Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

OK, I pulled these PFF stats last night but decided not to post unless further interest was shown. Amos, based on his stats, could be an upgrade over Pitre but what are the chances he would be replaced?

I wasn't aware of Amos' overall ranking.

Pitre has 637 snaps
Amos has 264 snaps

...........................Pitre...........Amos
Def grade..........55.8...........72.7
Run defense.....59.0...........88.0
Tackling............41.5...........72.2
Coverage..........55.3............61.0
Missed T%........19.1%.........7.7%
Targeted...........20...............10
Receptions.......13...............6
Rec %................65.0%.........60.0%
Int......................0.................0
TDs....................1.................0
PBU....................2.................2

Amos appears to be a significantly better tackler and in run defense; and only slightly superior in coverage.

It's going to be interesting to see how he fits in. But a dang good signing.

Adrian "Smash" Amos was good for a few years in Green Bay, but Gute was proven correct in getting rid of him when he did. He has nothing left.

High quality individual though, love Smash.
I can understand your comment. Amos had a down year in 2022. Seems to have rebounded just a little this year, although not to his good years before 2022. We'll see what Ryans can get out of him in our playoff drive. I like what Badboy suggested, playing him in a rotational role. He's only 30, so should have a few years left in his tank.

Considering Murray, MJ Stewart, and Grayland Arnold are on IR, and Ward is an injury risk - this is a great pickup IMHO. The safety depth was paper-thin and there's nobody sitting on the couch that can come close to Amos imho. Even if he's not the player he once was, it's all about what he can be today. I don't see him starting (sans injury), but I do see him as the immediate 3rd guy playing ahead of Houston-Carson, who now becomes the 4th and final safety on the roster.

I like it a lot, and he'll prove his value as he finds his groove and place within the defense over the coming weeks. I expect he'll get some reps...fairly limited in number... as soon as this Sunday, but I'd expect more reps as he settles in.

No. Rotate him with Ward but wouldn't replace Pitre. IMO, Pitre shouldn't come out unless winded.
Ward knows Ryans defense like the back of his hand. He's going to play if healthy. Apparently we've found another poster that doesn't appreciate what Ward brings to the table. A guy that helps get the secondary lined up in the right spots. Is a good tackler and a play maker like at the end of the Broncos game. Yeah let's rotate this guy. SMH, Play makers always need to be on the field. In what world right now is Petrie better than Ward?

Last edited:
I could see this. Ward grades very high, even higher than Amos, in run defense. But has poorer grades in Coverage than Pitre and Amos.
I'm glad Ward was back there in the endzone to seal a Texans win last Sunday. Sunday was the 1st game that the intended starting secondary played together. That's why they looked much improved. No need to change what worked.

BTW, who's doing the grading? PFF? LMAO

Last edited:

Teair Tart was a starting DT for the Titans. Released at his request by the team. Team states lack of effort and poor attitude. Player claims disgruntled by contract. He was a key interior DL for the Titans last couple seasons and #2 in PFF’s run stop rate last season for what it’s worth.

Enjoy Caserio taking advantage of that waiver wire position this season. He has not been shy about adding talent when available. The DL alone has added Myjai Sanders, Derek Barnett and now Tart.

Barnett looked solid on Sunday, have not seen much out of Sanders. Hopefully Tart can be a dependable interior DL for the stretch run.

Teair Tart was a starting DT for the Titans. Released at his request by the team. Team states lack of effort and poor attitude. Player claims disgruntled by contract. He was a key interior DL for the Titans last couple seasons and #2 in PFF’s run stop rate last season for what it’s worth.

Enjoy Caserio taking advantage of that waiver wire position this season. He has not been shy about adding talent when available. The DL alone has added Myjai Sanders, Derek Barnett and now Tart.

Barnett looked solid on Sunday, have not seen much out of Sanders. Hopefully Tart can be a dependable interior DL for the stretch run.
Not even counting being disgruntled with his compensation, conditioning has always been a problem for him........resulting in limited snaps.

Not even counting being disgruntled with his compensation, conditioning has always been a problem for him........resulting in limited snaps.
I guess as a pick-up to add into an already established rotation there’s no problem with that, I’d guess it will be a wake up call to his career that he got cut and we’ll see if he has it in him to come to training camp in condition to make something of his potential.

I guess as a pick-up to add into an already established rotation there’s no problem with that, I’d guess it will be a wake up call to his career that he got cut and we’ll see if he has it in him to come to training camp in condition to make something of his potential.
If he can give the IDL 15-20 snaps a game of quality play that would be huge. Having a proven run stopper to go along with Collins and Rankins is a major upgrade over the Hinish's of the world.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

Tart when the Texans were leaving.

It's a pretty easy low risk move. The only risk would be to give him his next contract and that will be heavily dependent on how he performs in the coming weeks.

Back