Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

I'm getting the feel that some on this board must be watching the games live or on TV with a patch over their right eye...b/c they didn't see much wrong with the right side of the line. Take the patch off and watch the performance of the entire OL.

Thunderkyss exactly and bro that's with a banged up patched together Oline. But so many sky is falling fans won't ever see that none fact.

It's like watching GoT & getting pissed off that it didn't follow the book, or how you think it should have played out.

Can't stop watching it. Everybody else loves it. But season 7 is mediocre because they killed Ned Stark in season 1 & hasn't brought him back...

yet.

I'm getting the feel that some on this board must be watching the games live or on TV with a patch over their right eye...b/c they didn't see much wrong with the right side of the line. Take the patch off and watch the performance of the entire OL.

That's not the point. Everyone understands there were issues with the right side of the line.

The question is more about how bad it was.

We couldn't make up short yards. We couldn't run in the red zone, there was an invisible force field around the goal line...

But other than that...

So we could have over paid for some washed up has been (Okung) or a guy who really isn't that good (like the lions did)... or overdrafted guys missing important measurables, speed, or agility.

That's not the point. Everyone understands there were issues with the right side of the line.

The question is more about how bad it was.

We couldn't make up short yards. We couldn't run in the red zone, there was an invisible force field around the goal line...

But other than that...

So we could have over paid for some washed up has been (Okung) or a guy who really isn't that good (like the lions did)... or overdrafted guys missing important measurables, speed, or agility.

Nope this IS the point.

The rest of your post depends on how you feel about Bolles/Robinson/Ramczyck. I like them, you must not. They were certainly worth a 1st rd pick. Unless you're buying into Ricky's schtick again this yr.

In all reality I don't give a **** about who the head coach is, or the QB, or the GM. What I care about is seeing football players in Texan uniforms kick ass and win games.

When I get tired of the constant mediocrity and the "just missed it" seasons, I blame management first, players second. And right now I blame management for a lot of stupid off season shenanigans and dumb ass player acquisitions.

Nope this IS the point.

The rest of your post depends on how you feel about Bolles/Robinson/Ramczyck. I like them, you must not. They were certainly worth a 1st rd pick. Unless you're buying into Ricky's schtick again this yr.
I agree these OTs were worth a first but Texans and many here think it was better to draft as they did for a QB. I think it comes down to either OT in first and a QB later rounds or QB by trade up and OT later rounds or I guess some other similar scenario.

Nope this IS the point.

I like them well enough, but I know my way isn't the only way.

If we'd have picked one of them in the 2nd, someone would be crying about our LB situation. If we'd have picked one in the third, someone would be crying about Alfred Blue.

Obviously you don't think much of Davenport, or Lamm.

I agree these OTs were worth a first but Texans and many here think it was better to draft as they did for a QB. I think it comes down to either OT in first and a QB later rounds or QB by trade up and OT later rounds or I guess some other similar scenario.

Personally, I don't think it's better... I don't think drafting one of the best OTs in one of the worst OT drafts would have been "better."

I think it is.

Like Ned Stark getting his head chopped off in season 1... doesn't matter that I think it would have been a better story for him to sit on the Iron Throne, or that I think they should have got Keely Hazel to play Daenerys Targaryan.

I'm just a spectator. Even though I think I cold cast better than them fkrs in Hollywood, & write better than half of them as well, I've got to visit reality from time to time.

Reactions: JB

I think it was a grave mistake not to draft Ramczyk. He is coming off of surgery, so it is quite possible that he would not be ready to start this year, but he could learn from Giacomini. As a huge bonus, I could see him replacing Duane Brown down the road. He would be every bit, the value of Nick Martin. Honestly, how can you ever evaluate the true talent of your QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs without a complete offensive line ? The other huge plus is the fact that we would still have a 1st rd pick next year. I know I am a broken record, ..... but the game really is won and lost in the trenches !!

So firing everybody would make us a instant SB winner.

Gotcha

BS post, I never said that.

What I said was that if the Texans want to become a SB champion they need to be in the top 10 in offense/defense/ST's and I will stand by my thoughts.

This is where the difference in opinion is coming from.

They needed to wait for the 2018 QB rich class instead of big time reaching for Watson. IMHO

What I said was that if the Texans want to become a SB champion they need to be in the top 10 in offense/defense/ST's and I will stand by my thoughts.
This is arguably the most certain path to the SB - a balanced team. But I could see a dominate defense, paired with a ball control offense that wasn't a top ten offense, winning the SB. But I'm not sure the opposite is as certain. A dominate offense can be schemed against and slowed by a dominate defense. The old saying is "defense wins championships".

This could be the situation for the Texans this season, if the dice roll right with the injuries.

Personally, I don't think it's better... I don't think drafting one of the best OTs in one of the worst OT drafts would have been "better."

I think it is.

Like Ned Stark getting his head chopped off in season 1... doesn't matter that I think it would have been a better story for him to sit on the Iron Throne, or that I think they should have got Keely Hazel to play Daenerys Targaryan.

I'm just a spectator. Even though I think I cold cast better than them fkrs in Hollywood, & write better than half of them as well, I've got to visit reality from time to time.
ah and this MB is reality? :kitten:

I think it was a grave mistake not to draft Ramczyk. He is coming off of surgery, so it is quite possible that he would not be ready to start this year, but he could learn from Giacomini. As a huge bonus, I could see him replacing Duane Brown down the road. He would be every bit, the value of Nick Martin. Honestly, how can you ever evaluate the true talent of your QBs, RBs, WRs, and TEs without a complete offensive line ? The other huge plus is the fact that we would still have a 1st rd pick next year. I know I am a broken record, ..... but the game really is won and lost in the trenches !!
although Ram had a good year it was his first and the hip surgery also brings a caution. From April 25th
Keep in mind, Broncos center Matt Paradis had a similar surgery this offseason and has yet to return to practice this offseason so it would be interesting to see if the Broncos would add another lineman recovering from the same major surgery.
https://www.milehighreport.com/2017...r-king-mocks-wisconsin-tackle-ryan-ramczyk-to

Now that Saints LT Armstead will miss 6 weeks or so, we should see soon if Ram will be ready go game one.
I can see how Texans with Brown's recent return plus Newton bilateral knee destruction could hesitate on preferring to draft Ramcyzk over a possible franchise QB.

This is where the difference in opinion is coming from.

They needed to wait for the 2018 QB rich class instead of big time reaching for Watson. IMHO
yet you will admit that almost every year recently the QB class was thought to be rich until draft? Here is a mock with five QBs going before Texans would have if no trade and that does not include any possible trades as possibly could occur with the cream coming off board so quickly.

What was the last team to be in the top 10 in all three phases and win the SB?

I don't know, but figure of course you would.

So the Giants and Ravens were top 10 in all of those categories when they won their SB's.

You're talking outliers.

But yes, I would say the Ravens OL opening holes for Jamal Lewis was top 10.

Look at the teams that reached the AFC/NFC championship games this yr. Pats/Packers/Falcons/Steelers all had what I would consider top 10 OL's.

So the Giants and Ravens were top 10 in all of those categories when they won their SB's.

You're talking outliers.

But yes, I would say the Ravens OL opening holes for Jamal Lewis was top 10.

Look at the teams that reached the AFC/NFC championship games this yr. Pats/Packers/Falcons/Steelers all had what I would consider top 10 OL's.

yet you will admit that almost every year recently the QB class was thought to be rich until draft? Here is a mock with five QBs going before Texans would have if no trade and that does not include any possible trades as possibly could occur with the cream coming off board so quickly.

Nope I liked the 2014 class and last yrs Goff/Wentz class. This yrs class is below avg to avg at best. IMHO

what QBs were eligible to Texans in those drafts?

2014 Class, Bortles/Bridgewater/Carr/My Favorite Jimmy G./Johnny Football/McCarron who TK liked alot and he convinced me.

2016- Goff/Wentzr (Who Tex turned me on to./Cook who I liked/Dak.

2014 Class, Bortles/Bridgewater/Carr/My Favorite Jimmy G./Johnny Football/McCarron who TK liked alot and he convinced me.

2016- Goff/Wentzr (Who Tex turned me on to./Cook who I liked/Dak.
Bortles and Bridgewater have done little to impress so far and there was no way McNair was drafting another Carr no matter how he looks now. Was Not happening. Garopollo I agree with you IF you wanted to draft him 2.1 as NE kept him from us #65. When he was picked there were lots of surprised people. Texans would have had to believed Pats wanted him and then made a trade up above #62.

Nope I liked the 2014 class and last yrs Goff/Wentz class. This yrs class is below avg to avg at best. IMHO

I personally like Watson better than both Goff & Wentz (as a first round prospect). Given time, I could see Wentz being the better of the two... but Goff, not my cup of tea.

although Ram had a good year it was his first and the hip surgery also brings a caution. From April 25th https://www.milehighreport.com/2017...r-king-mocks-wisconsin-tackle-ryan-ramczyk-to

Now that Saints LT Armstead will miss 6 weeks or so, we should see soon if Ram will be ready go game one.
I can see how Texans with Brown's recent return plus Newton bilateral knee destruction could hesitate on preferring to draft Ramcyzk over a possible franchise QB.

I was not very excited about trading up in the first round specifically for Ramczyk. Although not widely reported, his hip labrum tear surgery was accompanied by core muscle injury............an injury that is equally concerning when considering the future. From back in April:

Hip labrum problems as I've mentioned previously are commonly associated with other core muscle damage such as adductor tears and sports hernias...........injuries that have a knack for becoming chronic and recurrent. Looks like now Payton during the Thursday night news conference reported that "He's coming off a core muscle injury and hip surgery." Again, for a 300+ pounder, not a good way to start an NFL career.

I liked Bolles the most out of the tackles this year, but even as a big fan I can see his warts, the age and lack of experience and full conditioning. Ramczyk had all kinds of injury flags and only one year under his belt. I never liked Robinson as a tackle and definitely not as a future LT. In a tackle starved league its quite telling that these guys went as late as they did. The fact that Robinson went round 2 given his experience, awards, and school says everything about what most teams thought of his potential. Basically thinking that any of these guys were going to be sure fire starters day 1 and be anything better this year than whats on the roster is a stretch.

I was not very excited about trading up in the first round specifically for Ramczyk. Although not widely reported, his hip labrum tear surgery was accompanied by core muscle injury............an injury that is equally concerning when considering the future. From back in April:
Wow sounds like a real caveat emptor for teams giving serious consideration to drafting Ramczyk but obviously one team, the Saints, went ahead despite the bright red flag
and took the Wisconsin OT at their own peril.

Ok, there aren't many. Because it's not necessary.

I'm not going to waste my time looking it up. But the fact is the Texans are competing against the Pats to try to win a SB. Until they do add to the talent level where they're on par with the Pats I wouldn't expect any Lombardi's down on Kirby.

Look at what the defending SB champs have done this offseason vs what the boys on
Kirby have done and tell me their org has gained any this offseason on the Pats.

I'm not going to waste my time looking it up. But the fact is the Texans are competing against the Pats to try to win a SB. Until they do add to the talent level where they're on par with the Pats I wouldn't expect any Lombardi's down on Kirby.

Look at what the defending SB champs have done this offseason vs what the boys on
Kirby have done and tell me their org has gained any this offseason on the Pats.

Sure. Still doesn't necessitate a top 10 in all 3 phases.

30 other teams are competing with the Pats... I wouldn't expect any of the them to be on par with the Pats either and Lombardi's aren't up for grab by just any of them.

30 other teams are competing with the Pats... I wouldn't expect any of the them to be on par with the Pats either and Lombardi's aren't up for grab by just any of them.

The question is 1. are the Texans going to win a SB if their talent level becomes equal to the Pats. 2. Have the Texans gained or lost to the Pats this offseason?

This should be all that really matters. (But it's not unfortunately)

The question is 1. are the Texans going to win a SB if their talent level becomes equal to the Pats. 2. Have the Texans gained or lost to the Pats this offseason?

This should be all that really matters. (But it's not unfortunately)

IF we've found ourselves a bonafide QB, we're closer. As close as we've ever been.

You could have five studs up front, if we're trotting out Case Keenum or Bj Daniels out there... it don't matter.

IF we've found ourselves a bonafide QB, we're closer. As close as we've ever been.

You could have five studs up front, if we're trotting out Case Keenum or Bj Daniels out there... it don't matter.

Yep,

Unfortunately they haven't found one yet. IMHO

I liked Bolles the most out of the tackles this year, but even as a big fan I can see his warts, the age and lack of experience and full conditioning. Ramczyk had all kinds of injury flags and only one year under his belt. I never liked Robinson as a tackle and definitely not as a future LT. In a tackle starved league its quite telling that these guys went as late as they did. The fact that Robinson went round 2 given his experience, awards, and school says everything about what most teams thought of his potential. Basically thinking that any of these guys were going to be sure fire starters day 1 and be anything better this year than whats on the roster is a stretch.
After the players in the Texans Draft, Bolles will be one of those players drafted by another team this year which I'll be following most closely.
He is talented and and an excellent tackle prospect in several categories but he's also comes with several significant concerns, warts as you say.
So his development and progress in the NFL will be interesting to monitor. After the QBs predicting the success of the OT position is one if not the most challenging.

After the players in the Texans Draft, Bolles will be one of those players drafted by another team this year which I'll be following most closely.
He is talented and an excellent tackle prospect in several categories but he also comes with several significant concerns, warts as you say.
So his development and progress in the NFL will be interesting to monitor. After the QBs predicting the success of the OT position is one of if not the most challenging.

He is talented and an excellent tackle prospect in several categories but he also comes with several significant concerns, warts as you say.
So his development and progress in the NFL will be interesting to monitor. After the QBs predicting the success of the OT position is one of if not the most challenging.

I did a lot of draft prep on the tackles this year. Bolles had a great attitude/mean streak on the field coupled with superior athleticism. His tape was fun to watch and I did really want him to be a Texan. They would have had to trade up to snag him though in hindsight, and that seemed likely going into the draft with so many tackle needy teams picking in the 20's. As much as I like Bolles I didn't like Robinson (as a LT). I'll be following him and Fournette closely. Primarily to see if the bad vibe I got off of them ends up being true.

I did a lot of draft prep on the tackles this year. Bolles had a great attitude/mean streak on the field coupled with superior athleticism. His tape was fun to watch and I did really want him to be a Texan. They would have had to trade up to snag him though in hindsight, and that seemed likely going into the draft with so many tackle needy teams picking in the 20's. As much as I like Bolles I didn't like Robinson (as a LT). I'll be following him and Fournette closely. Primarily to see if the bad vibe I got off of them ends up being true.

Bolles scared me. I thought Robinson would be a great RT and would have loved him in the 2nd to start at RT.

If Kubiak was still here Bolles would have been a great pick. He's built for the Zone Blocking scheme. But he's not what BOB is looking for in an O-lineman. I think Robinson is more what BOB was looking for but with his "off the field" red flags and where he fell in the Draft (#34), I don't think he was ever an option.

If Kubiak was still here Bolles would have been a great pick. He's built for the Zone Blocking scheme. But he's not what BOB is looking for in an O-lineman. I think Robinson is more what BOB was looking for but with his "off the field" red flags and where he fell in the Draft (#34), I don't think he was ever an option.

Robinson's, "off the field" red flags stem from an over zealous Louisiana policeman being overly aggressive and seeking his revenge against a boy from Louisiana who had decided to go to school at Alabama instead of LSU.

Robinson's, "off the field" red flags stem from an over zealous Louisiana policeman being overly aggressive and seeking his revenge against a boy from Louisiana who had decided to go to school at Alabama instead of LSU.

That may be the case, and if Robinson had fallen to the Texans in the 2nd round they may have taken him. But I guess we'll never know!

Back