Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Takeaways from the Broncos game.

Or the fact we had Foster when OB took over as coach for the Texans. Foster is way better than Hyde. We also had a better OL in the first two seasons when OB was here. But no, Watson just sucks and he’s mediocre while the same coach couldn’t develop a single player to save his life.

You're reaching like crazy & this is why I can't take some of you guys seriously. Straight revisionist history. 1st of all, Foster was a shell of himself those last few years as he only rushed for 1200 yards & missed several games in 2014. To put that in perspective, Carlos Hyde will likely get that this year with half decent performances in the final 3 games.........& he's splitting carries with Duke. The o-line was also not all that much better. yes we had DB, but Meyers was over the hill & played like it; he went on to retire at the end of the 2014 season. He would be replaced by overrated ass Ben Jones (titans would agree) in 2015 who was playing LG for us in 2014..This is why XSF was drafted in the 1st place. Brandon Brooks was here too but was playing inconsistently and missing a game here & there dealing with his own medical issues.

You're also forgetting 1 key thing about the supposedly much more talented team that BoB inherited........THEY WENT 2-14 THE YEAR BEFORE WITH THE SAME TALENT!!!

Sure we lost Foster in game 8 of that year, but we had his supposed understudy in Ben Tate. What happened with him?

Straight revisionist history. 1st of all, Foster was a shell of himself those last few years as he only rushed for 1200 yards & missed several games in 2014.
It's still the best year any RB has had under O'Brien. What does that say about him as an offensive mind if some over the hill broken down pathetic excuse of a RB that you inherited not picked is the best you can put on the field in 6 years.

Rushing leader for O'Brien by year.

2019: Carlos Hyde 198 Att, 926 Yards, 4.7 Avg, 4 Tds
2018: Lamar Miller 210 Att, 973 Yards, 4.6 Avg, 5 Tds
2017: Lamar Miller 238 Att, 888 Yards, 3.7 Avg, 3 Tds
2016: Lamar Miller 268 Att, 1,073 Yards, 4.0 Avg, 5 Tds
2015: Alfred Blue 183 Att, 698 Yards, 3.8 Avg, 2 Tds
2014: Arian Foster 260 Att, 1,246 Yards, 4.8 Avg, 8 Tds

Foster even as a shell of himself has had the most yards per year, the highest avg per carry, the most rushing touchdowns & second most carries in a single season 260 to 268 to Lamar Miller. He had 20 carries per game to Millers 17. Plus he had 38 Rec for 327 Yrds.

Sure it could.

But which is easier to replace ? A coach or a Quarterback ?

One of them has posted historic statistics - best completion percentage thru X games in the history of the league. Among others.

The other has shown to be mediocre for the last 6 years.

One might be the answer - the other we know isn't the answer.

Best course of action would have been replacing OB this season , getting to see Watson with another coach and OC all year before deciding to back the Brinks truck up at his bank to the tune of $35m per year.

Now it looks like we're going to keep the guy who isn't the solution and back the Brinks truck up for the guy who might be the solution.

Worst of both worlds.
I wish I could like this 1000 times

It's wildly interesting to me, ive become obsessesed with the death of the Oilers and through that wildly obsessed with the rise and fall of the run and shoot.

As a mega nerd for nfl history I'm always going down these rabbit holes. Like right now I'm fascinated by the 1993 season in general, to the point where I'd actually like to write a book about it. Very interesting season.

A book you would really enjoy is Oiler Blues: The Story of Pro Football's Most Frustrating Team.

Another one is Loser Takes All: Bud Adams, Bad Football, & Big Business.

I've got both and they are fun reads if you're an old Houston Oilers fan.

this is why I can't take some of you guys seriously. Straight revisionist history. 1st of all, Foster was a shell of himself those last few years as he only rushed for 1200 yards & missed several games in 2014. To put that in perspective, Carlos Hyde will likely get that this year with half decent performances in the final 3 games.........& he's splitting carries with Duke.

Or he missed 3 games in 2014 and still had 1,200 yards. He may have been a shell of his former self after 2014, but that's high level, 1,500 yard pace, stuff right there. Also 24 more yards per game than you're getting out of Hyde right now. And Foster split more carries with Blue (1.5x more) in '14, than Hyde is with Duke (2.6x more).

And I don't know what you consider half way decent for Hyde, but he's averaging 71 yards per game, and needs to average 91 the next 3 to hit 1,200. And that would be 3 more games than Foster played in '14. So I don't know what perspective you're coming from there.

So if you're going to start with the can't take you seriously and revisionist history comments, you might want to at least take a stab of not revising that history yourself.

Or he missed 3 games in 2014 and still had 1,200 yards. He may have been a shell of his former self after 2014, but that's high level, 1,500 yard pace, stuff right there. Also 24 more yards per game than you're getting out of Hyde right now. And Foster split more carries with Blue (1.5x more) in '14, than Hyde is with Duke (2.6x more).

And I don't know what you consider half way decent for Hyde, but he's averaging 71 yards per game, and needs to average 91 the next 3 to hit 1,200. And that would be 3 more games than Foster played in '14. So I don't know what perspective you're coming from there.

So if you're going to start with the can't take you seriously and revisionist history comments, you might want to at least take a stab of not revising that history yourself.

Try again bro.

Foster in just 12 games in 2014 still carried the ball 62 more times than Hyde has all this year; & Hyde likely won't eclipse the number of carries Foster got that year even having played 3 extra games. Also, those extra carries Foster got add nearly 298 yards to his totals with his 4.8 ypc that year. Well, Hyde's YPC this year is 4.7 & if you give him those same carries, it adds 292 yds to his totals...which puts him right at.................... 1200 yds. That carry discrepancy also skews the data you present about the carries they split with their back ups... I say all that to say that, Foster in 2014 wasn't all that impressive & in fact wasn't much better if at all better than Hyde is now....Its just nostalgia you guys are clinging to based on what Foster was in seasons prior. Especially too, if you're trying to sell me on the idea that our o-line was that much better than our current o-line.

Reactions: ROO
Its just nostalgia you guys are clinging to based on what Foster was in seasons prior
I notice you conveniently leave out the receiving stats.

Foster's receiving yards in 2014 was 38 Rec for 327 Yrds for 5 TDs.
Hyde's receiving yards this year is 9 Rec for 32 yards for 0 TDs.

Foster had 8 rushing Tds plus 5 receiving Tds in 2014. That a total of 13 Tds. That's triple Hyde's 4 Tds this year.

Foster's total yards from scrimmage was 1573. Hyde is at 958 yards from scrimmage.

He would need to average 205 yards & score 3 Tds in each of the last 3 games to get that this year.

And let's not leave out how many times they fumbled the ball.

Hyde: 4 fumbles in 207 touches. That's I fumble every 52 touches.
Foster: 2 Fumbles in 298 touches. That's 1 fumble every 149 touches.

So to recap Foster had 615 more yards from scrimmage, scored 9 more TDs and fumbled half as much with 91 more touches.

There in no doubt that Foster in 2014 was a better all around back than Hyde has been this year.

Try again bro.

Foster in just 12 games in 2014 still carried the ball 62 more times than Hyde has all this year; & Hyde likely won't eclipse the number of carries Foster got that year even having played 3 extra games. Also, those extra carries Foster got add nearly 298 yards to his totals with his 4.8 ypc that year. Well, Hyde's YPC this year is 4.7 & if you give him those same carries, it adds 292 yds to his totals...which puts him right at.................... 1200 yds. That carry discrepancy also skews the data you present about the carries they split with their back ups... I say all that to say that, Foster in 2014 wasn't all that impressive & in fact wasn't much better if at all better than Hyde is now....Its just nostalgia you guys are clinging to based on what Foster was in seasons prior. Especially too, if you're trying to sell me on the idea that our o-line was that much better than our current o-line.
I planned to mention the things that mws just posted above, but I wanted to wait until after I check out some real actions.

This is a highlight video of Foster in 2014.
The things he was able to do was just sick.

There are at least 8 Youtube videos of Hyde that you can check out, including his best games.
He tried his best to do a Foster's impersonation, but was never close.

Some of Foster's cut was just insane.
And the second gear, third gear.
The power, the speed.

A couple of great catches in that video, including that incredible wheel route, the catch itself, and the run after the catch. I don't know if AJ or Hopkins can run that route any better.

All this even without mentioning the personnel on the field and the schemes.

With Watson, the defense has to honor both his ability on the ground and in the air; sometimes they need to have a spy on him, or at least to make sure he doesn't keep the ball.

Especially with Fuller on the field, you would see more cover 2, or at least even the SS would play deeper.

Basically, the RB (any RB) would have more room to operate.

Last edited:
The power, the speed.
Sometimes we forget just how good he really was. Even at the end of his career he was something special.

Here is a head to head comparison of the 4 leading rushers this year with Foster. Everybody has played 13 games

Nick Chubb
Derrick Henry
Christian McCaffrey
Dalvin Cook

Foster: 13 Games, 298 touches, 1573 Yrds from scrimmage, 5.3 Avg per Tch, 13 Tds, 2 fumbles

McCaffrey: 13 Games, 332 touches, 1946 Yrds from scrimmage, 5.9 Avg per Tch, 16 Tds, 1 fumble

Henry: 13 Games, 268 touches, 1449 Yrds from scrimmage, 5.4 Avg per Tch, 15 Tds, 5 fumbles

Cook: 13 Games, 291 touches, 1611 Yrds from scrimmage, 5.5 Avg per Tch, 13 Tds, 4 fumbles

Chubb: 13 Games, 285 touches, 1537 Yrds from scrimmage, 5.4 Avg per Tch, 7 Tds, 3 fumbles

Foster is right there with them. Only McCaffrey is having a significantly better year than Foster did.

The power, the speed.
Sometimes we forget just how good he really was.
No doubt. This cat was good, too bad the injuries got him. I'll never forget the game against the Steelers at NRG. He took a handoff and went off tackle, right. Broke one tackle at the line and was just about to go into high gear when a LB was coming at him from behind and Polamalu was coming at him from the secondary. They were about to whack him and Foster shifted gears and went about 45 yds for the score to put the Texans up 17-10. That was the game winner too. It was one of those "holy crap, did you see that!" moments. That dude was special. I'll never forget that game. The run I'm talking about starts at the 53 second mark.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Only McCaffrey is having a significantly better year than Foster did.
Imagine if that team had another offensive threat beside him. This guy is a do it all.

Last edited:
No doubt. This cat was good, too bad the injuries got him. I'll never forget the game against the Steelers at NRG. He took a handoff and went off tackle, right. Broke one tackle at the line and was just about to go into high gear when a LB was coming at him from behind and Polamalu was coming at him from the secondary. They were about to whack him and Foster shifted gears and went about 45 yds for the score to put the Texans up 17-10. That was the game winner too. It was one of those "holy crap, did you see that!" moments. That dude was special. I'll never forget that game. The run I'm talking about starts at the 53 second mark.

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imagine if that team had another offensive threat beside him. This guy is a do it all.

Oops, I hit report by mistake... was looking at like but forgot to move the mouse... sorry everyone. I do like it!

Yes, he was great then and Tate looked good... but the 2014 team had not the threats that one did, including Foster. I really like the TD vs. the tits @ about 1.50

Yes, he was great then and Tate looked good... but the 2014 team had not the threats that one did, including Foster. I really like the TD vs. the tits @ about 1.50
For sure. I wasn't trying to compare any year, I was just reminiscing. Ahh, to have a Oline that blocked like that. That play I'm talkin about was blocked beautifully.

Try again bro.

OMG!

YOU said;
To put that in perspective, Carlos Hyde will likely get that this year with half decent performances in the final 3 games.........& he's splitting carries with Duke.

Your perspective is whack. Foster split more with Blue than Hyde is with Duke.
Foster- 260 carries, 47% of the Texans 551.
Blue- 169 carries, 30.6%

Hyde- 198 carries, 56.8% of the Texans 348.
Duke- 75 carries, 21.5%

Blue, THE BACKUP, in 16 games, just 29 fewer carries as Hyde, THE STARTER has in his 13 starts.

The Texans also were much more of a run team in '14 with 34 rushes per game as opposed to the 26 they're doing this year.

Carlos Hyde isn't doing anything close to what a supposedly washed up Foster was doing in '14.

Last edited:
.THEY WENT 2-14 THE YEAR BEFORE WITH THE SAME TALENT!!!

Not because of the OL.

I agree Myers wasn't going to work for O'Brien & what he wanted to do (at the time). But the OL still had pieces & we'd have done just as well with those pieces than the resources we wasted.

& to me, that's the point. Why in the world were we drafting Centers & Guards when we needed a RT?

& yeah, Foster was a shell of himself. 1200 yards missing several games.

Tweet from @riversmccown: Max-protect play-action against the Broncos. Watson never has anywhere to deliver this ball. There's not a single receiver threatening the middle of the field. https://t.co/xHdaRfLr7T

OMG!

YOU said;

Your perspective is whack. Foster split more with Blue than Hyde is with Duke.
Foster- 260 carries, 47% of the Texans 551.
Blue- 169 carries, 30.6%

Hyde- 198 carries, 56.8% of the Texans 348.
Duke- 75 carries, 21.5%

Blue, THE BACKUP, in 16 games, just 29 fewer carries as Hyde, THE STARTER has in his 13 starts.

The Texans also were much more of a run team in '14 with 34 rushes per game as opposed to the 26 they're doing this year.

Carlos Hyde isn't doing anything close to what a supposedly washed up Foster was doing in '14.

Arian was a combination of Hyde & Duke .. he had the power to run in between the tackles and the hands to be able to line up in the slot. He had innate field vision and was a great blocker out of the backfield (his chip blocks were FIERCE). True 3 down back. The best diamond in the rough that Rick Smith found (and he found PLENTY).

With that said I think everyone would agree that RB inclusion into the passing game is a must. Duke Johnson touched the ball 4 times on Sunday. A win is a win, so I cant gripe too much, but when Duke Johnson is part of the gameplan the offense looks exponentially better and more fluid. Its cool when you can run Hyde as a battering ram most of the game, but that doesnt happen all the time and it especially wont happen this Saturday vs the best run defense in the NFL.

I would hope to see Duke involved more knowing what they are facing vs Tampa Bay just to alleviate the strategic concerns I have with the offensive coaching staff.

Back