Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Lol, There was no "philosophical" change. What u saw Sunday was a qb getting the ball out on time, hitting his guys early & accurately & letting his skill guys do what they do in space. This was significantly aided by the Falcon's simple defensive scheme. The other thing you saw was DW4 using his cadence to keep the defense honest....& they used ALOT of tempo.

The play calls weren't all that different, the run/pass ratio was about the same and the "creativity" wasn't all that drastically different from how its been.
O'Brien said that

Texansballer74

The Marine
Lol, There was no "philosophical" change. What u saw Sunday was a qb getting the ball out on time, hitting his guys early & accurately & letting his skill guys do what they do in space. This was significantly aided by the Falcon's simple defensive scheme. The other thing you saw was DW4 using his cadence to keep the defense honest....& they used ALOT of tempo.

The play calls weren't all that different, the run/pass ratio was about the same and the "creativity" wasn't all that drastically different from how its been.

You also seen a lot more short routes and recievers finally schemed open. They were not hooked on the longer developing routes.

That offense we seen was totally different.

Last edited:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
You also seen a lot more short routes and recievers finally schemed open. There were not hooked on the longer developing routes.

That offense we seen was totally different.
That short stuff has always been there. Several of us have pointed it out over various games, The offense just looks different b/c you saw DW4 ACTUALLY TAKING the short stuff & taking it on time. In the prior 4 games he would take the short stuff at times, but they'd be last resort type throws. This game, he was hitting guys early...or early enough that they could run a little bit afterwards. Makes a huge difference, especially when you have so many mismatches in your favor.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
That short stuff has always been there. Several of us have pointed it out over various games, The offense just looks different b/c you saw DW4 ACTUALLY TAKING the short stuff & taking it on time. In the prior 4 games he would take the short stuff at times, but they'd be last resort type throws. This game, he was hitting guys early...or early enough that they could run a little bit afterwards. Makes a huge difference, especially when you have so many mismatches in your favor.
By short stuff we don't mean Hyde in the flat or Fells 1 yard past the line of scrimmage. It was laughable vs Carolina when Watson had like 4 yards per pass attempt.

OBrien finally used short to intermediate routes over the middle last game

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Our "scheme" did not preclude the Falcons from blitzing, nor did it force them to rush 3 on many plays. Had Watson not gotten the ball out quickly out under those circumstances, he could have taken 5-7 seconds back there........with probably the same old same old results of previous games.........or maybe not, as the Falcons D was so bad. For whatever reason, to Watson's credit, he got the ball out quickly this game.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Our "scheme" did not preclude the Falcons from blitzing, nor did it force them to rush 3 on many plays. Had Watson not gotten the ball out quickly out under those circumstances, he could have taken 5-7 seconds back there........with probably the same old same old results of previous games.........or maybe not, as the Falcons D was so bad. For whatever reason, to Watson's credit, he got the ball out quickly this game.
IMO schemes with slow developing routes and lacking effective hot reads could preclude Watson from getting the ball out effectively. The plays were night and day against the Falcons vs Panthers, where Watson was asked to dump off for a couple yards rather than attack intermediate routes

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
IMO schemes with slow developing routes and lacking effective hot reads could preclude Watson from getting the ball out effectively. The plays were night and day against the Falcons vs Panthers, where Watson was asked to dump off for a couple yards rather than attack intermediate routes
That doesn't account for NO blitzing and 3-man rushes..........and Watson in his post game video said the field at every level was wide open to him throughout the game........it wouldn't matter where he threw it.........everyone LOL'ed

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
By short stuff we don't mean Hyde in the flat or Fells 1 yard past the line of scrimmage. It was laughable vs Carolina when Watson had like 4 yards per pass attempt.

OBrien finally used short to intermediate routes over the middle last game
Just say " I will not accept any truth other than its BoB's fault" in everyone of your posts & the MB would be better for it.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Just say " I will not accept any truth other than its BoB's fault" in everyone of your posts & the MB would be better for it.
Just say " I will not accept any truth other than BoB's amazing" in everyone of your posts & the MB would be better for it

frethack

Rookie
True, but also O'Brien's philosophical change I think was a factor
I suspect you speak of the Falcons no blitz no rush scheme.
Or the Falcons are a terrible defense.
Or all of the above. The line looked better with a little less pressure. Watson looked better because he did sniff out the few blitzes the Falcons sent, he knew where his mismatch was pre-snap, and he got the ball out MUCH quicker.

Identifying the matchup and getting the ball out quickly is the key here. Hopefully Watson can keep building on his blitz recognition.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was

O'Brien finally used short to intermediate routes over the middle last game
Greg Cosell SPECIFICALLY called them "combo routes" and said that Houston does not really run anything technical in that regard prior to the game vs Atlanta. That's why when you start to see stacks and rubs become successful and the offense EXPLODES .. it wasn't just a case of a bad defense, its not just a better called game, its not JUST a QB that is "finally getting it" .. its a combination of all those things with football being the mother of all organized sports. EVERYONE has to do their job in order to be successful as a unit, and also why the NFL head coach is the most vital coach/manager in any other sport in the world and why his mistakes are much more magnified and his success easy to attribute to someone else.

WITH THAT SAID...

Its disingenuous to this community to say that "those routes were always there, and those guys were open, but Watson was not seeing them" because NO those routes did not exist, and if that held any merit there would be enough football men saying so and enough video to support that theory.

We are witnessing the last few die hard O'Brien apologists holding on for dear life on their crumbling position. Instead of finding common ground with ALL Texan fans and having some commonality we have to deal with more of the same in hot topics that keep people at odds.

LOL Seth Payne just said the other day that YES - YES THERE ARE some philosophical changes occurring within the offensive unit of the Texans right now. So to state that it has always been there, and its really just laying it at the feet of Watson is counter productive to the advancement of a Texan brotherhood.

So...

We win in spite of O'Brien, not because of him. #FACTS.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Another thing I like is entire Oline + Watson played all 73 plays. Personally I'm more concerned with CnnnD's recent input on Gipson's hip and Joseph's hamstring.

frethack

Rookie
According to PFF (take for what you will) Watson was 7/8 against the blitz with a TD.

Not sure this includes the Hyde touchdown where it looked like he checked to the run when Falcons showed safety blitz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well officially they had more than 5 sacks in the first game, the NOLA game alone.
So much of this seems to be open to interpretation it's challenging to know what the stats really are ?
Now that I think about it. If we keep changing our OL starters we can I can see the numbers they mentioned.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I'm encouraged. While we've been bad at times especially with stunts and blitzes we've had spurts where they were good. I think the talent is finally there. It's a matter of coaching and cohesion now.

mws

Rookie
It seems Watson's sacks goes hand in hand with how good their opponent is at getting sacks. Teams in the top 10 sacks per game have sacked him 16 times. Team ranked 23 and lower have sacked him 2 times.

Saints - Sacks Per Game AVG 3.0, Rank 9, Sacked Watson 6 Times
Jaguars - Sacks Per Game AVG 3.2, Rank 6, Sacked Watson 4 Times
Chargers - Sacks Per Game AVG 2.0, Rank 23, Sacked Watson 2 Times
Panthers - Sacks Per Game AVG 4.5, Rank 1, Sacked Watson 6 Times
Falcons - Sacks Per Game AVG 0.8, Rank 32, Sacked Watson 0 Times
Chiefs - Sacks Per Game AVG 1.8, Rank 25, Sacked Watson 0 Times

We'll see how we do against the Colts. They are middle of the pack, ranked 16 averaging 2.6 sacks per game.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It seems Watson's sacks goes hand in hand with how good their opponent is at getting sacks. Teams in the top 10 sacks per game have sacked him 16 times. Team ranked 23 and lower have sacked him 2 times.

Saints - Sacks Per Game AVG 3.0, Rank 9, Sacked Watson 6 Times
Jaguars - Sacks Per Game AVG 3.2, Rank 6, Sacked Watson 4 Times
Chargers - Sacks Per Game AVG 2.0, Rank 23, Sacked Watson 2 Times
Panthers - Sacks Per Game AVG 4.5, Rank 1, Sacked Watson 6 Times
Falcons - Sacks Per Game AVG 0.8, Rank 32, Sacked Watson 0 Times
Chiefs - Sacks Per Game AVG 1.8, Rank 25, Sacked Watson 0 Times

We'll see how we do against the Colts. They are middle of the pack, ranked 16 averaging 2.6 sacks per game.
If the Chargers sacked him 6 times, how would that affect their average & where would they rank?

I follow what you are saying, it makes sense. But may be a little too close to determining who is & who isn't good at generating sacks.

mws

Rookie
If the Chargers sacked him 6 times, how would that affect their average & where would they rank?

I follow what you are saying, it makes sense. But may be a little too close to determining who is & who isn't good at generating sacks.
The Chargers only sacked him 2 times. Which lines up exactly with their avg. per game. The Saints & the Panthers sacked him 6 times.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Chargers only sacked him 2 times. Which lines up exactly with their avg. per game. The Saints & the Panthers sacked him 6 times.
I know. The Chargers average would be higher i....

Take out the Texans games. Does that change the rankings?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
According to PFF (take for what you will) Watson was 7/8 against the blitz with a TD.

Not sure this includes the Hyde touchdown where it looked like he checked to the run when Falcons showed safety blitz.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Dealing with a blitz was never a Watson issue, it was a scheme issue imo

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Ok, I admit I have been a fire Devlin guy, but wanted to give some props. He developed two young small school guys, and Rod Johnson looks like he can play, Martin is playing better then expected now too. So I have my eye on you dude, but I have been a hater and thought should point out something is trending up and he probably deserves a bit of credit now that he has some talent to work with. Don't screw it up Devlin!

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Ok, I admit I have been a fire Devlin guy, but wanted to give some props. He developed two young small school guys, and Rod Johnson looks like he can play, Martin is playing better then expected now too. So I have my eye on you dude, but I have been a hater and thought should point out something is trending up and he probably deserves a bit of credit now that he has some talent to work with. Don't screw it up Devlin!
Talent makes a lot of difference

frethack

Rookie
Hows everyone liking Howard and Mad Max?
Im a Howard fan...too bad about the knee. The kid and Tunsil are going to be a pair of damn good tackles. Scharping and Tunsil are becoming a mauling machine on the left. Just need to clean up the penalties.

Good returns on both so far.

Ill throw in again that if Tunsil keeps improving at this pace, he may be worth the price of admission. Glad we have him.

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Clark is back

Tweet from @DeepSlant: #Texans signed two offensive linemen to the 53-man roster: OT Dan Skipper and former Texans RT Chris Clark. Released QB Alex McGough and put Seantrel Henderson on NFI list.
Wow, was seeing Seantrel as last even servicable tackle in case of injury. Must have his medical issues flaring back up?? Stay healthy boys!