Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

I see us taking maybe one of the next four, maybe two or three of the remaining six, which gives us about maybe (kinda sorta) five or six wins this year.

One totally biased thing I can say is that I have enjoyed the last 2 games more than any other game since the Bills in the playoffs last year (even if the defense is starting to seriously piss me off). Of course this is completely my subjective opinion.

Crennel has said that not staying in gaps has been a big problem in our play.

It may not be a popular subject to bring up, but I find it curious that while the gap issue is so obviously a problem, Watt is still allowed to free lance. That may have been OK when he was at his peak and it tended to benefit the team as much as it did him. But now with his limited ability to acutely change direction, it tends to benefit mostly himself. I and others years ago posted on the fact that when a Dlineman like Watt is allowed to freelance, others must reflexively anticipate and be able to compensate what he leaves open.............something that would be very difficult for a Dline and LB crew that have not consistently played together for a long time. That places a lot of stress on the entire D. Watt no doubt is the epitome of effort, but he has focused so much at making a line to the QB that he has allowed too many RBs to run right by him.

Crennel has said that not staying in gaps has been a big problem in our play.

It may not be a popular subject to bring up, but I find it curious that while the gap issue is so obviously a problem, Watt is still allowed to free lance. That may have been OK when he was at his peak and it tended to benefit the team as much as it did him. But now with his limited ability to acutely change direction, it tends to benefit mostly himself. I and others years ago posted on the fact that when a Dlineman like Watt is allowed to freelance, others must reflexively anticipate and be able to compensate what he leaves open.............something that would be very difficult for a Dline and LB crew that have not consistently played together for a long time. That places a lot of stress on the entire D. Watt no doubt is the epitome of effort, but he has focused so much at making a line to the QB that he has allowed too many RBs to run right by him.
I think a part of it is to try to justify JJ Watts salary this year. IIRC he has 2 sacks and 6 QB hurries.

Net points is always an interesting stat. For our division Tenn and Indy have a +35 and +42 respectively so far, which probably explains why they have actually won a few games. The Texans are a -51 net points so far in six games. Jacksonville is even worse at -66 thru six games.

We're bottom feeders this season, sharing the tub with the Jaggies. :lol:

Views on the Texans and trades

As long as Simple Jack is still in the building I’m guessing the Texans can’t face up to their mistakes and expedite the rebuild by trading out as much as possible this season. He was integral to the roster moves and his future career depends on making a success of them.

As long as Simple Jack is still in the building I’m guessing the Texans can’t face up to their mistakes and expedite the rebuild by trading out as much as possible this season. He was integral to the roster moves and his future career depends on making a success of them.

I think Cal is more to blame than anyone else.

If you recall his statements a couple weeks ago "put the band back together" , "have fun" , "run around" .... "we're a good team".

He thinks these players are better than they have performed thus far and that a rebuild is not necessary .... Just a few tweaks and everything's peachy again.

That's far from the truth - This team sucks , these players aren't very good. They are in cap hell and the harsh reality is that a total rebuild is required , unless mediocrity is acceptable.

Every game they lose is another indictment against the talent of this roster. I'd rather not give any credibility to Cal's previous thoughts , if that takes going 1-15 .... So be it.

I don't want "Run it back with a new coach" to be an option.

I think Cal is more to blame than anyone else.

If you recall his statements a couple weeks ago "put the band back together" , "have fun" , "run around" .... "we're a good team".

He thinks these players are better than they have performed thus far and that a rebuild is not necessary .... Just a few tweaks and everything's peachy again.

That's far from the truth - This team sucks , these players aren't very good. They are in cap hell and the harsh reality is that a total rebuild is required , unless mediocrity is acceptable.

Every game they lose is another indictment against the talent of this roster. I'd rather not give any credibility to Cal's previous thoughts , if that takes going 1-15 .... So be it.

I don't want "Run it back with a new coach" to be an option.

Cal said a whole lotta' nothing with all those words and softball questions on the Texans flagship station. (How nice to be able to control your own propaganda!)

He lacks the leadership and vision to run a championship-caliber NFL team.

There is absolutely nothing bold about him, and hiding behind Easterby and his platitude nonsense tells me a lot about Cal as a business owner.

He might be a nice guy, but as far as a public figure, he's a chump. This will be a cellar-dweller franchise for years under his ownership.

Views on the Texans and trades

I never thought of a late round one for Fells but SOLD!

It's kind of funny. For years, we said Kareem Jackson would be a better safety than cornerback and they never moved him until late in his career here. Now they draft a CB and immediately move him to safety. Go figure.

So far L.Jo hasn't impressed me at S. Hopefully this is a learning experience for him and he can help cover the TE. If he can they need to find some LB's with speed/abilty to cover and the defense will look alot better.

According to Yahoo sports, a Texans player has tested positive for the RONA and facilities have closed.
@CloakNNNdagger may have more
Late last night, one of our players tested positive [the original tests (rapid test followed by the 24 hour confirmatory test) was performed Monday morning]. He was immediately quarantined. Contact tracing has begun. The NRG facilities were immediately closed down for cleaning. Without further difficulties, the facilities could be opened as soon as tomorrow.

It's kind of funny. For years, we said Kareem Jackson would be a better safety than cornerback and they never moved him until late in his career here. Now they draft a CB and immediately move him to safety. Go figure.

I THINK WE ALL REMEMBER WATCHING KJax not being able to play with his back to the ball literally from his first game. KJax proved he was a far superior S and I wonder how many Pro Bowls he missed due to him being played out of his natural position.

Also worth mentioning.....how many years the did team ignore drafting a top CB b/c they kept KJax at the position?

How many times did this team (RC) screw the pooch by drafting defensive players and playing them out of position? Both Mercilus and Clowney were natural DE's who came to the Texans and were forced to become OLB's.

How many times have the Texans drafted TE's and everyone knew their natural position was bench rider or potentially ST's member?

I think they need to emphasize the basics, such as tackling, and this defense will look a lot better.
It's not about just physically making the tackle though. Not being in position to make a tackle is a big issue. Running out of their gaps for no apparent reason, taking bad angles, etc. Sometimes they look like they have no clue where the football is. That's more than just putting a shoulder into someone and wrapping up. If that's what you mean by the basics though, then yeah, that would help tremendously. But they haven't been that for a while now. I don't know how you flip the switch on that all of a sudden.

Back