Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

LMAO, talking about possible upgrades in the future is in no way premature. Is talking about Watt's possible retirement way to premature? There was athread started about it. Maybe you should wander over there and let your thoughts be known in that thread too.
I do not think its the same thing at all. JJ Watt is a CURRENT Texan. Discussing his future is relevant as he is injury prone and currently on our team. Discussing Aaron Rodgers who is on a different team, has no ties to Houston, and nothing else relating to the Texans is way different.

I can see short contracts like this getting more popular with players and teams alike for the reasons you state. Gives the player a chance to get back into the FA market while still young, and allows the team an easy out if they don't live up to their potential.

In the past the final two or three years of a contract was simply to spread out signing bonus money. Most players didn't expect to play out the end of the contract & most teams didn't hold the players to them.

Recently teams have been trying to strong arm players to play the final contract years, & that's changed the whole dynamic.

Alex Smith would be a good comparison.

McNabb would be a better comparison.

So you're saying Watson is not better or worse than Alex Smith & would do no better or worse under Andy Reid?

I don't have a problem with the comparison to McNabb. He was special. Plus QB, exceptional athlete. Could've won a Super Bowl with Ried, but didn't.

Lmbo. No way I'm bringing Rodgers here and getting rid of Watson. Rodgers along with Brady, Big Ben, and Breeze needs to retire soon. So why would anyone suggest trading Watson for Rodgers.

Man the hate is real around these parts.
This tends to be a trend in most sports communities. During off seasons people throw out the most unrealistic, illogical ideas just to entertain themselves.

Talking about any QB coming here is far too premature, in fact it's 5 yrs too premature. The Texans are stuck in a bad situation for the next 5 yrs. A QB that's good enough to win games against avg defenses but not championships.
It would take a three way, prearranged deal, where the Texans would swap DW4 for Rodgers and Green Bay would then send Watson to the third involved team for draft picks/player. Very complicated and hard to pull off. I think I recall something like this maybe 30 or 40 years ago.

So you're saying Watson is not better or worse than Alex Smith & would do no better or worse under Andy Reid?

I don't have a problem with the comparison to McNabb. He was special. Plus QB, exceptional athlete. Could've won a Super Bowl with Ried, but didn't.

As of right now I would take a healthy Alex Smith over DW4. But they're comparable in that Alex isn't as physically gifted as DW4, but he can read defenses and gets rid of the ball quickly.

McNabb & Rodgers have been to the same exact number of Super Bowls... One.

But with the praise Reid gets around these parts he should've not only gone to more SB's but won at least 1 instead of puking on T.O.'s shoes.

Rodgers not going to more than 1 SB is more of an indictment on the Packers GM's. Ted Thompson was a cheapa$$ and did you see their new GM's draft? LMAO. Draft Rodgers replacement in the 1st rd and dont get Rodgers the obvious WR help he needs to be successful at any point in the draft. SMH

BTW, Rodgers has completed 1 pass to a WR that was picked in the 1st rd in his ENTIRE career. That speaks volumes as to how good Rodgers really is.

This tends to be a trend in most sports communities. During off seasons people throw out the most unrealistic, illogical ideas just to entertain themselves.

Trust me I know, I’ve been around a lot other teams forums and they spew their hate just like a lot members on here. They consistently toss around their flawed agendas hoping to get a certain reaction. Now look around here , it went from Watson too S to run a NFL offense, to he cannot compete against top NFL defense, to he doesn’t throw with anticipation and accuracy to currently the state of the conversation going now. Basically saying the Texans are in a hole not because of the HC/GM but because of Watson.

Last edited:
As of right now I would take a healthy Alex Smith over DW4. But they're comparable in that Alex isn't as physically gifted as DW4, but he can read defenses and gets rid of the ball quickly.

Your mind is clouded by the Alex Smith that was with Andy Reid in KC. You're not remembering the Alex Smith with the 9ers & Redskins.

BTW, Smith got rid of the ball quickly because he only threw to routes less than 15 yards (exaggerating of course)... but he wasn't a guy looking to make plays downfield.

Smith wasn't good enough for even Andy's offense. If he couldn't do anything with him, how do you envisage him working in OBs offense?
Flip that over - do you think Reid could work with Watson?

Trust me I know, I’ve been around a lot other teams forums and they spew their hate just a lot members on here. They consistently toss around their flawed agendas hoping to get a certain reaction. Now look around here , it went from Watson too S to run a NFL offense, to he cannot compete against top NFL defense, to he doesn’t throw with anticipation and accuracy to currently the state of the conversation going now. Basically saying the Texans are in a hole not because of the HC/GM but because of Watson.

Truth hurts.

Your mind is clouded by the Alex Smith that was with Andy Reid in KC. You're not remembering the Alex Smith with the 9ers & Redskins.

BTW, Smith got rid of the ball quickly because he only threw to routes less than 15 yards (exaggerating of course)... but he wasn't a guy looking to make plays downfield.

We we were discussing Alex Smith when he was with Reid.

See my thoughts above.

Leadership goes out the window real quick when your team is getting beat like a drum.

And a HC good enough to coach that QB to beating avg. defenses but not championships.

Every team they've lost to in the was the more talented team.

But with the praise Reid gets around these parts he should've not only gone to more SB's but won at least 1 instead of puking on T.O.'s shoes.

Rodgers not going to more than 1 SB is more of an indictment on the Packers GM's. Ted Thompson was a cheapa$$ and did you see their new GM's draft? LMAO. Draft Rodgers replacement in the 1st rd and dont get Rodgers the obvious WR help he needs to be successful at any point in the draft. SMH

BTW, Rodgers has completed 1 pass to a WR that was picked in the 1st rd in his ENTIRE career. That speaks volumes as to how good Rodgers really is.

That narrative can no longer be told. Rodgers has had multiple problems or complaints from all types of teammates and ex coaches at this point. Hell, the man doesn't even speak to any of his family members for crying out loud. He's got some personality issues. He gets his long time HC fired, and now the reports are that the successful new HC who is very young is already getting fed up with Rodgers. There is no other elite QB of his caliber that I've ever seen this many stockpiled questionable leadership issues as far as arrogance and having a sniveling attitude towards everyone around you as I've seen from Rodgers at this point. I'm not a hater of this guy or anything. I've always liked Rodgers, but he's clearly got some personality issues that just seem unsolvable at this point.

That narrative can no longer be told. Rodgers has had multiple problems or complaints from all types of teammates and ex coaches at this point. Hell, the man doesn't even speak to any of his family members for crying out loud. He's got some personality issues. He gets his long time HC fired, and now the reports are that the successful new HC who is very young is already getting fed up with Rodgers. There is no other elite QB of his caliber that I've ever seen this many stockpiled questionable leadership issues as far as arrogance and having a sniveling attitude towards everyone around you as I've seen from Rodgers at this point. I'm not a hater of this guy or anything. I've always liked Rodgers, but he's clearly got some personality issues that just seem unsolvable at this point.

He's arrogant,

Alot like his predecessor.

Or Aaron Rogers’ leadership.

They finished 13-3 and obviously needed to add to their WR corps.

Who do they add in the draft/FA? Devin Funchess. LMAO

BTW, didn't the Packers give up record amount of rushing yds? That had more to do with the Packers losing that game far more than anything to do with Rodgers leadership deficiencies.

I would love to see what Rodgers could do with the Texans receiving corps. #Fireworks

You really think the Texans got better swapping Reader for a rookie , DHop for Brandin Cooks and Johnson for Hyde ?!

Give me some of what you are drinking.

I hink they needed interior pass rush and Blacklock can give them that. I think Jernigan is an upgrade and I like Reader but not at 13 mil per yr. Plus Dunn played quite a bit of NT and Reader played DE. To answer your question, yes I like Blacklock at DE and sliding down in passing situation.

I also think the combo of Cooks/Cobb if healthy will give you more than Nuk/whoever played Slot last yr. That's if DW4 doesn't screw the pooch.

I dont have high hopes for DJ but the fan in me wants to believe what he said in his interview. (He's healthy and ready to go) If that's truly the case the offense will be much more dangerous. (If you know who doesn't do what I said above.)

There will Receivers open next yr.

I hink they needed interior pass rush and Blacklock can give them that. I think Jernigan is an upgrade and I like Reader but not at 13 mil per yr. Plus Dunn played quite a bit of NT and Reader played DE. To answer your question, yes I like Blacklock at DE and sliding down in passing situation.

I also think the combo of Cooks/Cobb if healthy will give you more than Nuk/whoever played Slot last yr. That's if DW4 doesn't screw the pooch.

I dont have high hopes for DJ but the fan in me wants to believe what he said in his interview. (He's healthy and ready to go) If that's truly the case the offense will be much more dangerous. (If you know who doesn't do what I said above.)

There will Receivers open next yr.

My question was "Did they get better." I don't believe they did.

Last year we had arguably The Best WR in the game. Receivers weren't open ….. OB didn't make that happen now you expect to have guys open with lesser talent ?!

What they did was fill holes (with lesser talent ) that OB created with his roster moves over the past two seasons.

Indy got better , Rivers is leaps and bounds better than Brissett and is far better coached.
Tennessee added to a team that went further than the Texans last year and again , better coached.
Jax is a wildcard with a solid team around Minshew ….

I have very low expectations for this years Texans and wouldn't at all be surprised if they were behind at least two and possibly all three teams in the division.

Is Watson suddenly going to figure it out minus the leagues best WR - Odds are against that.
Is OB going to pull his head out of his butt crack ? 6 years of the same old crap tell us no.

RAC isn't there to scheme a defense lacking talent to mediocrity …. and much of the talent he had relied on the past 3-4 years is gone too. They are woefully lacking talent at the corners and didn't even feel confident enough to take on Conley's 5th year option - Yet he's a likely starter outside.

Did they get better ?!
Did their division rivals get better ?!

6-10.

Last year we had arguably The Best WR in the game. Receivers weren't open ….. OB didn't make that happen now you expect to have guys open with lesser talent ?!

What they did was fill holes (with lesser talent ) that OB created with his roster moves over the past two seasons.

Indy got better , Rivers is leaps and bounds better than Brissett and is far better coached.
Tennessee added to a team that went further than the Texans last year and again , better coached.

I have very low expectations for this years Texans and wouldn't at all be surprised if they were behind at least two and possibly all three teams in the division.

Is Watson suddenly going to figure it out minus the leagues best WR - Odds are against that.
Is OB going to pull his head out of his butt crack ? 6 years of the same old crap tell us no.

RAC isn't there to scheme a defense lacking talent to mediocrity …. and much of the talent he had relied on the past 3-4 years is gone too. They are woefully lacking talent at the corners and didn't even feel confident enough to take on Conley's 5th year option - Yet he's a likely starter outside.

Did they get better ?!

6-10.
In a nutshell, I agree with this. People are expecting too much because of the additions look better "on paper". The draft I was ok with, the other off season moves I was not.

Did they get better ?!

6-10.

FWIW, in my opinion the biggest jump forward this team can make in terms of "getting better" is via coaching and play calling. We lost some top level talent in Hopkins and Reader and gained some mid level to above average talent in Cobbs an Cook. Most of us agree the draft, although could have been better, was good enough.

Yes, the other teams got better via draft and FA. For the Texans to remain on top of the division will require them to do something no one is expecting - get better via coaching/scheme. Can they do it? That is the big question. However with an OC given the reigns of the offense finally and new DC in Weaver and hopefully a HC fully invested in managing only the game, there is at least the chance it can happen.

Did they get better ?!

6-10.
In a nutshell, I agree with this. People are expecting too much because of the additions look better "on paper". The draft I was ok with, the other off season moves I was not.

While I agree with both posts premise, I'm going a different route. I don't have low expectations, I expect them to improve in performance from last year. That performance is based on W-L record and advancing further in the postseason, anything less is failure. Darth OB shouldn't get any passes, he has been here long enough to show what he is capable of. Yes he's dealt with constraints but that's part of the job and he's had some success but at this point there is no margin for error. So I'm going with they got better, even if most think it's unrealistic and my morning Bloody Mary is empty.

Last edited:
While I agree with both posts premise, I'm going a different route. I don't have low expectations, I expect them to improve in performance from last year. That performance is based on W-L record and advancing further in the postseason, anything less is failure. Darth OB shouldn't get any passes, he has been here long enough to show what he is capable of. Yes he's dealt with constraints but that's part of the job and he's had some success but at this point there is no margin for error. So I'm going with they got better, even if most think it's unrealistic and my morning Bloody Mary is empty.
Even if you believe we got better, the ultimate question is if we got better than the rest of the division which I believe is no. Our division improved more than we did and had more potential going into 2020, with the exception of maybe the Jags.

Even if you believe we got better, the ultimate question is if we got better than the rest of the division which I believe is no. Our division improved more than we did and had more potential going into 2020, with the exception of maybe the Jags.
We didn't get better using the draft/acquisitions as the metric, but I think we are still better than the Colts and Jags. The Tits got hot last year at the right time but it remains to be seen if that is sustained. We should still be able to take advantage of our division.

We didn't get better using the draft/acquisitions as the metric, but I think we are still better than the Colts and Jags. The Tits got hot last year at the right time but it remains to be seen if that is sustained. We should still be able to take advantage of our division.
I like your optimism, and hope you are right, but the Titans were looking REALLY good last year and have superior coaching. The duo of Tannehill and Henry look unstoppable, with a solid core of WRs, and they also acquired Vic Bealsey Jr. and Krisitan Fulton. The Colts were decent last year, and also had a good draft with Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman, and especially made a huge improvement at QB adding Phillip Rivers. I think the Titans run away with the division this year, and we will be in a race for 2nd with the Colts.

I don't think the Titans improved all that much. They traded Casey and Conklin left. I also predict Henry will holdout for the big contract (as he should).

You really think the Texans got better swapping Reader for a rookie , DHop for Brandin Cooks and Johnson for Hyde ?!

I think we got deeper (except for secondary), but I can't necessarily say better overall.

The defense worries me because we're relying on rookies to produce, Watt to stay healthy, and somehow they managed to get the secondary worse.

I don't think the Titans improved all that much. They traded Casey and Conklin left. I also predict Henry will holdout for the big contract (as he should).
Like I said, they acquried Vic Bealsey Jr. and Krisitan Fulton, Isaiah Wilson was drafted and immediately replaces Conklin at tackle, they have better coaching, and the Tannehill-Henry duo looks upstoppable. Losing Casey and Conklin will not hurt them at all. Henry signed the franchise tender already and will most likely workout a long term deal.

Like I said, they acquried Vic Bealsey Jr. and Krisitan Fulton, Isaiah Wilson was drafted and immediately replaces Conklin at tackle, they have better coaching, and the Tannehill-Henry duo looks upstoppable. Losing Casey and Conklin will not hurt them at all. Henry signed the franchise tender already and will most likely workout a long term deal.

Meh. Not saying they won't be good, but not convinced they improved all that much.

Highly doubt it but the youngster better be a quick learner. It’s a very good chance he won’t have the luxury of OTAs and TC. Now Dunn’s game will have to step up and ole buddy we brought in will be beneficial.

Lol hater-aid is not a drink I would recommend. Stay clear away from it.

I am not counting on any draft pick this year being a huge difference maker, so Titans OT yawn, many are busts anyway and with minimal camp I just don't see it. I like the Titans and Colts coaching staffs, but don't trust their QB's as much as DW4. Rivers turns it over when it counts, and Tannehill, well he really needs help to be good. They have a deeper team, but I still see DW4 doing just enough. Jags are a team for the future and one team BOB can outcoach!

YES!

Hopkins was a loss, but he's a single player. As a group, our receivers going into this season are BETTER. With the return of Howard and a years experience behind Howard and Scharping; and with a year's integration into the OL for Tunsil; yes our OL will be BETTER. Yes, David Johnson upgrades our RB position and is a better fit into the design of our offense. BETTER.

Defense is more of a wait-and-see. Conley, Reid and Roby are back in the defensive backfield. Gibson was cut and replaced by Jaylen Watkins. NEUTRAL. Watt coming back makes our end of season DL BETTER. Durability is a question mark, but we'll wait-and-see. At NT, Dunn is returning. When Reader played Nose, Dunn represents Not Better. But when Reader was moved outside for pass rush, rookie Blacklock is an improvement over Reader. With Omenihu we're in a wait-and-see to see if there is a second year jump in production. Mercilus returns. Timmy Jerrigan is an upgrade. Jonathan Greenard makes our pass rush better. McKinney and Cunningham return. Scarlett and Eijiofor return. So, overall, pass rush BETTER and run defense NEUTRAL.

YES,
with our off season moves we have made our team BETTER.

Did they get better ?!

6-10.

I think the defense got better. Of course I really like the picks on that side of the ball.

Of course they still don't have anybody to cover the TE and have a rookie DC.

On offense if they stay healthy I think they should be better. Nuk shouldn't be missed if DW4'S what some on here think he is. We're going to find out. That makes me happy.

I don't like that BOB has rookie coordinators. That's a sign of weakness on BOB's part. IMHO

Before last season what did you have their record at?

If healthy this is a 10-6 team. If injuries hit them hard I could see 6-10. If DW4'S playing the way he did at the end of the season last yr, then even if they are healthy they will be lucky to win 6 games.

Last edited:
The only true way to know if these moves have made our team better is:

We need evidence proving/ showing we’ve gotten better.

You can scream to the top of your lungs YES in bold letters all day long. Up until they hit the field and show us they’ve gotten better, it’s all speculation and wishful optimistic thinking.

You can scream to the top of your lungs YES in bold letters all day long. Up until they hit the field and show us they’ve gotten better, it’s all speculation and wishful optimistic thinking.

Of course that's true... but then we'd have nothing to talk about.

I'm one who believes Watson has figured it out. His stats are very comparable to all the top QBs in the league despite BO'b

Well, I'm hoping (just like I hoped last year) that BO'b has learned he needs to step back & focus on headcoaching & not offense coaching. Like I said, it's hope. Hope that Watson, Kelly, & Carl Smith put together an offense that takes advantage of our talent.
RAC isn't there to scheme a defense lacking talent to mediocrity ….
Where'd RAC go? He might not be on the sidelines on game day, but he's going to be there throughout the week. Weaver is on training wheels.

Did they get better ?!

I'm definitely not arguing that they got better. Just addressing the points I quoted. I'm not convinced we've gotten better, but I've been saying the same things three years running & things turn out better than I expected. So who knows. Buy plenty of whiskey.

Yes, the other teams got better via draft and FA. For the Texans to remain on top of the division will require them to do something no one is expecting - get better via coaching/scheme. Can they do it? That is the big question. However with an OC given the reigns of the offense finally and new DC in Weaver and hopefully a HC fully invested in managing only the game, there is at least the chance it can happen.
I believe in continuity.

I think we'll see improvement from that alone, not only on our OL, but our secondary as well. Roby, LonnieJ, & Joseph were our corners going into the offseason last year. Conley, Hargreaves, & Gaines all came in during the season. Hopefully (there's that word again) they learned a lot & will be able to play faster in 2020.

Or you can scream NO, truth will be told on the field. But the weapons are there for this team to be improved. Like with any season health will be the key. The Texans are woefully thin depth wise.

Back