Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik interviewing

Oh, I was going off the part you quoted from him about Houston having the #2 pick and Carolina not. Job security in the NFL only comes with winning. DeMeco came here with great draft capital and the opportunity to take his QB in the draft. If he picked the wrong QB then there goes his job security.
The word is Demeco didn't want a QB. He was taking the best player in the draft & rolling with Mills until the owners pesky wife & her fan council meddled & overruled the football people kinda like Tepper did & that's my point.

If he picked the wrong QB then there goes his job security. Carolina's next HC has to hope Bryce Young turns it around. If he doesn't then the next HC won't last too long in Carolina.
Sounds kinda like Mike Vrabel having to hope Marcus Mariota turns it around. Or Robert Saleh & Zach Wilson, or Jim Harbaugh & Alex Smith. Or Kubiak & David Carr.

Whoever goes to Carolina, if he wants job security needs to put together a team that can win with a good QB. Bryce Young might be that guy, doesn't have to be. If his focus is making Bryce something he's not he doesn't deserve the job anyway.

The Lions had a great season of offensive success last year. Ben Johnson was a hot name before taking himself out of HC interviews citing unfinished business with the Lions.

Then the team added two playmakers to help the offense take the next step (Gibbs/Laporta).

I’d love to see the Texans repeat their blueprint for success.
I would too but there is a slight difference. The Lions OL is pretty damn good. They have been in the top 5 in sacks allowed the past 2 years and this year they also had a top 5 rushing attack.

Wasn't he statistically arguably our worst DC ever?

He was a great LB coach though.
So I looked it up. It was the worst in the league for points against (436), but that's not the worst in team history as the wonderful years of 2020 and 2021 eclipsed it.

So two more HC openings remain in Washington and Seattle. Are we starting to think we might be in the clear here for one more year? Don't want to start counting chickens yet but it sure would be nice if we could keep this staff together for another year.

Counting chickens a little here, but I think Washington is just waiting for Detroit's season to wrap up to announce Ben Johnson as their new HC..

Yes, strong rumor (not denied) that Ben Johnson is the man in Washington. I think that's the last spot where it's likely that Bobby would land. Technically Washington is open, but it seems as though they are only waiting for Det's season to be over. Seattle is still open, so there is a possibility there, but I don't see it. Could be wrong, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Man that stings. I love his attitude. I think that's a great attitude and I think he's going to be an excellent HC. But from the Texans vantage point, this stings. This definitely re-opens that Redskins job and it's a pretty good job, to be honest.

I can only hope that Slowik has the same resolve as Ben Johnson and wants to finish the job here before he leaves for greener pastures.

Reactions: JB
Realize that he needs a better qb than Mac Jones, Bailey Zappe and a washed up Cam Newton. He could make the playoffs with Matt Cassel but not those three stooges.

Belichick the GM needs to find better QBs for Belichick the coach.

Brilliant coaching career, buy nothing lasts forever. Dude should retire and enjoy the accolades while he waits for Canton to call.

Don’t know what’s up with Johnson. New owner who’s ready to win, massive cap space, and a high draft pick. Not going to find a better job than Washington. And he’s not winning a Super Bowl with Dan Campbell as the head coach and Goff as his QB.
Let's revisit this post in a couple of years

Don’t know what’s up with Johnson. New owner who’s ready to win, massive cap space, and a high draft pick. Not going to find a better job than Washington. And he’s not winning a Super Bowl with Dan Campbell as the head coach and Goff as his QB.
Just my opinion but Commanders weren't even the best destination in this hiring cycle. The only thing they've got going for them at this point is having the #2 pick and the ability to go for whoever you want at QB. Otherwise it's a pretty bare bones roster.

We've seen worse than Goff and Campbell win championships so I wouldn't completely discount it. Not saying they'll win one but they've definitely got a shot.

Not me, he just isnt that good without a GOAT. BB had four losing seasons out of five in CLE, goes to NE, goes 5-11 the first year (2000) then Bledsoe gets hurt in game 2 of 2001, in comes arguably the GOAT, voila, genius head coach! GOAT QB leaves and four years later he's one game over .500. This coming from the guy that had the keys to the kingdom, made all the calls. He's a good coach, by wins the GOAT but it's obvious the QB makes the coach in this scenario. Unless he has "that guy" at 72 I'd go young.

Not me, he just isnt that good without a GOAT. BB had four losing seasons out of five in CLE, goes to NE, goes 5-11 the first year (2000) then Bledsoe gets hurt in game 2 of 2001, in comes arguably the GOAT, voila, genius head coach! GOAT QB leaves and four years later he's one game over .500. This coming from the guy that had the keys to the kingdom, made all the calls. He's a good coach, by wins the GOAT but it's obvious the QB makes the coach in this scenario. Unless he has "that guy" at 72 I'd go young.
He took the Browns to the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb as his QB. Ozzie gives Belichick credit for teaching him how to run an org. He built the the Pats org and was on his way to being a playoff team with Bledsoe. Luckily Bledsoe got hurt and the rest is history.

Blank should've hired Belichick and let him find his QB if Blank was serious about winning. However as long as Rich McKay runs Blank's org they aren't serious about winning.

He took the Browns to the playoffs with Kelly Holcomb as his QB. Ozzie gives Belichick credit for teaching him how to run an org. He built the the Pats org and was on his way to being a playoff team with Bledsoe. Luckily Bledsoe got hurt and the rest is history.

Blank should've hired Belichick and let him find his QB if Blank was serious about winning. However as long as Rich McKay runs Blank's org they aren't serious about winning.
I think you’re off by a few years. IIRC that was Testaverde he had then. Holcomb came after that. As for running an org that’s the problem with him, all the warts are hidden with a GOAT QB. They make everyone and the lesser talent around them better.

For the most part they really never nailed drafts and they pulled in FAs that could benefit from a GOAT QB and a system that worked because of a GOAT QB.

Just my opinion but Commanders weren't even the best destination in this hiring cycle. The only thing they've got going for them at this point is having the #2 pick and the ability to go for whoever you want at QB. Otherwise it's a pretty bare bones roster.
Yes it's a bare bones roster. And the new guy can help fill that up with a bunch of draft picks and the most cap space in the league. Out with the old, in with the new. The new you help select.

Johnson got cold feet. He has his reasons. But I don't think not wanting leave Detroit is not high on the list.

Man im extremely excited that we got both our guys back. Gives Stroud another year in the system and builds chemistry. Hoping that we find a way to solidify this run game next year. It doesnt even have to be a top 10 Rushing attack just something that teams have to respect. If they find a way to do that Stroud will be even more Deadly this upcoming season.

Yes it's a bare bones roster. And the new guy can help fill that up with a bunch of draft picks and the most cap space in the league. Out with the old, in with the new. The new you help select.

Johnson got cold feet. He has his reasons. But I don't think not wanting leave Detroit is high on the list.
It's pure conjecture how much power/say the new coach is being offered for those roster decisions.

Given that they've yet to fill the head coaching role I think it would be easier to guess that they aren't being offered that much power towards roster decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back