Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

We’ll see. Asking if we won the trade before the picks are made is ESPN self gratification nonsense. Did the Vikings or Cowboys win the Hershel Walker trade?

Exactly! Much too early to call at this point, but looking good so far imo. Hopefully it will continue for the next 10 years

We’ll see. Asking if we won the trade before the picks are made is ESPN self gratification nonsense. Did the Vikings or Cowboys win the Hershel Walker trade?

2 totally different situations.

BTW, there's only been 1 Herschel Walker trade.

Best case scenario is the Mack/Raiders trade.

Worst case is the CB/Manziel 1st rd picks.

So is a 25 yr old LT starting in a pro bowl worth two 1sts?
He does lead the league in penalties.

False Start (12), Ineligible Downfield Pass (3), Offensive Holding (2)

That's 17 total penalties. 2 were declined. 15 were accepted for 80 yards.

Even though he is a very good left tackle his inconsistent play & failure to learn from his mistakes means I'm just not sure we could ever win a super bowl with a penalty machine like him.

As far as the pro bowl goes I guess Tunsil(his first time in 4 years) & Watson (his second time in 3 years) both making it proves you don't have to play perfect games to be considered one of the best at your position by the fans, coaches and players that voted them both in.

He does lead the league in penalties.

False Start (12), Ineligible Downfield Pass (3), Offensive Holding (2)

That's 17 total penalties. 2 were declined. 15 were accepted for 80 yards.

Even though he is a very good left tackle his inconsistent play & failure to learn from his mistakes means I'm just not sure we could ever win a super bowl with a penalty machine like him.

As far as the pro bowl goes I guess Tunsil(his first time in 4 years) & Watson (his second time in 3 years) both making it proves you don't have to play perfect games to be considered one of the best at your position by the fans, coaches and players that voted them both in.

QB and OT are 2 totally different situations

But if you want to make a correlation be my guest.

Was kind of hoping Reader might get a nod for the Pro Bowl.
I had Hope's for him and Cunningham.
They're alternates....
The Texans also feature a healthy group of Pro Bowl alternates, which means if a player at their position decides not to play, these players will be brought in instead. This list includes outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, nose tackle D.J. Reader, long snapper Jon Weeks, center Nick Martin and inside linebacker Zach Cunningham. If the Texans go from the worst offensive line in recent memory to having two Pro Bowlers the next year, that will be one of the most remarkable turnarounds in franchise history. Cunningham may have been the biggest snub as he leads the AFC in tackles. D.J. Reader is one of the most underappreciated players in the league and has been a terror in the run game.​

Link

They're alternates....
The Texans also feature a healthy group of Pro Bowl alternates, which means if a player at their position decides not to play, these players will be brought in instead. This list includes outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus, nose tackle D.J. Reader, long snapper Jon Weeks, center Nick Martin and inside linebacker Zach Cunningham. If the Texans go from the worst offensive line in recent memory to having two Pro Bowlers the next year, that will be one of the most remarkable turnarounds in franchise history. Cunningham may have been the biggest snub as he leads the AFC in tackles. D.J. Reader is one of the most underappreciated players in the league and has been a terror in the run game.​

Link

wasn't extending Martin a horrible OB the GM mistake?
I can’t keep up

In the beginning a lot of us thought so. But Martin has played tremendously better throughout the regular season.

Personally I dont think Martin was anything special and maybe gets accolades based on family name. I think reid had a superior year easily and i would consider him a bigger snub then Martin (had he not made it.) Jmo.

wasn't extending Martin a horrible OB the GM mistake?
I can’t keep up

Martín has had a resurgence because last year he was pretty bad (21st graded C in NFL) and was even considered the WORST center in the AFC South by some outlets. His overall grade of 64 this year is average - his run blocking is not very good, and he has the 3rd highest salary among all NFL centers. When he’s been out I’ve even caught myself wondering if Fulton didn’t play a better C position.

It’s a “what have you done lately” league and this year he’s played well. At least he isn’t a noticeable liability, not sure if I'd go throwing a party for OBrien over the move just yet.

We should have drafted the center that the Saints got.

I would have taken a flyer on Mike Pouncey when he became available but some guys were saying that his career was almost done because of injury - and then he went on to make the pro bowl AGAIN ... LOL. He hurt his neck this year and some are saying could be career threatening, but I thought he and his brother were the best C's in the game.

They're alternates....

Link
With TWELVE Ravens making the team and the likelihood of them making the SB and/or big playoff run, there will be lots of alternates going to the ProBowl.

Martín has had a resurgence because last year he was pretty bad (21st graded C in NFL) and was even considered the WORST center in the AFC South by some outlets. His overall grade of 64 this year is average - his run blocking is not very good, and he has the 3rd highest salary among all NFL centers. When he’s been out I’ve even caught myself wondering if Fulton didn’t play a better C position.

It’s a “what have you done lately” league and this year he’s played well. At least he isn’t a noticeable liability, not sure if I'd go throwing a party for OBrien over the move just yet.

His PFF rankings hasn't improved all that much compared to last season. He's 17th overall and 4th best center in the AFC South. TBH, extremely surprised he got voted as an alternate.

7 of the 8 pro bowlers / alternates are Rick Smith picks. Thanks Rick.

Oh shiiiit. Steel is gonna be REALLY grumpy now.

tenor.gif

Two high ankle fracture surgeries have predictably sigificantly limited Martin's original potential, and will continue to do so for the remainder of his career.

Two high ankle fracture surgeries have predictably sigificantly limited Martin's original potential, and will continue to do so for the remainder of his career.

Makes some sense. He doesnt get much push in the run game. Hopefully he lives up to the contract, lots of money still to pay.

They're alternates....

Link
The Pro Bowl has turned into the NFL's version of a Harlem Globetrotter game where QBs wear bubble wrap with caution flags and all other players play tentatively praying not to get injured while vying to show off their worthless participation wooden nickels.

Last edited:
Actually they've been quite predictable with their WWLWWLWWL pattern.
I’d like to be the second person (Tony Romo was the first, that I know of) to congratulate the Texans for a great season in going to, but losing the AFC championship game. Good job, fellas!

My gut feeling, though, is that the congratulations are premature. Starting with the last win (in Tennessee) I believe W, W, L, L is how the trend gets broken. Watson, BO’b and the defense are all to inconsistent for me to believe the highest achievement they earn this year is another meaningless (in my mind) AFC South championship.

Maybe they catch fire and I’m wrong, I just don’t have a good reason to believe otherwise right now.

Those were Gaines guys. OB has not officially drafted yet, so he is trader Bill until we see his draft acumen

We already know that OB has his fingerprints all over the draft thanks to this post from the Fire BOB thread:

From that article:
"It is just another sign that shows that O'Brien has had a heavy hand in personnel decisions even with former general manager Rick Smith was in the building. "

We already know that OB has his fingerprints all over the draft thanks to this post from the Fire BOB thread:
Trying to determine how much influence BO’b has had on previous drafts is-

A married couple has two children. One is an overachieving golden child that makes straight A’s; the other is an underachieving black sheep that has had to switch schools because of academic issues. And all the neighbors are trying to figure out on which side of the family each child gets their DNA from.

We’re the neighbors trying to figure out who was behind drafting the Watson types and who was behind drafting the XSF types. We’re never going to know but we’ll keep gossiping about it.

A married couple has two children. One is an overachieving golden child that makes straight A’s; the other is an underachieving black sheep that has had to switch schools because of academic issues. And all the neighbors are trying to figure out on which side of the family each child gets their DNA from.

We’re the neighbors trying to figure out who was behind drafting the Watson types and who was behind drafting the XSF types. We’re never going to know but we’ll keep gossiping about it.

There is no individual responsible... it's a boardroom group-think organization.

And the only responsible thing to do is blame them equally for the bad and praise them equally for the good...even if gossip-mongering feels good and makes us think we are right.

The Pro Bowl has turned into the NFL's version of a Harlem Globetrotter game where QBs wear bubble wrap with caution flags and all other players play tentatively praying not to get injured while vying to show off their worthless participation wooden nickels.
well, it's always been just an exhibition game. When it was in Hawaii "honorees" took their families with them there on vacation and who wants to get hurt on vacation?
:)
the only true "All-Star game" used to be in MLB back before inter-league play took the edge off the NL vs. AL rivalry.
Then, on top of that, the tie game happened...

Rivers McCown (@riversmccown) Tweeted:
Houston's wild defensive DVOA splits (lower is better for defenses):

First-down defense: -25.5% DVOA (second best)
Second-down defense: 26.80% DVOA (worst)
Third-down defense: 54.7% DVOA (worst)

Second-and-long: 44.4% DVOA (worst)
Third-and-long: 107.1% DVOA (worst)

Stats of a team that is good against the run, but no pass rush.

I’d really like Austin Ekeler in our backfield next year. Dude was on MVP pace before Gordon came to his senses.

Last edited:
Back