Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Watson went 3-3 during his stretch as the starter and set a few rookie records along the way. Without Watson in 2017, the Texans may have achieved a solid 1-15 record. Would that have been enough to dislodge OB from the Texans? Continuing this train of thought OB wouldn't have had Watson in 2018 or 2019 as well.....so with OB's offense and the defense in the gutter, care to speculate as to what OB and the Texans record(s) might've been?

If no Watson, who would they have had in 2017? If they went 1-15, history says they would have fired OB so it would have been a new regime in 2018 with a first and second high draft pick. That's a rabbit hole it's useless to go down

If no Watson, who would they have had in 2017? If they went 1-15, history says they would have fired OB so it would have been a new regime in 2018 with a first and second high draft pick. That's a rabbit hole it's useless to go down
If we finished 1-15 in 2017 we probably would have ended up with Baker Mayfield or Sam Darnold in the 2018 draft, and this would create an entirely different story. Pretty hard to speculate where we would be now if that had happened.

No worries.....I was never a fan of Kubiak's either. With the Texans he appeared very inflexible and maintained his gameplan regardless of the results. I always liked Kubiak, the individual but his way wasn't going to win the Texans a Super Bowl. He got his Super Bowl in Denver b/c Manning was running the offense and Kubiak was in the passenger seat enjoying the ride. It was obvious Manning had the authority to audible out of any play he didn't think was the right call. No QB in Houston had that freedom under Kubiak.

Watson has kept OB's job more than OB has managed to successfully keep his job. If there was no Watson....OB might've coached himself out of Houston in 2017. Just imagine if OB had no one behind Savage (who I was for starting in 2017) that season.....any guesses as to what their record might've looked like?

Watson went 3-3 during his stretch as the starter and set a few rookie records along the way. Without Watson in 2017, the Texans may have achieved a solid 1-15 record. Would that have been enough to dislodge OB from the Texans? Continuing this train of thought OB wouldn't have had Watson in 2018 or 2019 as well.....so with OB's offense and the defense in the gutter, care to speculate as to what OB and the Texans record(s) might've been?

In all fairness, Koobs had a shell of a player in Manning who at times was a detriment, and then made the world believe that Brock Osweiler was a franchise QB when Manning was hurt. That was a hell of a coaching effort to go along with stellar defensive play to win that championship in 2015. His time HERE was mired in too much loyalty and the inability to choose career over relationships - if he had a little of OBriens cut-throat personality it would have served him well.

Texans Talk

As well as maybe Tre'Davious White or TJ Watt in the 2017 draft
It makes me wonder if we took White or Watt first overall, if we would have went with a QB later in the draft, and took a guy like Beathard or Webb, and how long we would have stuck with them, and if we would have tried to acquire a free agent QB to mentor them. If that happened, we may not have even took a QB in the 2018 draft. Had we not taken Watson, there are way too many possibilities on what could have happened.

No worries.....I was never a fan of Kubiak's either. With the Texans he appeared very inflexible and maintained his gameplan regardless of the results. I always liked Kubiak, the individual but his way wasn't going to win the Texans a Super Bowl. He got his Super Bowl in Denver b/c Manning was running the offense and Kubiak was in the passenger seat enjoying the ride. It was obvious Manning had the authority to audible out of any play he didn't think was the right call. No QB in Houston had that freedom under Kubiak.

Watson has kept OB's job more than OB has managed to successfully keep his job. If there was no Watson....OB might've coached himself out of Houston in 2017. Just imagine if OB had no one behind Savage (who I was for starting in 2017) that season.....any guesses as to what their record might've looked like?

Please respond by PM

I would love to respond to this post, please pm me.

The Titans doubled down on what got them to the AFC championship game and that's running the ball down the oppositions throat …. Henry is as good as they come and they picked one of the best backs in the draft in round 3 to compliment him - they also have a really strong OL.

The Colts split with the Texans last season with Jacoby Brissett at QB - they got better with Rivers. They also had a top 7 rushing offense last season and drafted one of the top RB's in this draft ….. They also have a quality OL.

The Texans …. let their defensive anchor walk in free agency. Dumped their best offensive player for an overpaid RB who hasn't been productive in 2 years then traded for his supposed replacement on another expensive contract that has injury issues.
They didn't improve in any of those moves. They didn't replace their defensive anchor in Reader in a division of run heavy teams. Even the Jags with Leonard Fournette ….
Their secondary couldn't cover a baby with a blanket …. and we haven't even begun to address the issue of O'Brien the head coach or his poor offensive scheme.

The Tits win the AFC south this year and the Colts wont be far behind while the Texans and Jax fight for last.

This team will be lucky to win 6 games this year - sending Miami a top 10 pick in round 1 & 2.

Here is the frustration over the last few years, the most consistent team in the AFC South has been our mediocre Houston Texans. This team has the best record in our division even as others seem to get better. Will this be the year that another team overtakes them? Could be, but I'm not sold on Rivers as he is a turnover machine and he had talent on the Chargers but they always seem to underachieve. The Titans are looking solid and their coach knows this team but I'm not sold on Tannehill yet. He was solid as a game manager but lets see if he can maintain that level of play. Henry is a powerful back who needs carries to be effective, can the Titans play from behind? The Jags well they are the Jags...On Watson alone, I think we have this division for now. Reader was a loss, but his play didn't have the effect most think. The defense was still in the bottom half against the run and the up the middle pass rush was also lacking, so why overpay for a "current" player who isn't a difference maker? Each year is a new one for every squad and honestly, I'm not concerned about the others if The Texans play the way they should. Division championships get stale when there is no postseason success, but winning the division is the only way that guarantees you a spot in the playoffs.

The Titans doubled down on what got them to the AFC championship game and that's running the ball down the oppositions throat …. Henry is as good as they come and they picked one of the best backs in the draft in round 3 to compliment him - they also have a really strong OL.

The Colts split with the Texans last season with Jacoby Brissett at QB - they got better with Rivers. They also had a top 7 rushing offense last season and drafted one of the top RB's in this draft ….. They also have a quality OL.

The Texans …. let their defensive anchor walk in free agency. Dumped their best offensive player for an overpaid RB who hasn't been productive in 2 years then traded for his supposed replacement on another expensive contract that has injury issues.
They didn't improve in any of those moves. They didn't replace their defensive anchor in Reader in a division of run heavy teams. Even the Jags with Leonard Fournette ….
Their secondary couldn't cover a baby with a blanket …. and we haven't even begun to address the issue of O'Brien the head coach or his poor offensive scheme.

The Tits win the AFC south this year and the Colts wont be far behind while the Texans and Jax fight for last.

This team will be lucky to win 6 games this year - sending Miami a top 10 pick in round 1 & 2.

I'm not as optimistic on the Titans as you are. I think Derek Henry will holdout, as he should. His value will never be as high as it is right now, and RBs only get one chance to sign a big contract. He's a HUGE fan favorite right now in Tennessee, so there will be alot of pressure to extend him. Combine that with having over 300 carries, I would be surprised if he does as well as he did last season. In addition, teams will adjust to what the Titans are doing. The emergence of Tannehill & AJ Brown caught everyone by surprise. I think teams will be better prepared to stop them. You have to ask yourself, "Do you really trust Ryan Tannehill?"

The Colts scare me the most. Rivers was awful last season, but I think that Chargers OL was terrible. With the Colts' good pass-pro, will the good Rivers return? I don't think Pro Bowl Rivers returns, but I think he'll be better than Brissett. They are my early picks to win the AFC South.

I have the Texans as a close second. We are relying ALOT on a rookie playcaller and a rookie DC. We have no idea what to expect from these two guys. As much as I hate BOB, he finds ways to win. I think we'll continue to win games next season, and will be close to winning the division.

I'm expecting regression for the Titans. I already gave my reasoning earlier.

Of course, Jags are rebuilding. Minshew mania will die and they'll be looking to draft a QB in 2021.

Just read an article that says on of the quirks to the schedule this year will be all NFC - AFC matchups for the first four weeks. In case the season needs to be pushed back and those games need to be cancelled. I got it on a Yahoo Sports alert. The source was John Clayton from ESPN.

If that's true then no trip to KC to open the season. It will be either the Panthers or Falcons to go to KC to open. The Texans would get the NFC North out of the way. Get road trips to Chicago and Detroit out of the way early.

Just read an article that says on of the quirks to the schedule this year will be all NFC - AFC matchups for the first four weeks. In case the season needs to be pushed back and those games need to be cancelled. I got it on a Yahoo Sports alert. The source was John Clayton from ESPN.

If that's true then no trip to KC to open the season. It will be either the Panthers or Falcons to go to KC to open. The Texans would get the NFC North out of the way. Get road trips to Chicago and Detroit out of the way early.

My boy posted this on Facebook messenger last night I believe.

The more reality sets in, the more I realize how much of a crappy season this is going to be for fans. The false senses of hope of early predictions for when sporting events will resume with fans are becoming old. I’m not sure how y’all feel about it, but there’s no way 80,000+ people will be sitting in stadiums by September. I think this entire season may be a write off for fans with games being played in empty stadiums.

The more reality sets in, the more I realize how much of a crappy season this is going to be for fans. The false senses of hope of early predictions for when sporting events will resume with fans are becoming old. I’m not sure how y’all feel about it, but there’s no way 80,000+ people will be sitting in stadiums by September. I think this entire season may be a write off for fans with games being played in empty stadiums.

Similar to restaurants today, I wonder if they have plans to open stadiums to fans w/ only 25% capacity?

In either case, I'd rather watch football in empty stadiums than no football at all.

anyone besides me interested in offensive guard Larry Warford? 29, three straight pro bowls. 73 off and cut today by Saints. $7 m cap savings and drafted OG.

Rumor on Facebook is that the Texans have shown interest. However you know how rumors go.

EDIT: I found a link discussing this prospect.

How do you see it taking care of itself, injury cut? If so, I wished we had taken my guy AJ Epenesa rather than Blacklock.
From a previous post in the Blacklock thread:

With his history of core and lower extremity injuries, I have my real doubts about Watt's performance this season, and his ability to even make it through the season. Keeping him mostly on the outside, allows him to encounter the least amount of resistance/trauma. Putting him inside will continually stress his core and lower extremities to the limits and give him a greater short cut to Hollywood than he already has.

Obvious thought of the day...

What else would or could you (and I) possibly waste your/our time delving into if it were not for the pesky contemplation or speculation of The Texans and regarding within therein what were, what could be, and not limited to or upon the broad spectrum of either and both?

Where's the drunk thread?

What else would or could you (and I) possibly waste your/our time delving into if it were not for the pesky contemplation or speculation of The Texans and regarding within therein what were, what could be, and not limited to or upon the broad spectrum of either and both?

Occasionally there’s sprinkles of drunkenness in every thread.

So points per quarter for the Texans in 2019..
1st Q = 3.8 points (21st in league)
Would explain the slow starts.

2nd Q = 6.6 points (15th in league)
Good solid quarter before the half.

3rd Q = 5.9 points (10th in league)
Another solid quarter.

4th Q = 7.5 points (5th in league)
Frantic comebacks? Garbage time points? Or good solid finishes. I remember OB's record is pretty damn good when leading at the half.

Thought this might dust up some solid conversation.

I've got plenty to do , normally I make something …. furniture , art ….

Here's a lamp I recently finished , Oak and Brazilian Cherry -

image0.png

Doesn’t explain it as much as demonstrates.

I remember before the season we were concerned about the 2019 schedule because of the offenses we were going to face.

The defenses we faced weren’t too bad either. The Patriots had the #1 defense in the league. & we managed to score over the average they allowed (by a few points).

That was a very good game for our offense. Watson read the defense well, adjusted & adapted. He spread the ball around pretty well too, getting Duke involved quite a bit as well.

The average rank of the defenses we played last year, I think was 23. In 2020 that jumps to 18.

2nd Q = 6.6 points (15th in league)
Good solid quarter before the half.

3rd Q = 5.9 points (10th in league)
Another solid quarter.

4th Q = 7.5 points (5th in league)
Frantic comebacks? Garbage time points? Or good solid finishes. I remember OB's record is pretty damn good when leading at the half.

Thought this might dust up some solid conversation.

That is one TD each quarter............That does not excite me.

That is one TD each quarter............That does not excite me.
In 2019 we averaged 5.9 points per quarter, and our opponents scored 6.0 points per quarter on us. This was one of our biggest problems last year, how we managed a 10-6 record, yet we were outscored by our opponents. Any team finishing 10-6 should be outscoring their opponents by at least a +30 on the year. We ended up 378-385 (-7).

In 2019 we averaged 5.9 points per quarter, and our opponents scored 6.0 points per quarter on us. This was one of our biggest problems last year, how we managed a 10-6 record, yet we were outscored by our opponents. Any team finishing 10-6 should be outscoring their opponents by at least a +30 on the year. We ended up 378-385 (-7).
When you break down the scoring last season we have:

8 Games decided by 6 points or less
3 Games decided by 7 points

Won 2 Games by more than 7 points
Lost 3 Games by more than 7 points

Most people say a 1 score game is basically a coin flip. When you look at it the Texans were basically a 500 team who got lucky at times & other times they were saved by Watson's off script heroics.

One bright spot is that for the first time under Billy O they did not have a losing record against above 500 teams. They were 3-3 in 2019.

When you break down the scoring last season we have:

Most people say a 1 score game is basically a coin flip. When you look at it the Texans were basically a 500 team who got lucky at times & other times they were saved by Watson's off script heroics.

One bright spot is that for the first time under Billy O they did not have a losing record against above 500 teams. They were 3-3 in 2019.
This is 100 percent truth. I have been saying this all along. I challenge anyone to find the last time a team finished 10-6, and had more points scored against them than points for (we were outscored last season 378-385). A 10-6 record is definitely misleading when your opponents outscore you over the season.

The 34 point loss to the Ravens does skew things but still when you have 8 one score wins in one season it is a matter for concern.

It shows up in the playoffs where you are consistently playing better teams. We played the Bills pretty much how we played all season. We won by 3 points & it took overtime to do it.

Back