Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Browns game.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What in particular makes you believe he's got that potential?

Well, I'm glad about that. Just wish I saw what he sees.
He's got the physical traits to be a franchise QB. Strong arm, quick release and he appears to be a smart, hardworking guy

He just needs to work on his accuracy and footwork. Particularly when he's on the move. I think with Pep teaching and Mills getting used to the NFL game, he can improve in these areas. Mills is said to be a hard worker.

safeties tell everything and according to 76, there were only 2 people out in route so while we don’t know definitively what was supposed to happen, Sounds like Mills made the right read on who to go to of the 2 out in route…based what 76 says the safety did, he just put the ball in the wrong area for Cooks…

Based on that alone, I still think Cooks may have confused Mills by how he ran his route, but without seeing the play for myself from the All-22, I can’t make that determination.
Lets see, trust Stoerner or 76's evals of that play? When I saw the play live and saw where the DB's were Mills threw the ball where the DB's weren't. That's something tangible that Mills/Cooks can work on, but it wont happen in this short week most likely.

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He's got the physical traits to be a franchise QB. Strong arm, quick release and he appears to be a smart, hardworking guy

He just needs to work on his a

Lets see, trust Stoerner or 76's evals of that play? When I saw the play live and saw where the DB's were Mills threw the ball where the DB's weren't. That's something tangible that Mills/Cooks can work on, but it wont happen in this short week most likely.
When I see Stoerner, I'd be sure to discuss the play.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
?

Are you a Stoner?
Wow Man, that's a far-out, heavy thing ! Had a friend that actually said that out loud at another friend's dinner table - parents were a Baptist Preacher and wife .... 1971 !

Finally figured out Clint Stoerner .... he's Jerry Clower's illegitimate love child !

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Wow Man, that's a far-out, heavy thing ! Had a friend that actually said that out loud at another friend's dinner table - parents were a Baptist Preacher and wife .... 1971 !

Finally figured out Clint Stoerner .... he's Jerry Clower's illegitimate love child !
Yep, and typically 76 doesn't get my sense of humor.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
Nobody said anything about being a Day 1 starter.

3rd string & not expected to play is where I thought Davis Mills should be. That they were thinking with development he would have been considered a 1st round QB. So I didn't think he would be activated on game day. Even made a bet, lost, & paid up because he was active day 1.

So... what you're telling me is that the teams that drafted Mond & Trask did not think they were ready to come in & play if something were to happen to their starter, but the Texans did. That's my issue.

I'm hoping for the best for Davis Mills & would have gone a different route to get him ready to play in 2022.
I asked this before but I really didn't understand your answer. How many QBs should the Texans carry? The way you are talking it should be at least 4. TT as the starter, ???? as the backup, Mills holding a clip board and not even a possibility of playing and Watson on the bench trying to figure out what Hardin changed his Instagram password to. So then if TT stays true to form and gets hurt, which he did, do you roll the dice that the mystery QB can last all season or do you then bring in a 5th QB as the backup? To me even carry 4 is to many but given the Texans situation I could kind of see it but at the same time its not like they are in contention so why not let the rookie play and really see what you've got? At worst you wasted a 3rd round pick which is worth the roll of the dice on a QB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
How many QBs should the Texans carry? The way you are talking it should be at least 4.
The Texans are carrying 4 now. Taylor, Mills, Driskel, Watson.

I don't like Driskel (I used to), They should have brought someone else... & maybe that's why they cut Finley (because he wasn't practice squad eligible). But if this is the way they're going to go, then Driskel should be the backup. I believe Tyrod will be back this season. He'll be the starter when he comes back.

why not let the rookie play and really see what you've got?
He only played 11 games in college. He "shouldn't" be ready to start. Instead of learning how to play QB, he's probably going to spend most of his time learning how to get up. How to avoid the free rusher you missed, how to hold on to the ball when your clock gets cleaned. How to assume the fetal position in time not to get seriously hurt & not look like a wuss at the same time.

I don't think you should throw a young QB you feel has potential into a game like today's NFL. You're inviting bad habits that will be almost impossible to overcome. Basically ruining your prospect & throwing away whatever you spent to get him.

Like I said though... "shouldn't"

David Culley & Pep Hamilton obviously feel he's ready.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I don't like Driskel (I used to), They should have brought someone else... & maybe that's why they cut Finley (because he wasn't practice squad eligible). But if this is the way they're going to go, then Driskel should be the backup. I believe Tyrod will be back this season. He'll be the starter when he comes back.

He only played 11 games in college. He "shouldn't" be ready to start. Instead of learning how to play QB, he's probably going to spend most of his time learning how to get up. How to avoid the free rusher you missed, how to hold on to the ball when your clock gets cleaned. How to assume the fetal position in time not to get seriously hurt & not look like a wuss at the same time.

I don't think you should throw a young QB you feel has potential into a game like today's NFL. You're inviting bad habits that will be almost impossible to overcome. Basically ruining your prospect & throwing away whatever you spent to get him.

At least, Mills have a better Oline than Carr did.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

I see your point and I do agree with you in principle. I didn't realize Driskel was already on the team so yeah I could see playing him or if you think he is really bad cut him and get someone else. That being said though Mills only took 1 sack against the Browns. Granted he only played half a game and the Browns aren't exactly sacking machines but still it wasn't like he got the David Carr treatment. Me I would go ahead and let him play against the Pants because no matter how few college games he got its not like he can go back and get more now. We saw with Savage that holding a clipboard doesn't come close to actually playing. With that in mind though I would be ready to pull him and put Driskel in if it looks like he is getting clobbered or is having to run for his life every play. If the Oline can keep him reasonably safe though then yeah let him throw.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Y’all watched Driskel in preseason right?

As bad as Mills seems right now Driskel is worse.

Let the Rook learn.
So you have to ask yourself if you're trying to win games, or develop a young QB.

Driskel does nothing to help us win games. But it may very well have been his PS eligibility that they liked most.

If you think it helps Davis Mills to start him against a team that avgs 5 sacks a game... go for it. I wish they had a better plan in place.

Or they believe he's ready. He didn't look too bad past that first series. I'm hoping this is the case.

& that we give up 0 sacks tonight.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
So you have to ask yourself if you're trying to win games, or develop a young QB.

Driskel does nothing to help us win games. But it may very well have been his PS eligibility that they liked most.

If you think it helps Davis Mills to start him against a team that avgs 5 sacks a game... go for it. I wish they had a better plan in place.

Or they believe he's ready. He didn't look too bad past that first series. I'm hoping this is the case.

& that we give up 0 sacks tonight.
We have a better chance to win games and develop a young quarterback with mills in there.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The run game really ought to be better than it's been showing.
Agree. Like I said, the OL is moving bodies. But it seems like they have more bodies than we do. I'm wondering if they get the young'n Scottie Mitchell in there, does he have enough burst to get him through the line & into the open field. The three musketeers obviously don't.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Agree. Like I said, the OL is moving bodies. But it seems like they have more bodies than we do. I'm wondering if they get the young'n Scottie Mitchell in there, does he have enough burst to get him through the line & into the open field. The three musketeers obviously don't.
Yeah we need to see if he's the type of guy that can get skinny through the hole.