Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

It's not about just physically making the tackle though. Not being in position to make a tackle is a big issue. Running out of their gaps for no apparent reason, taking bad angles, etc. Sometimes they look like they have no clue where the football is. That's more than just putting a shoulder into someone and wrapping up. If that's what you mean by the basics though, then yeah, that would help tremendously. But they haven't been that for a while now. I don't know how you flip the switch on that all of a sudden.

This and their LB's are painfully slow.

Murray's attempts to tackle looks like an episode of the Three Stooges.

The play Derrick Henry took off for 94 yards against us was similar to this. Everyone focused on Cunningham who failed to maintain his gap. Which he definitely deserved criticism for.

At the same time, Scarlett was playing over the guard & got washed out. If he’d have just controlled the guard as Omenehu does here, Henry would have been slowed getting through the line. Maybe someone else would have had another opportunity to mistackle Henry.

I understand Scarlett is not equipped to control a guard as Omenehu is.

Just looking for other opinions - still seems like Watt was held pretty obviously there (to me anyway)? It looked like a worse hold than the one Tunsil was given during the same game.
It doesn't surprise me that the Dlineman was not called for holding. NFL rules allow the olineman to use his hands during the blocking process as long as he is grasping the front of the opponent's jersey.

It doesn't surprise me that the Dlineman was not called for holding. NFL rules allow the olineman to use his hands during the blocking process as long as he is grasping the front of the opponent's jersey.

Thanks - understand, but to me, the block is fine until JJ turns to follow the play - OL's hand is 'holding' wrapped around his shoulder should have been pretty easy for a ref to spot?

Hey Doc I didn't want to mess up the injury thread. I'm wondering who put the screws/plate (I guess) in Conley.

It somewhat bothers me that we have not heard any more about the Texans COVID status. Usually when a team's player tests positive, there is daily follow up for at least a few days. Makes me feel that there is some stalling going on with reporting, and that someone else may have preliminarily tested positive and they are possibly waiting for a confirmatory test.

Texans rookies reps should rise on defense after bye
Oct 29, 2020 at 09:53 AM
Drew Dougherty

More playing time is on the way for the Texans rookies on defense.

After seeing very little action in the first seven contests of the season, defensive lineman Ross Blacklock, outside linebacker Jonathan Greenard and cornerback John Reid will all likely get more game reps when the Texans resume play after this Sunday's bye week.

Blacklock logged a combined 46 snaps in his first four games. But in the last two weeks, he's tallied a combined 43 snaps on defense, playing roughly a third of the total snaps on that side of the ball. Things are looking up for Blacklock, according to defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver.
"Ross has earned more reps, and he's out there getting that game experience, which is obviously priceless for him, in the growth and maturation that has to occur in his career," Weaver said. "There's definitely things we're still working through now."

Greenard, meanwhile, has been active in each of the last four games. He's participated in about half of the special teams snaps each time, but has a combined 11 snaps in that span on defense.

"As he grows more comfortable and gains more confidence and becomes more consistent in his technique and fundamentals, then he'll get more reps, too," Weaver said.
The SEC's sacks leader as a Florida Gator in 2019, Greenard is an exciting prospect, according to his position coach Chris Rumph.

"He has all the ability, he has all the things, the traits, that we look for in an outside linebacker," Rumph said. "He's big. He's 265 pounds. Got long arms. He can set the edge. He has pass-rushing ability. He has strength. He's able to play the run. He's athletic. Then he has the ability also to drop into coverage. I'm excited. When it all comes together, wish it would have came together a little earlier, that's not due to anything that he's done, just circumstances, the situation. So hopefully we'll get him going here the second half of the season."

As for Reid, the Penn State product turned heads in training camp. Getting more time in the secondary on gameday will happen if he keeps up what he's been showing in practice.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Texans rookies reps should rise on defense after bye
Oct 29, 2020 at 09:53 AM
Drew Dougherty

More playing time is on the way for the Texans rookies on defense.

After seeing very little action in the first seven contests of the season, defensive lineman Ross Blacklock, outside linebacker Jonathan Greenard and cornerback John Reid will all likely get more game reps when the Texans resume play after this Sunday's bye week.

Blacklock logged a combined 46 snaps in his first four games. But in the last two weeks, he's tallied a combined 43 snaps on defense, playing roughly a third of the total snaps on that side of the ball. Things are looking up for Blacklock, according to defensive coordinator Anthony Weaver.
"Ross has earned more reps, and he's out there getting that game experience, which is obviously priceless for him, in the growth and maturation that has to occur in his career," Weaver said. "There's definitely things we're still working through now."

Greenard, meanwhile, has been active in each of the last four games. He's participated in about half of the special teams snaps each time, but has a combined 11 snaps in that span on defense.

"As he grows more comfortable and gains more confidence and becomes more consistent in his technique and fundamentals, then he'll get more reps, too," Weaver said.
The SEC's sacks leader as a Florida Gator in 2019, Greenard is an exciting prospect, according to his position coach Chris Rumph.

"He has all the ability, he has all the things, the traits, that we look for in an outside linebacker," Rumph said. "He's big. He's 265 pounds. Got long arms. He can set the edge. He has pass-rushing ability. He has strength. He's able to play the run. He's athletic. Then he has the ability also to drop into coverage. I'm excited. When it all comes together, wish it would have came together a little earlier, that's not due to anything that he's done, just circumstances, the situation. So hopefully we'll get him going here the second half of the season."

As for Reid, the Penn State product turned heads in training camp. Getting more time in the secondary on gameday will happen if he keeps up what he's been showing in practice.
THE REST OF THE STORY

About time

I had to go change my depends just reading that. Shock describes better than excited.
I understand. Just seems like some won’t be happy unless it all burns.

1604443606470.gif
Don’t get me wrong, I understand the situation we’re in & that’s not going to change regardless how many games we win or how many games we lose.

But if we can win a few games along the way...

@Jacksonville
@Cleveland
New England
@ Detroit
Indianapolis
@ Chicago
@ Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Tennessee

Regardless of whether it’s possible or not, regardless how likely/unlikely it is to happen.

Would you be excited if the Texans finished 10-6 ?

When this team finishes 6-10 and gets no extra draft picks or cap rollover/space the new regime will be screwed for the next 4-5 yrs. They sealed their fate today. Hope y'all enjoy lack of fruits of the Texans orgs labor. But hey, Cal/ DW4/JJ are going to get what they deserve for their stupidity. I really feel for the new GM/HC.

The only way they can get around this is doing what the Chiefs did by taking chances on guys like Hill/Kelce etc... and we know Janice isn't going to let this happen.

When this team finishes 6-10 and gets no extra draft picks or cap rollover/space the new regime will be screwed for the next 4-5 yrs. They sealed their fate today. Hope y'all enjoy lack of fruits of the Texans orgs labor. But hey, Cal/ DW4/JJ are going to get what they deserve for their stupidity. I really feel for the new GM/HC.

The only way they can get around this is doing what the Chiefs did by taking chances on guys like Hill/Kelce etc... and we know Janice isn't going to let this happen.
1604443606470.gif

Amazing you were all in on Bill O’Brien moves and trades. Now look at your comments. Stick to your original stance don’t crawfish and complain about things now.

Oh but of course since Watson got paid its all doom and gloom.

Last edited:
Amazing you were all in on Bill O’Brien moves and trades. Now look at your comments. Stick to your original stance don’t crawfish and complain about things now.

Oh but of course since Watson got paid and all doom and gloom.

I was in on the Tunsil trade and I still am.

I've said many times I would've held onto Nuk for atleast 1 more yr. The Duke trade I thought they overpaid but understood why the trade was made. What other trades are you thinking of?

And, yes DW4's contract along with today's lack of cap control (Trades) will doom this franchise for the next 5 yrs. Although after 5 yrs I dont expect you to admit it.

@Jacksonville
@Cleveland
New England
@ Detroit
Indianapolis
@ Chicago
@ Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Tennessee

Regardless of whether it’s possible or not, regardless how likely/unlikely it is to happen.

Would you be excited if the Texans finished 10-6 ?
To tell the honest truth, I don’t really know. I wasn’t excited when they went up 21-0 against the Chiefs in the playoffs. I guess I’ve been conditioned into believing the Texans will ultimately disappoint.

There’s a very high likelihood I’ll not watch much of the remaining season. A quarter here and there, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

There’s a very high likelihood I’ll not watch much of the remaining season. A quarter here and there, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

That's insane... the winning is about to start. No, I don't expect to win out. & beating Jacksonville this weekend shouldn't garner too much excitement.

But I'm all about the playoffs. I want to be watching football in January with some skin in the game.

& with the way the AFC is playing out, it is possible still we may have a seat & who knows what will happen then?

KC & Tennessee are probably the teams to beat & frankly we don't stand a punchers chance against them in the playoffs. But its going to be us or Miami, or us & the Raiders playing them. Why not us?

I know Pittsburgh & Buffalo look good too, but we don't have to play them all to advance in the playoffs.

Ok but what 4-5 years from now? Have you considered starting a thread to discuss that? Next thing you will be saying we need to fire OBrien! Ha. Like that will ever happen.

Ok but what 4-5 years from now? Have you considered starting a thread to discuss that? Next thing you will be saying we need to fire OBrien! Ha. Like that will ever happen.

I've never thought about starting a thread on this. Maybe Corrosion will he's got all of the cap info and knows the issues with what the Texans have been doing.

I seem to remember advocating the firing of BOB several times.

Remember 51-7

I understand. Just seems like some won’t be happy unless it all burns.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the situation we’re in & that’s not going to change regardless how many games we win or how many games we lose.

But if we can win a few games along the way...

I'm pretty sure you believe I'm one of those who won't be happy unless it all burns ....

I HATE to see this team lose.

But .... what message does winning a few games along the way send to Cal and Co?

If winning a few games gives them any belief that this is a good team .... that's probably the worst thing that can happen to us fans - they'll slap a couple band-aids on and mediocrity will be the ceiling .... again.

I want Lombardi's .... Not AFC South Champions Brian. We aint getting Lombardi's with band-aids.

Outside of Watson and the two OT's .... the rest of this roster sucks. The coordinators suck on both sides and the OL coach sucks worse than all of them.

I'm pretty sure you believe I'm one of those who won't be happy unless it all burns ....

But .... what message does winning a few games along the way send to Cal and Co?

If winning a few games gives them any belief that this is a good team .... that's probably the worst thing that can happen to us fans - they'll slap a couple band-aids on and mediocrity will be the ceiling .... again.

I want Lombardi's .... Not AFC South Champions Brian. We aint getting Lombardi's with band-aids.

Outside of Watson and the two OT's .... the rest of this roster sucks. The coordinators suck on both sides and the OL coach sucks worse than all of them.

Or maybe you're wrong, I'm wrong, majority of the fan base is wrong... this roster is better and closer than we think. That's at least what I'm hoping for. We've seen it numerous times in this league, a new coaching regime comes in and turns a team around faster than expected. That's what I'm hoping for.

I believe the draft & cap situation they've put themselves in is going to dictate what they're going to do going forward. Ain't no band-aid is going to fix this. They're will be deep cuts regardless what they perceive this team to be. jmo

Quoted for truth.

This is where I am.

Cal doesn't agree with us though.

It's going to be a long decade.

Or maybe you're wrong, I'm wrong, majority of the fan base is wrong... this roster is better and closer than we think. That's at least what I'm hoping for. We've seen it numerous times in this league, a new coaching regime comes in and turns a team around faster than expected. That's what I'm hoping for.

Calling Bill Parcells......calling Bill Parcels. This guy could scare mediocrity into substance in one off-season.

That's insane... the winning is about to start. No, I don't expect to win out. & beating Jacksonville this weekend shouldn't garner too much excitement.

But I'm all about the playoffs. I want to be watching football in January with some skin in the game.

& with the way the AFC is playing out, it is possible still we may have a seat & who knows what will happen then?

KC & Tennessee are probably the teams to beat & frankly we don't stand a punchers chance against them in the playoffs. But its going to be us or Miami, or us & the Raiders playing them. Why not us?

I know Pittsburgh & Buffalo look good too, but we don't have to play them all to advance in the playoffs.
I've just got more important (not to be confused with better or more entertaining) things to do on a Sunday. I've got a full semester (5 classes) and working more than I had anticipated. It's hell starting over in my 50's. But yeah, if I really thought the season would end on a magical note, I'd figure something out.

Back