27. Denver Broncos, 50%
28. Seattle Seahawks, 49%
29. Atlanta Falcons, 47%
30. Carolina Panthers, 43%
31. Miami Dolphins, 41%
32. Cincinnati Bengals, 40%

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Rod Johnson better than Tytus Howard for starters.
I disagree. Johnson doesn't have Howard's strength. Or maybe you're talking more about recently, as I think he hasn't played all that well since he returned from his injury. In which case, Johnson could be a better option. I can see that. Hopefully that is the case and Howard just focuses on getting better for next season.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Johnson doesn't have Howard's strength
Johnson got benched for Clark.

One of the games Tunsil was out we started Clark with less than a week of practice. Rod Johnson came in the 2nd series with an opportunity to earn the job... been on the team since last year.

Clark looked better to me.

& RJohnson looks more suited as a LT. Doesn't have the lower anchor to push defenses off the ball to be a RT.

dream_team

Hall of Fame
Johnson got benched for Clark.

One of the games Tunsil was out we started Clark with less than a week of practice. Rod Johnson came in the 2nd series with an opportunity to earn the job... been on the team since last year.

Clark looked better to me.

& RJohnson looks more suited as a LT. Doesn't have the lower anchor to push defenses off the ball to be a RT.
I agree with you that Johnson doesn't look like a traditional RT. For the sake of the rest of the season, though, I hope he's better at it than I think.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Still a bit concerned with the run blocking. Also didn't like on a couple of plays, there was a free rusher to DW4.

But overall, happy with their performance last night.
I worry that the O-line is still the weak point of this team.
....especially with Von Miller & co. coming to town

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
I worry that the O-line is still the weak point of this team.
....especially with Von Miller & co. coming to town
At the beginning of the game they were some weird plays by Tunsil in particular. He wasn’t getting beaten, it looked like he let a guy go free by design. I remember one play in particular where he helped the G and the guy in front of him had almost a free run at the QB. I’m guessing that’s part of those sweet protection schemes Develin runs. Maybe Martin was supposed to swing out and block the guy directly in front of Tunsil - the defense would never see that coming

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
At the beginning of the game they were some weird plays by Tunsil in particular. He wasn’t getting beaten, it looked like he let a guy go free by design. I remember one play in particular where he helped the G and the guy in front of him had almost a free run at the QB. I’m guessing that’s part of those sweet protection schemes Develin runs. Maybe Martin was supposed to swing out and block the guy directly in front of Tunsil - the defense would never see that coming

I agree .... they don't often look as cohesive as I thought they would by now .... and I may be too critical, but I expected far more from Tunsil, in many ways, especially considering the price we paid !

How long does it take for an offense line to rebuild? I try to be pragmatic and say it can be hard to be a lineman for Watson where he can hold the ball too long looking for the big play or more focus down the field than his check down, but there are more cases of them getting beat or missing assignments or the penalties. Tunsil in particular yesterday had just a bad game. And our run blocking has been bad. The run game was working a bit yesterday but we got so far behind can't really assess it. But in other games these last 4 weeks has been no holes for Hyde to run through.

zshawn10

All Pro
Team Pass Block Win Rate

1. Green Bay Packers, 71%
2. Baltimore Ravens, 70%
3. Indianapolis Colts, 65%
4. Houston Texans, 64%
5. Buffalo Bills, 63%
6. Oakland Raiders, 63%
7. Tennessee Titans, 63%
8. Pittsburgh Steelers, 62%

Former NFL OL coach Paul Alexander's 2019 ‘All-World’ Offensive Line
Left Tackle

1st team: Ronnie Stanley
2nd team: Laremy Tunsil – "He’s really good, they shouldn’t have let him go."
Left Guard

1st team: Quenton Nelson
2nd team: Richie Incognito
Center
1st team: Rodney Hudson
2nd team: Jason Kelce
Right Guard
1st team: Zach Martin
2nd team: Marshall Yanda
Right Tackle
1st team: Lane Johnson
2nd team: La’el Collins
—SiriusXM NFL Radio

Top 10 OT Pass Block Win Rate
1. David Bakhtiari, Packers, 95%
2. Kelvin Beachum, Jets, 95%
3. Ronnie Stanley, Ravens, 94%
4. Andrew Whitworth, Rams, 94%
5. Orlando Brown Jr., Ravens, 94%
6. Mike McGlinchey, 49ers, 93%
7. Alejandro Villanueva, Steelers, 93%
8. Jack Conklin, Titans, 92%
9. Trent Brown, Raiders, 92%
10. Laremy Tunsil, Texans, 92%

Top 10 OG Pass Block Win Rate

1. Marshal Yanda, Ravens, 98%
2. Joe Thuney, Patriots, 97%
3. Richie Incognito, Raiders, 96%
4. Joel Bitonio, Browns, 96%
5. Zack Martin, Cowboys, 96%
6. Joe Dahl, Lions, 96%
7. Elgton Jenkins, Packers, 95%
8. Quenton Nelson, Colts, 95%
9. Ali Marpet, Buccaneers, 95%
10. Wyatt Teller, Browns, 94%

Top 10 C Pass Block Win Rate
1. Corey Linsley, Packers, 98%
2. JC Tretter, Browns, 98%
3. Rodney Hudson, Raiders, 97%
4. Brandon Linder, Jaguars, 96%
5. A.Q. Shipley, Cardinals, 96%
6. Nick Martin, Texans, 96%
7. Chase Roullier, Redskins, 95%
8. Scott Quessenberry, Chargers, 94%
9. Cody Whitehair, Bears, 94%
10. Ryan Jensen, Buccaneers, 94%

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
RG, Brandon Scherff (28 yrs old) will be an UFA in 2020 or at this season's end. He would be my primary UFA target b/c hands down, he would have a massive impact on the OL.

If the Texans wanted to add Scherff, I'd expect them to make an offer of 5 years at 67.5M which would make him the 2nd highest paid OG behind Zach Martin. If they wanted to eliminate the competition it could take a 6 year 84M dollar deal

Texans currently have Laremy Tunsil (25 yrs old) under contract until they end of the 2020 season. His UFA begins at the same time the new CBA should go into effect which could make it easier for the Texans to get him signed. They could try to get him extended before the 2020 season ends but they better be prepared to get him into the 18M per season range. If I were making this call......I'd be all in on keeping this group together.

Martin (26 yrs old) has already been extended so his situation would be a non-issue. Howard (23 yrs old) and Scharping (23 yrs old) are in their rookie years and still have plenty of team control years ahead of them. This would be young and talented group.

I could see the Texans getting a solid 5 year run out of the following core group:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Martin
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

I don't think the investment would be out of line....no pun intended.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
RG, Brandon Scherff (28 yrs old) will be an UFA in 2020 or at this season's end. He would be my primary UFA target b/c hands down, he would have a massive impact on the OL.

If the Texans wanted to add Scherff, I'd expect them to make an offer of 5 years at 67.5M which would make him the 2nd highest paid OG behind Zach Martin. If they wanted to eliminate the competition it could take a 6 year 84M dollar deal

Texans currently have Laremy Tunsil (25 yrs old) under contract until they end of the 2020 season. His UFA begins at the same time the new CBA should go into effect which could make it easier for the Texans to get him signed. They could try to get him extended before the 2020 season ends but they better be prepared to get him into the 18M per season range. If I were making this call......I'd be all in on keeping this group together.

Martin (26 yrs old) has already been extended so his situation would be a non-issue. Howard (23 yrs old) and Scharping (23 yrs old) are in their rookie years and still have plenty of team control years ahead of them. This would be young and talented group.

I could see the Texans getting a solid 5 year run out of the following core group:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Martin
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

Tunsil and his agent are not likely to extend until the CBA's new elevated salary cap is established.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Meet NFL Draft hopeful Elijah Nkansah, First Team All-MAC OT from ToledoAfter improving his numbers at Toledo Pro Day, Nkansah hopes to hear his name called this weekendBy Steve Helwick@s_helwick Apr 24, 2018, 11:28am EDT

Toledo offensive tackle Elijah Nkansah watched the game clock tick down second by second at Ford Field on December 3, 2017. The senior lineman’s college career was dwindling down but in his penultimate game as a Toledo Rocket, he was experiencing the pinnacle of his five years he spent armed in a helmet in pads in Northern Ohio.

Toledo routed the Akron Zips to win the MAC Championship, and to make the cake even sweeter, Nkansah earned his first selection to the All-MAC team. Despite a year stocked with achievements, there is one the 23-year old from Mason, OH is still working toward — earning a spot on an NFL roster.

In order to springboard himself into a professional career, Nkansah trained with Geoff Pastrick of PRIME Athlete Development, a company headquartered in Kennesaw, GA with a specialization in offensive lineman development. After undergoing training in Pastrick’s facilities, Nkansah saw a spike in all of his numbers all across the board, ranging from bench press reps to vertical jump height to 40-yard dash time.

This training paid off when Toledo’s Pro Day arrived on March 19. The below graphic shows the drastic augmentation in Nkansah’s measurables after about three months of intense training.
“To me, I think (the improvement came as a result of) repetition,” Nkansah said. “Every week, we did the same thing just to see how much improvement we could get. (Pastrick) really focused on pushing us to be the best we could and he is a former offensive lineman himself. He coached offensive linemen, played college ball, and we can really relate to what he was saying and how he was teaching. He understands the offensive lineman life.”

THE REST OF THE STORY

badboy

Hall of Fame

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Martin
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

I would like Scherff also but with Snyder letting his President go & with enough cap I think he will be with Washington next year. It's possible Trent Williams will return. I'm hopin Alex Leatherwood drops to our second round as he would be game one starter at RG and could beat out Howard at RT. Plus perhaps our future LT if Tunsil leaves.

badboy

Hall of Fame

LT- Tunsil
LG- Scharping
OC- Martin
RG- Scherff
RT- Howard

I would like Scherff also but with Snyder letting his President go & with enough cap I think he will be with Washington next year. It's possible Trent Williams will return. I'm hoping Alex Leatherwood drops to our second round as he would be game one starter at RG and could beat out Howard at RT. Plus perhaps our future LT if Tunsil leaves.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I just listened to 30 yr OL coach Paul Alexander break down what he saw with the 7 sacks that happened Saturday.

1. DW4 ran naked boot and the DE got him.
2. Fulton blocked his man but not great. DW4 had time to get rid of the ball but didn't. 1/2 on Fulton 1/2 on DW4.
3. Duke missed a block allowing a sack.
4. Fells missed a block allowing a sack
5-7 DW4 missed his hot reads and held onto the ball too long.

This is Alexander's film study not mine. By his account there was only 1/2 a sack that was attributed to the OL.

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
I just listened to 30 yr OL coach Paul Alexander break down what he saw with the 7 sacks that happened Saturday.

2. Fulton blocked his man but not great. DW4 had time to get rid of the ball but didn't. 1/2 on Fulton 1/2 on DW4.

This is Alexander's film study not mine. By his account there was only 1/2 a sack that was attributed to the OL.
So hard because the magic happens when he’s either moving or holding on to the ball too long...almost as if him improving to go through those progressions, seeing the hot route etc would take away the best part of his game.
I know where you stand on that Steelb I’m just thinking out loud on this, but yesterday you have 7 negative plays mostly on him, but the win came from those same tendencies.

That OL has been much improved this season with reason to hope that Howard and Scharping make a big jump next season with some experience under their belts.

dream_team

Hall of Fame

How did you hear this? Would like to give it a listen.

Sack #5 wasn't a blitz. It was a 4 man rush where Fulton got beat and flushed Watson out of the pocket. It did look like Duke was getting open on the other side of the field, but Watson was already running at this time. Would have preferred DW throwing the ball ob instead of taking the sack.

Sack #6 also wasn't a blitz, it was a 4 man rush where the left-end came free. Chris Clark doesn't block anyone and lets his guy go free at the QB. I don't see a hot read that's open, so Watson escapes the pocket. Once again, he should have chucked it ob here instead of taking the sack.

Sack #7 was a blitz and the safety came free through the b-gap. And it does look like Duke came open quickly. DW should have went to him. At the same time, Rodrick got easily beaten, so there were two guys chasing after DW.

I don't see how you can't at least give partial blame on the OL for sacks 5 & 6. I'm not an OL coach, so would like to listen where I'm wrong.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

Thanks for that SteelB !
I'm relieved so goes to show that just a headline "Texans surrender 7 sacks" in P/O game, can be meaningless or even misleading without some context.
So then the story is that our OLines pass pro in the W-C game was not the disaster it seemed to be at first.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How did you hear this? Would like to give it a listen.

Sack #5 wasn't a blitz. It was a 4 man rush where Fulton got beat and flushed Watson out of the pocket. It did look like Duke was getting open on the other side of the field, but Watson was already running at this time. Would have preferred DW throwing the ball ob instead of taking the sack.

Sack #6 also wasn't a blitz, it was a 4 man rush where the left-end came free. Chris Clark doesn't block anyone and lets his guy go free at the QB. I don't see a hot read that's open, so Watson escapes the pocket. Once again, he should have chucked it ob here instead of taking the sack.

Sack #7 was a blitz and the safety came free through the b-gap. And it does look like Duke came open quickly. DW should have went to him. At the same time, Rodrick got easily beaten, so there were two guys chasing after DW.

I don't see how you can't at least give partial blame on the OL for sacks 5 & 6. I'm not an OL coach, so would like to listen where I'm wrong.
On Sirius with Kirwan/Miller.

I may have gotten the sequence wrong but this is what Alexander said. They have podcasts of their shows but I dont know how long it takes for them to put them up. The Miller/Kirwan show is currently going on as we speak.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
I would say take a look for yourself and form an opinion - these are sacks 5-7. I would give Fulton at least partial credit for 5 and 7, and 6 doesn't make the oline look great (let the outside rusher come free).

Sack 5 - maybe DW could have lobbed something to the back leaking out, but it would have been risky with two LB's sitting on it. Another fraction of a second and he might have had time to throw to Hop.

Sack 6 - the pressure is there about the time his backfoot hits, not much else open. Once he started to scramble maybe could have taken a shot up the sideline.

Sack 7 - RJ gets beat like a drum, Fulton could have at least tried to get in the way (although he did at least block, someone). DW may have been able to get it to the back headed toward the sideline.

Still, DW needs to chuck it out of bounds once he is outside the pocket, just can't win them all.

Thoughts?

dream_team

Hall of Fame
I would say take a look for yourself and form an opinion - these are sacks 5-7. I would give Fulton at least partial credit for 5 and 7, and 6 doesn't make the oline look great (let the outside rusher come free).

Sack 5 - maybe DW could have lobbed something to the back leaking out, but it would have been risky with two LB's sitting on it. Another fraction of a second and he might have had time to throw to Hop.

Sack 6 - the pressure is there about the time his backfoot hits, not much else open. Once he started to scramble maybe could have taken a shot up the sideline.

Sack 7 - RJ gets beat like a drum, Fulton could have at least tried to get in the way (although he did at least block, someone). DW may have been able to get it to the back headed toward the sideline.

Still, DW needs to chuck it out of bounds once he is outside the pocket, just can't win them all.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the videos, very helpful.

Sack 5 - Does this look like a designed play for Duke? ALL of the receivers go towards the right sideline, but you see a late release of Duke and he has a big play if DW gets him the ball. Unfortunately, Fulton couldn't hold his guy. I think Watson could have been a tad patient, though, and stayed in the pocket a little longer to wait for Duke to get open.

Sack 6 - I don't know how you can't at least give partial blame on the OL. I mean, no one blocked the left edge rusher. No one was open. If anything, could blame DW for not throwing the ball ob and give up on the play.

Sack 7 - It was a good designed blitz. I would have liked to have seen DW try to hit Duke immediately once he recognized the free rusher.

Earl34

Hall of Fame

Thoughts?

Nice job on the videos. If you count, within 2-3 seconds, there is pressure in the pocket and that's from the shotgun. SMDH.

Here is a former QB's take on the OL and offense in general.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Thoughts?

He had time to get rid of the ball.

On 5-6 the route design sucked. Particularly 5.

On 7 he had Duke in the flat probably for a 1st down if he cuts loose the throw.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
He had time to get rid of the ball.

On 5-6 the route design sucked. Particularly 5.

On 7 he had Duke in the flat probably for a 1st down if he cuts loose the throw.
On #7, is Duke the first option? if he throws to Duke before planting his feet, that's a Schaub like Pick-6 waiting to happen. Seems like the slot WR on the right was the first option. But poor blocking destroyed that option.

FuzzyLogic

Mathematically Possible
On #7, is Duke the first option? if he throws to Duke before planting his feet, that's a Schaub like Pick-6 waiting to happen. Seems like the slot WR on the right was the first option. But poor blocking destroyed that option.
In general, I don't disagree... but sometimes you just have to trust your arm (Watson has a good arm, it isn't Mahomes but it ain't Shaub) and sling it. Closest play I could find in a hurry... Mahomes under pressure, throws it without being able to plant, longer throw than DW would have needed to make.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sack #5 wasn't a blitz. It was a 4 man rush where Fulton got beat and flushed Watson out of the pocket.
imo, sack 5 is a blitz. The four rushers are not the 4 down linemen. I think Buffalo's pass rush is beautiful. Reminds me of the old 3- 4 defenses where you didn't know which 4 guys were going to rush & a 5th rusher really stressed the OL.

This is the kind of creativity we need especially when we don't have a Watt or Clowney & a handful of guys who can almost get to the QB. Buffalo did it all day & it was very hard to tell which DL was backing out & which LB/SS/CB was rushing.

Still #5 is only a sack because Watson held on to the ball trying to make something happen. Fulton should definitely be credited with a pressure.

Once Fulton is washed out, Watson could just work the pocket behind Martin, Scharping, & Tunsil. They form a nice wall between him & the spy. All the receivers are on the far right side of the field so I can see why Watson broke right, but once he does he loses his protection.

Even if Fulton doesn't get beat there's not a lot of good options for Watson. Buffalo's coverage is pretty good there.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sack 6 - I don't know how you can't at least give partial blame on the OL. I mean, no one blocked the left edge rusher.
How did Watson call it? Is the RB supposed to block that guy? Is the TE supposed to stay in & block?

I don't know, but if you assume one of those two is a yes, can't blame the OL.

Whatever the call was, I don't understand the RB allowing a free rusher to run past him & not immediately look for the ball.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Sack 7 - It was a good designed blitz. I would have liked to have seen DW try to hit Duke immediately once he recognized the free rusher.
That's one where I'd think the slot receiver should have broke off his route & looked for the ball early.

But if that's third & ten...

Look at that CB giving "his" receiver 10 yards of cushion. With the nickle blitzing he's actually playing like a safety covering both routes. The safety is also out there giving inside help on the slot receiver.

If our slot receiver breaks off his route & sits in the hole he'll never make it to the sticks without breaking a tackle.

If he just looks for the ball while running a tight seam, there's a chance he'll make the 1st down, but it's a tight throw. He & the QB would have to be on the same page from the start. Not the kind of throw you want him to make as a hot read.

Really good defensive call if that's third down.