Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans promote TE coach Tim Kelly to be the OC

Shishkabob

All Pro
Nuk is a Hall player. Talking about making ordinary players great.

Just for the record, OD was a Casserly pick. Kubiak was going to go with the safety but said Casserly convinced him to take OD. Obviously worked since OD followed to Baltimore & Denver.
Nuk is also a pretty slow receiver, generally guys get open by a 5-10 yard radius because of a blown coverage caused by confusion within the offensive scheme. Nuk's wide open grab against Miami was set up perfectly by a deep shot to Fuller before, same look Miami bit on Fuller and let Nuk go. That is scheming, using plays to set up other plays

281Texan

Waterboy
What a lousy move. Not to discredit Tim Kelly personally because I'm sure he's a great guy, but this man played on the defensive side of the ball his whole career. He jumped on with Bill as a GA at Penn State then Bill thought it would be a good idea to have him coach TE's and assist with OL (both positions have sucked since Kubiak) THEN we decide that he's ready to become OC. All this is, is Bill O'Brien saying fine, I'll give you your OC but he's not going to be someone who can have any valuable input. Things will be the same as usual, and Bill will be fired after next season when we play a big boys schedule. Just a total waste of a year. At least Houston saw the writing on the wall with Minor Applewhite. Why can't the Texans do the same?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What a lousy move. Not to discredit Tim Kelly personally because I'm sure he's a great guy, but this man played on the defensive side of the ball his whole career. He jumped on with Bill as a GA at Penn State then Bill thought it would be a good idea to have him coach TE's and assist with OL (both positions have sucked since Kubiak) THEN we decide that he's ready to become OC. All this is, is Bill O'Brien saying fine, I'll give you your OC but he's not going to be someone who can have any valuable input. Things will be the same as usual, and Bill will be fired after next season when we play a big boys schedule. Just a total waste of a year. At least Houston saw the writing on the wall with Minor Applewhite. Why can't the Texans do the same?
Let them build their team and we'll see.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club

I hope I'm wrong, but it seems to me that O'Brien is simply flaunting his ultra conservative offensive philosophy. I don't guess he considered Mike Leach for even a moment !

Mangler

Toro de España
I believe you're wrong.

Give him talent and we will see.

That's the good thing about having a GM/HC that work together and share the same vision.
I used to think this, but then we went and got Deshaun Watson. Turns out, we were not just “a QB away.” Hell, we went out and got a good special teams coach who tuned our special teams into a top unit, still no improvement by O’Brien and more of the same.

Now, I understand injuries do happen and they always will, but It seems like he never has a plan b. His plan A is already shaky to begin with. I have lost all faith in O’Brien. I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I used to think this, but then we went and got Deshaun Watson. Turns out, we were not just “a QB away.” Hell, we went out and got a good special teams coach who tuned our special teams into a top unit, still no improvement by O’Brien and more of the same.
I know the end of the year with the loss in the P/Os to the Colt is disappointing, but still 11-5 is not too shabby is it ?

Mangler

Toro de España
I know the end of the year with the loss in the P/Os to the Colt is disappointing, but still 11-5 is not too shabby is it ?
You’re forgetting the 2-3 games our opponents gift war apples for us by missing the game winning field goal after our defense couldn’t make a single stop,eating then march down the field on 70-80+ yard drives.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You’re forgetting the 2-3 games our opponents gift war apples for us by missing the game winning field goal after our defense couldn’t make a single stop,eating then march down the field on 70-80+ yard drives.
The Texans also gave away a couple of games like the fake punt Tacks game, or the Philly game.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
But the offense still sucks. I view it as Obrien wasting a good year by the defense and special teams because he can't get it together on offense.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Give him some talent to work with next season and we'll see. That's the good thing.
how about O'Brien gets his hands dirty and helps select this "talent" instead of blaming the GM for not giving it too him. Please notice the better coaches are in on the player selection process (see Belichick, Reid, and Carroll) instead of using that sad "I just coach the guys I'm given" cop out. If I hear that excuse one more time....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
how about O'Brien gets his hands dirty and helps select this "talent" instead of blaming the GM for not giving it too him. Please notice the better coaches are in on the player selection process (see Belichick, Reid, and Carroll) instead of using that sad "I just coach the guys I'm given" cop out. If I hear that excuse one more time....
He probably did get his hands dirty in last yrs, so you wont hear this again.

He was probably telling the truth and once his thoughts were discounted by the previous GM, he let the previous GM fall on his sword. As you know, this happens in corporate environments all the time.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Not according to OTC... though re-distributing dead money may be the difference
if a player is designated a June 1st cut, or traded after June 1st then the team cutting him or trading him is still on the hook for paying his base salary for that season as base salaries are paid out by June 1st. Then the signing bonus that the team gets to spread out over the length of the contract gets pushed back to the next season, instead of the current year. The team doesn't get to use any of the money until June 1st, so they miss the big wave of free agency. It's mainly for teams in dire need of cap relief to sign their draft picks, and make in season moves.

At least this is what I've gathered from the 20 different articles I've read on it lol

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
if a player is designated a June 1st cut, or traded after June 1st then the team cutting him or trading him is still on the hook for paying his base salary for that season as base salaries are paid out by June 1st.
Don't know what you've been reading but base salaries are paid out in weekly checks thru the regular season. June 1st is only significant to accounting for dead money for cut players, nothing more.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Don't know what you've been reading but base salaries are paid out in weekly checks thru the regular season. June 1st is only significant to accounting for dead money for cut players, nothing more.
Doesn't it work like this?

You can spread June 1st cuts dead $$$$ out over 2 yrs?

Shishkabob

All Pro
I misread the wording the other day, it's on the books until June 1st and then drops to the bonus money that would be paid out just that year with the leftover rolling over to the next season

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
I misread the wording the other day, it's on the books until June 1st and then drops to the bonus money that would be paid out just that year with the leftover rolling over to the next season
Close. It's not bonus money that would be paid that year. It's prorated bonus money which would appear on the cap that year (dead money, it's already been paid, it just hasn't appeared on the cap yet) with the remainder being moved to the next season (as dead money).

Shishkabob

All Pro
Close. It's not bonus money that would be paid that year. It's prorated bonus money which would appear on the cap that year (dead money, it's already been paid, it just hasn't appeared on the cap yet) with the remainder being moved to the next season (as dead money).
yea that's what I meant, just on a phone so trying to limit my typing lol

OzzO

.. and then?
...While the expectation is that Kelly, the new offensive coordinator, will ipso facto become the new play-caller, O’Brien indicated they still have not made that decision. “I think it’s so early right now to really talk about any of that,” O’Brien told reporters at the NFL combine in Indianapolis. “We’re really concentrated on the draft. We’re concentrated on what we want to do. We have a nine-week offseason program that starts April 15.” O’Brien acknowledged that every play-caller “starts somewhere.” How they could decide whether or not to give Kelly full blown play-calling duties could be influenced by his ability to call plays during organized team activities in May.....
https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/28/bill-obrien-too-early-name-2019-texans-play-caller/?fbclid=IwAR2Sj2CmJPypuQTBDf3iMvwZmW-ucPO_utcwc6-h3844NYwPA-lrz66ephI

Reactions: Max

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
How long does OB give Kelly before he's calling the plays once again. How about an over/under poll. I'd set it at 6 games.

Kelly is suddenly the best QB Coach on the Texans staff and Carl Smith, who was brought to the Texans b/c of the work he had done in Seattle has suddenly lost his ability to coach and has been moved to a position that basically should have him looking for new employment opportunities.

I only hope Kelly is given "real" rein over the offensive play calling. If OB shows up on the sideline with his Denny's menu in hand, all bets are off......much like the Godsey's OC fiasco.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How long does OB give Kelly before he's calling the plays once again. How about an over/under poll. I'd set it at 6 games.

Kelly is suddenly the best QB Coach on the Texans staff and Carl Smith, who was brought to the Texans b/c of the work he had done in Seattle has suddenly lost his ability to coach and has been moved to a position that basically should have him looking for new employment opportunities.

I only hope Kelly is given "real" rein over the offensive play calling. If OB shows up on the sideline with his Denny's menu in hand, all bets are off......much like the Godsey's OC fiasco.
Smith is still on staff to help out DW4 along with Yates/Kelly. Smith will probably help out with weekly gameplanning. Kelly will work with GW4 some (Probably because they have a good relationship.) after he's installed the weekly gameplan. ( Explain what he wants DW4 to accomplish with the gameplan/watch film with DW4 etc....) He wont be working with DW4 on footwork/getting rid of the ball faster etc... that's what Yates/Smith will be working with DW4 on.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The Texans will be moving former quarterback and offensive assistant from last season T.J. Yates as the assistant quarterback coach. Yates helped coach the offensive line with Mike Devlin last season and was instrumental in helping clean up the communication between the line and quarterback. link

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Carl Smith, who was brought to the Texans b/c of the work he had done in Seattle has suddenly lost his ability to coach and has been moved to a position that basically should have him looking for new employment opportunities.
I hope Smith is doing more work with the scouting team breaking down opponents defenses & developing a plan to attack weaknesses. That, imo, has been a big Achilles over O'Briens tenure.

Especially last season. Three snaps in & we realize we're not playing who we thought we were.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I hope Smith is doing more work with the scouting team breaking down opponents defenses & developing a plan to attack weaknesses. That, imo, has been a big Achilles over O'Briens tenure.

Especially last season. Three snaps in & we realize we're not playing who we thought we were.
Under BOB the weekly gameplan offense usually takes a couple drives to figure out what the defense is doing. (Under BOB) Hopefully this changes under Kelly and the offense starts dictating to the defense from the 1st drive forward.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I believe you're wrong.

Give him talent and we will see.

That's the good thing about having a GM/HC that work together and share the same vision.
In this case the GM is looking up the HCs ass. I can't believe he traded Hopkins for Johnson and agreed to pay 100% of Johnson's salary.