Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Defense is terrible. Absolutely terrible!

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
They looked pretty good on defense in the 1st half, specifically the d-line... until that 1st drive of the 3rd. Then they got manhandled...lined up and just ran it down our throat...nothing flashy either. Our inside LB's play has been terrible...Mckinney looked a little better but it was disturbing to me how often Cunningham was out of position or taking a bad angle to the RB, getting lost in coverage & missing tackles. He had a chance to end that 1st drive in the 3rd by BAL & save perhaps 2 minutes on the clock, but he missed the tackle. I haven't been able to review the all-22 yet, but i sat and watched the condensed game yesterday only focusing on him on defense..& man.....he was bad. His performance was only slightly better than Blacklock who just looks lost out there..Not aggressive at all........pretty sure that that TD by Ingram on that 4th & 1 conversion was on him.

I also sat & watched Howard...he hasn't looked good in any of these 1st 2 games either..looks tentative like he doesn't know what's coming & he's been pretty terrible with his hands...

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Go look starting at 20 secs left in the 3rd
I had actually finished the whole game.
Reader was even better upon further scrutiny.
I think I'd have another day or two to go over the notes to try to "tone down" the bias. :corrosion:

One thing I'll say is that he definitely can play three downs, and that defense does need him big time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
They looked pretty good on defense in the 1st half, specifically the d-line... until that 1st drive of the 3rd. Then they got manhandled...lined up and just ran it down our throat...nothing flashy either. Our inside LB's play has been terrible...Mckinney looked a little better but it was disturbing to me how often Cunningham was out of position or taking a bad angle to the RB, getting lost in coverage & missing tackles. He had a chance to end that 1st drive in the 3rd by BAL & save perhaps 2 minutes on the clock, but he missed the tackle. I haven't been able to review the all-22 yet, but i sat and watched the condensed game yesterday only focusing on him on defense..& man.....he was bad. His performance was only slightly better than Blacklock who just looks lost out there..Not aggressive at all........pretty sure that that TD by Ingram on that 4th & 1 conversion was on him.

I also sat & watched Howard...he hasn't looked good in any of these 1st 2 games either..looks tentative like he doesn't know what's coming & he's been pretty terrible with his hands...
Cunningham looks like a terrible signing.

The wrist surgery Howard had this offseason could be Howard's issue with his hands.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yes this defense is bad .... BUT had the offense scored on one of its first two possessions in the second half the defense may have held on.
the D is still bad but the offense (OB and Kelly) didn’t do it any favors today.
Key word phrase there is “may have”. We are looking at another 2017 season right now where it doesn’t matter how many points we score, no lead is safe with this defense.

austins23

Hall of Fame
Key word phrase there is “may have”. We are looking at another 2017 season right now where it doesn’t matter how many points we score, no lead is safe with this defense.
I agree .... but hypothetically speaking, don’t you think the defense may have got more pep on its step had the offense scored a TD on one of those first two drives?
not saying the Texans win but.....

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I agree .... but hypothetically speaking, don’t you think the defense may have got more pep on its step had the offense scored a TD on one of those first two drives?
not saying the Texans win but.....
Probably..but what the Steelers did was the EXACT same thing the Ravens did to our defense. They came out in the 2nd half and ran it down our throat. The Ravens did it by way of the RPO, the Steelers did it by pulling guards and running it out on the edges where Mercy and Martin had issues sealing the edges. And in the event that they did seal it, McKinney and co. were not there scraping /could not make the tackle.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
That sets the offense back and off schedule. That in turn sets the offense in 3rd and long situations......when we know the defense is really gonna come hard after him...& it takes the running game completely out of the equation.
I saw Wilson take a sack against Dallas. They ran a draw, picked up 12 yards. Then went about their offense, 3rd & 4

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
I'm not even mad at the defence tbh, I think it's safe to assume we expected them to struggle. It's the offense that's disappointing with all the resources poured into it
If u expected the defense to struggle, y would u not expect the offense to struggle against arguably the best defense in the league?

I agree with both u guys that Stills should’ve been coming back to the ball more, but that’s after the ball was let go by DW4.. he was literally 1 step from going out of bounds. He should’ve just ate it. Just an ill-advised throw by him imo.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
If u expected the defense to struggle, y would u not expect the offense to struggle against arguably the best defense in the league?

I agree with both u guys that Stills should’ve been coming back to the ball more, but that’s after the ball was let go by DW4.. he was literally 1 step from going out of bounds. He should’ve just ate it. Just an ill-advised throw by him imo.
Yeah, the dude had one bad throw. Every QB has one a game. It’s crazy that Watson is expected to be Superman every week to give us a fighting chance

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
How does a GM put his team into a position where the head coach has to put Hargreaves on the field? The Steeler offense on 3rd down was “Throw to whom #26 is attempting to cover.”

I mean everyone wants the HC fired. I get it. But where is the responsibility for the GM that is all about the T-E-A-M?

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Y’all love to lock in on the offense. And ok, they’ve been bad ....for a while actually. But As you’ve seen with Dallas, ATL, and a few other teams, it doesn’t matter how many points you can score. If you can’t stop anybody when it matters, you’re still gonna be a bad. And while the offense has looked like pure ****, Does anyone have ANY confidence that this defense can stop a good team when it matters?

The offense scored in 50 secs to reclaim the lead at the end of the 1st half. After Pittsburgh came roaring back b/c the defense couldn’t stop them. In the 2nd half, Pittsburgh’s defense stepped it up majorly to slow our offense down in the 2nd. Our defense? effectively wilted...Pittsburgh’s defense got a TO and gave their O an extra possession which turned out to be the difference in the game. Our defense? hasn’t gotten even 1 turnover all season.

Its actually funny to me b/c the cowboys did everything last year that fans here wanted the Texans to do....they Got a new HC...kept their draft picks and brought in a nice weapon for Dak....and got secondary help in the draft.....They opened it up and have tailored their offense around what Dak is good at. They went out and got defensive line help With Everson Griffin and Aldon Smith....and you know what Dallas fans are saying over there? The exact same **** we’re saying over here and the exact same **** they were saying last year when Garrett was there....

The Play calling is bad....
McCarthy doesn’t seem to know what he’s doing.....
The secondary is putrid....
Jalen Smith and the LB core horrible...
We Gotta start faster....
Too many costly mistakes
We’re inconsistent on offense/too many mistakes

This is a team that has scored 30 or more points in 2 of their 3 games....

76Texan

Hall of Fame
A
Y’all love to lock in on the offense. And ok, they’ve been bad ....for a while actually. But As you’ve seen with Dallas, ATL, and a few other teams, it doesn’t matter how many points you can score. If you can’t stop anybody when it matters, you’re still gonna be a bad. And while the offense has looked like pure ****, Does anyone have ANY confidence that this defense can stop a good team when it matters?

The offense scored in 50 secs to reclaim the lead at the end of the 1st half. After Pittsburgh came roaring back b/c the defense couldn’t stop them. In the 2nd half, Pittsburgh’s defense stepped it up majorly to slow our offense down in the 2nd. Our defense? effectively wilted...Pittsburgh’s defense got a TO and gave their O an extra possession which turned out to be the difference in the game. Our defense? hasn’t gotten even 1 turnover all season.

Its actually funny to me b/c the cowboys did everything last year that fans here wanted the Texans to do....they Got a new HC...kept their draft picks and brought in a nice weapon for Dak....and got secondary help in the draft.....They opened it up and have tailored their offense around what Dak is good at. They went out and got defensive line help With Everson Griffin and Aldon Smith....and you know what Dallas fans are saying over there? The exact same **** we’re saying over here and the exact same **** they were saying last year when Garrett was there....

Too many costly mistakes

And who's fault is it when the D has been stripped of talents the last 3 years without replinishing.
Did you see how much cap/money O'Brien spend on offense vs. Defense?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Same thing happened last week with the defense. DW4’s gotta learn to get rid of the ball when things aren’t there. At least 2 of the sacks he took he did not have to take. THROW THE DAMN BALL AWAY!! When he doesn’t & he takes a sack, That sets the offense back and off schedule. That in turn sets the offense in 3rd and long situations......when we know the defense is really gonna come hard after him...& it takes the running game completely out of the equation. You heard Charles Davis allude to it in the broadcast.....it’s in the scouting report against DW4 now. Teams BANK on him holding the ball too long. It works out for him sometimes but so far this season it has primarily worked against him. I’m tired of seeing him holding holding holding waiting for something to come open deep only for him to take a sack or force the ball and throw an int. TAKE WHAT THE DEFENSE GIVES YOU!!!

The other thing I’m tired of seeing? Darren Fells and Akins trying to block or chip on the edge. They aren’t good at it, and at least 1 play a game, their failure to effectively block or chip has led directly to a sack or fumble. ENOUGH!

I also don’t recall seeing a single screen all game, which to me is a major oversight against a defense that blitzes ALOT.

The defense...the linebacker play has been largely terrible all season...Mercy, McKinney and Cunningham have been overpowered, juked and just flat out run over all season. The unfortunate irony for us is every single 1 of those guys are signed long term...
Spot on analysis. I'm looking forward to Pharoh Brown playing more. I dont know how he is catching the ball, but he made a beautiful block on DJ's TD run. Something I haven't seen from Texans TE in a very long time.

Sad about the overrated LB's. They need to go to a 4-3defense just so they can only have 3 subpar LB's on the field instead of 4.

3 games and this team still doesn't have a turnover. We need to start taking bets on which game the Texans D will finally get a turnover.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Spot on analysis. I'm looking forward to Pharoh Brown playing more. I dont know how he is catching the ball, but he made a beautiful block on DJ's TD run. Something I haven't seen from Texans TE in a very long time.

Sad about the overrated LB's. They need to go to a 3-4 defense just so they can only have 3 subpar LB's on the field instead of 4.

3 games and this team still doesn't have a turnover. We need to start taking bets on which game the Texans D will finally get a turnover.
They had quitted on O'Brien, just saying. :corrosion:

They saw players gone: Clowney, KJax, JJo, Reader, Mathieu, Blackson...

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

Too many costly mistakes

Good observation but McCarthy isn't wearing the GM cap and acting as the pseudo OC. Jerry Jones the GM and smartest guy in the room has slammed his organization all on his own.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Back to defense...through 3 weeks only the Cowboys (97), Vikings (102) and Falcons (108) have allowed more points than the Texans (95). After this week, they may take sole possession of giving up the most. At least they will lead the league in something right?
Difference is we have played 2 of the top 3 offenses in the league & the #1 defense in the league.....3 of the top 5-6 teams in the league....Combined record of all those teams 6-1...& that's only b/c 2 of those teams played against each other. The schedule was so ridiculous that Joe Tessitore had to mention it last night during the Monday Night Football broadcast... The Vikings have only played 1 of the top teams in GB, Cowboys only 1 in Seattle & the Falcons have played only 1....Seattle.

banned1976

sleeper mode
isn't Earl Thomas is the building today?
The Corey Liuget signing and bringing in the "cancerous" Earl Thomas for an interview reeks of desperation. He's not an "O'Brien, Janice or Easterby" type of employee. Could all be just for show. I'd be surprised if they actually sign him...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good try.

This bickering in every thread about Watson is beyond ridiculous.
Has been going on for 4 years.

It's just now that more fans are being critical of DW4 and pointing out with screenshots the mistakes he keeps making. The DW4 fanboys can't have this, so all they have left are posts like this. Why was it alright for me when I was the lone wolf it ok for the rest of the MB to relentlessly hound me but now it's time to move on?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The Corey Liuget signing and bringing in the "cancerous" Earl Thomas for an interview reeks of desperation. He's not an "O'Brien, Janice or Easterby" type of employee. Could all be just for show. I'd be surprised if they actually sign him...
Agreed, they should have made these moved before the 1st game of the season.

OptimisticTexan

Maybe Easterby will hide behind the door and when Thomas walks through he'll scream bucket challenge and douse him with Holy Water....then immediately try to perform an exorcism while Janice, Cal, and Bill stand behind him humming Kumbaya My Lord.

OptimisticTexan

Coincidentally, Jerry Jones was asked about Earl Thomas earlier today and he indicated he was interested. Less than an hour later the announcement was made that Earl’s visit here was on hold.

Regardless, OB and Easterby showed their hand. They’re desperate.
Maybe some of the defensive players reached out to Thomas and told him, you don't want to come here....we're going to ditch the season in an effort to run this moron out of town.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Difference is we have played 2 of the top 3 offenses in the league & the #1 defense in the league.....3 of the top 5-6 teams in the league....Combined record of all those teams 6-1...& that's only b/c 2 of those teams played against each other. The schedule was so ridiculous that Joe Tessitore had to mention it last night during the Monday Night Football broadcast... The Vikings have only played 1 of the top teams in GB, Cowboys only 1 in Seattle & the Falcons have played only 1....Seattle.
I heard Steelers may be only team to beat KC for conference champs. We did our part to help both teams accomplish their dreams cause that's what we do. Vikings you may be next.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Whitney and Cunningham have been the worse defenders in the nfl this year. Whitney got hooked by a wr and let Kirk Cousins get to the corner. He also let Big Ben beat him to the corner. Cunningham has been the biggest disappointment aside from Whitney, Benardrick and Scarlett all have been beyond terrible.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Whitney and Cunningham have been the worse defenders in the nfl this year. Whitney got hooked by a wr and let Kirk Cousins get to the corner. He also let Big Ben beat him to the corner. Cunningham has been the biggest disappointment aside from Whitney, Benardrick and Scarlett all have been beyond terrible.
I think McKinney could have a future as an edge. Atleast I would try him there and try to find a coverage LB. They're stuck with Cunningham.