Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans promote TE coach Tim Kelly to be the OC

infantrycak said:
Thomas & Akins both look good if developed. I give Gaines a lot of credit for them. Just want to see them used well.

That ranks as my biggest disappoint last season. I had high hopes for Jordan Akins .

Just seems like player development is not a high priority. Just the opposite. It is really a difficult task to find any player that has shown much improvement with this staff. If his players stayed healthy I think Welker might have done some good. Of course he will not be here long.

:coffee:

Well he's not a good blocker so couldn't play with O'Briens OL without getting Watson killed.

I don't think it's so easy to develop blocking skills in someone who sucked at it in college.

Well he's not a good blocker so couldn't play with O'Briens OL without getting Watson killed.

I don't think it's so easy to develop blocking skills in someone who sucked at it in college.

That would make sense if they were playing a decent blocker in his place. They weren't.

And blocking isn't that hard to learn. OD got decent fairly quickly. Griffin is 6 years in and still sucks.

That would make sense if they were playing a decent blocker in his place. They weren't.

And blocking isn't that hard to learn. OD got decent fairly quickly. Griffin is 6 years in and still sucks.

So then why does Griffin still suck at it if it's easy to learn?

My guess is obrien thought Griffin was a better blocker. He couldn't use the TEs much in the pass game because they had to help in blocking. Or maybe OBriens play design just sucks

I wanted BOB to get an OC, but I knew realistically this would be an internal promotion. I still expect BOB to call plays. Hopefully this will relieve some of the duties and BOB can become a better HC.

Holmgren was really good on his 610 interview. He said BOB had to get a OC immediately, but play calling he could keep and not be over burdened, so step 1 is complete and I have seen enough to see BOB CAN call a good game. Players are not executing at times and yes he is mind numbing and predictable at times, but the first step is to get someone accountable for the offense. The other key point is you don't want all yes men, I don't know where Kelly fits here, but I think he has been around BOB long enough to call BS. I would have preferred outside intervention for the OC, but I suspect it is a team effort on game plans and prep so basically really wanted some extra horsepower and accountability. We now have to see if this pays dues. It is never going to be 100% clear how big the issue is due to coaching, talent, scheme, and play calling if we continue to struggle. I suspect it is due to each. I expect better talent and maybe more time for coaching now so if everything clicks, we can blame those two historically and just be happy. I actually think most professional schemes are fine, if you have the talent for them and the coaching and execution are there, so that is my least worry unless you just cannot find players for an outdated scheme.... As a longtime Texan fan, back to hoping this helps just like every off season

Why do you come in and ask questions which have already been answered? The guy is clearly unqualified to be anything but an OB lackey. He brings nothing to the table.

Even if he were qualified, look what he did with Godsey. The offense was bland before Godsey was allowed to call plays. It was the same bland when Godsey was "allowed" to call plays. It's the same bland + dynamic QB now that Godsey is gone & is no longer calling plays.

Even if he were qualified, look what he did with Godsey. The offense was bland before Godsey was allowed to call plays. It was the same bland when Godsey was "allowed" to call plays. It's the same bland + dynamic QB now that Godsey is gone & is no longer calling plays.

And somehow it is the "same offense" as NE & Pittsburgh, two of the most dynamic, creative, adaptable offenses around.

Blue eyes and red hair. Frigging Vikings. Discovered America and couldn't do anything with it. They had a good TV show though.

Hey, do you know how hard it is to bring a row boat with 3 goats, a pig, 4 chickens and zero girls across an ocean? Land in Greenland or Nova fu@kin Scotia, the only folks doing the happy dance are the goats.

Hey, I'm like 1/10th of 1 percent Viking, or something. Do the Vikings get the credit for "discovering" America in school books yet, or is it still Columbus?

That’s what I taught my kid.

Vague referent.

Back to assimilation, my grandparents were 3rd & 4th generation Texas German. German was the preferred language, only language in certsin houses. Galveston especially but Texas in general was a German, Czech, Pole community. Went to a church gathering a couple years ago, oldtimer walks up and starts all Czech. Buddy walks up to save me, "he's German." Didn't really help since I can parse thru written and very slowly spoken German on a good day. But we managed. BBQ for all and the Catholic church made a killing on dollar beers.

Rapid conformity is a myth.

I'm a more than a bit frustrated by this move …. If you want a Yes man for your OC , why bother having one ?

This staff needs some outside influence …. cause whoever's been drawing this crap up is about the most unimaginative play designer in the league. They'd be better off letting Watson draw some sh!t up in the dirt half the time.

I'm a more than a bit frustrated by this move …. If you want a Yes man for your OC , why bother having one ?

This staff needs some outside influence …. cause whoever's been drawing this crap up is about the most unimaginative play designer in the league. They'd be better off letting Watson draw some sh!t up in the dirt half the time.

Did the OC strings come attached with the naming announcement?

This is another dumb move...in a long list of dumb moves.

Is there a chance he could work out? Sure. There was a chance that Godsey would work out too.
Why the hell couldn't the Texans get an "established" OC (for better or worse), rather than another friggin first-timer?
Why risk a first-timer getting overloaded on game day (like BoB appears at times)?

Is there a chance he could work out? Sure. There was a chance that Godsey would work out too.
Why the hell couldn't the Texans get an "established" OC (for better or worse), rather than another friggin first-timer?
Why risk a first-timer getting overloaded on game day (like BoB appears at times)?

ego

53959a.jpg

Some of y'all need to go back and read the Cosell article.

I listened to the podcast this morning.

I heard nothing that I haven't heard (read) before on this site.

It's obvious as hell that several posters here, including the one I quoted, spend lots of time / energy dissecting /discussing this team, and its coaches.

Lots of time spent on draftable players and suggestions on who they think would fit best on the team.

There may be lots of back and forth here but a lot of good stuff comes out of it.

If anyone reading this post learned anything from the podcast they haven't already heard discussed on this site please inform me.

Our resident Doc. has broken more news about the Texans than any of the professionals who are paid to do so.

TT has a lot to offer Texan fans. Just sift through the occasional fluff and :slapfight:.

There are some who others put on ignore but I prefer to hear them out, let it go in one ear and out the other. Always a chance I might learn something in spite of myself :).

:twocents:

But he's a member of neither 'faction' so offers perhaps a little insight to how the NFL in general views things

It's obvious as hell that several posters here, including the one I quoted, spend lots of time / energy dissecting /discussing this team, and its coaches.

Lots of time spent on draftable players and suggestions on who they think would fit best on the team.

There may be lots of back and forth here but a lot of good stuff comes out of it.

If anyone reading this post learned anything from the podcast they haven't already heard discussed on this site please inform me.

Our resident Doc. has broken more news about the Texans than any of the professionals who are paid to do so.

TT has a lot to offer Texan fans. Just sift through the occasional fluff and :slapfight:.

There are some who others put on ignore but I prefer to hear them out, let it go in one ear and out the other. Always a chance I might learn something in spite of myself :).

:twocents:

Yes we have members who range from just dudes who spend a ton of time following football to guys who have coached/played in college so we have a variety of good knowledge. That said, sometimes I have heard a commentator present something on a live broadcast only a few minutes later to have a poster make that point in the game day thread as though that poster just came up with the idea.

I respect Cosell, I also don't think he would criticize obrien too harshly. When they asked him about the playcalling, he said he's not inside the team or in the huddle so it could be the players just not executing. He also said the TEs were not very involved. That's not really the most ringing endorsement.

So OB now has someone to take the heat for his conservative ways. I would never believe that the new OC would call plays that OB hasn't already approved given any predetermined situation. Don't see any major changes in this department for next year.

Yes we have members who range from just dudes who spend a ton of time following football to guys who have coached/played in college so we have a variety of good knowledge. That said, sometimes I have heard a commentator present something on a live broadcast only a few minutes later to have a poster make that point in the game day thread as though that poster just came up with the idea.

I appreciate any Texan info I get. Always a chance the poster wasn't watching the same broadcast that you were watching. In either case though disseminating factual information is not a bad thing.

Courtesy says italics are used when quoting someone. Not always the case though.

As usual I appreciate your reply. This from one of the "just dudes". :)

But he's a member of neither 'faction' so offers perhaps a little insight to how the NFL in general views things

Didn't make myself clear. I was only speaking to Texans news.

Not too concerned with goings on with other NFL teams. Usually just pizzes me off..:)

Last edited:

This year's theme in hiring has been the quick or over promoting so-called young minds to OC/HC positions. As HCs, Kitchens, Kingsbury, Lafleur,, and Taylor are all plenty short of real NFL experience as teams chase the next McVay. Of course, Kelly is the Texans usual known and safe, over a similar outsider where we fans could at least talk ourselves into things being excited.

If it's Bill O'Brien's offense, does it really matter if someone is called OC? It didn't matter when Godsey called the plays, didn't matter when OB called the plays, I doubt it matters if Kelly calls plays, if he even does. The offensive design and philosophy (whatever it is) is the same. That's not changing. Until it does, it's going to be more of the same no matter who's calling the plays.

Last edited:
Didn't make myself clear. I was only speaking to Texans news.

Not too concerned with goings on with other NFL teams. Usually just pizzes me off..:)

yeah, I was just speaking of this board and he is aligned with neither side of the 'great debate', he is impartial when discussing the Texans

Back