all agree we want to see more of that going forward!

Back