Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
So for those Oline folks on the forum - any thoughts on what the actual problem is? We don't pass block well, teams are too often able to get pressure rushing 3, and when they rush 4 or more it almost seems unfair.

Is Devlin really that bad of a coach that he has ruined serviceable linemen?
Are our players that devoid of talent?

I know the oline has to be in sync to be effective - but seems if we had one bad piece/player that was consistently causing blocking schemes to fail we would have looked in another direcection?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
So for those Oline folks on the forum - any thoughts on what the actual problem is? We don't pass block well, teams are too often able to get pressure rushing 3, and when they rush 4 or more it almost seems unfair.

I know the oline has to be in sync to be effective - but seems if we had one bad piece/player that was consistently causing blocking schemes to fail we would have looked in another direcection?
Blocking schemes are created along with the playbook. An OL Coach should have tremendous input into the final blocking schemes to fit the playbook. These blocking schemes are as horrible as the playbook itself. When OB was kicked out, the playbook should’ve hit him in the back as he was exiting. Kelly and Devlin should’ve bumped into OB as he was picking up his playbook.

badboy

Hall of Fame

For a "business" that Texans are, there apparently are no quality controls for management. When demand for your product/services far exceed supply, the incentive to remain on top dims. Devlin is that bad and he and other coaches know they are gone unless RAC becomes permanent.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
What did people make of the OL play in this last game? First series was woeful. Later on in the second half the announcers were eulogising the great performance of Nick Martin and the interior OL. Penalties ensued that really cost us in the second half.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That means a lot. God took care of my orders for Viet Nam and I remained in North Carolina as Segregation Cell blocks Supervisor for Cherry Point Naval Air Station Corrections Facility.
AKA the Brig.
My Uncle was stationed at Cheery Point when he wasn't in Japan.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What did people make of the OL play in this last game? First series was woeful. Later on in the second half the announcers were eulogising the great performance of Nick Martin and the interior OL. Penalties ensued that really cost us in the second half.
P!ss poor as usual.

I would've taken that 6th that was offered for N.Martin at the trade deadeadline in a heartbeat. Oh well water under the bridge.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Interesting. What years? I'm off to Bible Study. Laters everyone!
I cant remember when he was supposed to be drafted (I was very young) 68 maybe 69. When he saw that he was going to be drafted he volunteered for the Marines. He helped write the computer guides while he was stationed in Japan. He ended up retiring from the Marines he was a lifer.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
When Brady won it in 2019, his cap space might be under 11%, but the Pats can afford to pay him a whole lot more as they still had nearly 22% of the cap space left to spend.

The Colts may spend only $25M on Rivers, but they still have to pay Brissett more than 21M, making their cap spending on QBs over 20%.
Yet they still have nearly 15% of their cap to spare.
And look how competitive they are.
I had said before the season that they have the most solid roster in the AFC South, and they do it right, building their roster through the draft.
They got Rhodes for 3m and Houston for 10m. Remember me saying they should trade Clowney and pay Houston 10m per for 4 yrs. Eric Murray makes more than Rhodes. For Eric Murray and Cobb money they could've had Logan Ryan at 7.5 and Rhodes at 3 and 6m left over.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yeah I remember .... some of us had been on that one since 02 and only one person was "credited" with that - @Texan_Bill .... RIP.
Man I was so glad to switch over; night and day difference. However, Infantrycak used to attack almost every post I made. Chris and another original on this board gave me hades when I did mocks or suggested trades.

Who the H did of think I was? I had large poster boards with offense on one defense on another. Third one had entire roster with cuts or trades I wanted, list of FAs on a 4th and a fifth with several four round mocks of people I respected. My laptop did not come along until later and my apartment appreciated not having fire hazards. Lol. I had spiral notebooks stacked everywhere with info on college guys. Paper scraps, back of envelopes, back of Kroger receipts of height, weights, 40s, 225 lb reps, pro days everywhere. Week leading up to draft was turmoil. Draft day I had meals prepared to eat without me turning my head from TV. ESPN and NFL channel were on one button call back and I had two radios on low volume each with different channels. All knew not to call me Thurs thru draft Saturday. My son could call but it better be important, snarl!

badboy

Hall of Fame
See how slow he was coming out of his stance? In fact every player on the OL seems like their feet are in cement.
Second sentence is where evidence is. Poor physical conditioning? Sure but only part of it. Two solid college tackles playing in rookie season regress significantly second year. That smacks of confusion and poor coaching. Multiyear vets regressing also coaching. Sure some is injury and more than I want to accept is players checking out. That's on coaching also. Kelly has no clue how to run an offense. Weaver? We have a defensive guy in charge now that has a pretty good resume of success with his defenses but ..

badboy

Hall of Fame
Thank you for your service. I appreciate everything you and your friends have done for this Country. God bless you!
:patriot none of those I served with wanted a thank you; heck 99 percent didn't want to be there. We just wanted it over, not just our time but entire war that wasn't a war. We didn't want to be cursed, ridiculed or spat on. We wanted to climb on the plane home and re-enter 'society'. Get through a day. Then another. Now it's 47 years later and veterans are still coming home. The reception is different and for that I am glad.

Thanks for allowing me to speak..
Back to Texans where focus should be. Semper Fi! God bless the USA.

Texansballer74

The Marine
:patriot none of those I served with wanted a thank you; heck 99 percent didn't want to be there. We just wanted it over, not just our time but entire war that wasn't a war. We didn't want to be cursed, ridiculed or spat on. We wanted to climb on the plane home and re-enter 'society'. Get through a day. Then another. Now it's 47 years later and veterans are still coming home. The reception is different and for that I am glad.

Thanks for allowing me to speak..
Back to Texans where focus should be. Semper Fi! God bless the USA.
Senior Fi Devil Dog. All I wanted to do was my four years and come on home. I didn’t see any war time, so I was blessed. I was really close to going to Iraq back in 2003.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Man I was so glad to switch over; night and day difference. However, Infantrycak used to attack almost every post I made. Chris and another original on this board gave me hades when I did mocks or suggested trades.

Who the H did of think I was? I had large poster boards with offense on one defense on another. Third one had entire roster with cuts or trades I wanted, list of FAs on a 4th and a fifth with several four round mocks of people I respected. My laptop did not come along until later and my apartment appreciated not having fire hazards. Lol. I had spiral notebooks stacked everywhere with info on college guys. Paper scraps, back of envelopes, back of Kroger receipts of height, weights, 40s, 225 lb reps, pro days everywhere. Week leading up to draft was turmoil. Draft day I had meals prepared to eat without me turning my head from TV. ESPN and NFL channel were on one button call back and I had two radios on low volume each with different channels. All knew not to call me Thurs thru draft Saturday. My son could call but it better be important, snarl!

How did Grandma like getting traded to the Raiders ?! :corrosion:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Second sentence is where evidence is. Poor physical conditioning? Sure but only part of it. Two solid college tackles playing in rookie season regress significantly second year. That smacks of confusion and poor coaching. Multiyear vets regressing also coaching. Sure some is injury and more than I want to accept is players checking out. That's on coaching also. Kelly has no clue how to run an offense. Weaver? We have a defensive guy in charge now that has a pretty good resume of success with his defenses but ..
As long as the OL sucks the team is going to suck. The OL coach is almost as important the OC.

I dont get why posters think Weaver has a good resume of success. I dont think he's done a good job at all with the defense. Of course with the crap they're putting out there talent wise no DC has a chance to even have a defense that looks competent.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I dont get why posters think Weaver has a good resume of success. I dont think he's done a good job at all with the defense.
I don't know if anyone here thinks Weaver has a good resume of success. We've only mentioned that it's been reported he has a good reputation in NFL circles. Many in those circles see him as a future HC.

badboy

Hall of Fame
As long as the OL sucks the team is going to suck. The OL coach is almost as important the OC.

I dont get why posters think Weaver has a good resume of success. I dont think he's done a good job at all with the defense. Of course with the crap they're putting out there talent wise no DC has a chance to even have a defense that looks competent.
We agree on offensive line and the coaches and Weaver. I was hoping he could work his way up with Houston & be really good; did not happen. I feel like a hooked trout that gets away after a long fight only to see that shiny lure (coaches and players) then to feel the deep bite of the hook.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It was me who said you would trade her for a 4th round pick .....
As James Cagney said You dirty rat! I was trying to deflect elsewhere. I thought your post was hilarious but my grandmother would have chased you with her rolling pin. I wished we had a third 4th round pick next draft.

Well at least Rockets getting something for James Harden.

Last edited:

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
As James Cagney said You dirty rat! I was trying to deflect elsewhere. I thought your post was hilarious but my grandmother would have chased you with her rolling pin. I wished we had a third 4th round pick next draft.

Well at least Rockets getting something for James Harden.

But he never really said it ..... what's more, Cary Grany never said .... "Judy, Judy. Judy" .... I think Frank Gorshin came up with both of them .... doing imitations ! On a more serious note, and at the risk of redundency, WHY IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE REGRESSING ??????

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
But he never really said it ..... what's more, Cary Grany never said .... "Judy, Judy. Judy" .... I think Frank Gorshin came up with both of them .... doing imitations ! On a more serious note, and at the risk of redundency, WHY IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE REGRESSING ??????

Why are RB's and TE's being asked to block edge rushers on a routine basis would be a better question.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Wait a minute .... is this a trap ? You're not going to hit me with something like "Oh Archie, you're such a handsome boy, but you've got to quit letting that raucous circus bunch quit cutting your hair. Why, you look like you're going bald .... and in ugly patches .... almost looks like you've got leaches !

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The OL run blocking. Can anyone explain the objective of the run blocking on this play? Stop at the 5 second mark and take a look at Martin and Fulton. What happened to simply getting a hat on a hat run blocking?

Stop it at the 06 mark... it looks like Howard and Martin are trying to block Fulton and Scharping and of course Johnson runs into traffic

1606354789181.png

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Stop it at the 06 mark... it looks like Howard and Martin are trying to block Fulton and Scharping and of course Johnson runs into traffic
Looking again, it's very poor play design... protection call is terrible, snap is too early, Fells can't get to the LB to block him so he pushes Howard in the back; Martin looks to be sealing off Fulton

1606355526149.png

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Looking again, it's very poor play design... protection call is terrible, snap is too early, Fells can't get to the LB to block him so he pushes Howard in the back; Martin looks to be sealing off Fulton
I put the poor protection call on Martin, the early snap on Watson and the poor design on Devlin/OB

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
The OL run blocking. Can anyone explain the objective of the run blocking on this play? Stop at the 5 second mark and take a look at Martin and Fulton. What happened to simply getting a hat on a hat run blocking?

Tunsil and Scharping opened a big hole ....

Fulton locked his man up ... Can't blame him for others screwing up.

Martin got in the way of everyone and should have gone directly to the second level.

Titus double team helping Fulton was unnecessary and another instance of the play asking Fells to come from the opposite side to block the outside rusher and he's late to the party. We've seen this a few times recently. Either he's lining up too wide or .... he's just too slow but they keep doing it.

Titus probably should have gone to the second level immediately (or taken the outside rusher).

If Martin goes to the second level and either Titus or Fells blocks that outside rusher , that's a huge hole between Scharping and Tunsil ....

Martin has been a catastrophic failure all year long. That guy has to go , I don't know what the coaching staff's fascination with that dude is. He must have naked pic's of all of them.

This unit is terribly coached .... that's fairly obvious.