Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

Wiki

Denver Broncos[edit]
Haynes was signed by the Denver Broncos as an undrafted free agent on May 5, 2023.[13] He was waived on August 29, 2023 but was signed to the practice squad the next day.[14][15] He was released on November 27.[16]

I question how much the Texans expect as a return for this small investment.....seems like a phantom place taker.....much like he acted last year.

OL Dieter Eiselen has been signed to a two-year contract. The new pact is worth $2.095 million, including a $10,000 signing bonus and nonguaranteed base salaries of $985,000 and $1.1 million.

The way Deiter played last year, he doesn't even make a good depth decision.
Did he play last year?

edit: found this on team site:

2023 (Houston 10/0, 2/0):
  • Played in 10 games with the Texans, contributing on special teams
  • Saw action on offense and on special teams in the AFC Wild Card win vs. Cleveland (1/13)
  • Contributed on special teams in the Divisional Round at Baltimore (1/20)

NNow if
Schultz has been a top 10 TE the last few years. Now he is being paid as such. I look forward to watching him be Stroud’s security blanket to the tune of around 50-60 catches and 600+ yards of locked in production the next 3 years.
Now if he could just run block.. oh wait..

That's great news. I thought there were rumors the team wanted to part ways and I was not looking forward to being in potential kicker hell.

The only rumor I have heard is about punter, not PK. I’ve heard they were highly motivated to resign Fairbairn, but the amount they want to invest in a punter may not be enough to get the Aussie to resign with the Texans.

In any event, I’m pumped about Fairbairn. I don’t exactly know where he slots, but he’s arguably in the top 25% imo and he puts points on the board consistently. Only concern is he has had a tendency to have some nagging injuries.

Ok Nick, next call is to JG. Let’s get er done!

The only rumor I have heard is about punter, not PK. I’ve heard they were highly motivated to resign Fairbairn, but the amount they want to invest in a punter may not be enough to get the Aussie to resign with the Texans.

In any event, I’m pumped about Fairbairn. I don’t exactly know where he slots, but he’s arguably in the top 25% imo and he puts points on the board consistently. Only concern is he has had a tendency to have some nagging injuries.

I think that makes him the 4th or 5th highest paid? Well deserved imo. Super reliable from inside 50 and can still hit the long ones when needed from time to time. (Shoutout that 54 yard OT winner in Tennessee)

I like Johnston but punters kind of are a dime a dozen unless they're the absolute top ones whereas if you don't have a reliably good kicker like Fairbairn the game itself can be completely different.

Johnston has an absolutely monster leg but we saw some of his limitations (can't spot kick if Fairbairn is injured for example). So while I'd like to have him back I wouldn't hate it whereas I would have dreaded not re-signing Fairbairn.

In the last 3 seasons:
Justin Tucker - 88.9% overall, 64% from 50+
Ka'imi Fairbairn - 91% overall, 83.3% from 50+

I think that makes him the 4th or 5th highest paid? Well deserved imo. Super reliable from inside 50 and can still hit the long ones when needed from time to time. (Shoutout that 54 yard OT winner in Tennessee)

I like Johnston but punters kind of are a dime a dozen unless they're the absolute top ones whereas if you don't have a reliably good kicker like Fairbairn the game itself can be completely different.

Johnston has an absolutely monster leg but we saw some of his limitations (can't spot kick if Fairbairn is injured for example). So while I'd like to have him back I wouldn't hate it whereas I would have dreaded not re-signing Fairbairn.

Spot on. My gut tells me they let Johnston test the market, and more likely than not, he gets a better offer and splits. A good punter is important, but he has also been injury-prone. He apparently cannot be the emergency PK, and when he did come back from his injury, he was good but not great. It seemed like he had lost a bit of something.

If it's reasonable, sure. Bring him back, but I wouldn't back up the Brinks truck.

In the last 3 seasons:
Justin Tucker - 88.9% overall, 64% from 50+
Ka'imi Fairbairn - 91% overall, 83.3% from 50+

I think you have to account for consistency and availability in that ranking. He might arguably crack the top 5, but nobody in their right mind would take Fairbairn straight up against Tucker who is likely headed for the HOF when he retires.

I think you have to account for consistency and availability in that ranking. He might arguably crack the top 5, but nobody in their right mind would take Fairbairn straight up against Tucker who is likely headed for the HOF when he retires.
Maybe so, but if I missed out on getting a Tucker, I'm perfectly fine with Ka'imi.

And I gave you last 3 years stats, if you take it back another year:
Tucker - 89.0%, 63.3% 50+
Ka'imi - 89.9%, 79.2% 50+
Career from 50+:
Tucker 68.2%
Ka'imi 72.5%

So I don't think one would be out of their mind to take Fairbairn over Tucker. Tucker has been around longer and has the reputation, but Fairbairn has flat out been the better kicker over the last 4 years, especially from 50+.

Spot on. My gut tells me they let Johnston test the market, and more likely than not, he gets a better offer and splits. A good punter is important, but he has also been injury-prone. He apparently cannot be the emergency PK, and when he did come back from his injury, he was good but not great. It seemed like he had lost a bit of something.

If it's reasonable, sure. Bring him back, but I wouldn't back up the Brinks truck.
You gonna pay someone "great" - if you can get one.

Maybe so, but if I missed out on getting a Tucker, I'm perfectly fine with Ka'imi.

And I gave you last 3 years stats, if you take it back another year:
Tucker - 89.0%, 63.3% 50+
Ka'imi - 89.9%, 79.2% 50+
Career from 50+:
Tucker 68.2%
Ka'imi 72.5%

So I don't think one would be out of their mind to take Fairbairn over Tucker. Tucker has been around longer and has the reputation, but Fairbairn has flat out been the better kicker over the last 4 years, especially from 50+.

To be fair, Tucker has to play in a stadium.

Hopefully, we won't often need a punter. I really like the FA signings of Schultz and Fairbarin so far. I would really like to keep Rankins, Greenard and Cashman but the pie is only so big - I think we lose Greenard and Cashman.

I just can't get away from Eric murray! I know he is cheap and knows the system but sheesh. I expected Desmond King and Khalil Davis to return. Will be interesting to see how cornerback Boyd does.

The Texans have agreed to one-year deal with ex-jag Foley Fatukasi, I think this a great depth signing. He lines up as a NT and has played with DC Burke before, so he's already familiar with the system. I always feel getting reasonable vets in an area of need works out for a couple of reasons. He takes some of the pressure off of the position in the draft, but doesn't limit a high selection. He could stand in as a starter while a rookie gets his feet wet, and certainly makes for a great rotation player. And finally, he gives the Texans a better floor when they are negotiating with Rankins.

The Texans have agreed to one-year deal with ex-jag Foley Fatukasi, I think this a great depth signing. He lines up as a NT and has played with DC Burke before, so he's already familiar with the system. I always feel getting reasonable vets in an area of need works out for a couple of reasons. He takes some of the pressure off of the position in the draft, but doesn't limit a high selection. He could stand in as a starter while a rookie gets his feet wet, and certainly makes for a great rotation player. And finally, he gives the Texans a better floor when they are negotiating with Rankins.
Although he has not missed many games in the last 3 yrs, he has been dealing with a myriad of soft tissue issues which have definitely cause negative performance issues.

Back