Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

Picking up guys on the waiver wire is our former modus operandi? It's every teams modus operandi. Trading draft picks for guys you can get on the waiver wire is Nick Caserio's modus operandi. And it needs to change because it's both wasteful and stupid.

You dont know for sure you can get these guys on the WW. 1st of all you've got the #3 pick. 2nd of all another team that's picking below you may get the guy you want through trade. This happened in the draft regularly when RS was GM.

Last edited:
Meh, gave them a chance to assess him.
9 starts with 3 different NFL teams.
42 college games.

If they can't evaluate him with that, and obviously they couldn't, I'm starting to doubt their scouting department, and whoever that had a hand in bringing him in.
NC, as a GM, has to be held accountable to a certain degree... Maybe even for it all.
It's now the second QB that most of us here don't want from the start.

42 college games.

If they can't evaluate him with that, and obviously they couldn't, I'm starting to doubt their scouting department, and whoever that had a hand in bringing him in.
NC, as a GM, has to be held accountable to a certain degree... Maybe even for it all.

Oh my god,

Caserio spent $750,000 of cap space to get a 1st hand look at a QB. The world as we know it ends.

Posters have asked to keep this kind of conversation out of this thread. I'm out. PM me if you want to discuss this further, or lets move to an appropriate thread. Like the Texans Random Thought of the day thread.

Don't be so dramatic. :brando:

It's not just about the money; it's the inability to gauge talent.
I liked Driskel coming out of college. Dude's got talent. He just hasn't found his place in the NFL. Most likely won't.

I was excited when we signed him. Not so much after preseason game 1. He's not the same guy he was coming out of college.

Oh my god,

Caserio spent $750,000 of cap space to get a 1st hand look at a QB. The world as we know it ends.

Posters have asked to keep this kind of conversation out of this thread. I'm out. PM me if you want to discuss this further, or lets move to an appropriate thread. Like the Texans Random Thought of the day thread.
how much are we spending for your POS, lol

42 college games.

At least they didn't waste a draft pick on him. Finley, Izzo, Hollman.

Oh wait, not supposed to post in this thread. Never mind then.

Well, when he puts it this way…

I begin to understand more completely where the Vegas odds makers are coming from when they believe the Texans will win fewer games than everyone else in the league.

I dont believe the OL is going to be that bad this yr.

The defense should be better but will look bad against top tier offenses.

I dont believe the OL is going to be that bad this yr.

The defense should be better but will look bad against top tier offenses.
Anyone with realistic expectations wouldn't expect the Texans' defense to look good against the top tier teams. But against mid tier teams?

The makeup of this team is looking like it's being put together to win defensively. We are going to have a rotational front 4, keeping everyone fresh, and keeping pressure on the qb. And creating take-a-ways.

Offensively we're going to run, run and run some more. Which is why we are carrying 5 backs. Our passing game will be short to intermediate and the run pass mix will likely trend toward 55-45. It'll be intended to be time consuming, with our Aussi boomer keeping the other team starting their possessions backed up deep on their end of the field.

Ideally, games will be low scoring.

If sucessfully implemented, we should be competive and sucessful against all but the best teams. At least I'm hoping so.

PFT: NFL places 20 players on suspended lists

The reduction of rosters to 53 included the commencement, or as the case may be resumption, of players suspensions. In all, 20 players were placed on various suspended lists today.

Here’s the full list of the suspended players and their absences. Ten currently are on rosters and ten are free agents.

Reverse Mortgage Rate DropARLO™ by All Rev

Panthers defensive back A.J. Bouyehas been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two games of the 2021 season.

Bears defensive tackle Mario Edwards has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two games of
the 2021 season.

Browns receiver Davion Davis has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two games of the 2021 season.

Lions defensive end Jashon Cornell has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first three games of
the 2021 season.

Packers tight end Jace Sternberger has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two games
of the 2021 season.

Texans defensive back Bradley Roby has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first game of the 2021
season.

Raiders defensive back Nevin Lawson has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two games of
the 2021 season.

Dolphins receiver Will Fuller has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first game of the 2021
season.

Saints defensive tackle David Onyemata has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six
games of the 2021 season.

49ers defensive end Jordan Willis has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six games
of the 2021 season.

As to the free agents:

linebacker Ryan Anderson has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six weeks of the
2021 season;

receiver Jermiah Braswell has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first
three weeks of the 2021 season; receiver Ventell Bryant has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two weeks of the 2021 season;

receiver Corey Coleman has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six weeks of the
2021 season;

running back Derrius Guice has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six weeks
of the 2021 season;

tight end Chase Harrell has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first seventeen weeks
of the 2021 season;

tackle Desmond Harrison has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six weeks
of the 2021 season

defensive back Tyrique McGhee has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first five weeks of
the 2021 season;

defensive back Rashard Robinson has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first two
weeks of the 2021 season;

tackle Jared Veldheer has been suspended by the Commissioner for the first six weeks of the
2021 season.

Well, when he puts it this way…

I begin to understand more completely where the Vegas odds makers are coming from when they believe the Texans will win fewer games than everyone else in the league.

Keep in mind Levitan is a fantasy football analyst. 5 RBs makes for a lot of uncertainty when deciding who to start week to week on your fantasy football team.

The OL is not 29th ranked in the league. We’ve seen it play better than that without Tunsil/Cannon all preseason. We’re about to get both of them on the line soon.

The pass rush ranking is fair, they deserve to be ranked low given past performance. But they have impressed me with their hustle at all levels of the depth chart so far and I am hopeful they can overachieve. I don’t expect them to muster much of a pass rush against top OLs but any others they can get to the QB.

Don’t really know your view on Watson. I just don’t like what he did to this team And that is plainly evident. To the women?…I’ll let other folks tear that one apart. It’s not plainly evident. To himself? That’s the funniest **** I’ve seen anywhere. And it’s most evident.

Yes…..what he did to the team was BS. I have my ideas as to why he demanded the trade months after signing his new deal but the last one I’m going to lean on is Cal cutting him out of the final decision on Caserio and Culley.

Undecided…..as to the civil and criminal suits, I’ll let the court of law determine that since there’s a lot of talk and little physical evidence being discussed. It will be discussed, if available, during a hearing. However this goes, I will be fine with the decision since I will have little say in the verdict, if it comes to that, sine I will not be on the jury.

Keep in mind Levitan is a fantasy football analyst.
His opinion is also the prevalent one amongst the majority of football analysts. In fact, I haven't see the Texans not rated as one of the bottom teams in the league by any major publication or website. The only place I've seen the Texans considered a .500 or near .500 team is on this forum, by a cadre of posters.

Anybody's opinion is as valid as another's. At this point. But it's not like Levitan is out on a limb by himself thinking the Texans will stink.

FIVE RBs? As an old wishbone RB, I'm happy to see a stable of versatile RBs. As an observer of an NFL roster? WTH!
5 running backs and a quarterback sitting on the sidelines (or at home) being paid 10+ million dollars. If this were the Colts, or any other team would there be anyone on this board disagreeing with the “train wreck” assertion? I doubt it.

Now, some will get defensive and say I’m a hater. But I’m not blaming the current regime for this mess. I’m also not going to sit here and say “all is well” and anyone that disagrees deserves ridicule.

I liked Driskel coming out of college. Dude's got talent. He just hasn't found his place in the NFL. Most likely won't.

I was excited when we signed him. Not so much after preseason game 1. He's not the same guy he was coming out of college.
Well as of today he's back on the practice squad, Nick just can't quit this guy.

At least they didn't waste a draft pick on him. Finley, Izzo, Hollman.

Oh wait, not supposed to post in this thread. Never mind then.

The Texans need WR's, Tyron Johnson is a very talented WR that the Chargers cut. The Texans tried to wait and get Johnson off of the WW. Johnson was claimed by the Jags. This is why you spend late rd picks to get guys that you really want, who are going to be cut.

BTW, I'm really happy to see that Caserio picked up Isiah Johnson off of the WW.

The Texans need WR's, Tyron Johnson is a very talented WR that the Chargers cut. The Texans tried to wait and get Johnson off of the WW. Johnson was claimed by the Jags. This is why you spend late rd picks to get guys that you really want, who are going to be cut.

BTW, I'm really happy to see that Caserio picked up Isiah Johnson off of the WW.
I tried looking this up but can’t see where we picked him up. Do you know anymore about this? Did we cut anyone to make room for him? Edit. I saw that we did and he was placed on our PS. Looks like he doesn’t have a good pedigree but was a high draft choice.

Interesting look at the released vs waived players. Clearly the Texans were targeting experience with those one year deals to form a crucible for scrubbing that roster.
I dunno what's the essential difference, if any, in releasing and waiving a player ?

I dunno what's the essential difference, if any, in releasing and waiving a player ?
The number of years of NFL service determines if you are waive or release. If a player is released, he is free to sign with another team without going through the waiver wire process.

Edit with more details:

When a player is waived, their contract is not yet terminated. Instead, they go on the waiver wire, where teams can put in a claim for them. If a team claims them, then he joins the new team on his current contract. If no team claims him in a designated period (usually by noon of the next day), his contract is terminated and he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If a player is released, their contract is terminated and they are free to sign anywhere immediately.

Last edited:
To properly guage talent and pick a guys brain you would need to have personal contact with them.
Duh....
He's been on 2 college teams and 4 NFL teams (SF, Cinn, Det, Den).
6 teams in 5 years.

And those NFL teams know good QB play.

What does that tell you?

The number of years of NFL service determines if you are waive or release. If a player is released, he is free to sign with another team without going through the waiver wire process.

Edit with more details:

When a player is waived, their contract is not yet terminated. Instead, they go on the waiver wire, where teams can put in a claim for them. If a team claims them, then he joins the new team on his current contract. If no team claims him in a designated period (usually by noon of the next day), his contract is terminated and he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

If a player is released, their contract is terminated and they are free to sign anywhere immediately.

Interesting. Never knew the answer but just assumed released only referred to players that were earlier signed as FA’s and would revert back to that status

I’m surprised at our dearth of activity on the WW. Overall I think the Texans did good putting together a balanced team so it would be hard for anyone off the WW to make a difference. Surprised to see Driskel back in a way. Lol, Cam Newton and Hoyer are available. Saw GB cut Benkert. Can’t remember if he was the one that looked good against us? May have been Love.

Edit with more details:

That was quick and easy, thanks for the explanation Earl.
Excellent !

I tried looking this up but can’t see where we picked him up. Do you know anymore about this? Did we cut anyone to make room for him? Edit. I saw that we did and he was placed on our PS. Looks like he doesn’t have a good pedigree but was a high draft choice.

He's from UH, he's a big tall fast rangey outside CB that is a former WR. He lacks in agility, but in Lovie's scheme he should be a better fit.

He's from UH, he's a big tall fast rangey outside CB that is a former WR. He lacks in agility, but in Lovie's scheme he should be a better fit.

I liked Johnson coming out of college. Happy he has signed to the practice squad. In the Covid era the practice squad and active roster are much more fluid. Some of the roster decisions make more sense now. EX: Carrying 5 RBs because Phillips more likely to be plucked by a team in need of RB. Light at WR/TE but still keeping Moore/Veasy and Auclair/Quessenberry on PS.

He's been on 2 college teams and 4 NFL teams (SF, Cinn, Det, Den).
6 teams in 5 years.

And those NFL teams know good QB play.

What does that tell you?
There is more to being a leader than adequate play. Intelligence is also something you need to assess personally.

NC made a simple but good point today regarding picking up some players with later round draft choices. Said you can’t always hit but you miss 100% if you don’t take a shot.

That's fine, but the average needs to be a little better than the 0-3 he's batting when it comes to throwing those draft picks away. And it still doesn't explain why he's just giving away those picks in hopes of hitting when they're freaking 3rd on the waiver wire. He could still get those guys for nothing and still have the picks.

And having those picks in your pocket to select a 6th or 7th round player isn't the issue. I know those don't mean much. But having those picks to maneuver in the draft for someone you want is where they really matter. Throwing them away when you don't have to is just dumb.

That's fine, but the average needs to be a little better than the 0-3 he's batting when it comes to throwing those draft picks away. And it still doesn't explain why he's just giving away those picks in hopes of hitting when they're freaking 3rd on the waiver wire. He could still get those guys for nothing and still have the picks.

And having those picks in your pocket to select a 6th or 7th round player isn't the issue. I know those don't mean much. But having those picks to maneuver in the draft for someone you want is where they really matter. Throwing them away when you don't have to is just dumb.
True, but if you hit on a good one, it's worth it.

I can’t remember who the three are that you are referring to. I’m guessing Driskel, Finley and Lawson? If so it wasn’t clear that Lawson was going to be cut by Miami but somebody else certainly could/would have made the same trade for him. I think most people here liked the trade and they did get a pick from the Jets for him Later. Regarding Finley and Driskel he was trying to get QB bodies in the house after the DW allegations got serious. I don’t know what other QB candidates were available then. Not saying there weren’t any, just don’t know. But they would have come at a price then, not off the waiver wire.

I can’t remember who the three are that you are referring to. I’m guessing Driskel, Finley and Lawson? If so it wasn’t clear that Lawson was going to be cut by Miami but somebody else certainly could/would have made the same trade for him. I think most people here liked the trade and they did get a pick from the Jets for him Later. Regarding Finley and Driskel he was trying to get QB bodies in the house after the DW allegations got serious. I don’t know what other QB candidates were available then. Not saying there weren’t any, just don’t know. But they would have come at a price then, not off the waiver wire.

And that's fine too. But do we really think we're hitting on Ryan Finley, Ryan Izzo and Ka'Dar Hollman, who didn't even last a week??

Saw that later. You must have posted that while I was writing. BTW the Texans full PS was filled by players they had in camp. In his presser today NC was discussing his roster philosophy and said he values PS players as much as the 53 because all 65 or so are fungible and will be activated for game day variously according to matchups they individually provide according to the opponent. obviously a benefit to filling your PS with camp players is because they are known commodities and two PS players can be activated each game.

Back