Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Ravens game.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
NOW WE KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE

No more kidding around, wishful thinking, hope, wait till next time, no more rebuilding, no more "had a bad game," no more anything.

WE ARE A LOUSY TEAM, POORLY COACHED, DESTINED FOR THE TRASH HEAP.

Let's hope that ownership finally gets a clue and fires O'Brien and starts a search RIGHT NOW for a new coach to take over in 2020.

We must cut off the head of this pathetic excuse for a football team, and we must do it immediately. Delay just means more of the painful same. Let Romeo oversee the remainder of the year.

Do it now.
Meh, not quite there yet.
This team still has plenty room for improvement.
Just like one good game does not a good team make, one bad game does not a bad team make.

Porky

Hall of Fame
My Take away's?

Watson tried to be a hero instead of letting the game come to him and it totally backfired. It can serve as a long term win IF he humbles himself and truly learns from it.

The Refs had big money on the Ravens. I've never seen a worse officiated game against the Texans - just terrible. And the worst was the obvious PI. It's one thing to blow it on the field and quite another for replay to blow it. Terrible. With that said, the Texans lose either way.

OB sucks as a HC and OC. Terrible game plan, and no real adjustments to be seen. The jury is out on his GM role, but he needs an apple and a road map and has for a long time.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I dont need to recap the game, most of you saw it.

Here are my takeaways

1.) As always Texans fans are gracious hosts. You guys really are a great fanbase and if it were not for the Ravens, I would be sitting here losing my **** with you. I appreciate teh hospitality from ALL of you.

2.) I am glad there are no really serious injuries and that DW4 is ok after that hit, and I hope your secondary men recover well.

3.) My only jab. I think you guys gave up Waaaaaaaaaaaay to much for Tunsil. He was frequently getting abused by a rookie. to give up 2 1sts and a 2nd, that is steep for a decent but not great tackle.

In any event a game like this there is no point in assigning blame, when you lose like that everyone is culpable. That said, it is how you respond. We got blown out by the Browns, but we bounced back. If you look at the two teams trajectories after that I dont think many would argue that the Browns beat the Ravens now. If you guys beat Indy and the Pats then you are now the second seed and in good shape.
It’s especially too much for Tunsil if the Texans still have a QB problem.

Texansballer74

The Marine
The O'Brian coached Texans have lost 9 games by 20 points or more.

The game today was the second worst beating the Texans have taken in the O'Brian era.

12/17/2017 Texans 7 Jaguars 45 - Margin of Defeat: 38
11/17/2019 Texans 7 Ravens 41 - Margin of Defeat: 34
01/09/2016 Texans 0 Chiefs 30 - Margin of Defeat: 30
12/25/2017 Texans 6 Steelers 34 - Margin of Defeat: 28
09/22/2016 Texans 0 Patriots 27 - Margin of Defeat: 27
10/04/2015 Texans 21 Falcons 48 - Margin of Defeat: 27
11/12/2017 Texans 7 Rams 33 - Margin of Defeat: 26
09/10/2017 Texans 7 Jaguars 29 - Margin of Defeat: 22
12/13/2015 Texans 6 Patriots 27 - Margin of Defeat: 21

There in no excuse for a team to come out of the bye looking this flat. We could barely score in garbage time. To quote Jed Clampett "pitiful...just pitiful".

This is not encouraging at all. And you're 100% right. Two weeks of preparation and you put this type of product on the field.

Texansballer74

The Marine
My Take away's?

Watson tried to be a hero instead of letting the game come to him and it totally backfired. It can serve as a long term win IF he humbles himself and truly learns from it.

The Refs had big money on the Ravens. I've never seen a worse officiated game against the Texans - just terrible. And the worst was the obvious PI. It's one thing to blow it on the field and quite another for replay to blow it. Terrible. With that said, the Texans lose either way.

OB sucks as a HC and OC. Terrible game plan, and no real adjustments to be seen. The jury is out on his GM role, but he needs an apple and a road map and has for a long time.

Great job at keeping it 100 all across the board verses placing blame on one entity or individual.

Spot on!

76Texan

Hall of Fame
No we didn't lose b/c of that, and I agree with you overall, but that call kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth b/c it most certainly would've led to 7 and the game plays out a little differently. We might've still lost, but perhaps the performance isn't as pathetic...& Baltimore is in a different position than they've been...…..behind....really all season.

My whole thing about that call is, If there was ever a precedent to reverse, that was it. & what makes me more angry is that Lonnie Johnson Jr. was called for PI on a much less egregious infraction later in the game. I mean why even have that as an challengeable option if you're not going to overturn even the most obvious of calls............….or non-calls in this situation. It just looks bad for the league.
Lonnie got away with a PI early in the game, and the Ravens missed the FG.
Their fans could have been easily upset just the same.
Just saying.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
1. The win over the Jags is even less impressive now.

2. We gave up way too much for Tunsil.
I dont believe we are done giving up for him either....the man will be looking to get paid soon... with how much that was paid up front for him without even securing the future.....

texan279

Hall of Fame
I dont believe we are done giving up for him either....the man will be looking to get paid soon... with how much that was paid up front for him without even securing the future.....
That's if he even wants to stay here...I just don't see him as an "elite" left tackle.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Before today and before his injury, he was among the top 3 LTs in pass blocking. He was playing elite. Remember he was questionable today. He’s still not 100% and Watson did not help his boys today. Played too much hero ball on the first half.
He's not elite. All it takes is a Google search for top NFL left tackles and he doesn't even crack top ten on anyone's list, highest I saw him rated was #11. He does rank #2 in the NFL for player with most accepted penalties with 11.

From August 31, 2019:

Tunsil, the No. 13 overall selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, ranks 21st among the 87 tackles with 400-plus pass-blocking snaps over the past two seasons in pass-blocking grade (79.8). In his three years in the NFL, Tunsil has yet to earn a single-season pass-blocking grade below 74.5.
Where Tunsil struggles is the run game. The 6-foot-5, 315-pounder ranks 50th in run-blocking grade (53.8) among the 64 NFL offensive tackles with 400-plus run-blocking snaps over the past two seasons. He’s also yet to earn a single-season run-blocking grade above 62.3 in his career.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
It's unanimous, I agree, it was pass interference and it was not called even after a review... so what!

Are the Texans so weak that with 80% of the game left and you're still tied, 41 - 7 is due to a bad call in the first quarter? What a joke. If we're going to give O'Brien credit for his guys always playing hard lets also blame him for a mentally weak team that gave up after one bad call... you can't have it both ways. And let's not forget this is one of the luckiest teams in the league. They've been handed the AFC South once again with 2 of the 3 teams having to play most of the season so far without the starting QB they planned on this year. It was a bad call, not even close, but we all know how few of these are being overturned this year, they aren't picking on just the Texans. The Texans are way ahead on breaks this year, we need to quit making excuses for them and expect them to overcome setbacks like "good" teams do.

HouTx11

Rookie
My takeaway from this game:

The Texans are exactly who I thought they were at the start of the season: a dumpster fire! This team has not improved from the 21-7 playoff loss at home to the Colts.

The fix: clean house. That means O'Brien and Crennel must be included in the purge. Nothing short of this gets the Texans to the next level.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I Did think of ONE good take away for the day.

In the unlikely event that the Texans face tge Ravens in the playoffs... I like our chances better now. (For some reason I worry when we beat a team in regular season and then face them in the playoffs....unless they are the Bengals.)

Either it is my distrust of the Texans ability to be consistent and do it twice... or...I like rooting for the underdog.... it makes me nervous.

IF there is a next time... maybe they remember this loss.

The only other upside would be if OB got left in Baltimore... but I gave up hope that he would ever leave.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
I Did think of ONE good take away for the day.

In the unlikely event that the Texans face tge Ravens in the playoffs... I like our chances better now. (For some reason I worry when we beat a team in regular season and then face them in the playoffs....unless they are the Bengals.)

Either it is my distrust of the Texans ability to be consistent and do it twice... or...I like rooting for the underdog.... it makes me nervous.

IF there is a next time... maybe they remember this loss.

The only other upside would be if OB got left in Baltimore... but I gave up hope that he would ever leave.
Colts last year.
Beat down followed by a playoff beatdown.

I see what you sayin, but .....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What I saw was a young QB who Harbaugh's DC forced Waston to stay in the pocket and Watson was terrible from the pocket. Those Fumble and Int were ridiculious and you're never going to beat a team like the Ravens with those kinds of mistakes. He ran into 3 sacks in the 1st half alone including the fumble. Watson has below avg accuracy from the pocket. This hasn't improved at all in 3 yrs and I'm beginning to wonder if he will ever learn to step up into the pocket and take a hit while still being able to deliver an accurate ball and be able to consistently do this against playoff level defenses like the one he saw today for 3 games in a row.

I've said this before and so far nothing has happened to change my mind. BOB needed to shorten the game by sticking with the run game and take a few shots down the field today like he did last yr with Watson if other teams are going to make Watson stay in the pocket.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Jesus Christ this fan base is as up and down as the Texans themselves. Before Tunsil went down people were talking about how he was worth the price and now Watson is finally protected etc. He comes back after injury and is still not 100% and he is overrated and over priced.

BoB calls a damn near perfect game against the Jags and now we are ready for the big leagues. Calls a dud against the Ravens and it's all how we are the worst team in the NFL with the worst HC. By the way, Browns say hi.

Watson is having a, mostly, career season and literally has one game go into the HoF and he is jesusincleats and the saviour of Houston football. He craps the bed and let's the pressure get to him and now its do we need a new QB.

I get it, it's frustrating to see the team so white hot and then sub-zero cold but let's not blow it out of proportion here. Maybe we do need a new HC and, hell, maybe we even need a new QB but the season still isnt over and the sky isnt falling. Lot of football left to play.

I dont know maybe I'm just not as upset because Ravens are my number two or maybe I just dont care as much but lot of this seems overblown.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
No, but a pattern of a poorly prepared team... does expose bad coaching....

I agree, one bad game against a good team isnt a big deal... when its the constant theme... the excuses need to stop.
How many bad games like this one have they had in the last 2 yrs.

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
Colts last year.
Beat down followed by a playoff beatdown.

I see what you sayin, but .....
And I was far more worried about getting past the Colts last season than I would have been facing KC.

Im not saying I believe a ravens texans part two ends differently.... just trying to find some hope for going forward since OB isnt going anywhere.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I must say though, that when a team isn't prepare to handle the blitzes with 2 weeks of preparation, it should be on the coaches.
Especially when it happens again and again.
Especially after the numerous times they all said they will correct it.
I said before the game if the Texans lost BOB/Watson should equally share blame. They should equally take the blame because Watson still cant read the blitz and BOB is failing to connect with Watson in teaching him how to read the blitz. I like I've said before they're a bad match.

texan279

Hall of Fame
What I saw was a young QB who Harbaugh's DC forced Waston to stay in the pocket and Watson was terrible from the pocket. Those Fumble and Int were ridiculious and you're never going to beat a team like the Ravens with those kinds of mistakes. He ran into 3 sacks in the 1st half alone including the fumble. Watson has below avg accuracy from the pocket. This hasn't improved at all in 3 yrs and I'm beginning to wonder if he will ever learn to step up into the pocket and take a hit while still being able to deliver an accurate ball and be able to consistently do this against playoff level defenses like the one he saw today for 3 games in a row.

I've said this before and so far nothing has happened to change my mind. BOB needed to shorten the game by sticking with the run game and take a few shots down the field today like he did last yr with Watson if other teams are going to make Watson stay in the pocket.
This. / Endthread

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
How many bad games like this one have they had in the last 2 yrs.
Well, depends on what you are looking for.

IF you want to look at how often they have been blown out.. EXACTLY like today... not often.

IF you want to talk about how often they are ill prepared regardless of the outcome being a win... often enough.

I admit, not all of the Texans ugly games end in a loss... but we are no stranger to seeing an ill prepared team on the field.

I didnt see much of the game today as I have said, but I clearly didnt need to as I have seen it before.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Jesus Christ this fan base is as up and down as the Texans themselves. Before Tunsil went down people were talking about how he was worth the price and now Watson is finally protected etc. He comes back after injury and is still not 100% and he is overrated and over priced.

BoB calls a damn near perfect game against the Jags and now we are ready for the big leagues. Calls a dud against the Ravens and it's all how we are the worst team in the NFL with the worst HC. By the way, Browns say hi.

Watson is having a, mostly, career season and literally has one game go into the HoF and he is jesusincleats and the saviour of Houston football. He craps the bed and let's the pressure get to him and now its do we need a new QB.

I get it, it's frustrating to see the team so white hot and then sub-zero cold but let's not blow it out of proportion here. Maybe we do need a new HC and, hell, maybe we even need a new QB but the season still isnt over and the sky isnt falling. Lot of football left to play.

I dont know maybe I'm just not as upset because Ravens are my number two or maybe I just dont care as much but lot of this seems overblown.
I've always said Tunsil is a "good tackle" and that we overpaid for him. Near perfect game, against the Jags. We could probably pick someone at random off the board who could do it against the Jags as well. We do need an entire new coaching staff. How many different quarterbacks and linemen have we had with the same result? What is the constant? BOB and his crew, who need to hit the bricks.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Jesus Christ this fan base is as up and down as the Texans themselves.
You do understand you're talking about two groups of people right?

The people saying we gave up too much for Tunsil today are the same people saying we gave up too much for Tunsil the day of the trade. They are not the people touting the good season he'd been having.

The people saying Watson sucks are not the same people who were planning his MVP ccampaign last week. Theses people have been sitting & waiting to pounce.

Now... BO'bs play calling, I don't think his fans who were praising him are the people criticizing him. People wait until the opportune time to comment.

ColeThornton

Waterboy
You do understand you're talking about two groups of people right?

The people saying we gave up too much for Tunsil today are the same people saying we gave up too much for Tunsil the day of the trade. They are not the people touting the good season he'd been having.

The people saying Watson sucks are not the same people who were planning his MVP ccampaign last week. Theses people have been sitting & waiting to pounce.

Now... BO'bs play calling, I don't think his fans who were praising him are the people criticizing him. People wait until the opportune time to comment.
Great Point! Besides... as up and down as the Texans are, why shouldn't the fans be the same way.