Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Broncos game.

I was wondering if the team would go backwards after that big win. We left in the 3rd quarter when it was obvious that we were not going to win. It looked like they had spent the whole week patting themselves on the back for the Pats win instead of building on it. It's a normal reaction for a team without previous constructive feedback to feel like big shots, they should have been given direction by the coaching staff. Coach BO ought to take care of business. It doesn't look like he did that this week.

Yes. Unprofessional all around. And to include Romeo...

RAC: "Guys, we're gonna do the same thing we did vs New England."
Defense: "You mean, pressure the QB into bad throws and shutting down the run?"
RAC: "Nah, just what we did the last 2 minutes; let 'em catch all their passes in front of us and avoid tackling them to run out the clock. Oh, and Brady didn't have Gronk, so we need to get back to showcasing an opposing TE."

[Nice to see Fant and Jewell do well, after seeing them up here in Iowa. Texans should scout AJ Epenesa for their pass rush.]

Last edited:
Of course it does. My point is, drafting is a bit of a gamble and when you average out your DHops and Okoyes, Tunsil wouldn't be a disaster.

I still endorse the trade. It's not nearly as bad as some make out. And I can see the counter-argument that trading up in 2020 for an LT would cost similar and may only yield the same result.

The real error in my view was in not negotiating a contract extension as part of the trade.
FROM THE WELCOME TUNSIL thread:

I keep on hearing head scratching and full-blown criticism of our GM not having locked up Tunsil with a long-term contract "pre-arranged" or negotiated immediately following the trade. Those people may want to rethink their criticism and may want to remember what's coming up in 2021..............like, the new CBA.

Agents for very high profile players especially are telling their clients, if their contracts did not end by 2020, they should not sign new contracts until after the new CBA is in place.............as the team salary caps and player potential revenues are anticipated to be bumped significantly.

Players are getting extension as we speak and quite a few players got extended two years earlier. So gents why are some of y’all acting like it’s far-fetched to think Tunsil would want to get extended two years earlier. If agents are telling their clients to wait then why are some players getting extended right now?

Example:
1. DE JJ Watt signed a six year, $100 million contract extension with the Houston Texans on September 2, 2014. Watt had two years remaining on his contract, meaning the new deal will run through the 2021 season
2. Carson Wentz and the Eagles agreed to a four-year extension through 2024, the team announced Thursday. Wentz's deal is worth $128 million, and up to $144 million, with $66 million fully guaranteed at signing and $107.9 million in guarantees, a source told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport. The Eagles quarterback had two years remaining on his rookie deal after Philly picked up his fifth-year option on Apr. 29. Now, Wentz is the first NFL QB signed through the 2024 season.

None of the examples you have listed presented the circumstances surrounding the upcoming new CBA.

Watt.........I was not talking about whether a player could or could not have their contract extended before their contract is up............the decision for Watt's early contract extension in 2014 was entirely unaffected by the new CBA in 2021

Wentz...........guaranteed monies ended by 2019................couldn't wait for the new CBA in 2021

Thompson............was playing this year under the 5th year option.................his contract and any guaranteed monies was up this year..............again couldn't wait for the new CBA in 2021

Tunsil............because the Dolphins exercised the 5th year option, his contract runs through 2020 with him getting a tidy salary of $10.5 mil next season...........he and his agent can wait...........they always had the leverage

Or the JJ Watt's and DeAndre Hopkins.

Works both ways.
It always seems like there are a lot more Travis Johnson's and Amobi Akoye's being picked by the Texans than Watt's or Hopkins, though. I understand that is true for every team, but still.

Of course it does. My point is, drafting is a bit of a gamble and when you average out your DHops and Okoyes, Tunsil wouldn't be a disaster.

I still endorse the trade. It's not nearly as bad as some make out. And I can see the counter-argument that trading up in 2020 for an LT would cost similar and may only yield the same result.

The real error in my view was in not negotiating a contract extension as part of the trade.

Average out?? Andre Johnson, Dunta Robinson, Mario Williams, Duane Brown, Brian Cushing, Kareem Jackson......

Point is, yeah, a couple of times they struck out on a #1 pick...it happens...but for the most part, those picks are big contributors.

I get that you've got to pay a heavy price to get a big LT to protect your franchise QB, but that doesn't mean the LT you got isn't a swing and miss. And not saying he is...yet.

I know it took Duane Brown a few years to become the All-Pro stud that he was, but he only cost you ONE 1st round pick. This NFL leader in penalties cost you TWO.

That particular trade though, I'm fine with rolling the dice because you really had no other options, but it doesn't mean it's a trade that worked out. The way I see it, the jury is still out on that.

Titans are playing great. The Texans really needed to win this game to keep some breathing room between them and the Titans. Nothing is ever easy with this team.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Titmice make us their statement win there, then we lose confidence and end up 8-8 and Flat Bill gets fired (can't lose the division to your former LB coach in his 2nd year after losing a playoff game at home to a division rival with a 1st-year head coach).

Also wouldn't surprise me if the Texans win the next 3. Because they've always done well when doubted and have beaten some great teams on the road this year, much better than I expected, starting out with a new secondary and offensive line. Then they won't have their back against the wall in the home playoff game and lose and Flat Bill is fired anyway. Kind of like the Rockets losing at home to the Durant-less Warriors: "eh, just hand it to us or we're not interested."

Reactions: ROO
That particular trade though, I'm fine with rolling the dice because you really had no other options, but it doesn't mean it's a trade that worked out. The way I see it, the jury is still out on that.

I agree. Those who said "we need to wait a year or two to know if the draft was good" should not now being saying "time's up, everything worked out great." Howard may turn out to be an unplayable injury magnet and Andre Dillard a joke.

He was also praising how great RAC and how so many people here are too hard on RAC and don’t appreciate him enough with what he has done with the defense.

I would not put that guy up as clairvoyant.

Rc is the best coach on this staff. I rather have him as hc than O’Brien. How do you think the defense feels when they know they have a top 5 offense but they don’t put up points until the 3 rd qtr. I understand why O’Brien didn’t want to draft Watson. Rick Smith should have just drafted a defensive star because ob isn’t consistent with talented offensive players. Rc with defensive talent is better than ob with his offense. I’m glad we got deshaun. We just need a new coach. He fkd up our draft picks and he isn’t a consistent play caller

Rc is the best coach on this staff. I rather have him as hc than O’Brien. How do you think the defense feels when they know they have a top 5 offense but they don’t put up points until the 3 rd qtr. I understand why O’Brien didn’t want to draft Watson. Rick Smith should have just drafted a defensive star because ob isn’t consistent with talented offensive players. Rc with defensive talent is better than ob with his offense. I’m glad we got deshaun. We just need a new coach. He fkd up our draft picks and he isn’t a consistent play caller

Best coach on the staff is like finding the cleanest dirty shirt.

They all suck. That all need to be fired.

Hire Greg Roman.

We have some good players on the team. The season is not done. The Texans need to work their butts off and be smart. There was a good game plan last week and we went for the gusto. We need to try and make all the games that important.
Won’t happen.. ob isn’t known as a winner. Sure our qb is a winner but before Watson was drafted here. Ob already had a questionable reputation. Watson and ob doesn’t mix. Sure he can carry him for some games because he’s great but the long run will show he’s another Marvin Lewis. He just doesn’t have it. I wish we had the colts hc. That guy seems legit

Last edited:
Won’t happen.. ob isn’t know as a winner. Sure our qb is a winner but before Watson was drafted here. Ob already had a questionable reputation. Watson and ob doesn’t mix. Sure he can carry him for some games because he’s great but the long run will show he’s another Marvin Lewis. He just doesn’t have it. I wish we had the colts hc. That guy seems legit

Watson is in major decline.

I think we need a head coach w/ killer instinct. I don't even care if he knows what x's and o's are. I just want a guy that looks like he might ram his head through a brick wall on the sidelines that can will his team to victory. Maybe an MMA guy that knows how to delegate or something. Enough of this wilting team personality.

FROM THE WELCOME TUNSIL thread:

That's a fair point, and I admit ignorance to how hard the Texans may have tried to include an extension, and indeed Tunsil's willingness to sign a deal until the new CBA.

My point would probably be better stated by expressing that the trade will ultimately be viewed as a failure if it comes down to all those picks for a rental.

Assuming Tunsil re-ups, the trade is not unreasonable in my opinion.

Yes and now, it being "must win" for tge Texans... their odds are better they fail than succeed and I am NOT okay with a Titans led AFC South. Jags, livable. Colts, used to it....

Titans.... its..just an unspeakable abomination... especially when the Texans could have all but banished the Titans hopes.... instead... the gave the Titans all the more motivation to play hard next week.

Hopefully the old curse is stronger than the new one and the Titans fail miserably next week.

Trust me, those of us in Nashville are pretty much in shock too. We've won 4 in a row, 5 of the last 6 in the Tannehill era. Before we managed to always figure out a way to lose to the Colts or lose on the west coast. Not anymore.

Tannehill is playing with video game stats regarding efficiency. He's still not having to sling it around the yard 40 times a game when you have Derrick Henry in the backfield. But he's making the most of the passes. The Titans had 554 yards of total offense with an average gain per play of 9.4(!) yards including a 91 yard passing strike. Tannehill had 391 passing yards on only 27 attempts (21 completed). He was not sacked. Rookie A.J. Brown had 5 catches for 153 yards including the aforementioned 91 yard reception for a TD. Derrick Henry had 18 rushes for 103 yards before he was shut down in the 4th quarter with a dinged up hammy that had bothered him all game (his 4th straight 100+ yard performance).

So now we face Houston in Nashville. If I had to be worried about anything, it's our secondary, who are very dinged up right now. For the corners, Malcom Butler is on IR; Adoree Jackson didn't play this week, nor Lashawn Sims who is the best backup. So we were working with lots of depth players (Logan Ryan is still playing well except for one blown play today for an easy Oakland TD). And Kenny Vaccaro left the game with a concussion...no idea if he'll be available next Sunday. On offense, Derrick Henry's hammy is still trouble and it was slowing him down as the game wore on (he still was running through people). I doubt he'll practice much this week to try to get it as good as possible. TE Delanie Walker is on IR (but we haven't missed him much lately). And our field goal kicking game is still very suspect....Ryan Succop missed another one today although the snap was bad. I think we may be the only team in the NFL under 50% for field goals.

But most of all, the Titan players now believe that they are beat you guys and take control of the division. Considering that the Steelers still control the tiebreaker on the wildcard against us, the division title is the best way for us to make the playoffs.

They do nothing well. No staples, lbs still cant cover. Where was Duke in the passing game? The rookie making his 2nd start had 5 passes hit the ground.

Texans are like the Texas weather. In the morning you will be wearing shorts and by the afternoon, get out the jacket. Inconsistency is the only constant with this team and is the only thing holding this team back from a true Super Bowl run. The answer? Well read my first sentence, there is no clear answer today. If we could trade head coaches, like say for Belichick in 2020 or maybe resurrect Tom Landry, would the team be better and more consistent with the palyers we have now? Is the answer as simple as this?

The only takeaway from me is the same old **** I've said in here a thousand billion times. Until we get rid of that ******* asshat OB this team will always be schizoid, never dependable from week to week, and **** stays the same in Houston land.

Trust me, those of us in Nashville are pretty much in shock too. We've won 4 in a row, 5 of the last 6 in the Tannehill era. Before we managed to always figure out a way to lose to the Colts or lose on the west coast. Not anymore.

Tannehill is playing with video game stats regarding efficiency. He's still not having to sling it around the yard 40 times a game when you have Derrick Henry in the backfield. But he's making the most of the passes. The Titans had 554 yards of total offense with an average gain per play of 9.4(!) yards including a 91 yard passing strike. Tannehill had 391 passing yards on only 27 attempts (21 completed). He was not sacked. Rookie A.J. Brown had 5 catches for 153 yards including the aforementioned 91 yard reception for a TD. Derrick Henry had 18 rushes for 103 yards before he was shut down in the 4th quarter with a dinged up hammy that had bothered him all game (his 4th straight 100+ yard performance).

So now we face Houston in Nashville. If I had to be worried about anything, it's our secondary, who are very dinged up right now. For the corners, Malcom Butler is on IR; Adoree Jackson didn't play this week, nor Lashawn Sims who is the best backup. So we were working with lots of depth players (Logan Ryan is still playing well except for one blown play today for an easy Oakland TD). And Kenny Vaccaro left the game with a concussion...no idea if he'll be available next Sunday. On offense, Derrick Henry's hammy is still trouble and it was slowing him down as the game wore on (he still was running through people). I doubt he'll practice much this week to try to get it as good as possible. TE Delanie Walker is on IR (but we haven't missed him much lately). And our field goal kicking game is still very suspect....Ryan Succop missed another one today although the snap was bad. I think we may be the only team in the NFL under 50% for field goals.

But most of all, the Titan players now believe that they are beat you guys and take control of the division. Considering that the Steelers still control the tiebreaker on the wildcard against us, the division title is the best way for us to make the playoffs.
Would love to talk some football when the Titans thread is up.
I've been saying that the Titans were starting to build a fairly competitive roster since last year, and have continued to do so this year.
This division is becoming pretty competitive now as far as talents go.
It seems like which team can stack up more depth to sustain the injuries would have the best chance to come out ahead.
Right now, I see all 4 teams with multiple key injuries; it's been a pretty crazy year in that regard.

Would love to talk some football when the Titans thread is up.
I've been saying that the Titans were starting to build a fairly competitive roster since last year, and have continued to do so this year.
This division is becoming pretty competitive now as far as talents go.
It seems like which team can stack up more depth to sustain the injuries would have the best chance to come out ahead.
Right now, I see all 4 teams with multiple key injuries; it's been a pretty crazy year in that regard.

Don’t do it.

Traitor

Just kidding lol

Last edited by a moderator:
DENVER BRONCOS
Granted a good amount of his 309 passing yards were collected on significantly busted coverages, Drew Lock displayed tremendous poise throughout the game. The Texans’ defensive line actually put consistent pressure on the Missouri alum. However, Lock never ducked away from the approaching defenders, kept his eyes downfield and made only a single costly mistake in the 38-24 victory. His most impressive pass of the day was aimed toward Tim Patrick on a go that collected 37 yards, 33 in the air, with Vernon Hargreaves III in coverage.
In addition to the stellar day for Lock, Phillip Lindsay made the most of available lanes with many forced away from the intended gaps. Iowa rookie tight end Noah Fant began Lock’s big yardage day on the offenses very first play with a 48-yard gain on a busted coverage. He added the majority of his receiving yards total on coverage busts before leaving late with an injury.
Safety Kareem Jackson enacted revenge on his former team. The veteran defensive back made big play after big play. It started with him taking a lateral from Jeremiah Attaochu and returning it 70 yards for a touchdown in the first quarter. He also had a couple of pass breakups, an interception and a few key stops.
While Denver did a solid job in coverage, they struggled against the run early on. Specifically, they were gashed by Carlos Hyde, as he consistently found wide-open rushing lanes. Fortunately for Denver, the major shift in the game script forced the Texans to almost completely abandon the run.
HOUSTON TEXANS
With the Broncos putting 38 on the scoreboard, a good amount of tackle opportunities would be expected to be available, and linebacker Zach Cunningham stacked the stat sheet well over a dozen total tackles. Whenever the Texans' defense made a defensive stop, it seemed Cunningham was either involved or very near the play. He also collected multiple tackles for loss, proving to be the lone bright spot on defense, sans DJ Reader and crew along the defensive line.
It was a very long day for linebackers in coverage other than Cunningham, and for the entire secondary going up against a rookie quarterback with one NFL start under his belt. The only defensive back that stood out was Tashaun Gipson Sr., who collected the only interception when Lock misread the coverage on a back-shoulder go to Courtland Sutton in the third quarter.
DeAndre Hopkins seemed to be the only receiver that could get open for the Texans. Hopkins produced a monster day, which was heavily aided by his 43-yard touchdown catch against busted coverage midway through the third quarter.
With Houston's receivers struggling to get separation, Deshaun Watson improvised by escaping the pocket to create new throwing lanes. Despite the effort, many of his throws were made short of the markers, as Hopkins was his only reliable deep threat.

Texans are like the Texas weather. In the morning you will be wearing shorts and by the afternoon, get out the jacket. Inconsistency is the only constant with this team and is the only thing holding this team back from a true Super Bowl run. The answer? Well read my first sentence, there is no clear answer today. If we could trade head coaches, like say for Belichick in 2020 or maybe resurrect Tom Landry, would the team be better and more consistent with the palyers we have now? Is the answer as simple as this?
For sure.
Either Belichik or Landry would make this team a legitimate contender.

OB is just OK.
(Cue in the Ad in the pre-surgery room with that

This team is so Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde …. You never know which one is going to show up.

Went back and watched the NE game again , that NE offense is really gimped , if a team can stuff the run and double team Edelman …. they got nothing else.
So … despite that 10-3 record , made against a bunch of patsy's …. that team isn't as good as their record reflects. They are 2-3 vs teams .500 or better and all three of those losses coming against AFC Division leaders - Baltimore , KC and Houston.

That win didn't mean what we wanted it to mean …. That wasn't "The Patriots Machine" that was a very flawed , mediocre team that got thumped on the road.

This team just wasn't ready to play , the game plan was poor , the defense couldn't stop what has been an anemic offense all season from picking up big chunks all day long and the offense was just plain offensive again …

This Jekyll and Hyde syndrome is a reflection of the coaching staff ….

I kinda like how this schedule played out , two games left with the tInbreds which may decide the division. The Titans pretty much have to win both games while the Texans can afford a split and there are scenario's where both could make the playoffs.

I don't know if there is any silver lining to this season …. I don't expect them to get past either the Ravens or the Chiefs despite the fact that they beat them earlier this season. Hell , they may not beat the Bills in the Wildcard round.
Nor do I expect OB to be gone even if they fail to make the playoffs.

We'll be watching this same Jekyll and Hyde team next year ….

Same **** different year. This team gets your Hope's up then reminds you they're still not a contender. Every single time the team has an opportunity to to take advantage of something they never reach that ceiling and now we're in a hole again against a hot team who I think has a better coach.

The inability to be consistent kills all optimism no ones trusts the Texans and the narrative that we're a good not great team remains. Nothing will change either. So you're expectations stay at playoffs but never Super Bowl.

It's not even worth breaking down as I need a couple days to get over the "why bother when I know how this ends" feeling. Yippie we're the 4 seed now as I have to watch Shannahan, Harbaugh, Reid get more out of the QBs and teams and even watch coaches like Vrabrel, Vic, Reich do more with less. A talented QB can't elevate a mediocre long term. He can get you to the playoffs but you need more to reach the SB.

Maybe the QB is just to inconsistent to win 3 games in a row. Which is what he will have to do in the playoffs.

This team is so Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde …. You never know which one is going to show up.

Went back and watched the NE game again , that NE offense is really gimped , if a team can stuff the run and double team Edelman …. they got nothing else.
So … despite that 10-3 record , made against a bunch of patsy's …. that team isn't as good as their record reflects. They are 2-3 vs teams .500 or better and all three of those losses coming against AFC Division leaders - Baltimore , KC and Houston.

That win didn't mean what we wanted it to mean …. That wasn't "The Patriots Machine" that was a very flawed , mediocre team that got thumped on the road.

This team just wasn't ready to play , the game plan was poor , the defense couldn't stop what has been an anemic offense all season from picking up big chunks all day long and the offense was just plain offensive again …

This Jekyll and Hyde syndrome is a reflection of the coaching staff ….

I kinda like how this schedule played out , two games left with the tInbreds which may decide the division. The Titans pretty much have to win both games while the Texans can afford a split and there are scenario's where both could make the playoffs.

I don't know if there is any silver lining to this season …. I don't expect them to get past either the Ravens or the Chiefs despite the fact that they beat them earlier this season. Hell , they may not beat the Bills in the Wildcard round.
Nor do I expect OB to be gone even if they fail to make the playoffs.

We'll be watching this same Jekyll and Hyde team next year ….

Could Jekyll and Hyde have anything to do with QB play?

My take away..... what is up with all this zone defense ? We have this secondary with all these first rounders and you put your guys 10-15 yards back every play and give the WRs a free release. It almost screwed us at the end of the patriots game, and it "helped" screw us against the Broncos. Put those guys on the line and have them jam the WR every now and then.

How does one team go from looking like a real NFL team to a JV team from week to week? I turned it off in the second quarter. It was unwatchable. Until we get a new coaching staff and a real GM we aren't going anywhere. 2 first round picks for a left tackle that false starts almost every play (even if not flagged) is inexcusable.

Maybe the QB is just to inconsistent to win 3 games in a row. Which is what he will have to do in the playoffs.
Could Jekyll and Hyde have anything to do with QB play?

No matter how many times you repeat this. If a defense shows up in one of the three games and allows five plays of 25 yards or more. Five consecutive scoring drives and 31 points to any team, you are not winning 3 games in a row. Regardless of QB play.

Until BO'brien is held accountable by ownership, we will be a rudderless ship in the middle of a hurricane. We need a coach that is not worried about if he's a big shot or not. His priorities are skewed and besides that, he's bottom 1% as a game coach. As far as his GM abilities (yes he is our GM no matter what he says about that management team of Belichik castoffs), the answer will be fully evident on Draft Day One when the Texans have nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs.

Fk this team. Full of nitwit losers. Tunsil crying about being targeted when he easily could of been called 5 times. Whitney Mercilous (and others) spinning around Martin and celebrating a sack playing air guitar while down three TDs. This team is a joke and has NO self awareness whatsoever.

this city deserves better. Every time i watch the 49ers it makes me sick that we didn’t get Shanahan.

I understand DW didn't have a good game. But I don't understand why you're singling out the QB? It was a total disaster for the whole squad. Even if Watson had a good game, we're still losing because the defense had no answer for Drew Lock. The Broncos offense was doing whatever they wanted.

Watson provided the only exciting plays yesterday but he was all over the place - without checking out the ALL 22 and watching the routes develop I wonder what the hell was going on in the intermediate passing game - it feels like we were back to the OBrien EP - you guys can even go back to the TD to Hopkins for an example of a typical OBrien route deployment. It was successful yes due to the defensive lapse, but look at the 3 streaking guys .. how long before they even look back for the ball? you telling me you need to help out our shiny, new "all pro" LT with max protect to his side? Coutee is trash. Why cant Stills play Fullers role? Whats so hard about running fast down the field and keeping the D honest? What happened to Duke Johnson in the passing game? "Deshaun holds the ball forever" -- yup. Tell the receivers to make their breaks quicker. Add a drag. Where was the presnap motion? Hardly any of what we saw last week.

Coaches also looked past Denver, they didnt think that a rookie QB would come in there and do that to them. Until this team implements true layer passing consistently, defenses will always be able to pressure Deshaun and force the team out of sync and it goes way deeper than the surface level "Deshaun cant read a defense" .. a hyper attacking D is crushing the very tenet of what the "OBrien EP" wants to do - long developing, deep passing. Saying "there is a guy open" out of 5 is not saying much, because the progression in the scheme has Deshaun looking downfield first (or his own HERO BALL), well its up to coaching to say at the meetings "this week we want to attack Denvers flanks, with methodical mid level passing and the RB flats/screens" whatever ... what do you think could have been the approach yesterday? HOw often do we see OBrien/Watson meetings on the sideline? Its almost like we're starting to see some cracks in the foundation so to speak by the body language of everyone involved during the game and during the post game press conferences.

KJAX was the XFactor - he knew exactly where OBrien/Watson would go with the ball and he showed up to the ball full of piss and vinegar - he versed his new team well and they kicked our ass all over the field. Where the hell was Roby? Didnt he want to "show up his old team" especially versus a ROOKIE QB?? These guys should have been licking their chops, instead they were left licking their wounds. KJAX >>>>>> Roby. We picked the wrong guy. Again.

Watson was bad. He took some unnecessary hits, didnt see the field well. going through the motions. He was still our best player on the field. If you take away the 7 points OBrien gave away right before the half (already questionable to go for it there, and then compound that by calling a pass play??? ouch), and the "is he down" KJAX lateral return TD then it becomes a coin flip game. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. I was so excited too, I saw some wrinkles at the beginning of the game that were really good implementations, but it went all for not because most of the team was just staring at butterflies all afternoon.

Distressing part is that starting off slow is not relegated to these types of games. Starting off slow is almost the OBrien hallmark and what his "offense" is known for. If designing great plays isnt his job, and the players execution is not his job, then surely getting them ready to play IS HIS JOB right? This team looked like a team that was rolling over on a lame duck coach.

As far as jumping on Crennel, he's doing the best he can with the assortment of JAGS he's been given. Who the hell on that side of the ball is a difference maker? Seriously, I get being mad over running cushioned coverages, but what would you guys like better, giving up deep TD after deep TD because these "great new CBs" we just acquired arent really all that great? #potential. Denver has solid receivers and when that happens our 1st round defensive backs tend to struggle. Another game, another TE lights up the D. So much for having a "TE Whisperer" ... it was 21-0 real fast and the defense was reeling, yet the offense couldnt stop some of that momentum, couldnt help their "scrappy, bend but dont break" defense when they have all the talent on their side of the ball.

Enough blame to go around.

Feels like the Tacks are just going to trounce us and make us look like fools, so surely we will win by 21. Thats the MO of this team, and some of my longtime PSL friends are already talking about "hating the 2 game playoff invoice" with this squad. Sad state of affairs when all hope is lost knowing precisely what your limitations are.

As far as jumping on Crennel, he's doing the best he can with the assortment of JAGS he's been given.

I agree with all you typed but the above. The defensive game plan blew chunks. You brought in Gipson to cover Te's and Roby, Conley to man up and play a tight coverage, but then after a week of excelling at that, you play mostly zone giving huge cushions and setting the absolute worst coverage LB to cover (or not) the young guys of the Bronco's.

Last edited:
No matter how many times you repeat this. If a defense shows up in one of the three games and allows five plays of 25 yards or more. Five consecutive scoring drives and 31 points to any team, you are not winning 3 games in a row. Regardless of QB play.

I actually agree with this and it's obvious BOB didn't have the team ready to play yesterday. With that said my point stands. 3 great games in a row in the playoffs. So far WatJICson hasn't been able to do this in the regular season, so what makes you think he will be able to do it in the playoffs regardless of who the HC is, other than fandom.

The Bronco's defense came into the game as the #5 pass defense but like #30 rush defense and the first series the rush was doing okay but the bend until broken defense gave up so many points so fast the Texans had no choice but to go against that

^^^^
This

Watson has proven so far he cant get the job done against top pass defenses. There's a big difference between the Broncos and say the Falcons pass defense.

Watson provided the only exciting plays yesterday but he was all over the place - without checking out the ALL 22 and watching the routes develop I wonder what the hell was going on in the intermediate passing game - it feels like we were back to the OBrien EP - you guys can even go back to the TD to Hopkins for an example of a typical OBrien route deployment. It was successful yes due to the defensive lapse, but look at the 3 streaking guys .. how long before they even look back for the ball? you telling me you need to help out our shiny, new "all pro" LT with max protect to his side? Coutee is trash. Why cant Stills play Fullers role? Whats so hard about running fast down the field and keeping the D honest? What happened to Duke Johnson in the passing game? "Deshaun holds the ball forever" -- yup. Tell the receivers to make their breaks quicker. Add a drag. Where was the presnap motion? Hardly any of what we saw last week.

Coaches also looked past Denver, they didnt think that a rookie QB would come in there and do that to them. Until this team implements true layer passing consistently, defenses will always be able to pressure Deshaun and force the team out of sync and it goes way deeper than the surface level "Deshaun cant read a defense" .. a hyper attacking D is crushing the very tenet of what the "OBrien EP" wants to do - long developing, deep passing. Saying "there is a guy open" out of 5 is not saying much, because the progression in the scheme has Deshaun looking downfield first (or his own HERO BALL), well its up to coaching to say at the meetings "this week we want to attack Denvers flanks, with methodical mid level passing and the RB flats/screens" whatever ... what do you think could have been the approach yesterday? HOw often do we see OBrien/Watson meetings on the sideline? Its almost like we're starting to see some cracks in the foundation so to speak by the body language of everyone involved during the game and during the post game press conferences.

KJAX was the XFactor - he knew exactly where OBrien/Watson would go with the ball and he showed up to the ball full of piss and vinegar - he versed his new team well and they kicked our ass all over the field. Where the hell was Roby? Didnt he want to "show up his old team" especially versus a ROOKIE QB?? These guys should have been licking their chops, instead they were left licking their wounds. KJAX >>>>>> Roby. We picked the wrong guy. Again.

Watson was bad. He took some unnecessary hits, didnt see the field well. going through the motions. He was still our best player on the field. If you take away the 7 points OBrien gave away right before the half (already questionable to go for it there, and then compound that by calling a pass play??? ouch), and the "is he down" KJAX lateral return TD then it becomes a coin flip game. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. I was so excited too, I saw some wrinkles at the beginning of the game that were really good implementations, but it went all for not because most of the team was just staring at butterflies all afternoon.

Distressing part is that starting off slow is not relegated to these types of games. Starting off slow is almost the OBrien hallmark and what his "offense" is known for. If designing great plays isnt his job, and the players execution is not his job, then surely getting them ready to play IS HIS JOB right? This team looked like a team that was rolling over on a lame duck coach.

As far as jumping on Crennel, he's doing the best he can with the assortment of JAGS he's been given. Who the hell on that side of the ball is a difference maker? Seriously, I get being mad over running cushioned coverages, but what would you guys like better, giving up deep TD after deep TD because these "great new CBs" we just acquired arent really all that great? #potential. Denver has solid receivers and when that happens our 1st round defensive backs tend to struggle. Another game, another TE lights up the D. So much for having a "TE Whisperer" ... it was 21-0 real fast and the defense was reeling, yet the offense couldnt stop some of that momentum, couldnt help their "scrappy, bend but dont break" defense when they have all the talent on their side of the ball.

Enough blame to go around.

Feels like the Tacks are just going to trounce us and make us look like fools, so surely we will win by 21. Thats the MO of this team, and some of my longtime PSL friends are already talking about "hating the 2 game playoff invoice" with this squad. Sad state of affairs when all hope is lost knowing precisely what your limitations are.
Somehow I don’t think the Texans are going to beat the Titans by 21 points.

Six years dude. Six years!

2 yrs without the Anvil that was RS.

2 yrs dude/2 yrs and I would say the Texans have made great progress in the last 2 yrs. Sorry the team isn't ready to win a SB this yr and wont be until they get more consistent QB play. Pats game was a sign of progress, Broncos game was a step back. QB play has to get better consistently or there will be no Lombardi on Kirby. Can this happen, yes. Will it happen? Who knows, so far it hasn't.

The Bronco's defense came into the game as the #5 pass defense but like #30 rush defense and the first series the rush was doing okay but the bend until broken defense gave up so many points so fast the Texans had no choice but to go against that

Right, so whey on multiple 4th down plays do you draw up a pass call? I agree, we should have run the ball MORE, and more effectively, and Duke Johnson is the best RB we have, yet he is relegated to spot duty, even after showing you exactly what he can do last week.

Our defense is bad. Very bad. This is no secret to the league, and it should be no secret to Houston coaches. Rookie QB came in here and peppered the field to 10 different receivers!! Crennel did the best he could to not let it get completely out of hand, they held a couple of times in goal to go situations to limit to a field goal. Its just not a good unit, and you can only scheme so much, the were getting beat up in man coverage, Fant was shedding blockers and racking up YAC like a mother. Sutton is a great young WR, who can burn you at any time. Rookie QB was finding the open guy, and making the right plays. Denver offensive coaches gave him a ton of safety valves. The game is about momentum, and the defense played most of the game on the wrong side of it.

Even after all that, if Houston doesnt go for it near mid field right before the half (horribly stupid decision) then you probably salvage 7 points right there, who knows how it all plays out.

Getting mad at a defense of JAGS is fruitless, even Belichek has some all pro type talent on D because he knows how important it is, only here do we have the audacity and egomaniacal coaches who think they can turn copper into gold. Name one guy who they've done that with?

Back