Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

"Winning" is a debatable term here. We are winning with mediocrity. We are above average winning.
Ever hear of the term Jaded?

This constant flirting with wild card games and losing divisional round games is not cutting it anymore.
I guess you have.

I'm not saying I'm happy with where we're at. But watching a 16 game season & my team winning more of them than losing... yeah, that's entertaining.

Now, they need to do something in the post season.

3 other teams in the AFCS and most of the teams in the NFL would give most everything to have the Texans record since 2014
That's a tough one. Those 3 AFCSouth teams have recently been in the conference finals. Would I trade that for three div titles in four years.

:thinking:

That's a tough one. Those 3 AFCSouth teams have recently been in the conference finals. Would I trade that for three div titles in four years.

:thinking:
Yeah. Cuz they’ve shown that they can go further than us. Remaining on par for several years with no signs of improvement is nothing to be optimistic about.

Yeah. Cuz they’ve shown that they can go further than us. Remaining on par for several years with no signs of improvement is nothing to be optimistic about.
So this is one of the things I'm looking at. How do we measure improvement? For me, beating NE in a regular season game that counts is improvement.

Yeah, I know NE had issues. But every year we've played them they had issues & they beat us, except that meaningless game we won way back when.

Then, not only did we beat them, but we beat them on the road.

Another thing. When was the last time we didn't have a three game losing streak?

Did we even lose back to back games this season?

Small things that barely get noticed, but I think they mean a lot more than prolific stats. Don't get me wrong, I like stats & think they will come. But hopefully they'll come on top of a real foundation that was never there.

So this is one of the things I'm looking at. How do we measure improvement? For me, beating NE in a regular season game that counts is improvement.

Yeah, I know NE had issues. But every year we've played them they had issues & they beat us, except that meaningless game we won way back when.

Then, not only did we beat them, but we beat them on the road.

Another thing. When was the last time we didn't have a three game losing streak?

Did we even lose back to back games this season?

Small things that barely get noticed, but I think they mean a lot more than prolific stats. Don't get me wrong, I like stats & think they will come. But hopefully they'll come on top of a real foundation that was never there.
For me, an improvement would be winning a divisional playoff game, or being considered the favourite. We’ve lost both divisional games and both times come in as the huge underdog and lose as expected. A conference final appearance would be a huge building block. I want teams to consider us a championship contender and not a team that just squeaked into the playoffs by a thread.

For me, an improvement would be winning a divisional playoff game, or being considered the favourite. We’ve lost both divisional games and both times come in as the huge underdog and lose as expected. A conference final appearance would be a huge building block. I want teams to consider us a championship contender and not a team that just squeaked into the playoffs by a thread.
If I saw that, yes I would consider that an improvement.

I've said many times I expect the Laremy Tunsil/Kenny Stills trade to payoff with a chance to win the AFCCG last season or the upcoming season.

But to put this conversation in the frame we were talking. Maybe we're on a slow steady climb to the Super Bowl, where the other three teams are taking wild shots at it. Yeah, they've gotten closer, but so far they've been falling back a lot farther as well. At least so far.

We won at NE and KC, and beat the Titans when everything was on the line for the regular season. They beat a good Bills team in the playoffs. They did not have a history of beating good teams in the regular season, so I saw that as progress, but man they got smoked when KC woke up. I am a bit like TK, they needed to do something different to get over the hump, Kelly may give us more variety and schemes on offense, while with Nuk gone the ball will be spread across more weapons. It could work. Staying pat like the Titans mainly did would not have closed any gaps. I see lots of problems but can support changing to get over the hump. If it fails, burn it all down and start over.

TK has been here longer than you …. and has always been sunshine and rainbow optimist …. He's the guy who after 6 seasons of suck expects OB to suddenly figure it all out.

Can you beat that type of optimism ?!

They've sucked for the last 6 yrs?

If that's the case they've sucked since their inception. Because BOB has taken this team as far as any HC has.

Nothing this franchise has done the last few years makes much sense to me …. aside from drafting Watson of course - that was a real no brainer as they had to take a QB at that point.

Its almost as if OB is doing his best to help Watson fail ….. I know there's a lot of what if's and second guessing but eventually even a blind squirrel finds a nut …. but OB has been a complete and total failure from play calling to game management , time outs , challenges to trades and roster management and contract negotiations.

When OB showed up , we had a pretty solid roster missing a QB , now the script has flipped , we have a pretty solid QB without a whole lot of talent around him , what talent there is , is beyond its peak and no assets / draft capital to show for it.

I really think last year was their "All In" year and they came up short.

No early draft picks next season , paying Tunsil and Watson a combined ~$40m in 2021 and that gets worse when (If) they extend Watson ….. and a bunch of aging players around them , its not likely they improve the team in the near future.

IF this team isn't able to make it to at least the AFC-CG , my hope is that they dump OB and start from scratch - trade everything of value for premium draft picks , hire a competent GM with a history of quality drafting …. along with a new HC.

The drafting of DW4 ensured yrs of mediocrity regardless of who the HC is.

I'm all for burning it to the ground and cleaning house.

If that's the case they've sucked since their inception. Because BOB has taken this team as far as any HC has.

Sucked may be a strong word but they definitely haven't been able to beat the better competition when it matters and they have lost quite a few games to teams they should beat - three losses to sub .500 teams last year alone.

Does OB get the most out of the available talent ? I don't think so. That offense was offensive more often than not and the defense couldn't cover a baby with a blanket when it counted.

51-7

Sucked may be a strong word but they definitely haven't been able to beat the better competition when it matters and they have lost quite a few games to teams they should beat - three losses to sub .500 teams last year alone.

Does OB get the most out of the available talent ? I don't think so. That offense was offensive more often than not and the defense couldn't cover a baby with a blanket when it counted.

51-7

Regardless of who the HC is this has been a Texans tradition. Remember the 12-4 season and the Pats/Vikings games as one example.

I would agree with you about 51-7.

I've seen ob with other QBs in the nfl and I know without doubt what he is (mediocre.) I haven't seen Watson with other nfl hc's.

You will find out soon enough.

Which NFL (I use that term very loosely.) Has BOB worked with? Have they gotten better under BOB? I would say Fitz/Hoyer did.

Which NFL (I use that term very loosely.) Has BOB worked with? Have they gotten better under BOB? I would say Fitz/Hoyer did.

Not soon enough for me. He shouldve been canned a couple of years ago. In the meantime he's given away Hopkins and Clowney for peanuts due to personal grudges.

Whatever edge or advantage this team had on the AFC south feels lost this offseason.

Fitzpatrick definitely became a better QB after his time here other than his one horrible season in NY which wasn’t really his fault. Gotta have love for Fitzy. 8 teams in his career and keeps smiling.

Yet the Texans are the only team in their division that hasn't reached that AFC-GC since 2014.

They flirt with just better than mediocrity ….

The last Oilers / Texans team to reach an AFCCG was the 1979 Oilers. That's 40 years of hope with the teams that were good enough to win a SB but something always went wrong. The Texans probably had 1 team good enough to win a SB but couldn't even get to the AFCCG. Pathetic, sad and indicative of how poorly the team(s) has been managed and coached.

Last edited:
The last Oilers / Texans team to reach an AFCCG was the 1979 Oilers. That's 40 years of hope with the teams that were good enough to win a SB but something always went wrong. The Texans probably had 1 team good enough to win a SB but couldn't even get to the AFCCG. Pathetic, sad and indicative of how poorly the team has been managed and coached.

The Oilers went 11-5 the next year (1980) but lost to the Raiders in the wildcard game (think it was the Raiders ?) …. and Bum got fired.

11-5 and the HC gets canned …. Now days it takes a 2-14 disaster to get a coach fired in Houston.

I think you should be praising Watson for saving OB's arse since his arrival b/c everyone knows the Texans defenses were marginal at best, the OL's among the worst in the NFL and offensive skill position players who were hurt more than they played.

I just don't understand all your vile hate towards Watson based on a 5 game stretch last season when it was apparent the OL was shite after injuries and a lack of talented depth, the running game that fell apart after Hyde wore down late and a lack of talented depth, of course the WR's had a chance to be great but injuries and a lack of depth derailed their impact late in the season, TE's were used primarily as additional OL due to a piss-poor OL, and last but not least, operating in the most predictable offense in the NFL might have had an impact on Watson's last 5 games.....including the lingering injuries he played with.

As for the 51-7 debacle......51 points were given up by OB, ST's and the defense. I never remember Watson heading onto the field with the ST unit or lining up on defense. OB didn't have the balls to crush the Chiefs when he had the chance, he went into protect the lead mode as do most HC's on the end of losing the biggest leads in NFL playoff history. They're not coaching to win the game....they're coaching not to lose the game. Just like a good old fashion prevent defense. If the Texans had somehow gone into halftime up 31-0, 27-0, 31-7, 27-3, etc.....OB would've had Watson trying to manage the game through a predictable two run and a pass play pedicated on 3rd down being less the 6 yards, otherwise it would be a safe run up the gut and trot the defense back onto the field to protect the lead. It's the way it was and will always be with OB as HC.

Last edited:
The Texans probably had 1 team good enough to win a SB but couldn't even get to the AFCCG. Pathetic, sad and indicative of how poorly the team(s) has been managed and coached.
Something happened to that team the last four games. Finishing 1-3 and missing the 1 seed. It just looked like the team was satisfied to be that good for those 12 games that it didn't care what happened after.

Something happened to that team the last four games. Finishing 1-3 and missing the 1 seed. It just looked like the team was satisfied to be that good for those 12 games that it didn't care what happened after.

They were a different team with Yates. The 2011 team was better

Yates di
They were a different team with Yates. The 2011 team was better
Yates didn't play in 2012. That team got spanked by the Pats, barely beat the Colts, then got pummeled by the Vikings, and the Colts to finish the season. I thought that was the best chance to win the Superb Owl because they should have had the 1 seed that year. Those last 4 games were duds.

Yates di

Yates didn't play in 2012. That team got spanked by the Pats, barely beat the Colts, then got pummeled by the Vikings, and the Colts to finish the season. I thought that was the best chance to win the Superb Owl because they should have had the 1 seed that year. Those last 4 games were duds.
Yeah I had my years mixed up, Yates played the final 4 of 2011. I still think 2011 was the better team. Schaub collapsed in 2012

I think you should be praising Watson for saving OB's arse since his arrival b/c everyone knows the Texans defenses were marginal at best, the OL's among the worst in the NFL and offensive skill position players who were hurt more than they played.

I just don't understand all your vile hate towards Watson based on a 5 game stretch last season when it was apparent the OL was shite after injuries and a lack of talented depth, the running game that fell apart after Hyde wore down late and a lack of talented depth, of course the WR's had a chance to be great but injuries and a lack of depth derailed their impact late in the season, TE's were used primarily as additional OL due to a piss-poor OL, and last but not least, operating in the most predictable offense in the NFL might have had an impact on Watson's last 5 games.....including the lingering injuries he played with.

As for the 51-7 debacle......51 points were given up by OB, ST's and the defense. I never remember Watson heading onto the field with the ST unit or lining up on defense. OB didn't have the balls to crush the Chiefs when he had the chance, he went into protect the lead mode as do most HC's on the end of losing the biggest leads in NFL playoff history. They're not coaching to win the game....they're coaching not to lose the game. Just like a good old fashion prevent defense. If the Texans had somehow gone into halftime up 31-0, 27-0, 31-7, 27-3, etc.....OB would've had Watson trying to manage the game through a predictable two run and a pass play pedicated on 3rd down being less the 6 yards, otherwise it would be a safe run up the gut and trot the defense back onto the field to protect the lead. It's the way it was and will always be with OB as HC.

I dont have vile hate for DW4,

He a middle of the pack QB, that some posters make excuses for.

Fitzpatrick definitely became a better QB after his time here other than his one horrible season in NY which wasn’t really his fault. Gotta have love for Fitzy. 8 teams in his career and keeps smiling.
I really wanted to see him take Miami to the playoffs.

51-7
The defense couldn't cover a shart even if they were wearing depends undergarments.

New Texans' assigned numbers:
  • Nick Tiano, 8
  • Brandin Cooks 13
  • Randall Cobb 18
  • Eric Murray 23
  • Jaylen Watkins 27
  • Michael Thomas 28
  • David Johnson 31
  • John Reid 34
  • Scottie Phillips 40
  • Jamir Jones 47
  • Jonathan Greenard 52
  • Jan Johnson 56
  • Charlie Heck 67
  • Cordel Iwuagwu 70
  • Brent Qvale 76
  • Elex Woodworth 77
  • Isaiah Coulter 82
  • Dylan Stapleton 84
  • Tyler Simmons 86
  • Ross Blacklock 90
  • Auzoyah Alufohai 98

This is the reason why I think it’s very important for a team like this to finish strong. Many on here didn’t understand or wasn’t trying to understand what I was saying back then. Austin this team doesn’t have the mental makeup for time off. Not the coach apparently and it’s troops. Steel continues to say the last five games Watson didn’t perform well. True statement but the entire team didn’t perform well. Coaching didn’t perform well or put together a great game plan. So why would you take a vacation on the last game of the season? Like you just stated, they were satisfied with the norm. Which is mediocre at it’s finest. Bump greatness.

New Texans' assigned numbers:
  • Nick Tiano, 8
  • Brandin Cooks 13
  • Randall Cobb 18
  • Eric Murray 23
  • Jaylen Watkins 27
  • Michael Thomas 28
  • David Johnson 31
  • John Reid 34
  • Scottie Phillips 40
  • Jamir Jones 47
  • Jonathan Greenard 52
  • Jan Johnson 56
  • Charlie Heck 67
  • Cordel Iwuagwu 70
  • Brent Qvale 76
  • Elex Woodworth 77
  • Isaiah Coulter 82
  • Dylan Stapleton 84
  • Tyler Simmons 86
  • Ross Blacklock 90
  • Auzoyah Alufohai 98

I wonder who is going to wear # 10

This is the reason why I think it’s very important for a team like this to finish strong. Many on here didn’t understand or wasn’t trying to understand what I was saying back then. Austin this team doesn’t have the mental makeup for time off. Not the coach apparently and it’s troops. Steel continues to say the last five games Watson didn’t perform well. True statement but the entire team didn’t perform well. Coaching didn’t perform well or put together a great game plan. So why would you take a vacation on the last game of the season? Like you just stated, they were satisfied with the norm. Which is mediocre at it’s finest. Bump greatness.

What was the teams record despite Watson's subpar play?

The best example of a reason to sit your guys is Gipson.

I wonder what your thoughts about O'Brien's decision if he let Watson play against the Titans and he blew his knee out. I bet you would say how incompetent O'Brien is and that he should be fired for making such stupid decisions.

It happened before when Savage got a concussion in a meaningless last game and had to sit out the playoffs. Of course I think Os playing in the playoffs was a directive from ownership/RS. One things for sure regardless of performance if you're getting paid by the McNair's you're going to play.

What was the teams record despite Watson's subpar play?

The best example of a reason to sit your guys is Gipson.

I wonder what your thoughts about O'Brien's decision if he let Watson play against the Titans and he blew his knee out. I bet you would say how incompetent O'Brien is and that he should be fired for making such stupid decisions.

It happened before when Savage got a concussion in a meaningless last game and had to sit out the playoffs. Of course I think Os playing in the playoffs was a directive from ownership/RS. One things for sure regardless of performance if you're getting paid by the McNair's you're going to play.

It’s football. It didn’t stop the Eagles from winning the Super Bowl when their started got hurt. We the fans always tend to use that excuse. That’s why you make sure your backup/ next man up is ready to go. Another example is the Eagles last season when their main receivers went down with injuries.

But back to my point, you can’t be scared. And that game was not meaningless to the Titans. As you can see they played all of their starters. We gave them new life and the went further than us knocking off two powerhouses ( Patriots and Ravens) in the process.

It’s football. It didn’t stop the Eagles from winning the Super Bowl when their started got hurt. We the fans always tend to use that excuse. That’s why you make sure your backup/ next man up is ready to go. Another example is the Eagles last season when their main receivers went down with injuries.

But back to my point, you can’t be scared. And that game was not meaningless to the Titans. As you can see they played all of their starters. We gave them new life and the went further than us knocking off two powerhouses ( Patriots and Ravens) in the process.

You didn't answer the question, if Watson had blown out his ACL again would you have blamed BOB?

I think we both know your answer.

There's no need to carry on the BS conversation. Because anything you probably will say after this is either you convincing yourself you aren't lying. Or you're just talking out your bunghole.

You didn't answer the question, if Watson had blown out his ACL again would you have blamed BOB?

I think we both know your answer.

There's no need to carry on the BS conversation. Because anything you probably will say after this is either you convincing yourself you aren't lying. Or you're just talking out your bunghole.

You play to win the game. Especially when you do not have an experience team. They didn’t deserve the time off.

Back