Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Defense is terrible. Absolutely terrible!

Mangler

Toro de España
These guys would probably get destroyed by North Shore High School’s offense. Just horrid! Where do they go from here? And why in the hell did Tim Kelly not call more run plays? David Johnson was the sole bright spot on this sorry ass team tonight.
I’m gonna go throw up now...

Last edited:

LikeMike

Veteran
We knew they were bad - and they were bad tonight. Run defense was really bad (outside of goalline situations) and we still can't cover TEs and speed kills us - and we are lacking a serious pass rush. That being said, tonight was bad but not that horrible. We got 34 against the best QB and maybe the best Offense in the league with maybe the best playcaller. 6 of those points were last second points, that wouldn't have happened, if the offense played better. The Interception in the end zone would have happended without the interference by Roby. We were pretty good in goal line D against the run.

The bigger problem was our offense not being able to stay on the field. David Johnson was the only real bright spot for me, because I expected less. He was consistent on the ground and through the air and can be a real weapon for us. Fuller was good but we didn't go for the long ball until very late and that hurt us. And we were missing Nuk as the reliable receiver that gets open and catches the ball. Our two new receivers didn't show up - I hope that is just getting used to a new team without a preseason. Our O-line overall was fine but not very good. Watson still needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

Overall a loss against the Chiefs in their home opener after they won a Super Bowl was expected. But we need to fix the run D and get the new receivers involved if we want to make some noise this year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We knew they were bad - and they were bad tonight. Run defense was really bad (outside of goalline situations) and we still can't cover TEs and speed kills us - and we are lacking a serious pass rush. That being said, tonight was bad but not that horrible. We got 34 against the best QB and maybe the best Offense in the league with maybe the best playcaller. 6 of those points were last second points, that wouldn't have happened, if the offense played better. The Interception in the end zone would have happended without the interference by Roby. We were pretty good in goal line D against the run.

The bigger problem was our offense not being able to stay on the field. David Johnson was the only real bright spot for me, because I expected less. He was consistent on the ground and through the air and can be a real weapon for us. Fuller was good but we didn't go for the long ball until very late and that hurt us. And we were missing Nuk as the reliable receiver that gets open and catches the ball. Our two new receivers didn't show up - I hope that is just getting used to a new team without a preseason. Our O-line overall was fine but not very good. Watson still needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

Overall a loss against the Chiefs in their home opener after they won a Super Bowl was expected. But we need to fix the run D and get the new receivers involved if we want to make some noise this year.
How many targets did Cobb get? All I saw were late in game. Can't catch ball unless it's thrown to you. Akins and Fells may have had 4 targets between them IIRC. Also What happened to throwing deep to our speed guys? I remember two, one deep to the left over everyone's head out of bounds and the ,just chunk it long cause I'm going to get sacked even if none of my guys are in area I'm throwing to INT.

Watson seemed to have more focus laughing sitting on bench with Hishomie than the game. To clarify that didn't bother me as I explained to my irritated host "two 24 year olds celebrating birthdays next week after being gifted with millions".
Deshaun has to be better now Obrien isn't calling the plays.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
But we need to fix the run D and get the new receivers involved if we want to make some noise this year.
Hard to fix the defense when you lack the player to fix what's broken.

The Chiefs averaged 4.8 per on the ground.

Three things I warned about this defense weeks ago:

No pass rush
Cant stop the run , going to spend an awful lot of time in 2nd or 3rd and short as a result.
Can't cover a TE with a blanket.

All of the above were hammer meet nail.

They miss DJ Reader.

Can't play both Cunningham and McKinney at the same time - its a recipe for disaster.

One thing I didn't expect was the offense to be as putrid as it was , I figured they'd be competitive - they weren't.
Watson had his ohh and ahh moments but was typically inconsistent & threw several poor balls. 52.6 QBR tells the tale , particularly after the first quarter.

Did expect the secondary to be worse than they were ... they were poor to middling instead of totally rotten.

The Chiefs have an average defense but our so called offense made their defense look like a top rated all time one. They have weaknesses that should have been exploited. I don't buy that after our one impressive TD drive the Chiefs made adjustments that shut us down until garbage time. The outcome was known by Andy Reid from early third quarter on. What is really scary is that had the Chiefs not discovered a new toy for their system that made it a time of possession game than we would have been exploited more through air to the tune of 50+ points.

Anyone placing blame of DW4 is way off base. There was little to no creativity on the offenses part which if properly utilized would have at least slowed the Chiefs defensive pressure down. Instead since after our first TD drive our offensive line did little to stop DW4 from running for his life.

Next up is the Ravens and they won't play nice. If they can put up 100 points and shut our offense down they don't care they will play till their is no time left on the clock.

It is going to be a long and awful season.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Hard to fix the defense when you lack the player to fix what's broken.

The Chiefs averaged 4.8 per on the ground.

Three things I warned about this defense weeks ago:

No pass rush
Cant stop the run , going to spend an awful lot of time in 2nd or 3rd and short as a result.
Can't cover a TE with a blanket.

All of the above were hammer meet nail.

They miss DJ Reader.

Can't play both Cunningham and McKinney at the same time - its a recipe for disaster.

One thing I didn't expect was the offense to be as putrid as it was , I figured they'd be competitive - they weren't.
Watson had his ohh and ahh moments but was typically inconsistent & threw several poor balls. 52.6 QBR tells the tale , particularly after the first quarter.

Did expect the secondary to be worse than they were ... they were poor to middling instead of totally rotten.
I noticed Watson started dancing again once the game was getting away from them. He looked crisp on the 1st qtr scoring drive, then a few plays didn’t come off, next thing you know he’s pulling the ball down mid throwing motion.

This D, letting Gipson go, relying on Roby and Conley, paying big money to McKinney, Cunningham, Mercilus. Losing Reader just exacerbated it because he did the dirty work and kept those ILBs clean, allowed JJ to freelance.

The guys they lost this year weren’t great but were better than what we’ve replaced them with.

We’ll meet lesser teams than the Chiefs this season and look better. Probably enough for OB to keep his job. I hope the cap hell they are in means they can’t trade away future picks for toxic contracts, and allows the next coach ammo to rebuild, we‘ve already passed peak OBrien.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Andy Reid & his Chiefs are really very hospitable hosts because as we all know they could have beat us by 5 TDs last night had they wanted to but instead chose to be, well, hospitable hosts and not beat the crap out of a defenseless guest. Nevertheless this was more or less what I expected to happen at Arrowhead last night.
What to do ? Well so I've decided to use this years mulligan on last nights game and I'm already looking forward to the home opener vs the Ravens on teh 20th. That's the best I got right now.

HuttoKarl

Veteran
I guess Watson will at least score nicely on my fantasy roster with garbage time heroics...I just wish garbage time wasn't the second quarter and beyond.

Bill O'Brien is terrible. His genius has left this team with a swiss cheese defense and a bunch of MASH unit speed WR's who don't catch balls.

I'm thinking top ten draft pick...except I'm pretty sure Billdo traded away our first rounder for a tube of chin spackle.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I guess Watson will at least score nicely on my fantasy roster with garbage time heroics...I just wish garbage time wasn't the second quarter and beyond.

Bill O'Brien is terrible. His genius has left this team with a swiss cheese defense and a bunch of MASH unit speed WR's who don't catch balls.

I'm thinking top ten draft pick...except I'm pretty sure Billdo traded away our first rounder for a tube of chin spackle.
He did trade our first pick for Tunsil. Every time the Texans lose, Miami opens up a bottle of champagne.

Texazan

Our HOF 34
How does Jacob Martin get just 18 snaps while Whitney Mercilus gets 62? 62 snaps!!??? I didn’t even know he played.
Yea he had a whopping 3 tackles. Hardly knew he was there. I like Whitney but since the extension he's JAG now.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Andy Reid & his Chiefs are really very hospitable hosts because as we all know they could have beat us by 5 TDs last night had they wanted to but instead chose to be, well, hospitable hosts and not beat the crap out of a defenseless guest. Nevertheless this was more or less what I expected to happen at Arrowhead last night.
What to do ? Well so I've decided to use this years mulligan on last nights game and I'm already looking forward to the home opener vs the Ravens on teh 20th. That's the best I got right now.
They wanted to show dominance in the trenches with their new run game and that's exactly what they did. If they had to score 50+ points to win this game, there's no doubt in my mind they could have opened up the aerial attack and torched the secondary and gotten there.

The Chief's were hospitable in bludgeoning the Texans defense line and linebackers. It was a very easy victory for them.

austins23

Hall of Fame
These guys would probably get destroyed by North Shore High School’s offense. Just horrid! Where do they go from here? And why in the hell did Tim Kelly not call more run plays? David Johnson was the sole bright spot on this sorry ass team tonight.
North Shore has a helluva team.
My sons old high school team (2A) runs the Slot T.... hell they’d drop 200 yards on this Texans run D, or lack of one, I should say.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
My thoughts?

Offense is always going to be behind a bit with lack of snaps. I think you are going to find that alot of offenses this weekend are going to be sluggish. David Johnson looked like the best back we’ve had since Foster, so I will be very interested to see if he can stay healthy. Our run game is going to be quite good it seems to me and we will be able to control games with it once we get our passing game better in sync. Our #1 receiver was not 100% and seemed to me to not play much of the second half of the game.

The defense looks really bad in the secondary. I just don’t know what they expected with these CBs. Roby is an average starter and he’s far and away the best CB on the team.

Having said all that, this was the Chiefs who IMO are the best team in football, maybe since that Pats team that almost went undefeated. I don’t know that there is a team, especially in the AFC, that is going to be favored against them in any game this year.

CstatTexan

Waterboy
My thoughts?

Offense is always going to be behind a bit with lack of snaps. I think you are going to find that alot of offenses this weekend are going to be sluggish. David Johnson looked like the best back we’ve had since Foster, so I will be very interested to see if he can stay healthy. Our run game is going to be quite good it seems to me and we will be able to control games with it once we get our passing game better in sync. Our #1 receiver was not 100% and seemed to me to not play much of the second half of the game.
Up against an average defense, I don’t think Johnson looked like anything more than a JAG. For what he’s getting paid, he’ll need to run like Arian in his prime to earn that money.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Can’t stay on the field when the Chiefs had two 9 minute drives. One in the 2nd quarter then the other in the 3rd quarter. Come on dude.

CstatTexan

Waterboy
Agree to disagree, I think he is going to have a big year. I think he’s probably the least of our worries on offense.
We have the Ravens, Steelers and Vikings coming up. That’s a good test for him. If Johnson can stand out, I’ll gladly eat my words. I would much rather he be an offensive threat over an overpaid RB.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Yes the defense was atrocious last night. The Chiefs could’ve scored 50 easily but they had to show off their new shiny toy. They have a young stud in the backfield. Excellent pick in the draft for them. Now they can chew up the time by pounding it on the ground.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
JJ was looking old last night, and he's supposed to be a linchpin in the defensive line?

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Chiefs would have scored a lot more if they weren't so rusty. But, it was their preseason game for all intents and purposes.

My 1-4 prediction for the Texans looks very realistic at this point. It's gonna' be a long season.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
JJ was looking old last night, and he's supposed to be a linchpin in the defensive line?

Chiefs would have scored a lot more if they weren't so rusty. But, it was their preseason game for all intents and purposes.

My 1-4 prediction for the Texans looks very realistic at this point. It's gonna' be a long season.
I should have known that first drive by the Texans was fool's gold.

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Well, they just quit. Played D till we had a lead, then typically quit playing.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I thought Weaver had a decent plan to start the game. He had pass rushers coming free after Mahomes, caused some confusion in the o-line calls. But, the Chiefs decided to just ram the ball down the defenses throat with the run. And were successful. Just like a fight, plans go away once you're popped in the mouth.

Does this get fixed by a week from Sunday? Don't know. Do you believe in miracles?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I thought Weaver had a decent plan to start the game. He had pass rushers coming free after Mahomes, caused some confusion in the o-line calls. But, the Chiefs decided to just ram the ball down the defenses throat with the run. And were successful. Just like a fight, plans go away once you're popped in the mouth.

Does this get fixed by a week from Sunday? Don't know. Do you believe in miracles?
Texans run defense is gonna be bad. No Reader or Clowney

banned1976

sleeper mode
Well, they just quit. Played D till we had a lead, then typically quit playing.
I don’t think they quit. They just don’t have the horses to compete against good offenses, much less great ones like the Chiefs. This is the defense BoB built. And I think the guy most likely to suffer the most is JJ. It’s in his nature to be a little more reckless with his body when he feels pressed to overcompensate for his teammates.

Might be the last opportunity to get whatever they can for JJ. He might still have some value left for someone. He’s really a situational pass rusher at this point.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Up against an average defense, I don’t think Johnson looked like anything more than a JAG. For what he’s getting paid, he’ll need to run like Arian in his prime to earn that money.
? whut? David Johnson had eleven rushes for 77 yards a TD and 3 catches for 32 at 10.67 each. The only question you should have is why he didn't get more plays. Arian nor any other back is going anywhere with less than 3 plays a quarter.

The back who didn't earn his money is Watson.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Chiefs have an average defense but our so called offense made their defense look like a top rated all time one. They have weaknesses that should have been exploited. I don't buy that after our one impressive TD drive the Chiefs made adjustments that shut us down until garbage time. The outcome was known by Andy Reid from early third quarter on. What is really scary is that had the Chiefs not discovered a new toy for their system that made it a time of possession game than we would have been exploited more through air to the tune of 50+ points.

Anyone placing blame of DW4 is way off base. There was little to no creativity on the offenses part which if properly utilized would have at least slowed the Chiefs defensive pressure down. Instead since after our first TD drive our offensive line did little to stop DW4 from running for his life.

Next up is the Ravens and they won't play nice. If they can put up 100 points and shut our offense down they don't care they will play till their is no time left on the clock.

It is going to be a long and awful season.
If you had added the word 'ALL' to your bolded statement I would have nodded my head but you did not. Dashaun was his 2019 self. There was enough blame to go around and he definitely deserved his share.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

badboy

Hall of Fame

2 solo tackles 1 assist. There was some talk that JJ might want to go to CHicago as wife plays there but Bears have minimal space now or 2021. Same with Packers another possible landing spot.

$15.5 million Chiefs getting Chris Jones for comparison only. If JJ does not have huge improvement is 2020 second round Ross Blaylock an option? OBrien prefers vets and cutting a Houston Icon just will not happen. Would Watt walk away from 2020 and 21 combined $33 million? Too early but we should be concerned.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yeah Watson was trash as usual. He’s the reason why his offensive linemen couldn’t block or his receivers couldn’t get open nor catch. He’s the reason why the Chiefs had two 9 minute drives.
As always you jump to extreme rather than evaluating Watson. I did not say Dashaun was trash and his Oline wasn't great but there were more than just a few plays Watson deserves critique. Priority example would be the INT. He was pressured and threw deep rather than out of bounds. Now if you want to include OC Tim Kelly as part of problem based on info we know, I am right there. I also said enough blame to go around but you focused on Watson like a lizard on a fly.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Lol Earl I can’t wait to read the answer to this. Really, I mean that’s if they will actually answer this legit question.
Howard got mobstered but my question was after #4 took off to left sidelines why did he not throw it away at the 40? All three of us watching were yelling get rid of it.

Edit: Tunsil and Scharping were horrible that play.

Last edited:

Earl34

Hall of Fame
As always you jump to extreme rather than evaluating Watson. I did not say Dashaun was trash and his Oline wasn't great but there were more than just a few plays Watson deserves critique. Priority example would be the INT. He was pressured and threw deep rather than out of bounds. Now if you want to include OC Tim Kelly as part of problem based on info we know, I am right there. I also said enough blame to go around but you focused on Watson like a lizard on a fly.
To be fair. On the INT, a WR was coming open. If Fells simply does a half a$$ job blocking, that was a big play. Watson did not have a good game, but he was pressing and trying to make a play, had the play he wanted and just ran out of time because of the terrible block. I blame Fells for that INT.

badboy

Hall of Fame
To be fair. On the INT, a WR was coming open. If Fells simply does a half a$$ job blocking, that was a big play. Watson did not have a good game, but he was pressing and trying to make a play, had the play he wanted and just ran out of time because of the terrible block. I blame Fells for that INT.
100% agree on block but INT was on Watson as he had time to throw away. I recognize he desperately wanted to make a play.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Can’t stay on the field when the Chiefs had two 9 minute drives. One in the 2nd quarter then the other in the 3rd quarter. Come on dude.

What's the best way to keep the opponents offense from dominating time of possession - Doing that yourself.

This offense was abysmal after that first drive and the narrative is going to be to blame everybody but Watson .... He wasn't good either.

Texansballer74

The Marine
What's the best way to keep the opponents offense from dominating time of possession - Doing that yourself.

This offense was abysmal after that first drive and the narrative is going to be to blame everybody but Watson .... He wasn't good either.
The offense will not be perfect all the time. No one should expect that period especially against top notch defenses. You can’t have penalties, drops and piss poor pass protection and expect Watson to bail them out every time. I really don’t understand what people on here be seeing. Some times I wonder do they even watch these games. It’s not right to blame anyone that’s not deserving. If he does F up then yeah blame away.

The first drive was stalled by a drop pass by Fuller. The 2nd drive was the one we scored the touchdown on.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

That's fair. Okay, Watson wasn't good either. But, my criticism starts with the OL and then we can get to Watson, the WRs, OB and Kelly. I have to ask the question. What QB is going to be good when:

"Houston's offensive line ranked 23rd in pressure rate allowed in 2019, but perhaps a bigger issue was Watson's tendency to invite pressure on himself. The Texans quarterback was responsible for 42 pressures last year, which tied for the second-most among quarterbacks.

This wasn't the issue last night, as Watson himself was charged with just one pressure. The issue was the sheer amount of quick pressure allowed by the offensive line. In total, Houston allowed six pressures in under 2 seconds and stumbled to just a 59.9 team pass-blocking grade for the game"

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-5-takeaways-kansas-city-chiefs-34-20-houston-texas

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The offense will not be perfect all the time. No one should expect that period especially against top notch defenses. You can’t have penalties, drops and piss poor pass protection and expect Watson to bail them out every time. I really don’t understand what people on here be seeing. Some times I wonder do they even watch these games. It’s not right to blame anyone that’s not deserving. If he does F up then yeah blame away.
Lets start with the very first pass play that WFV gets blamed for dropping.

That was a ball that never should have been thrown despite the fact that it was thrown in the only place possible - It was a poor decision.

That CB had perfect coverage and inside leverage , Fuller running the route for an inside throw the whole way and Watson throws it to the outside shoulder forcing Fuller to make a near impossible adjustment at full speed - probably should have been offensive pass interference as he pushed off to make the adjustment to the outside. Credit to Fuller for damn near coming up with it.

Terrible decision to throw that ball.

Then how about the 3-4 times he threw erratically on very short throws ...

This guy is being paid like he's an elite QB and has yet to show us anything elite as a passer , only as an athlete.

badboy

Hall of Fame
That's fair. Okay, Watson wasn't good either. But, my criticism starts with the OL and then we can get to Watson, the WRs, OB and Kelly. I have to ask the question. What QB is going to be good when:

"Houston's offensive line ranked 23rd in pressure rate allowed in 2019, but perhaps a bigger issue was Watson's tendency to invite pressure on himself. The Texans quarterback was responsible for 42 pressures last year, which tied for the second-most among quarterbacks.

This wasn't the issue last night, as Watson himself was charged with just one pressure. The issue was the sheer amount of quick pressure allowed by the offensive line. In total, Houston allowed six pressures in under 2 seconds and stumbled to just a 59.9 team pass-blocking grade for the game"

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-1-5-takeaways-kansas-city-chiefs-34-20-houston-texas
No the question should be despite pressure what did our $160 million QB do with ball? What was his QBR? Less than 60 I bet.