Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Slowik interviewing

ghostlight

Veteran
Well it seems other teams are very interested in Slowik so he must be a very good OC. I haven’t thought much about losing him to a HC job but now with several teams in the mix I’m concerned. Who could we replace him with?

I think Jerrod Johnson would be moved up unless Ryans has another guy in mind.
Yeah Jerrod Johnson is the obvious choice in this scenario. McDaniels a slight dark horse candidate, but would also possibly become Slowik's OC if he moves as well.

Won't really know about outside candidates unless he takes a HC job.

Shane Day and Bill Lazor dark horse candidates from within also. Shane Day especially as he has a history of coaching in this system too. Plus I hear him getting name dropped occasionally by coaches and players in interviews.

Yeah Jerrod Johnson is the obvious choice in this scenario. McDaniels a slight dark horse candidate, but would also possibly become Slowik's OC if he moves as well.

Shane Day and Bill Lazor dark horse candidates from within also. Shane Day especially as he has a history of coaching in this system too. Plus I hear him getting name dropped occasionally by coaches and players in interviews.
McDaniels as in Josh McDaniels? I don’t want him. I’d be okay with the other guys.

He's a better than competent play caller and if he can parlay that into a HC gig then I'm happy for him but I don't care if he leaves. What we have seen this year has been (I believe) A good offensive system with a great rookie QB being called by a competent play caller. I'm sure DeMeco can find a replacement for him on staff or out there in the wider coaching tree. Owners of losing teams become infatuated with assistant coaches all the time and the vast majority don't end up being able to replicate the magic they had before they advanced. It's because making that magic requires so many things to fall into place. A good GM who can find talent. A HC who can motivate players, recognize problems, and put everyone on the same page. A top 10 or so QB. This can vary depending on how good your GM and HC are at selecting assistants and finding talent but you have someone special under center or you need not apply for the postseason.

More of this was in place here than we really knew. That's how bad Bill O'Brien and Davis Mills were. Even then the Texans could reliably get to the bottom of the playoff brackets in round one just because Watson was a talented QB. Look at all the crap his talent alone covered up. Once he left Davis Mills couldn't do a damn thing with what was here.

In my eyes, on the playing field it's the HC and Stroud. Slow can be replaced. I wish him well but he's just putting together plays from a system he was trained in.

There was one play call that I absolutely hated. Down 7 the offense was having their best drive of the game and he got cute and called a reverse that went for -5 yards. But ultimately, we had absolutely no running game and C.J. didn't have a good game today.

I thought every time CJ got into a rhythm someone would jump offsides or Slow would call a run for no yards whatsoever or a reverse like you mentioned (something sorta cute) and kill it. I don't think a good day was out of the question from CJ. I just think that too much was going on around him to make one happen.

What? Just when I thought we were getting rid of Slowish, he's staying?

Next you'll be telling me Tunsil's getting another extension.

Klint Kubiak?

He's a better than competent play caller and if he can parlay that into a HC gig then I'm happy for him but I don't care if he leaves. What we have seen this year has been (I believe) A good offensive system with a great rookie QB being called by a competent play caller. I'm sure DeMeco can find a replacement for him on staff or out there in the wider coaching tree. Owners of losing teams become infatuated with assistant coaches all the time and the vast majority don't end up being able to replicate the magic they had before they advanced. It's because making that magic requires so many things to fall into place. A good GM who can find talent. A HC who can motivate players, recognize problems, and put everyone on the same page. A top 10 or so QB. This can vary depending on how good your GM and HC are at selecting assistants and finding talent but you have someone special under center or you need not apply for the postseason.

More of this was in place here than we really knew. That's how bad Bill O'Brien and Davis Mills were. Even then the Texans could reliably get to the bottom of the playoff brackets in round one just because Watson was a talented QB. Look at all the crap his talent alone covered up. Once he left Davis Mills couldn't do a damn thing with what was here.

In my eyes, on the playing field it's the HC and Stroud. Slow can be replaced. I wish him well but he's just putting together plays from a system he was trained in.
Disagree about Derrick and this has been proven out to be true. Overrated. Biggest problem with BOB the HC is he couldn't develop the players BOB the GM drafted.

Luckily Caserio has drafted 3 star level players and had guys like Harris/Greenard/Cashman developed into way above avg players.

BTW, I think Slowik will be successful if he goes to the Redskins/Chargers etc... Not so much if he goes to Carolina.

There was one play call that I absolutely hated. Down 7 the offense was having their best drive of the game and he got cute and called a reverse that went for -5 yards. But ultimately, we had absolutely no running game and C.J. didn't have a good game today.

In all fairness, if Fant can block safety Geno Stone then that play works. How often does an OT miss a block on a safety?

It was a good time for the call (if there ever is a good time for the fancy gadget stuff). Texans had to manufacture a running game, it wasn’t going to happen conventionally. But it was not executed well (Fant missed his assignment).

Busy day for Slowik. Reminds me of DeMeco week after he was hired here. How much work does a team expect out of a coach actively interviewing with other teams? Short timers are going to prioritize themselves.

DeMeco said in presser they would look at film tomorrow just like they do after every game. But Slowik is so short you can see his feet on his driver license.

Disagree about Derrick and this has been proven out to be true. Overrated. Biggest problem with BOB the HC is he couldn't develop the players BOB the GM drafted.

Luckily Caserio has drafted 3 star level players and had guys like Harris/Greenard/Cashman developed into way above avg players.

BTW, I think Slowik will be successful if he goes to the Redskins/Chargers etc... Not so much if he goes to Carolina.

I think sometimes your intense and unrelenting dislike of Watson has a tendency to skew your vision a bit but we’re all entitled to our opinions.

I think sometimes your intense and unrelenting dislike of Watson has a tendency to skew your vision a bit but we’re all entitled to our opinions.
Are you saying he's even been avg since he was traded?

If your answer is no, then that's the definition of overrated. No skewed vision here.

I have been worried about Slowik leaving for a while now, because he has shown he can develop a young QB and scheme WRs open. But I am wondering if a team actually bites. So far it has been one year and what would worry me is, that he doesn‘t seem to be the charismatic leader type. I know that not every HC is, but right now he seems like a great OC - I wouldn‘t be that sure, he will also make a great HC.

I believe very few people would succeed in Carolina.

IF anyone goes there and succeeds given the circumstances... Id say they are a coaching legend.

IF Slow does go there then he is either confident his legacy starts now or he is an idiot.

If your answer is no, then that's the definition of overrated. No skewed vision here.

I was going to try and argue this point because he had gone something like 8-4 during his two seasons in Cleveland, but then I went and looked at his game logs and it is clear that defense was putting in work because Watson wasn't.

I believe very few people would succeed in Carolina.

IF anyone goes there and succeeds given the circumstances... Id say they are a coaching legend.

IF Slow does go there then he is either confident his legacy starts now or he is an idiot.

That’s what they said about Houston. Now they are saying there aren’t many teams with a better situation for the next decade.

What a difference an owner’s wife and fan council make!

Slowick is not ready for a HC’ing gig, but if an owner wants to roll the dice on a rookie coordinator…..then it’s their money and prerogative.

Personally, if I were Slowick I’d stay for another season and improve the consistency/play calling for the offense. This should help in regards to the money offered b/c each and every season a coaching vacancy should open.

Yeah Slowik is a rookie OC but he’s been coaching in the NFL for ten years. Hes not really a rookie and everybody knows him.

He’s the son of a successful coach. He has experience coaching offense and defense. Even has experience on the analytics side with PFF. He is a fine candidate. I just hope he wants to take another year of seasoning in his current role like Ben Johnson chose last offseason with the Lions.

Except for that whole statistical best season and SB appearance..
Yeah regular season for one year maybe.. then they dumped him. Look at the regular season that year, then look at his playoff numbers and there is the difference. Johnson is actually getting him to elevate career years in the playoffs.. His game planning and play calling has been fantastic .

..and "best statistical year" doesn't matter much. Todd McVay had two good years (bad playoff performances with Goff) The two year run Johnson has had with him has been much more productive.. and it's not over with yet.

Last edited:

Lets look at the part of my post that you're addressing here.

hervoyel said:

You see I'm talking about the four years that Watson was our QB. I thought I made that clear but apparently I didn't. Going back to what made the Texans choose to select him 12th overall in the first round in 2017 we see this

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 7.41.30 PM.png

Was he overrated then? I don't see how anyone can say that. That's just college so we should move on to his professional career in Houston.

Screen Shot 2024-01-21 at 7.44.37 PM.png

Now absolutely the Browns got fleeced on the man who showed up (eventually) to play but those four years in Houston (OK three before that last stinker where the team went 4-12 and ALL the wheels fell off) Look like genuine franchise QB play to me. I imagine they look like franchise QB play to anyone not grinding an axe over Watson's many transgressions. Look, I'm no fan of the guy but the Texans took him in the first round because he was a great college QB. Cleveland traded for him because they thought the same thing. You sit a guy for year, have him miss a big chunk of the next year and then do it again and he's going to find a new level of suck. It's as simple as that. Also you put so much money in his bank account that he never has to work again and there's a good chance he just might choose not to.

The Texans sucked every year under O'Brien until the season was just about to go down the drain before Watson got here. Every year. That was some of the ugliest football I've ever witnessed. Then suddenly they would begin to perform better. Under the mixed bag of stooges he ran from Fitzpatrick to Savage it never got great but they would string just enough together to limp into a 9-7 "AFC Champions" finish and then go home soon enough. We all saw that year after year. The one thing Watson brought was an ability to improvise. He brought wheels that kept plays alive and kept defenses honest and it made the Texans look better than they were. I don't know how good the guy is (or was) at following a playbook but when the play fell apart he became more dangerous.

Now, am I saying he's even been average since he was traded? No, I'm not saying that. I didn't even mention him in Cleveland and wasn't talking about his play since, well since he actually "played" here. If you saw that in my answer it's because your mind put it there. Even if my answer was "no" however that isn't the definition of anything. That's just a QB who hasn't played much football in a while, who is constantly battling injuries because (I bet) he's probably not keeping up with his conditioning, and who probably isn't all that motivated to work hard anyway because he's too busy diving into his "Scrooge McDuck Money Vault".

So since you want to talk about it (I didn't even bring it up) Yes, steelbtexan DeShaun Watson is NOW one seriously overrated QB. For some reason the Cleveland Browns didn't see this. Probably because it was concealed under the small mountain of red flags that were blocking their view.

I'm sure glad they went for it though.

No, what Herv is saying, is that you’re harping on it too much.
I haven't talked about Derricks play since he got traded. At least that's what I remember, or if I did it was probably in relation to the draft picks.

Now many times I've brought up that he's a sexual predator, POS and I'm going to keep doing this because despite some wanting his actions to be swept under the rug, I want this POS actions to be kept out there for all to see in the court of public opinion.

I haven't talked about Derricks play since he got traded. At least that's what I remember, or if I did it was probably in relation to the draft picks.

Now many times I've brought up that he's a sexual predator, POS and I'm going to keep doing this because despite some wanting his actions to be swept under the rug, I want this POS actions to be kept out there for all to see in the court of public opinion.

The “court of public opinion”? Here? On the Texans forum? Dude, here you’re just preaching the same thing over and over to choir ad nauseum. Take it to another forum. PLEASE

I don't think Slowick is going anywhere. I don't believe he'll get a job offer

I think Slowick will go through the motions in the interviews, but I don’t think he wants to go anywhere else. He’s happy here developing CJ.

All you playcalling critics need to suck it up.

The “court of public opinion”? Here? On the Texans forum? Dude, here you’re just preaching the same thing over and over to choir ad nauseum. Take it to another forum. PLEASE
What am I preaching over and over

I haven't said anything about the pervert except that he's overrated as a player and a despicable human being. Deal with it.

Back