Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Falcons game.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
There were less TO's today but also less penalties and no sacks.
I think we saw the value of getting your QB into rhythm early today.
Slow starts kill this team.

I wouldn't call it being in rhythm , more about being comfortable in the pocket.

Rhythm to me is when he hits the top of his drop , the balls gone … that wasn't the case more often than not. He'd hit the top of the drop and hold it a tic or two.

Great day by Watson statistically against an atrocious Atlanta defense …. Still things to work on.

Probably going to be a shootout next week …. Watson and OB better bring their A game.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
This was a great day for Watson. He scored a "perfect passer rating" of 158.3.

Here is some general info on how QBR is calculated.

In the National Football League (NFL), the highest official passer rating that a quarterback can achieve is 158.3, which is called a "perfect passer rating". To qualify, during a single game a quarterback must attempt at least 10 passes, have zero interceptions, have a minimum completion percentage of 77.5%, have a minimum of 11.88% of their passes score touchdowns, and have a minimum of 12.5 yards per attempt.

Seven quarterbacks have achieved the feat more than once: Ben Roethlisberger and Peyton Manning have four; Kurt Warner has three; and Craig Morton, Dave Krieg, Ken O'Brien, and Tom Brady have two.

D. Watson 28-33 84.8%, 426 YDS, 5 TD, 158.3 QBR

Of course he is 1 of 3 this year. Dak Prescott & Lamar Jackson both did it on opening day.
Those stats look great but there is one stat that isn't figured into that really that says it all. His number of incomplete passes matches his number of TDs.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
That guy looked like he knew what he was doing. I wonder if we can get a person to manage the timeouts next and keep OB next to Cal in the suite.
Have we considered the idea of just making BoB the GM and bringing in a new HC? I mean hell he seems to enjoy that job more anyway and it has, in theory, more power than the HC.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Great offensive output today. Great day for Watson and Fuller.

Defense had a bad day though. That part is not promising. Overall they got a much needed win.
But now it gets really tough 'cause we travel to KC this weekend who's probably really pizzed after being upset by Indy, then travel to Indy the next weekend.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
But now it gets really tough 'cause we travel to KC this weekend who's probably really pizzed after being upset by Indy, then travel to Indy the next weekend.
With Mahomes hurting his ankle and Erving playing LT the Texans have a shot in Arrowhead this weekend. Missing Hill also doesn't hurt?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
So which game is easier? Beating a pizzed off Chief team in front of their fans two weeks in a row or going to Indy, which handled Texans both games end of last season and just beat KC, in Arrowhead?

Reactions: ROO

Texansballer74

The Marine
We've dealt with injuries a lot over the years. And we have managed to wins some games. So bump the injury stuff going on with KC. Even if they were healthy I believe we still have a shot at beating them.

Any given Sunday

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
He’s lucky steel isn’t asking the questions? Or is steel the lucky one.

Steelbtexan: DeShaun, why are too stupid to run O’Brien’s superb offense?
Watson: *vaults over the podium*

Definitely the over. Which is way below the number of posts last week claiming that Watson is the problem with the team, and is too stupid to run a pro offense.
You guys need to knock it off with this "Stupid" narrative.

Saying Watson isn't suited to running OB's "offense" isn't saying he's too stupid to do so.

General statement - Nor is everyone who disagrees with you or anyone else stupid / moron / idiot.

Lay Off.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Well the narrative about Watson couldn't run O'Brien's EP system shouldn't have been typed on here. Now the joke will always be on the person that started it.

Oh and all opinions matters.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Well the narrative about Watson couldn't run O'Brien's EP system shouldn't have been typed on here. Now the joke will always be on the person that started it.

Oh and all opinions matters.
Not to some... they are facts

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Attending my first game of the year and they put up a 50 burger. You’re welcome Texan nation.
Boss and I were at the game.
Birthday gift Seats in the club level row K sec 312. Arms reach to HEB owner and Scott, face of the HEB franchise.
Had a good time..... but the only way I could ever attend a game. Son drove.
Food was good, luckily it was all paid for. Had a great time but it is all beyond my budget.
Game was great and I thoroughly enjoyed watching the boss have a great time. She loved it.
Did notice a lot of empty seats. Announced attendance 56000+. Didn't win the 50/50. :(

:coffee:

CPTTexan

Waterboy
I'll watch the game in full tonight: Only got to watch an extended highlights clip last night, but some things I noticed:

It seemed they were getting the ball out quickly on several plays.
Watson is, in fact, an accurate passer....contrary to what some posters think....okay...it's just 1 poster.
Fuller impressed with his huge game....can he keep it up?
Our running game is stout and Hyde/Johnson are a heck of a tandem. Can O'Brien continue to use them properly? Still think Johnson should be utilized more than he is.
O-Line protection not giving up a sack was impressive. I'm aware Watson had to scramble several times to avoid, but that's his game anyway.
Do we need to take a look at kickers? Although it seems this year is an off year for kicking in general.
Can we keep it up?

Interesting statistic that will surprise absolutely no one:
Teams we've beaten are: 5-10
Teams we've been beaten by are: 7-3

Beating bad teams is an O'Brien specialty. Even bad teams beat bad teams. Can we consistently beat good teams?

Remaining Schedule:
Kansas City - Indy gave us the formula. Can we utilize it effectively and capitalize?
Indy - gonna be tough any way you look at it. Divisional opponents are always tough and Indy is better than most expected minus Luck
Oakland - Would've called this an easy game, but it seems they are starting to figure it out.
Jacksonville - See Indy....and Minshew keeps getting better the more he plays.
Bye - We should win this easily! :)
Baltimore - Should be fun to watch between Jackson and Watson.
Indy - Same as above
New England - I don't have high hopes but these are the games we need to win and look good in to be taken seriously.
Denver - We should win, but I don't think they are as bad as their record. This is a game that is generally a trap....can we overcome it?
Ten - Same as Indy and Jax
Tampa Bay - Which TB team shows up?
Ten - same as before

mussop

Hall of Fame
With Mahomes hurting his ankle and Erving playing LT the Texans have a shot in Arrowhead this weekend. Missing Hill also doesn't hurt?
Hopefully we will run the ball down their throats. The chiefs cannot stop the run. The colts held a 36:00 to 22:45 TOP against the chiefs. Running back Marlon Mach had a career-high 29 carries for 132 yards as well as three receptions for 16 yards. We need to control the game with Hyde and take shots occasionally. You don’t want to get into a shootout with KC.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Find the quote. Lets see the context.
I have the quote above this a few posts. The entire thread is about Watson. He was directly speaking with another poster about Watson being stupid. The other poster said like Fitz, Os, Keenum, Hoyer etc. Steel's response was the other guys had good years, but Os is stupid TOO (meaning Watson is stupid like OS). Feel free to go look for yourself.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 16h16 hours ago
Texans WR Keke Coutee on Falcons' defense: 'We knew they were a pretty basic defense that wasn’t going to do too much. They were going to keep running the same thing over and over. Once we kind of found out their kinks they had, we just started capitalizing on our opportunities'

We aren't going to have that benefit against KC

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 15h15 hours ago
Texans' Johnathan Joseph on if Falcons' Calvin Ridley stepped out of bounds on touchdown catch: '100 percent'

I'm pretty sure he did too but the replay was inconclusive because of the angle of the camera in relation to the first down marker. It blocks the sideline in the view I saw - at least that's what I saw on the stadium replay.

Regardless it was a hell of an effort.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Not to hype up this win but coming into this game Falcons were ranked 7th in pass defense. You look at those catches that Nuk and Fuller made and they were great throws by Watson but those boys were winning the 1v1. That's old hat for Nuk but Fuller use to have to out run the guy to beat him.

Exactly there defense isn't as bad as some have made it out to be.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The Texans defense doesn't appear at all ready for Mahomes.

Hopefully Watson can take advantage of their weak defense as well. At least the last two weeks the KC offense looked a lot more stoppable.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The Texans defense doesn't appear at all ready for Mahomes.

Hopefully Watson can take advantage of their weak defense as well. At least the last two weeks the KC offense looked a lot more stoppable.
The only chance we have is if the front 7 can get sacks and QB hits. Mahomes doesn't have a lot of experience in that environment, and last night showed it can take a toll on him.

We only win if we score a lot of points. Hopefully, the "new" offense shows up.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
The only chance we have is if the front 7 can get sacks and QB hits. Mahomes doesn't have a lot of experience in that environment, and last night showed it can take a toll on him.

Mahomes was calling out his receivers lack of being able to beat man coverage. He mentioned 3 different games where they suffered from that going all the way back to the NE loss last season. The Texans unfortunately don't have CB's who have that as a strength, but the Chiefs are clearly struggling there from their receivers. They are mainly speedsters other than Kelce.

The Texans offense is totally different from week to week, so I don't think there is much of an idea which one will show up. It's anyone's guess at this point.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I only watched the highlights of that game but it didn't appear Mahomes could plant on the throw after the ankle got rolled.

If he's gimpy like that next week , they could look much like they did last night ….

He's really been beat up the last two weeks , couldn't pick a better time to play them

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Where's Jam to start the KC thread? Anyway, I'm a bit worried about something I'm seeing is Watt is getting through to the QB but then he actually misses him. We really saw it against the Pants but it happened a couple of times against the Failcons as well. Mahomes can move fast enough that you may only get one shot at him.

Reactions: ROO

Texansballer74

The Marine
Where's Jam to start the KC thread? Anyway, I'm a bit worried about something I'm seeing is Watt is getting through to the QB but then he actually misses him. We really saw it against the Pants but it happened a couple of times against the Failcons as well. Mahomes can move fast enough that you may only get one shot at him.
Watt is proned to that from time to time. He did it against Dallas, Romo made a move and then threw a game winning touchdown.

Dak shrugged him off a few years ago and hit us with a big play.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
I went from "This could be OB's last game" to "we could win the Super Bowl" . I know, a bit of an overreaction but they looked soooo good on offense and defense. I'm worried Fairbairn is gonna cost us a game here shortly
Slow your roll there brother. lets beat KC then we might can have some SB talk. Matt Ryan ain't even close to Mahomes and he still was getting time to get the ball out and his WRs were making catches. If that happens against KC then its an offense shootout and I'm not sure our quick draw is good enough for that. In our favor though is that KC doesn't have much in the way of defense and Hyde and Duke are looking good. They couldn't stop Indy on the run so we might can do the same.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I noticed where you didn't quite my post in Fire BOB thread where I said stupid was too harsh of a word and said after 3 years Watson still didn't get the EP system and that I was glad BOB went back to the offense Watson did fully understand.

But nice of you trying to paint the picture you believe me be. You couldn't be more wrong.

I wonder why you would leave that post out of all of those posts you quoted?