Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans PFF Post Playoff Loss Mock Draft

In 2024, Tunsil will earn a base salary of $18,000,000 and a workout bonus of $150,000, while carrying a cap hit of $25,855,870 and a dead cap value of $40,500,000. So will be seeking even more money next contract. He’s a false starting machine, and average run blocker. Take one premium draft slot while you can, adjust the books for 2025 and have his replacement already in the pipeline.

In 2024, Tunsil will earn a base salary of $18,000,000 and a workout bonus of $150,000, while carrying a cap hit of $25,855,870 and a dead cap value of $40,500,000. So will be seeking even more money next contract. He’s a false starting machine, and average run blocker. Take one premium draft slot while you can, adjust the books for 2025 and have his replacement already in the pipeline.

So let me get this straight, we draft a record setting franchise QB that us as far into the playoffs as we have ever been while behind a patchwork oLine, and the first you want to do is trade away the only pro bowl player on that oLine who shut down the likely DPotY and allowed only 5 sacks all year.

This trade doesn't even move us into the top 10 and in no way would ever let us get a player of equal skill and value.

1705848489924.png

Pinch those pennies until they scream.

So let me get this straight, we draft a record setting franchise QB that us as far into the playoffs as we have ever been while behind a patchwork oLine, and the first you want to do is trade away the only pro bowl player on that oLine who shut down the likely DPotY and allowed only 5 sacks all year.

This trade doesn't even move us into the top 10 and in no way would ever let us get a player of equal skill and value.

View attachment 13527
OL is overaged/overpaid (Tunsil, Mason, Howard- unavailable & overpaid) let’s not get into Greene. CJ needs better, more athletic, quicker and snot kicking run blockers. JC Latham is a step in right direction and seriously, generational TE, trade would definitely move Houston in Top 10.

Well, you addressed the TE position with Bowers, Stover and Nesbit. In your scenario I'm probably drafting Keon Coleman or Rome Odunze at 13 and then going OT/DE at 23.
If Bowers falls to 1-15 I'm looking at trading up for him and picking the best WR available in the 3rd. I'm liking Ainias Smith there. If Caserio goes this route he needs to get a RB in fa and hopefully a guy like Wright from Tennessee falls to the 4th.

Play makers that are threats too score any time they touch the ball is what this team is missing.

If Bowers falls to 1-15 I'm looking at trading up for him and picking the best WR available in the 3rd. I'm liking Ainias Smith there. If Caserio goes this route he needs to get a RB in fa and hopefully a guy like Wright from Tennessee falls to the 4th.

Play makers that are threats too score any time they touch the ball is what this team is missing.

A 3rd for Ainias Smith? I like the player but not in the 3rd and not to fill the playmaker role you’re looking for… he’s not that guy. Honestly, I doubt he’d beat out Hutchinson/Metchie for that WR 5/6 role they were in this season when the WRs were healthy. Those are the players he would be competing for playing time with and I like Hutch/Metchie’s chances better with an NFL offseason under their belts.

Frank Ross would find a way to use him though.

A 3rd for Ainias Smith? I like the player but not in the 3rd and not to fill the playmaker role you’re looking for… he’s not that guy. Honestly, I doubt he’d beat out Hutchinson/Metchie for that WR 5/6 role they were in this season when the WRs were healthy. Those are the players he would be competing for playing time with and I like Hutch/Metchie’s chances better with an NFL offseason under their belts.

Frank Ross would find a way to use him though.
I think he's this yrs Dell. Metchie and Hutch dont have the juice to be more than a 4th/5th WR in the NFL. I'm willing to give Metchie time because of his cancer. But CnD told us his lack of production is more likely related to his ACL injury.

Disagree. Don’t see a Tank Dell coming out this year. That’s not a slight on the prospects, you just have to recognize when you struck gold.

Dell is superior in every way as a prospect to Smith except the one category he always loses on (size).
Brenden Rice is another guy I'm looking at. A true X WR.

OL is overaged/overpaid (Tunsil, Mason, Howard- unavailable & overpaid) let’s not get into Greene. CJ needs better, more athletic, quicker and snot kicking run blockers. JC Latham is a step in right direction and seriously, generational TE, trade would definitely move Houston in Top 10.

So where are exactly are you going to get this better? Also how long are we going to have to wait for an entirely new oLine to learn to gel with each? Forget the whole line where are you getting a replacement for Tunsil. You do realize he is top 3, even number 1 some years, pass protector in the league right? Hey guess what CJ and the Texans do alot of, they pass.

I swear what is it with Texans fans trying to get their QBs killed. It's like some of you think Foster is still on the team and the run game is our bread and butter. It's not, we are a passing team and have been for almost a decade and we just use RBs to keep the defense on their toes and give the QB a break.

Tunsil isn't great at blocking the run, I don't care because you know what he is great at? Protecting CJs blind side.

If I'm DeMeco Ryan's I've got two primary issues we have to address in a big way.

I know it made DeMeco sick that he blitzed so much & didn't generate the pressure required to affect the game. It's been an issue all year & really showed itself in the Divisional round.

Same thing with running the ball. He's never been a part of any team that has not been able to run the ball, as a player or a coach.

I could buy the fact that we invested heavily in the OL last season & we may not address it personnel wise. So I'd be looking into getting a RB early in the draft, then again knowing the issue I'm surprised we didn't go after Dalvin Cook going into the playoffs.

So where are exactly are you going to get this better? Also how long are we going to have to wait for an entirely new oLine to learn to gel with each? Forget the whole line where are you getting a replacement for Tunsil. You do realize he is top 3, even number 1 some years, pass protector in the league right? Hey guess what CJ and the Texans do alot of, they pass.

I swear what is it with Texans fans trying to get their QBs killed. It's like some of you think Foster is still on the team and the run game is our bread and butter. It's not, we are a passing team and have been for almost a decade and we just use RBs to keep the defense on their toes and give the QB a break.

Tunsil isn't great at blocking the run, I don't care because you know what he is great at? Protecting CJs blind side.

BL has hated on Tunsil since the trade. Bottom line is he's a top 5 OT and those guys get paid. Tunsil played very well and tough considering he was playing with a knee that will probably need surgery this offseason. He's also not as bad a run blocker as the narrative some have said he is around these parts. Not great, but an avg run blocker.

If I'm DeMeco Ryan's I've got two primary issues we have to address in a big way.

I know it made DeMeco sick that he blitzed so much & didn't generate the pressure required to affect the game. It's been an issue all year & really showed itself in the Divisional round.

Same thing with running the ball. He's never been a part of any team that has not been able to run the ball, as a player or a coach.

I could buy the fact that we invested heavily in the OL last season & we may not address it personnel wise. So I'd be looking into getting a RB early in the draft, then again knowing the issue I'm surprised we didn't go after Dalvin Cook going into the playoffs.

As far as the blitzing. They did get 3 sacks on Lamar in the first half. Problem was the second half when the Ravens started off with 3 hot passes to beat the blitz and back the Texans off. Then they ran it down their throats the rest of the game. That second td drive that went 93 yards I think the first 8 of the 12 play td drive were runs. The Ravens made adjustments, the Texans did not. What I am interested in is whether they believe they have the personnel or need upgrades. Cannot have a team run at will and win playoff football. Texans run defense was good this year until they faced teams motivated to pound the rock (Taylor with Colts and Ravens in playoffs).

Agree on RB. Regarding Dalvin Cook, i’m wondering if there are issues with Cook the person that we aren’t privy to… Saleh let him walk. Johnson was on the Vikings coaching staff while Cook was there.

Or maybe Cook just preferred the opportunity with the Ravens all things being equal.

Both Henry and Barkley are coming up and I don't think either resigns. Grab either of those and the run game improves as does the run block.

As far as the blitzing. They did get 3 sacks on Lamar in the first half.
My problem & I think what makes DeMeco sick is that we had to blitz heavily to get pressure.
What I am interested in is whether they believe they have the personnel or need upgrades. Cannot have a team run at will and win playoff football.
I was told Rankins was a major upgrade & i believed a healthy Collins would make a difference. How much better do we need to get at those two spots & how likely is it? Or are we talking abouttherest of the rotation with Khalil Davis, Hinish, Tart & Ridgeway?
Agree on RB. Regarding Dalvin Cook, i’m wondering if there are issues with Cook the person that we aren’t privy to… Saleh let him walk. Johnson was on the Vikings coaching staff while Cook was there.
How bad could it be that they wouldn't bring him in for a 3 game rental when your other options (Pierce, Ogunbowale) have proven all season long to bring zip?

I think we're in agreement. Check out the mock draft I just did where I took Devontez Walker from North Carolina in the 3rd and Wright in the 4th. That would give us two playmakers with elite speed for this offense.

I think we're in agreement. Check out the mock draft I just did where I took Devontez Walker from North Carolina in the 3rd and Wright in the 4th. That would give us two playmakers with elite speed for this offense.
Cant wait to see how some of these guys run at the Combine.

My problem & I think what makes DeMeco sick is that we had to blitz heavily to get pressure.

I was told Rankins was a major upgrade & i believed a healthy Collins would make a difference. How much better do we need to get at those two spots & how likely is it? Or are we talking abouttherest of the rotation with Khalil Davis, Hinish, Tart & Ridgeway?

How bad could it be that they wouldn't bring him in for a 3 game rental when your other options (Pierce, Ogunbowale) have proven all season long to bring zip?

I think part of the idea of the blitz was to corral Jackson. They got pressure early without blitzing but then Jackson ran his way out of it. Once the blitzing started he’d try to run but the lane was taken by the blitzer.

Rankins was a major upgrade. Texans had the worst run defense in the league last season. This season only the best running teams could have success at it. But to have an elite defense you need an elite DT. And those guys aren’t game wreckers. The rotation could also use some competition and maybe they found it with Davis and Tart additions. Hinish flashed down the stretch as well but the whole group got pounded on against Colts/Ravens in the 2nd halves. Ridgeway needs to hang em up. He’s not going to be healthy.

Don’t ask me why Cook would choose the AFC #1 seed run heavy offense to take his talents to…

Applaud the effort but I am not a fan

Tunsil is a top 5 LT and while he isn’t the greatest run blocker, I attribute a lot of that to his injury this year. The false starts as well. And I don’t see Latham ever getting to his level

As for Bowers, some of Fans greatest throws this year were down the field and outside the numbers, very atypical area for a TE to operate. I don’t see the trade offering enough upside to pull the trigger

Applaud the effort but I am not a fan

Tunsil is a top 5 LT and while he isn’t the greatest run blocker, I attribute a lot of that to his injury this year. The false starts as well. And I don’t see Latham ever getting to his level

As for Bowers, some of Fans greatest throws this year were down the field and outside the numbers, very atypical area for a TE to operate. I don’t see the trade offering enough upside to pull the trigger

Tunsil is a finesse LT who likes to ride the DE around the pocket. When Stroud tries to escape the pocket and moves to his left, that’s usually when Tunsil’s man breaks off and manages to get pressure on CJ. Not a sack, but not a clean pocket either. He’s been a false start machine since his arrival…..and the worst part, those false starts always seem to be drive killers. While being completely honest, Tunsil has never been a run blocker. A better than average LG might be the best way to help make Tunsil look adequate in the run game. Tunsil cannot be moved this off-season b/c of money obligations, but 2025 might be a different story.

Bowers would be an awesome addition at TE, but so would Stover. Stover and CJ have a prior work relationship and familiarity with one another. This doesn’t guarantee anything but Stover is a complete TE, and the team wouldn’t need to trade up to select him.

Both Henry and Barkley are coming up and I don't think either resigns. Grab either of those and the run game improves as does the run block.
Alabama alum Josh Jacobs will be out there as well… All three are workhorse type RBs and this offense clearly wants to feed a workhorse.
Ekeler will also be available I believe

Understand investing heavily in the offensive line, I’m on board with that but not overpaying to point your limited cap wise which impacts quality depth, leaving Texans susceptible to injuries, which is exactly what transpired.

So this Mock addresses this critical weakness along with huge upgrade in TE room (imagine CJ with Bowers, c’mon man). Love Packers draft last year, selecting Musgrave in 2nd then Kraft in 3rd. Both productive as rookies and really helps in pass pro and downfield blocking, another weakness this Texans team struggled with.

DeMeco will most certainly want to address interior of DL with youth & talent. Kris Jenkins would be a very valuable long term, cheaper run stopper who can penetrate helping defense get back to controlling line of scrimmage with just four. Then there is that depth thing, which seems to happen at worst of times.

Possible bell cow RB on a cheap rookie deal to compliment Singletary huge assist to CJ. Afraid Pierce is just not a fit in this offense, and cannot watch Pitre with his short armed, small hands let picks slip between his fingers so added a big athletic Safety to replace him as well. Also done with Fairbairn, looked like he was hampered with nagging injury, missing extra point last week and FG yesterday. If he can’t stay healthy we need to move on, spending a 7th on kicker who is better also upgrade.

This Mock is a reflection of my feelings fresh off loss to the Baltimore Ravens, who I wish well (love Lamar) to win another Super Bowl :trophy:

Then you have to factor in Texan free agents to be. Here is an excellent Cody Stoots video covering this topic. Would like to pay and keep Greenard (draft class thin after top two or three prospects). Cody mentions Tunsil, Howard, Greene and Mason going nowhere, which is banking on often injured, older players some of whom are yet to be proven. Do agree Schultz moves on in free agency so TE is highly probable. Singletary also free agent, would extend Steven Nelson, like having corners set.

With the hardest part taken care of with the drafting of CJ & us knowing we can put up points, i think we go defense early in the draft. The adjustment the Ravens made directly targeted our weakest group on defense all year.. the LB core. Harris came into his own the last 5-6 games of the season & it made a HUGE difference. Aside from that, what he was able to do in that 1st half of the divisional round should've shown everyone here how much better our defense can get with another guy like Harris. You factor in Meco being a former LB & him coming in on SF's coaching staff at the tail end of Willis/Bowman & him watching them rebuild & coaching Warner & Greenlaw.............. & year after year be 1 of the best defenses in the league..... There's just no way we don't address the LB with significant assets in the offseason. Whether its with a splash FA signing like Al-Shahir (former 49er and played under Meco) or more unlikely a guy like Patrick Queen.... or we hit the draft and somehow Trotter jr. falls to us, We just cannot go into next year with Perryman/Cashman flanking Harris as starter...particularlly Perryman starting. Cashman isn't really reliable so I expect an upgrade with the LB core of some kind.

I think too many assets are sunk into the o-line for them to spend anything significant on that group. Green was drafted to be that road-grader guard..pretty sure that NC and co. still believe he can be an upgrade there which has the potential to help with our run game. Scruggs year 2 should be better, Then you have guys like Quessenberry coming off IR. Then with guys like Henry, Barkley and Josh Jacobs all potentially being available for us to snag in FA we can easily upgrade at the RB position as well.

We can also upgrade the TE position & add weapons for CJ in rounds 3 easily as guys like Stover and/or Sanders will most definitely be there.

Understand investing heavily in the offensive line, I’m on board with that but not overpaying to point your limited cap wise which impacts quality depth, leaving Texans susceptible to injuries, which is exactly what transpired.

So this Mock addresses this critical weakness along with huge upgrade in TE room (imagine CJ with Bowers, c’mon man). Love Packers draft last year, selecting Musgrave in 2nd then Kraft in 3rd. Both productive as rookies and really helps in pass pro and downfield blocking, another weakness this Texans team struggled with.

DeMeco will most certainly want to address interior of DL with youth & talent. Kris Jenkins would be a very valuable long term, cheaper run stopper who can penetrate helping defense get back to controlling line of scrimmage with just four. Then there is that depth thing, which seems to happen at worst of times.

Possible bell cow RB on a cheap rookie deal to compliment Singletary huge assist to CJ. Afraid Pierce is just not a fit in this offense, and cannot watch Pitre with his short armed, small hands let picks slip between his fingers so added a big athletic Safety to replace him as well. Also done with Fairbairn, looked like he was hampered with nagging injury, missing extra point last week and FG yesterday. If he can’t stay healthy we need to move on, spending a 7th on kicker who is better also upgrade.

This Mock is a reflection of my feelings fresh off loss to the Baltimore Ravens, who I wish well (love Lamar) to win another Super Bowl :trophy:
I'm not against the Bowers pick. If you want to do that then fine but you then drafted Stover and Nesbit, who I have seen listed as a TE on multiple sites. Even if you drafted him as a WR, Nesbit's weakness is that he is a possession WR that can't separate from DB's. Not exactly the type of WR I would be targeting. I would be looking at guys with speed that can get downfield. Trade one of these TE selections with a speed WR and I would be fully on board with your mock.

I like Trey Benson and would be ecstatic if we selected him in the 2nd round. He's the best RB in this draft. I don't think he's going to be there for us in the 3rd.

With the hardest part taken care of with the drafting of CJ & us knowing we can put up points, i think we go defense early in the draft. The adjustment the Ravens made directly targeted our weakest group on defense all year.. the LB core. Harris came into his own the last 5-6 games of the season & it made a HUGE difference. Aside from that, what he was able to do in that 1st half of the divisional round should've shown everyone here how much better our defense can get with another guy like Harris. You factor in Meco being a former LB & him coming in on SF's coaching staff at the tail end of Willis/Bowman & him watching them rebuild & coaching Warner & Greenlaw.............. & year after year be 1 of the best defenses in the league..... There's just no way we don't address the LB with significant assets in the offseason. Whether its with a splash FA signing like Al-Shahir (former 49er and played under Meco) or more unlikely a guy like Patrick Queen.... or we hit the draft and somehow Trotter jr. falls to us, We just cannot go into next year with Perryman/Cashman flanking Harris as starter...particularlly Perryman starting. Cashman isn't really reliable so I expect an upgrade with the LB core of some kind.

I think too many assets are sunk into the o-line for them to spend anything significant on that group. Green was drafted to be that road-grader guard..pretty sure that NC and co. still believe he can be an upgrade there which has the potential to help with our run game. Scruggs year 2 should be better, Then you have guys like Quessenberry coming off IR. Then with guys like Henry, Barkley and Josh Jacobs all potentially being available for us to snag in FA we can easily upgrade at the RB position as well.

We can also upgrade the TE position & add weapons for CJ in rounds 3 easily as guys like Stover and/or Sanders will most definitely be there.
How many chances/years to expect results from two Texans 1st rd offensive linemen or fact they forfeited two more 1st rounders to acquire Tunsil who always has leverage on Texan front office?

With Schultz leaving via free agency, Texans have nothing in tight end room, nothing. I’ve seen this destroy other teams (Chargers) when they pass on addressing TE in draft early enough to go with a more sexy WR.

Cashman is also a free agent who puts his body on the line which causes injury. You can address LB fairly easily in free agency without breaking the bank or using high picks. Have no problem taking one mid rounds. Safety play is far more concerning to me. Ward is probably done, we have some solid veterans but could use more athleticism and size. Wish we had drafted Hamilton 13th in 2022.

For argument sake, let’s say Caserio doesn’t change OL. Jonathan Greenard, Steven Nelson, Dalton Schultz, Devin Singletary, Sheldon Rankings, Jimmy Ward all gone via free agency, but keep Cashman and all special teams players. Here is a trade down mock draft version I could live with.

1705896429136.png

How many chances/years to expect results from two Texans 1st rd offensive linemen or fact they forfeited two more 1st rounders to acquire Tunsil who always has leverage on Texan front office?

With Schultz leaving via free agency, Texans have nothing in tight end room, nothing. I’ve seen this destroy other teams (Chargers) when they pass on addressing TE in draft early enough to go with a more sexy WR.

Cashman is also a free agent who puts his body on the line which causes injury. You can address LB fairly easily in free agency without breaking the bank or using high picks. Have no problem taking one mid rounds. Safety play is far more concerning to me. Ward is probably done, we have some solid veterans but could use more athleticism and size. Wish we had drafted Hamilton 13th in 2022.

If we weren’t solid at QB, I would agree with you..but the fact that we have our franchise guy, & he had the season he had with the line the way it is, I think that they’ll run with what’s already here and on the books & hope that Green can get back healthy & solidify 1 of the guard positions, move Scruggs back over to center. The question is what happens at RT.

I’m ok moving on from Schultz, but I’m not moving up in the draft for a guy in Bowers, let alone trading a 4 time pro bowl franchise LT to move up for him….especially with Bowers coming off an ACL AND with other capable guys available later in the draft.

We agree on Cashman, but I could see Meco wanting to get his young guy to mold early in the draft..I think Al-Shahir is a real possibility considering the connection he has with Meco and the Titans getting ready to go into a rebuild…he may not wanna stay there for that.

The safety position is interesting. Once Ward went out for the final time & Houston-Carson got in, the safety play kinda stabilized. He’s not a game breaker, but he’s steady. I’d be lookin in the draft to get a younger guy to develop, but it would still be lower on my list of priorities behind LB, TE and might even look at it after WR depending on who’s available To us since this is a deep draft for WR.

For argument sake, let’s say Caserio doesn’t change OL. Jonathan Greenard, Steven Nelson, Dalton Schultz, Devin Singletary, Sheldon Rankings, Jimmy Ward all gone via free agency, but keep Cashman and all special teams players. Here is a trade down mock draft version I could live with.

View attachment 13533
Forget the trade back scenario. Coleman/Benson/Sweat in the first 3 rounds is my ideal draft right now. Hicks/Fisher/Sinnott are all guys I like in the middle rounds. I'm not familiar with the 2 7th rounders, but I would be very pleased with that draft.

I don't see Lathum as left tackle and wouldn't trade Tunsil for 1.13. Bears 1.9 If Joe Alt was there would probably make me go with it. More importantly do we need the Texans eating 22.5 Million Dead money for trading him? Other than that JC Stroud guy, everyone is tradable for the right deal. I just have not seen that right deal for Tunsil yet.

Let's get Green healthy and see how he does before passing judgement. Kinda like we passed judgement with Stingley and called him a bust because he was injured.

Howard is sunk cost and they will have to bite the bullet until next off season to unload his contract. A terrible signing by Caserio. See, I can be critical of Caserio.

I'm bringing Cashman back. Best LB on the team and probably had a top 15 year. His best football should be ahead of him because he's still young.

Agreed on the safety play. I wouldn't be against drafting Nubin in the 2nd or hopefully Cole Bishop in the 4th. About Hamilton it's time to live in the future and not in the past. What's done is done.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that you have some hard feelings that things have/are working out well for the Texans and Caserio.

Myself, I got my eval of Strouds talent and appearance of character wrong and I'm as happy as I can be to admit I got it wrong.

Last edited:
I don't see Lathum as left tackle and wouldn't trade Tunsil for 1.13. Bears 1.9 If Joe Alt was there would probably make me go with it. More importantly do we need the Texans eating 22.5 Million Dead money for trading him? Other than that JC Stroud guy, everyone is tradable for the right deal. I just have not seen that right deal for Tunsil yet.

You're not going to see that deal because to trade our by far best guy on the line and forcing CJ to have to look over his shoulder because he no longer has a reliable bodyguard back there would require multiple higher level pick, I'm talking at least two 1st round, and maybe a player.

Yeah everyone is tradable but Tunsil's price is the "Do not want to sell" price you give to people that keep bugging you to sell something.

You're not going to see that deal because to trade our by far best guy on the line and forcing CJ to have to look over his shoulder because he no longer has a reliable bodyguard back there would require multiple higher level pick, I'm talking at least two 1st round, and maybe a player.

Yeah everyone is tradable but Tunsil's price is the "Do not want to sell" price you give to people that keep bugging you to sell something.
Not to attack you however this is where posters make comments like yours that are probably incorrect. You do not trade Tunsil without getting a quality starting day one left tackle and Joe Alt would be that. I also think that Jordan Morgan could be that at a much lower draft pick. The question is and probably what you are alluding to is that we know what we have in Tunsil and I'm not talking about his false starts. It was interesting how he went to 5 sacks allowed this season. I attribute most of that to his injuries. Hopefully I am not wrong as I do not see him going anywhere.

Plus top 5 LT's that are the best pass protectors in the league despite playing on a bad knee don't grow on trees.

Not to attack you however this is where posters make comments like yours that are probably incorrect. You do not trade Tunsil without getting a quality starting day one left tackle and Joe Alt would be that. I also think that Jordan Morgan could be that at a much lower draft pick. The question is and probably what you are alluding to is that we know what we have in Tunsil and I'm not talking about his false starts. It was interesting how he went to 5 sacks allowed this season. I attribute most of that to his injuries. Hopefully I am not wrong as I do not see him going anywhere.

Not sure what I said that was incorrect. You said that everyone is tradeable and I agree but the price to trade him is way to high for any team to realistically consider. So to use your point of "You do not trade Tunsil without getting a quality starting day one left tackle..." that would mean I am trading Tunsil for another top 3 LT and I don't mean projected to be top 3 I mean one of the guys that is on Tunsil's level right now or another Watson level haul of draft picks. So my only trade partners either don't need Tunsil or they they believe they are a LT away from from a SB and thats an extremely niche market. Hence my saying its the "don't want to sell" price.

Not sure what I said that was incorrect. You said that everyone is tradeable and I agree but the price to trade him is way to high for any team to realistically consider. So to use your point of "You do not trade Tunsil without getting a quality starting day one left tackle..." that would mean I am trading Tunsil for another top 3 LT and I don't mean projected to be top 3 I mean one of the guys that is on Tunsil's level right now or another Watson level haul of draft picks. So my only trade partners either don't need Tunsil or they they believe they are a LT away from from a SB and thats an extremely niche market. Hence my saying its the "don't want to sell" price.

Texans would need to draft an OT this year and let him develop up to the deadline. If the rookie is ready, this may be the window for Tunsil’s highest return. It would be late (19+) in any round unless they have a lower pick based on a previous trade, but it would be to a playoff contender.

Texans would need to draft an OT this year and let him develop up to the deadline. If the rookie is ready, this may be the window for Tunsil’s highest return. It would be late (19+) in any round unless they have a lower pick based on a previous trade, but it would be to a playoff contender.

The chances of having a rookie OT ready to start are very low. Teams do start them but that doesn't mean they are ready, plus 19+ is in no possible way worth letting him go. Its this line of thinking of "trade players at highest return" that gets teams in trouble because the reason they are at highest return is because they are playing at their best. I blame the Patriots, they did this for years and it got in people's heads that this was the way to run a team. The only reason Pats got away with it though is because of Brady and they played in a division that seemed hell bent on proving who could improve the least each year. Soon as Brady left, and really a year before that, and their division got better the Pats starting losing and losing badly and everyone has said its because they have pretty much no talent on that team.

The chances of having a rookie OT ready to start are very low. Teams do start them but that doesn't mean they are ready, plus 19+ is in no possible way worth letting him go. Its this line of thinking of "trade players at highest return" that gets teams in trouble because the reason they are at highest return is because they are playing at their best. I blame the Patriots, they did this for years and it got in people's heads that this was the way to run a team. The only reason Pats got away with it though is because of Brady and they played in a division that seemed hell bent on proving who could improve the least each year. Soon as Brady left, and really a year before that, and their division got better the Pats starting losing as losing badly and everyone has said its because they have pretty much no talent on that team.

Personally, I don’t see the Texans moving Tunsil at all in 2024 or 2025 b/c of his contract and the negative financial impact if he’s traded too soon.

I’m looking more at a RT who would have the ability to make a move to LT in the future, if needed.

As for Tunsil….he’ll always be a one trick pony in my book who excels at being a finesse LT while never really imposing his will on any defense in the run game. You know, “I’m a lover, not a fighter”.

Last edited:
Personally, I don’t see the Texans moving Tunsil at all in 2024 or 2025 b/c of his contract and the negative impact if he’s traded too soon.

I’m looking more at a RT who would have the ability to make a move to LT in the future if needed.

As for Tunsil….he’ll always be a one trick pony in my book who excels at being a finesse LT and never really imposes his will on any defense in the run game. You know, “I’m a lover, not a fighter”.

I agree he's a one trick pony but as Bruce Lee said don't fear the man that practices 10,000 kicks one time, fear the man that practices one kick 10,000 times. Tunsil is number one in the pass blocking and we have a QB that people are in his rookie year putting on the level of Mahomes, Lamar and even Brady. We are a passing team and thats the kick we need to practice 10,000 times. Hell just get a Bell type power back that doesn't need a bunch of people blocking for him and can just bulldoze his way through. For some reason though Texans have always tried to draft/sign/play these quick, nimble guys that take advantage of any hole created but they need that hole to be created.

Back