Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans PFF Post Playoff Loss Mock Draft

Ah, I didn't realize that...
I wonder if he needs surgery in the off season or just needs time to heal?
If he can come back healthy it will make a big difference for him to play with confidence again.
Tunsil has never lacked confidence

Checkout Ennis Rakstraw CB Missouri, he's from Duncanville and he's a low 1st/mid 2nd rd guy IMHO.

Teams got to the point where they didn't even throw at him by seasons end. Very talented dude.

I need help evaluating CB's. Thoughts?

About Rakstraw, a podcast I listen to mentioned he tended to grab guys once he was beat instead of trusting his recovery speed. Concern being that he might be draw more flags at the next level or lacks the recovery speed all together.

Jer’Zhan Newton is my favorite player for the Texans in this draft. Problem is, he’s top 10 pick. Reason enough to do whatever it takes to select him. Very explosive and violent with his hands, his 10 yard split might beat Aaron Donald’s 1.63. Going to be a elite, havoc wrecking DT for long time.

Sweat (Texas) is probably the same type of player, only he might be on the board at 23 or a little later. Texans could trade back while picking up another strong pick.

Jer’Zhan Newton is my favorite player for the Texans in this draft. Problem is, he’s top 10 pick. Reason enough to do whatever it takes to select him. Very explosive and violent with his hands, his 10 yard split might beat Aaron Donald’s 1.63. Going to be a elite, havoc wrecking DT for long time.

Love this guy.

I've seen him fall to 15-18 in some mock drafts because of his size. I would consider trading up for him if he falls. Closest thing to Donald that I've seen. You called Donald being a great player and Newton is going to be a great player too.

Good job

Love this guy.

I've seen him fall to 15-18 in some mock drafts because of his size. I would consider trading up for him if he falls. Closest thing to Donald that I've seen. You called Donald being a great player and Newton is going to be a great player too.

Good job
I tend to see him going to Chicago. Think they will start cashing in their chips. Trade Fields for a 1st and take Caleb #1 overall. Then make up for trading with Philadelphia and losing out on Carter by taking Newton.

I tend to see him going to Chicago. Think they will start cashing in their chips. Trade Fields for a 1st and take Caleb #1 overall. Then make up for trading with Philadelphia and losing out on Carter by taking Newton.
That's a little rich don't you think? Fields still has potential but do you think someone would give up more than a 3rd for him? I would go all offensive skill players with the first couple of picks. Last year they went all defense on day 2 and picked 2 IDL (Gervon Dexter and Zacch Pickens) and 1 CB (Tyrique Stevenson)...but it's the draft and you never know.

Fields was best in his class, was he not?

There's just no way that Ryan Poles can pass on CJ Stroud one year and Caleb Williams the next.

So, Fields will pay off for another team. Don’t count out the Jets. Wilson now Rodgers are total bust moves. Freakin surprised Joe Douglas was not fired!

Atlanta seems like his best fit. So Falcons leverage 8th pick in 2024 draft (re-negotiate Fields contract) and turn back into relevancy. Fields - Pitts - Robinson form a dynamic trifecta.

Last edited:
This is what I got on the NFLDraftBuzz mock draft:

23. Byron Murphy (DL)
59. Blake Corum (RB)
85. Cade Stover (TE)
123. Kris Abams-Draine (CB)
127. Luke McCaffrey (WR)
164. Tommy Eicherberg (LB)
239. Kitan Oladapo (S)
248. Eric Gentry (LB)

Using the PFF three-round mock, I got:

23. Byron Murphy
59. Kam Kinchens (S)
85. Blake Corum (RB)

So let me get this straight, we draft a record setting franchise QB that us as far into the playoffs as we have ever been while behind a patchwork oLine, and the first you want to do is trade away the only pro bowl player on that oLine who shut down the likely DPotY and allowed only 5 sacks all year.

This trade doesn't even move us into the top 10 and in no way would ever let us get a player of equal skill and value.

View attachment 13527
Laremy Tunsil was drafted #13 in 2016,

That's a little rich don't you think? Fields still has potential but do you think someone would give up more than a 3rd for him? I would go all offensive skill players with the first couple of picks. Last year they went all defense on day 2 and picked 2 IDL (Gervon Dexter and Zacch Pickens) and 1 CB (Tyrique Stevenson)...but it's the draft and you never know.
Why would I propose this trade if I didn't believe it's a possibility?

Plenty of examples including one Deshaun Watson, who is on the decline not ascending like Fields.

I really like your mock there, but if MHJr falls like this I would be trading some draft picks to move up for him. Would #23, #59 and a 1st next year be too much for him?
It’s too early to take much stock in where players fall to even consider trades. Just focused on big picture believe DeMeco’s building up front on defense and premium RB (2nd round gives you shot @ RB1). This draft would give Texans DL second to none. They have Jalen Green listed as a S but he will actually give Texans another pass rushing weapon. Think he had 16 1/2 sacks or something (smaller version of Parsons). Wanted kicker out of Iowa but he was taken earlier. McNamara is graded out higher on PFF.

Laremy Tunsil was drafted #13 in 2016,
Tunsil was widely regarded as the best player in that draft. He only fell to 1-13 because of the gas mask incident and even then it took him a couple of yrs to get to the level of a trustworthy blindside protector. I remember the grief I caught on this MB for wanting RS to trade up from the mid 20's to 10 or so and pick Tunsil. Looking back on things not trading up and DB wanting to be traded lead to the downfall of the franchise.

Last edited:

There's just no way that Ryan Poles can pass on CJ Stroud one year and Caleb Williams the next.

So, Fields will pay off for another team. Don’t count out the Jets. Wilson now Rodgers are total bust moves. Freakin surprised Joe Douglas was not fired!

Atlanta seems like his best fit. So Falcons leverage 8th pick in 2024 draft (re-negotiate Fields contract) and turn back into relevancy. Fields - Pitts - Robinson form a dynamic trifecta.
So you think Fields is going to be like Brady and Mahomes, he's going to win a championship within the next 4 yrs? I'm of the belief a QB has only a 7 to 8 yr window to win a championship before he eats up too much cap space to have the players around him to win a championship.

Best in his class? Huh? You do realize that Trevor Lawrence was also in that draft class right? I never bought into the Lawrence hype but he was and is a far better QB than Fields. I agree Fields is a better QB than Zach Wilson and the jury is still out on Lance but to say he was best in his class is grasping at invisible straws. As for the Jets, Wilson is a bust yeah but that is just luck of the dice on that one as he was drafted pretty much around where he was expected to go and Jets didn't reach for him they drafted him right where they should with the number 2 pick and Lawrence off the board. Around 50% of 1st rounds picks are busts so again just bad luck.

To say the Rodgers trade is a bust is way to soon seeing as he got injured before anyone had a chance to see how that would work out. It could have been a Russel Wilson situation where the team regressed or it could have been a Tom Brady situation where Rodgers just needed a team around him to show he could still play at a high level. Again his injury was bad luck although I don't let the Jets completely off the hook as that field is legendary for injuring players and it was only a matter of time before it bit the Jets in a big way. They should have fixed it long ago.

Reactions: JB
Best in his class? Huh? You do realize that Trevor Lawrence was also in that draft class right? I never bought into the Lawrence hype but he was and is a far better QB than Fields. I agree Fields is a better QB than Zach Wilson and the jury is still out on Lance but to say he was best in his class is grasping at invisible straws. As for the Jets, Wilson is a bust yeah but that is just luck of the dice on that one as he was drafted pretty much around where he was expected to go and Jets didn't reach for him they drafted him right where they should with the number 2 pick and Lawrence off the board. Around 50% of 1st rounds picks are busts so again just bad luck.

To say the Rodgers trade is a bust is way to soon seeing as he got injured before anyone had a chance to see how that would work out. It could have been a Russel Wilson situation where the team regressed or it could have been a Tom Brady situation where Rodgers just needed a team around him to show he could still play at a high level. Again his injury was bad luck although I don't let the Jets completely off the hook as that field is legendary for injuring players and it was only a matter of time before it bit the Jets in a big way. They should have fixed it long ago.
Jury still out on Lance, seriously?

Thats more laughable 😂 look what almighty 49’ers gave up to get him. Then Mr. Irrelevant replaced him and took them to two NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. Man you’re tripping. You’re probably one of those guys who thinks Brock Purdy is just coasting of the elite cast of players around him, that he’s average @ best 😂

Then why didn’t it work out for Lance? Sure he got injured, but so did Brock.

Trevor Lawrence, the Generational QB too right? Not buying proclamation that either. Zack Wilson the #2 overall pick (other than one game, against the Texans) was otherwise, historically horrible. The other QB 49’ers wanted, selected 15th overall Mack Jones out of that vaunted QB production lab Alabama, looked like a Brock Purdy clone, only his first year and lost his starting gig to a kid named Zappe.

Justin Fields, drafted 11th overall was put into the worst situation possible. Bears traded out of #1 overall last year and have the #1 overall again. Not Fields fault, it’s a combination of total roster reconstruction and poor coaching scheme. If you watch his tape he flashes similar to Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray. He just needs complimentary players, better coaching and scheme tailored for him.

If Chicago can figure this out, flip 1st overall for #2 maybe even flip again 2 for 3 pick up enormously huge war chest of draft capital, then select Marvin Harrison Jr. LETS GO DA’BEARS!!!

Last edited:
Jury is still out on Lance? Thats more laughable 😂 look what the almighty 49’ers gave up to get him. Then Mr. Irrelevant replaced him and too them to two NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. Man you’re tripping. You’re probably one of those guys who thinks Brock Purdy is just coasting of the elite cast of players around him, that he’s average @ best?

Then why didn’t it work out for Lance? Sure he got injured, but so did Brock.

Trevor Lawrence, the Generational QB too right? Not buying the that acclimation either. Zack Wilson the #2 overall pick (other than one game, against the Texans) is otherwise historically horrible. The other QB 49’ers wanted, selected 15th overall Mack Jones out of that vaunted QB production lab Alabama, looked like a Brock Purdy clone, only his first year and lost his starting gig to a kid named Zappe.

Justin Fields, drafted 11th overall was put into the worst situation possible. Bears traded out of #1 overall last year and have the #1 overall again. Not Fields fault, it’s a combination of total roster reconstruction and poor coaching scheme. If you watch his tape he flashes similar to Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray. He just needs complimentary players, better coaching and scheme tailored for him.

If Chicago can figure this out, flip 1st overall for #2 maybe even flip again 2 for 3 pick up enormously huge war chest of draft capital, then select Marvin Harrison Jr. LETS GO DA’BEARS!!!

Making a lot of assumptions there captain. First I never said anything about Purdy and no I don't think he is "coasting". I think he is doing his job as SF's QB. Not every team needs a QB to be like Stroud and put the whole game on his shoulders and win it with his arm. Sometimes teams need the QB to be like Manning in Denver and just manage the game. Whatever SF needs Purdy to do he is doing it well enough so yeah he is doing his job in my book.

But since you brought it up you really have a bad habit of painting oranges red and saying now we can compare them to apples. Lance played a total of 9 games his whole NFL career. His rookie season had 6 where he only had a couple of games as the starter and was injured and then his second season he only had 1 full game and then was out for the season during game 2. Oh and many of those games he was only in for 1 or 2 plays like his first game against Detroit where they had him in for 1 play to throw a 5 yard pass. So you are ready to declare a QB a bust after only 9 games he has played in, not the starter or even significate play, just games played in? By that line of thinking CJ's rookie year must be what you consider normal for a rookie huh. Purdy on the hand has had 25 games played in so more than double the number Lance has. So which one of us is tripping?

Second you also have a bad habit of skipping over things people say that don't support your narrative. I said I never bought into the hype about Lawrence being a generational talent but yeah you go look at a side by side comparison and Lawrence is better and that was with Urban Meyer as his rookie HC. Not saying Fields has had great coaching but he hasn't had Urban Meyer bad. And before you go declaring Fields to be the next great QB you might want to read this article.

Now I don't know if Fields will be good or not, he has flashed this is true but its also true that he has belly flopped as well. Without a doubt there is some QB desperate team that would love to have him but the fact is he just isn't good enough at this time to warrant a big trade package.

If we're not willing to acquire serious protection for CJ Stroud, it would behoove us to trade him to a team who would appreciate and protect him. You see, he's so pure, he believes that our goals are as honest as his .... we don't deserve him ! Where's Johnny F-ing Football when we need Him ? Makes me sick !

You can’t possibly say Lance wasn’t a bust for the 49’ers? End of discussion.

Oh wow, well if you said end of discussion I guess that means you win right? Dang why didn't I think of that, I could win any back in forth in the world if I just said "End of discussion" you have opened my eyes to a whole new world. So in other words you can't refute my points so you are taking your ball and going home, got it. Thanks for playing.

Oh wow, well if you said end of discussion I guess that means you win right? Dang why didn't I think of that, I could win any back in forth in the world if I just said "End of discussion" you have opened my eyes to a whole new world. So in other words you can't refute my points so you are taking your ball and going home, got it. Thanks for playing.

When the #3 overall pick is traded for a 4th round pick while still on his rookie contract, you can call that player a bust for the team that drafted him.

Reactions: JB
When the #3 overall pick is traded for a 4th round pick while still on his rookie contract, you can call that player a bust for the team that drafted him.

I call it a knee jerk reaction by the 49ers. They didn't know what they had in Lance and I would have kept him as a backup at least to see how he develops. As I said he has only played 9 games and many of those were for just a couple of plays. Think he may have like 5 that he was the starter and finished. I agree its not ideal for the #3 overall to be this way but to me them trading him for a 4th was just trying to clear roster space or end the who will start debate.

Trick is in your settings. Most mock platforms that are free, don’t offer variety of options. PFF does but costs. Sometimes when I get frustrated can’t reach target, manipulate settings. It’s also way too early. I like to track a certain group of prospects to see if they rise or fall in process, also validate a trade up as draft gets close and player rankings become defined.

Right now there are 5 or 6 players I’d be excited if available #23. Free Agency will be huge factor determining exactly who is BPA.

It’s funny how time, changes pecking order, new structure in front offices, teams ever changing big boards can cause even best players to fall. Very confident Texans can just stay put and let best player fall to them. Even Jer’Zhan Newton. So I wouldn’t be in a hurry to pay up for one of the big FA DT’S and find bargain in someone like DJ Reader.

It’s funny how time, changes pecking order, new structure in front offices, teams ever changing big boards can cause even best players to fall. Very confident Texans can just stay put and let best player fall to them. Even Jer’Zhan Newton. So I wouldn’t be in a hurry to pay up for one of the big FA DT’S and find bargain in someone like DJ Reader.

I would be very happy if they paid one of the big name FA DT's and Newton fell to them. Re-sign Barnett and make a deal at the deadline. The 5 guys I really like that I've been told by some of the draftniks wont be there are 1. Mitchell 2. Newton 3. Thomas 4. Chop 5. DeJean, I'm betting one of these guys are available at 1-23.

team logo

HOU

Byron Murphy II
    DT Texas
    HOU

T'Vondre Sweat
    DT Texas
    HOU

Payton Wilson
    LB NC State
    HOU

Theo Johnson
    TE Penn State
    HOU

Ricky Pearsall
    WR Florida

Or flip positions around, which would you prefer?

HOU

Keon Coleman
    WR Florida State
    HOU

Ladd McConkey
    WR Georgia
    HOU

Braden Fiske
    DT Florida State
    HOU

Theo Johnson
    TE Penn State
    HOU

Mekhi Wingo
  • DT LSU

HOU

Keon Coleman
    WR Florida State
    HOU

Ladd McConkey
    WR Georgia
    HOU

Braden Fiske
    DT Florida State
    HOU

Theo Johnson
    TE Penn State
    HOU

Mekhi Wingo
  • DT LSU
I'd be against WRs with the first 2 picks. Not crazy about doubling up on DTs either. I do think all of the picks represent good value though.

HOU

Keon Coleman
    WR Florida State
    HOU

Ladd McConkey
    WR Georgia
    HOU

Braden Fiske
    DT Florida State
    HOU

Theo Johnson
    TE Penn State
    HOU

Mekhi Wingo
  • DT LSU
I wouldn't mind doubling down on the positions but I wouldn't do it in the first two rounds like that. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this..

1708289576514.png

Back