Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans Player Transaction DISCUSSION Thread

close
I'm surprised the Texans couldn't do that
ESPN had it wrong I guess...

Good to see Nick is not just throwing dollars after players. Still waiting for him to sign a impactful move

It'd be nice to see him getting players though. Yeah, you've got to build a team and you can't have 53 Pro Bowlers, but you do have to have some playmakers. A freak ton of cap space and we start it off re-signing Eric Murray and bringing back Lonnie Johnson? Those aren't playmakers.

It'd be nice to see him getting players though. Yeah, you've got to build a team and you can't have 53 Pro Bowlers, but you do have to have some playmakers. A freak ton of cap space and we start it off re-signing Eric Murray and bringing back Lonnie Johnson? Those aren't playmakers.
Agree but it's still just 3 hours into first day of announcing signings. I too was hoping for an announcement of Trent Brown or saquon Barkley or Derrick Henry.

Have y’all seen some of the contracts these players are signing? Like Greenard’s is what? 76 mil. He’s not worth that. Just because you have money burning a hole in your pocket doesn’t NOT mean that you have to overpay.

All these first day signings absolutely reek of desperation. I’m glad Casserio is not participating.

B/c of the cash we had to spend and the interest we drew from several top FA's in the market...and to sign the garbage we have...is underwhelming and actually VERY DISAPPOINTING
So... you have no faith in DeMeco?

Have y’all seen some of the contracts these players are signing? Like Greenard’s is what? 76 mil. He’s not worth that. Just because you have money burning a hole in your pocket doesn’t NOT mean that you have to overpay.

All these first day signings absolutely reek of desperation. I’m glad Casserio is not participating.
It reeks of complacency.

It reeks of complacency.

It reeks of “building through the draft.”

Which smells good to me.

With our first-place schedule it may very well be too tough to match last years record.
Yep, and not adding top tier talent when they had the chance will be the culprit. It seems that they may be resting on their laurels from last yr. Meanwhile there will be less cupcakes on the schedule next yr.

49ers didn't do a bunch of overpaying on the first day of the tampering period
Look at what they've done in the past.

Hargrave/Trent Williams/Ward/McCaffrey etc...

When they've had the cap space they've spent the money to upgrade their roster. The Texans not so much, Oh well at least now they will have room to extend Collins in addition to the annual dumpster diving FA event.

Good teams build through the draft and supplement their teams by adding great players in FA and trades. Look at the 49ers as an example.

Where are all the great players we are passing on?

I would say good teams don’t over spend on players and get into cap hell or trade for players that handicap a team.

I am looking at both Denver and Cleveland. And Carolina. And the Jets. And Miami. (Yea Tyreek - great signing but what have they done?) The Patriots went on a spending spree last season and it didn’t amount to much. Same for Jags.

I prefer to wait to see the team in the regular season before making judgements.

I would say good teams don’t over spend on players and get into cap hell or trade for players that handicap a team.

I am looking at both Denver and Cleveland. And Carolina. And the Jets. And Miami. (Yea Tyreek - great signing but what have they done?) The Patriots went on a spending spree last season and it didn’t amount to much. Same for Jags.

I prefer to wait to see the team in the regular season before making judgements.

Look at what teams like the Eagles/49ers/Bills/even to an extent the Chiefs etc... have done building their teams and tell me what the Texans are doing that looks comparable? Until the Texans org uses all avenues to get the best players they possibly can on this team then put me down as skeptical. Pinching pennies is just that. pinching pennies.

Yep, and not adding top tier talent when they had the chance will be the culprit. It seems that they may be resting on their laurels from last yr. Meanwhile there will be less cupcakes on the schedule next yr.
You are right Casserio hasn't made a "big" move yet.
I dunno but who were you expecting him to acquire by now, i.e. who did Nick miss on who you really wanted ?

Good teams build through the draft and supplement their teams by adding great players in FA and trades. Look at the 49ers as an example.
49ers drafted well for a time, but obviously they missed on some also. I mean look at Solomon Thomas, Greenlaw and a few others. They signed Hargrave who wasn't good last year and now they have to cut Armstead who has been avg for the last 4 years despite making 17m per. People forget they had 30 free agents including 10 starters. They have to fill that in as well as add to it. With all these additions by other teams, players are going to get cut. Also with the draft, more players will get cut also.

So... you have no faith in DeMeco?
I have faith in Demeco...always have...what I dont have faith in is penny pinching and signing scrubs that are worse scrubs at CB than the ones on your team that your willing to let go. Is that on Demeco or on Caserios since he negotiates contracts???

Yeah, sure, it's day 1, and we seem to always have to be making these excuses playing this game, but the Texans have lost a starting RB, starting DE, starting LB and a punter and picked up a couple of special teamers and an aging starting DL.

A lot still out there, sure, and I get not wanting to overpay in the 1st wave, blah, blah, blah, it's just that on top of the needs you already had, you've now got more needs to address. We'll just build in the draft? OK, well, not every draft is going to be like last year's. The draft is still a huge crapshoot. Sometimes you hit, most times you don't.

We'll see how it plays out like we always do. It's just a very underwhelming 1st day is all.

The very same people who are crying rivers that Casserio is not participating in this first day free agent overpayment frenzy, are the very same people will be crying rivers about all the dead money after the overpaid players are cut.

Last time I checked, Casserio is the GM, not Casserly.

49ers drafted well for a time, but obviously they missed on some also. I mean look at Solomon Thomas, Greenlaw and a few others. They signed Hargrave who wasn't good last year and now they have to cut Armstead who has been avg for the last 4 years despite making 17m per. People forget they had 30 free agents including 10 starters. They have to fill that in as well as add to it. With all these additions by other teams, players are going to get cut. Also with the draft, more players will get cut also.
The Best Texans fans can hope for now is to sign Henry on the cheap, bring in Al Shaair and one or two of the FA safeties. Then have a great draft.

As of right now Murphy/Sweat have to be very high on their boards. Hopefully they bring back Barnett and Autry keeps playing at his current level or better. They aren't in terrible shape. But the 1st day of FA has been very underwhelming. No difference makers. Caserio has put himself in a spot where he needs to nail the draft again.

The very same people who are crying rivers that Casserio is not participating in this first day free agent overpayment frenzy, are the very same people will be crying rivers about all the dead money after the overpaid players are cut.

Last time I checked, Casserio is the GM, not Casserly.
If you're referring to me, I'm not that guy. I'm a risk taker and so what if they fail. Take your shot and in 3 yrs most of these guys will be gone anyways because you're going to need the money to keep Stroud and you know Vidad Mrof het gtteho (Word scramble and within forum rules scamble them however you would like) are going to hold the McNair's hostage (again) and squeeze every last dollar they can out of the cap. But hey, now there aren't any excuses not to extend Nico.

I have faith in Demeco...always have...what I dont have faith in is penny pinching and signing scrubs that are worse scrubs at CB than the ones on your team that your willing to let go. Is that on Demeco or on Caserios since he negotiates contracts???
It's an organizational philosophy that's been passed down through the generations of Texans ownership.

Yep, FA is young and the draft is still weeks away.

I dunno but who were you expecting him to acquire by now, i.e. who did Nick miss on who you really wanted ?

Have you noticed that nobody is stepping forward to answer that question?

The Vikings are going to absolutely regret that Greenard contract.

I think that the build through the draft part of “Build through the draft and supplement with talented but expensive free agents isn’t quite so far along as it needed to be to start burning cash. We have a division champions schedule, still need more depth and depth built on rookie contracts before it makes sense to pay “whatever it takes” to get the guy who puts you over the top.

I think that the build through the draft part of “Build through the draft and supplement with talented but expensive free agents isn’t quite so far along as it needed to be to start burning cash. We have a division champions schedule, still need more depth and depth built on rookie contracts before it makes sense to pay “whatever it takes” to get the guy who puts you over the top.

So we go from 3 wins to 10 in 1 season and you don’t think we can handle a 1st place schedule in season 2? I wouldn’t call that progress if that’s the case. I think the burning cash thing is a little overblown anyway. The cap goes up every year and teams find ways to make it work regardless. Besides, what’s the point of being in a position of having a ton of cap space if you’re not going to spend it on some playmakers/quality starters and spend it on depth instead?

Back