Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik interviewing

Nico went from having a guy who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 10 ft, to a guy that can hit a nailhead on the same barn from 50 feet.

I also think Slowik helped tremendously with scheming him open, something the previous staffs couldn’t seem to do.

it’s going to be a big loss if Slowik moves on. I don’t get the Slowik hate whatsoever. The guy took this offense from 31st to 12th with a rookie QB, nobody at RB, and a WR room among the leagues worst. What in the hell are you guys talking about? Utter nonsense.
It might be a new brand of Kool-Aid laced with some fentanyl.

Last edited:
Nico went from having a guy who couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from 10 ft, to a guy that can hit a nailhead on the same barn from 50 feet.

I also think Slowik helped tremendously with scheming him open, something the previous staffs couldn’t seem to do.

it’s going to be a big loss if Slowik moves on. I don’t get the Slowik hate whatsoever. The guy took this offense from 31st to 12th with a rookie QB, nobody at RB, and a WR room among the leagues worst. What in the hell are you guys talking about? Utter nonsense.

No hate, I think more people are just saying that maybe Stroud had more to do with taking the offense from #31 to #12.

I don’t see any hate.

People are getting comfortable with Slowik leaving as long as Jerrod Johnson stays.

Plus - people know the offense wouldn’t look as good as it did if you didn’t have someone of Stroud’s caliber at QB.

It’s common sense.

Johnson deserves this. Top 5 offenses in both years as the Lions coordinator. 12 years as an NFL assistant. Johnson is an overnight sensation a dozen years in the making. I think Washington wins this division by 2026.

I was thinking why not next year like us?

But the NFC East is built different with teams that don’t suck as much as the Colts, Jags and Oilers do.

The Cowboys suck, but that is only in January during the playoffs.

Wow. Didn’t see that coming. I for sure thought it would be Slowik.

ATL still looks promising for Slowik.

Maybe everyone was waiting to see what would happen with WFT since that was a prime spot. Now another hot name like ATL and possibly other teams will announce their hiring.

ATL
CAR
SEA

Who else is out there?

chargers

Reactions: JB
No, Meco walked into the situation with a #2 overall pick, which the Panthers HC will not have.
1st, this does not prove that your previous post describes the situation DeMeco walked into. 2nd, if I were a HC candidate I wouldn't let one draft pick weigh too heavy on my decision. It wasn't that long ago many thought Carolina had a very good roster. At least better than the Texans. They were a borderline playoff team, just a handful of players (maybe a QB) away from being relevant.

IF I were a coordinator going into my first HC position Id like to think I had some belief in job security of at least one season and the best possible scenario for success or at the very least a circumstance that would offer me a body of work that provided opportunity for another headcoaching gig, if not immediately after. Not long after.
That's the same tomato DeMeco walked into. Tepper fired his HC months into the season. But it's not like a pattern. Cal fired 3 HCs in 3 years. Why would the Houston job appear more "secure" than the Panthers job?

I understand DeMeco had history in Houston & that swayed his decision. But that doesn't make the job "look" any more "secure"

I understand Tepper is now public enemy #1 because he didn't share our convictions of Cj Stroud. But c'mon. Demonizing him doesn't make us any better. We are better, but not because we take shots at a man who chooses to run his team the way he sees fit.

1st, this does not prove that your previous post describes the situation DeMeco walked into. 2nd, if I were a HC candidate I wouldn't let one draft pick weigh too heavy on my decision. It wasn't that long ago many thought Carolina had a very good roster. At least better than the Texans. They were a borderline playoff team, just a handful of players (maybe a QB) away from being relevant.

That's the same tomato DeMeco walked into. Tepper fired his HC months into the season. But it's not like a pattern. Cal fired 3 HCs in 3 years. Why would the Houston job appear more "secure" than the Panthers job?

I understand DeMeco had history in Houston & that swayed his decision. But that doesn't make the job "look" any more "secure"

I understand Tepper is now public enemy #1 because he didn't share our convictions of Cj Stroud. But c'mon. Demonizing him doesn't make us any better. We are better, but not because we take shots at a man who chooses to run his team the way he sees fit.
The Houston job was more appealing because of the draft capital going into last off-season. DeMeco had 2 1st rounders last year and 2 1st's this year when he accepted the job. Carolina traded everything away for Bryce Young. A new head coach won't be fixing that roster overnight.

The Houston job was more appealing because of the draft capital going into last off-season. DeMeco had 2 1st rounders last year and 2 1st's this year when he accepted the job. Carolina traded everything away for Bryce Young. A new head coach won't be fixing that roster overnight.
Understood. But I keep highlighting the part I’m referring to. The part I’ve been quoting. He’s saying the Panther job is undesirable because of the meddlesome owner. I’m saying that description of Tepper is the same as any McNair that’s run this organization.

Understood. But I keep highlighting the part I’m referring to. The part I’ve been quoting. He’s saying the Panther job is undesirable because of the meddlesome owner. I’m saying that description of Tepper is the same as any McNair that’s run this organization.
Oh, I was going off the part you quoted from him about Houston having the #2 pick and Carolina not. Job security in the NFL only comes with winning. DeMeco came here with great draft capital and the opportunity to take his QB in the draft. If he picked the wrong QB then there goes his job security. Carolina's next HC has to hope Bryce Young turns it around. If he doesn't then the next HC won't last too long in Carolina.

Didn’t Andy Reid’s offensive coordinator go the HC route, then got fired and now are back to being OC for Reid?

Not a bad move.
Yeah, hell of a business? Nagy went to the Bears in 2018 for a 5 year ~35m contract. Was fired in year 3 (2021) and went back to the Chiefs in 2022 as a QB coach, promoted to OC the next year when the other guy left to join the Giants (lol).

In the business world we call that a "boomerang" and it's encouraged. Some people will leave a company they have been with for over a decade, go to a competitor for 6-12 months, then get rehired at their old firm for 25% more salary. It's actually one of the best ways to make your company bid for your actual worth, because when you are already an employee they don't have any competitors.

A couple of points and one with a different perspective that speaks to Slowik's genius. (1) Slowik and Peters worked together in SF and WASH has the most cap space available. (2) Everyone is talking about and making a big to-do about C. J. Stroud. The thing that stood out to me was Slowik took Nico Collins who for 2 years had been nothing more than just an average and ordinary WR and turned him into a premier WR in the NFL.
OK those are fair points, worthy of consideration.
Let me offer another perspective: from the purely economic opportunity which is that Slowick will most likely be offered more money and income, certainly at his very young age of 36, he has enjoyed previously and that's certainly a most important consideration especially since the young coach is married with children.

If Texans really want to try to keep Slowik here, they could try a nice pay bump. Sure it may not be HC type $s, but it is still an incentive.
Go ahead, make him the highest paid OC in the league.

It's really Atl or bust for Slowik, and being greedy I hope it's bust. We should now soon. I think it's imperative to CJ and the offense more broadly to run with Bobby again. He did an incredible job in my book. He gets a solid A from me. Worked with CJ from jump to help develop him very quickly (credit also to Johnson), got incredible production from the passing game, schemed guys open constantly, and made JAG's look like a cut above. The running game still needs major work, but all in all, Slowik is already in one year, easily the 2nd best OC we've ever had in 20+ years. Kubiak is #1 of course.

There’s no way Vrabel and Hoodie don’t get hired…is there? How many jobs are left? Looks like the Panthers have their guy from Tampa. I know ATL is open. Who else?

From Falcons insiders Slowik has really impressed the brass there. I'd almost be surprised if he wasn't offered the job at this point.

Really all comes down to him and what he thinks he can do with the QB situation there and who might be available at #8 or if they have the potential to move up. I personally think the draft's current top 3 will all be sticking at their position and will all be taking QBs. So could be interesting and the only potential sticking point for Bobby as I think they have the rest of the tools there for him to be successfull.

I really thought Belichick was going to be the hire there, but there seems to be more noise around Bobby than Bill.

Wow, I was sweating bullets thinking they were hiring Bobby. It almost makes me think he took himself out of the running. There is no way to know, but there was a lot of smoke around Bobby and little around Raheem.

I think that only leaves Seattle, and I've heard nothing linking Bobby to Seattle. Please share if anyone has heard of any interviews or even a rumor about Slowik to Seattle.

Otherwise, we're just about out of the woods and can move on with Slowik as OC. We'll see about Johnson leaving. It would be big for CJ if both guys stay and help CJ take it up a notch next year.

In short...I'm pumped!

Wow, I was sweating bullets thinking they were hiring Bobby. It almost makes me think he took himself out of the running. There is no way to know, but there was a lot of smoke around Bobby and little around Raheem.

I think that only leaves Seattle, and I've heard nothing linking Bobby to Seattle. Please share if anyone has heard of any interviews or even a rumor about Slowik to Seattle.

Otherwise, we're just about out of the woods and can move on with Slowik as OC. We'll see about Johnson leaving. It would be big for CJ if both guys stay and help CJ take it up a notch next year.

In short...I'm pumped!
Slowik had an interview with Seahawks I believe but was never scheduled for a second.

Dan Quinn was the obvious favourite to get the job right from the start but Ejiro Evero has been made a bit of a favourite too. Mike Vrabel's name has been thrown around a lot but I think that's more to do with fan clamor than anything.

Overall Field Gulls keeps a pretty comprehensive tracking of the coaching search.

It’s looking more and more like the good guys are gonna have continuity on the offensive coaching staff for year two. Hopefully the Texans reap the same rewards as the Lions.

Speaking of…

The Lions had a great season of offensive success last year. Ben Johnson was a hot name before taking himself out of HC interviews citing unfinished business with the Lions.

Then the team added two playmakers to help the offense take the next step (Gibbs/Laporta).

I’d love to see the Texans repeat their blueprint for success.

Back