Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

The Texans had their eyes set on WR Kenny Stills long before trading with the Dolphins
Avery Duncan

5 hours ago
With wide receiver Will Fuller out with a groin injury, the Houston Texans will enter the postseason after Week 17’s bout with the Tennessee Titans with Kenny Stills as their No. 2 receiver.
Though perhaps not as dynamic as Fuller, Stills can fill-in adequately for him. He has similar speed (4.38-second 40-time compared to 4.33), veteran experience (107 career games) and, perhaps most importantly, the Texans are familiar with him.

Before acquiring Stills in a blockbuster trade with the Miami Dolphins on Aug. 31, the Texans examined the 27-year-old receiver’s game tape. Coach Bill O’Brien says he’s been watching him for quite some time.
“I’ve been watching Kenny for a long time,” O’Brien said on Thursday. “Kenny’s got really good speed, he’s tough, really good route-runner. He’s a sharp route-runner. He’s smart. He was here last year, played against us when he was in Miami, we played out here on Thursday night last year. So, we studied him for that game.”

Initially a fifth-round pick from the Oklahoma Sooners (2013), Stills spent his first two years with the New Orleans Saints before the Dolphins acquired him in a trade. He played in South Beach for four seasons.
“We’ve been watching Kenny for a long time so we knew that he could add something to what we were looking for at that position,” O’Brien concluded.

The Texans know Stills. Now, heading into the postseason, he will need to back up O’Brien’s lauding of him to keep Houston’s pass offense productive.

Its really a concern for me why we have had some many players with hamstring issues this year.
Hamstring injuries are the most common injuries in sports. If you look around the League, we are really not afflicted any more than other teams.........it just becomes more "prominent to the eyes" when it happens to more important players. If you look back to posts in previous years, this is a recurrent impression/complaint.........but it truly hasn't changed significantly.

For more input about the subject, if you haven't already come across the discussion between me and Otisbean in the Fuller thread, you may want to look it through.

LOL @ Kenny Stills being a player OBrien pined for. Its amusing to me because both Fuller and Stills have about the same speed. Fuller cant stay healthy and runs better routes than Stills. I may say Fuller even has the better hands, but availability is your best ability. I just dont understand why the offense looks useless when Fuller is out? Stills should be able to step right in for Fuller and provide the same exact player/play style.

Stills was a throw in with Tunsil dont let them fool you. If this brass was really forward thinking they would have thought about Minkah Fitzpatrick or Devante Adams as part of the blockbuster. THEN those two firsts you give up dont hurt as much. Fitzpatrick was dealt before the Tunsil trade, but again how active were you really? They say they had eyes on Stills, but yet the Dolphins were having a fire sale and had better players available? Okay I guess.

I just wish the offense wouldnt look night and day different when Fuller is out, especially when you were supposed to be buying "Mr Glass" insurance with the Stills trade.

Its been pretty fun to watch Bill OBrien pump up all his moves lately though LOL.

If you haven't noticed Lonnie Johnson, who was made a starter by week 2, has not played more than 50% of defensive snaps since Week 11 when the Ravens beat down the Texans so badly..........with the acquisition of other more experienced CBs, the team has been working him on STs giving him a chance to gain some seasoning for the future, watching and learning behind the more experienced.

We also need an OC that knows how to use him.

And how to use TEs and how to use Duke.

Unless Duke has a big game Sunday, he will have career lows in catches, targets and receiving yards, and will have more rushing yards than receiving for the 1st time in his career.

Fells, having career highs in catches and yards and tied for the team lead in TDs, has seen his targets nearly cut in half since week 8.

We burn so many picks on tes and then don't use them worth a damn. If you just looked at draft picks you'd think te was a priority. If you look at how they're used on game day you realize they're not.

It's just an ob infatuation leftover from his days in ne.

LMAOOOOOOO ... this team never ceases to amaze me. SMH. Mercilus has been a JAG most of this year after his 'hot start' DURING A CONTRACT YEAR!! .. you let those kinds of guys WALK .. he does not move the needle enough and then to pay him 13Ms per year to just do nothing? Why? "durrr he's having a career year" all by default. When you need someone to make a play lately it hasnt been Whitney Mercilus its been Jacob Martin.

Par for the course. You gotta spend the money somewhere. Ugh.

Punter extension? makes me chuckle too, but who cares about that so much.

LMAOOOOOOO ... this team never ceases to amaze me. SMH. Mercilus has been a JAG most of this year after his 'hot start' DURING A CONTRACT YEAR!! .. you let those kinds of guys WALK .. he does not move the needle enough and then to pay him 13Ms per year to just do nothing? Why? "durrr he's having a career year" all by default. When you need someone to make a play lately it hasnt been Whitney Mercilus its been Jacob Martin.

Par for the course. You gotta spend the money somewhere. Ugh.

Punter extension? makes me chuckle too, but who cares about that so much.

Scarlets done less. You want to replace (,expect to) them both in 1 offseason?

Dude get off the freaking gas. It was posted right before I posted. And O didn’t come up with the damn title. All the Texans news feeds are saying breaking news

Okay, I'll just go back to the drumk thread, but you can read the posted times as well as I can. Just saying you might want to try reading before you try to rush to be first. Don't even say you didn't

Okay, I'll just go back to the drumk thread, but you can read the posted times as well as I can. Just saying you might want to try reading before you try to rush to be first. Don't even say you didn't

You and @Texansballer74 should take it to the basement.

I live in Houston... no basements here, it floods

The basement is intended for posters who dont get along. Continued bickering in the regular thread risks deleted posts by mods. The basement allows for a touch more freedom in arguments...

Hash it out there. You could be a trailblazer.

You guys are missing the point. The important thing is the Texans are now doing contract negotiations during the season. Things are changing on Kirby!

I guess handing out bad extensions before the season ends is better than doing it in the offseason. I’ll def be over it by summer lol

Why you so focused on it? No biggie. Gentler, kinder MB.

Merci at $13.5 makes no damn sense.

View attachment 5241
You cannot quite compare someone that basically signed for 2020 with older contracts. FA keep going up and up. They like him on/off the field, heck he may be mentoring and developing Martin and Scarlett who were cheaper guys. Seems a bit high, but let's see what other edge FA get this offseason. Seems really a 2 year deal looking at GTD so ok. If JJ retires or gets hurt again, good to have him around as a locker room leader

I do like the change where they do deals in the season. Angerer has been money, pay the guy

Gtfoh , I was not trying to be the first to post it. Papal said he heard about the extension, so I pulled it up copy and pasted. Once I did that dude had already posted the news from Twitter.

Stop assuming stuff. You got that s bad.

Back