Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Seems to me you get more excited at the prospect of evaluating and drafting players than you do winning football games. You're practically drooling at the idea of trading Watson in hopes of getting some prospect. Unreal
Fair enough. I do enjoy evaluating college players and as you know for many years I researched, offered info and my input with mock drafts, long time before the current everyone here does a mock. There were maybe 3-4 of us back then. Before I joined the original Texans MB, I had television and two radios on clicking between channels concerning the draft. Prior to his death in 2002 I interacted frequently with noted evaluator Joel Buchsbaum for years on Houston station KTRH. Way before Charlie Pallilo came to Houston, I listened & interacted with Ralph Cooper KCOH and the old Codger Barry Warner even before he got sent to late night because he pissed off listeners. Sport radio 610 began in 1994 IIRC and I was an original listener with Mike Edmonds (who teamed with then[1980s] Houstonian Jim Nance) and Ed Fowler when they began in 1995.

Discharging from USMC in 1973 I joined the fans of Ball High, Galveston graduate Anita Martini calling her & Edmonds. Trivia: most was unaware that Mike lost both legs to diabetes & continued to appear at sporting events. I followed him when he reported on the Huntsville prison riot by Fred Gomes Carrasco and the Elmer Wayne Henley mass killings of 28 boys in Houston area.

Anita who died of brain cancer in 1993 and Mike knew my voice and said "folks get ready for some deep thinking by Steve in League City".

Enough with my 'credits' as I dislike that. I love evaluating football players and yes the draft as it happens between seasons & it can greatly impact my team Oilers and then since 2002 Texans. I can differentiate between the two even if you cannot. Yes when a player like Harden and Watson now or historically AJ and Hopkins becomes a possible trade scenario that IMO can benefit my team I like to discuss options. Others here do also.

*The disagreement you and I have on Watson is the future of Texans. You think he can go forward leading Texans to S.B. before his five year deal is up with roster, cap and draft/FA as it now appears.

I do not. I like Deshaun and JJ for that matter but if trading them makes this team a better roster to win not only one SB but perhaps more in next five seasons, I want to discuss it. In other words trading Watson, Watt and Tunsil and hopefully Mercilus and Brandin Cooks we win more games. You and I want wins we just go about it differently.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Fair enough. I do enjoy evaluating college players and as you know for many years I researched, offered info and my input with mock drafts, long time before the current everyone here does a mock. There were maybe 3-4 of us back then. Before I joined the original Texans MB, I had television and two radios on clicking between channels concerning the draft. Prior to his death in 2002 I interacted frequently with noted evaluator Joel Buchsbaum for years on Houston station KTRH. Way before Charlie Pallilo came to Houston, I listened & interacted with Ralph Cooper KCOH and the old Codger Barry Warner even before he got sent to late night because he pissed off listeners. Sport radio 610 began in 1994 IIRC and I was an original listener with Mike Edmonds (who teamed with then[1980s] Houstonian Jim Nance) and Ed Fowler when they began in 1995.

Discharging from USMC in 1973 I joined the fans of Ball High, Galveston graduate Anita Martini calling her & Edmonds. Trivia: most was unaware that Mike lost both legs to diabetes & continued to appear at sporting events. I followed him when he reported on the Huntsville prison riot by Fred Gomes Carrasco and the Elmer Wayne Henley mass killings of 28 boys in Houston area.

Anita who died of brain cancer in 1993 and Mike knew my voice and said "folks get ready for some deep thinking by Steve in League City".

Enough with my 'credits' as I dislike that. I love evaluating football players and yes the draft as it happens between seasons & it can greatly impact my team Oilers and then since 2002 Texans. I can differentiate between the two even if you cannot. Yes when a player like Harden and Watson now or historically AJ and Hopkins becomes a possible trade scenario that IMO can benefit my team I like to discuss options. Others here do also.

*The disagreement you and I have on Watson is the future of Texans. You think he can go forward leading Texans to S.B. before his five year deal is up with roster, cap and draft/FA as it now appears.

I do not. I like Deshaun and JJ for that matter but if trading them makes this team a better roster to win not only one SB but perhaps more in next five seasons, I want to discuss it. In other words trading Watson, Watt and Tunsil and hopefully Mercilus and Brandin Cooks we win more games. You and I want wins we just go about it differently.
I enjoyed reading your background. Thank you.

I just don’t agree with the notion that a slew of prospects who have an equally high chance of failing makes us better.

I’d rather spend energy discussing how to improve our current roster not tear it down.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Thoughts on this post trade scenario mock draft?

Zach Wilson with #3
Patrick Jones II with #18
I saw that offer sometime ago, Chris may be retweeting it or from someone else. I said no to that deal. You obviously mean Surtain at 18 which I would consider but many have him gone earlier.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I enjoyed reading your background. Thank you.

I just don’t agree with the notion that a slew of prospects who have an equally high chance of failing makes us better.

I’d rather spend energy discussing how to improve our current roster not tear it down.
and if I thought current roster has snowball chance I would also. Coaching should help but not enough to overcome OBrien until after 2023 imo. That's three wasted years of Dashaun at huge money even if he deserves it. I am not devaluing Watson in fact value him more highly than most here to get return value.

badboy

Hall of Fame
There's a lot of trade "wishcasting" going on right now by some folks that are just not fans of Watson. Which is fine, not everybody is going to like the current Texans quarterback regardless of his play. I still give the chances of trading Watson close to 0%.
that was said to me when I suggested trading Deandre Hopkins to then Oakland Raiders. I was booed and hissed. lol Then guessed what---he was traded. The only miss I made was not thinking the return for Nuk made me want to puke.

badboy

Hall of Fame
No, it isn't. There are plenty of opportunities for improvement. stop being Debbie downers.
then bring something realistically to the table supporting your position as I have by my keeping #4 and using the next two drafts as is. Steel has offered trading our two round fours and a 5th (IIRC) to get us another third and another suggestion of getting another round two in 2021. Quit gumming about plenty opportunities and offer some.

CPTTexan

Waterboy
True but his automobiles do the same
Actual data proves you wrong. Tesla's have about 1 fire for every 175 million miles driven. ICE vehicles have about 1 fire for every 19 million miles driven.

Sorry....it's now up to about 1 fire for every 205 million miles driven per Tesla with 2020 data included.....so effectively ~10x less chance to catch fire than an ICE vehicle.

But I'm sure since that's a Tesla report, with data from NFPA then it doesn't count, right?

Now back to the regularly scheduled Texans talk.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Agreed. One way is to trade DW4 & receive a plethora of picks.

Another way is to fix the cap, including future contracts at the appropriate time. We won't be the first team to win the Super Bowl with a QB on his 2nd contract.
sort of misleading no? Hasn't the beat to death assertation been the dollar amount of QBs winning the SB?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Actual data proves you wrong. Tesla's have about 1 fire for every 175 million miles driven. ICE vehicles have about 1 fire for every 19 million miles driven.

Sorry....it's now up to about 1 fire for every 205 million miles driven per Tesla with 2020 data included.....so effectively ~10x less chance to catch fire than an ICE vehicle.

But I'm sure since that's a Tesla report, with data from NFPA then it doesn't count, right?

Now back to the regularly scheduled Texans talk.
Your data supports what I said that his cars do explode/catch fire as do his rockets.We can continue in PM if you desire.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Again, a smart GM and organization would have their alternate plans in the book as I'm typing this post. They should sit with Watson and Watt and find out exactly where they stand. If they are flat out tired of the wreckless manner in which the McNair's have handled the organization, then their feelings probably go much deeper than just Easterby.

If Watson and Watt don't want to be with the organization any longer then those trade plans better be in place and let the phones start ringing.

If Watson and Watt want to be with the organization.....then the new FO better have their shite together as to how they plan on getting the cap under control before the 2022 off season begins, potential trades and cuts this coming off season, and lining up the draft and free agency on the cheap.

beat me to it.

Come on now...If Andre goes out of his way to tweet this then you better start paying attention.
[/QUOTE
based on ? Harden to Knicks? There's nothing out there since before Christmas on NY. Wishful thinking on your point I can understand.
Brooklyn is a part of NY is it not? I am sure he meant Brooklyn since a trade took place that sent Harden to the Nets.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
based on ? Harden to Knicks? There's nothing out there since before Christmas on NY. Wishful thinking on your point I can understand.

edit brooklin
I would only trade Watson for 2 1s and 2 2s. And it would have to be a low pick at least this year. I can wait to build a team here around him with no problem.

OptimisticTexan

I would only trade Watson for 2 1s and 2 2s. And it would have to be a low pick at least this year. I can wait to build a team here around him with no problem.
I could never knowingly trade the top 2020 NFL QB, who hasn't even hit his prime yet, for a deal equivalent to Tunsil's. Football folks would once again laugh this organization into the ground. Texans cannot trade Watson without NFL folks saying, WOW!!!! They gave up that for Watson? Then they follow that up with, "I hope Watson lives up to his trade value and becomes the missing piece".

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I could never knowingly trade the top 2020 NFL QB, who hasn't even hit his prime yet, for a deal equivalent to Tunsil's. Football folks would once again laugh this organization into the ground. Texans cannot trade Watson without NFL folks saying, WOW!!!! They gave up that for Watson? Then they follow that up with, "I hope Watson lives up to his trade value and becomes the missing piece".
Remember when BOB condescendingly told the media that there were good QBs on the roster and acted like Hoyer and Fitzpatrick or Mallet were being disrespected or underestimated? I voted to trade Watson. After he's gone, I just want to read all the posts telling me to not believe my lying eyes, that I'm watching good QB play or another good QB is right around the corner.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
then bring something realistically to the table supporting your position as I have by my keeping #4 and using the next two drafts as is. Steel has offered trading our two round fours and a 5th (IIRC) to get us another third and another suggestion of getting another round two in 2021. Quit gumming about plenty opportunities and offer some.
Lol fair enough. I've done my fair share of offseason breakdowns and my thoughts over the years. I have no problem doing it again.

The conversation on this board has worn me down and the conversation is less intellectual as it has been and more debating Watson. Add in the fact we have a terrible owner and front office and my enthusiasm and energy level have been nonexistent. The constant debating over Watson has made my posts less conversational and more roll your eyes and say something smart back. People don't discuss film breakdown or stats, they discuss their feelings and eyes instead. It's just frustrating.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
That was my question, what would Lynch/Kyle give up to get DW$?

Three 1sts and two 2nds since the 49ers picks wont be high picks after this yr?

Would you do this deal?
Nope. 3 1's 3 2's 2 3's and I don't want Garoppolo. He's solid (not spectacular) when healthy but I don't see fully healthy in his future and with a guy like him , he ain't gonna carry a team anywhere on his own , the system has to be flawless and the team around him very strong. That isn't likely here .... we can't execute a screen pass much less assemble a strong team.

Pretty sure that's the norm with any new space agency.
Who else owns a "space agency" ??? ..... outside of government run.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nope. 3 1's 3 2's 2 3's and I don't want Garoppolo. He's solid (not spectacular) when healthy but I don't see fully healthy in his future and with a guy like him , he ain't gonna carry a team anywhere on his own , the system has to be flawless and the team around him very strong. That isn't likely here .... we can't execute a screen pass much less assemble a strong team.

Who else owns a "space agency" ??? ..... outside of government run.
I never said anything about Jimmy G.

I don't think you're going to get more than the equivalent of 3' threes and a player or the other team taking on a bad contract. Maybe both

Maybe trade with the Redskins for the three 1's and Sweat/ Curl

badboy

Hall of Fame
Mollywhopper.
Okay thanks. I don't have PJ2 going till late in the third round if then but do understand his stats are enticing. I couldn't take a chance on him with round pick based on our needs.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The majority of us are talking about trading DeShaun only if he forces his way out.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I never said anything about Jimmy G.

I don't think you're going to get more than the equivalent of 3' threes and a player or the other team taking on a bad contract. Maybe both

Maybe trade with the Redskins for the three 1's and Sweat/ Curl
If I don't get the above asking price , I simply wouldn't trade him.

Even getting 3 1's 3 2's and 2 3's and dumping Mercilus salary , I'm still likely losing that trade , that's just how important the QB position is in this league.

There's probably 4-5 QB's I think are better right now than Watson but most of those are long in the tooth.
There's only 1 QB I'd rather have to build a team around for the next 3-5 years and that's Mahomes.

Watson & Mahomes will be 1 & 2 in the next year or two .... Brady , Brees , Rodgers will hang it up sooner than later Rodgers is the young'un of that group at 37 - then there's Wilson and he's 32.

Even with Watson's cap hit , I'd keep him if I couldn't get a Godfather deal.

#Corrosion Hates Watson!

badboy

Hall of Fame
Lol fair enough. I've done my fair share of offseason breakdowns and my thoughts over the years. I have no problem doing it again.

The conversation on this board has worn me down and the conversation is less intellectual as it has been and more debating Watson. Add in the fact we have a terrible owner and front office and my enthusiasm and energy level have been nonexistent. The constant debating over Watson has made my posts less conversational and more roll your eyes and say something smart back. People don't discuss film breakdown or stats, they discuss their feelings and eyes instead. It's just frustrating.
100 % agree. Many comments about O'Brien/ Watson / Hopkins I know from the post who the poster is without looking and skip right over it.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If I don't get the above asking price , I simply wouldn't trade him.

Even getting 3 1's 3 2's and 2 3's and dumping Mercilus salary , I'm still likely losing that trade , that's just how important the QB position is in this league.

There's probably 4-5 QB's I think are better right now than Watson but most of those are long in the tooth.
There's only 1 QB I'd rather have to build a team around for the next 3-5 years and that's Mahomes.

Watson & Mahomes will be 1 & 2 in the next year or two .... Brady , Brees , Rodgers will hang it up sooner than later Rodgers is the young'un of that group at 37 - then there's Wilson and he's 32.

Even with Watson's cap hit , I'd keep him if I couldn't get a Godfather deal.

#Corrosion Hates Watson!
barring a Godfather type deal, casserio being able to hit on correct picks and correcting the salary-cap which he should be able to do plus probably the most important what if, if we get good coaching to improve our current roster yeah I'm down with Watson also. If Watson wants to stay..
By Monday, this should be cleared up.

Texian

Hall of Fame
The more and more I read about Watson being disgruntled, the more and more I get the urge to see him traded. Anyone who has paid attention knows I love Watson the QB. I have defended him in numerous threads. I also think he is a bonafide top 5 QB in this league with massive potential to win it all with the right weapons.

That said, if he is truly hurt over his participation or lack thereof in the selection of a GM, then I cannot feel bad for him. If he think's the Houston franchise is insensitive where it pertains to social justice, I cannot agree with him.

If rumors are true and Miami is a likely trade partner, then I want to see it done.
Watson and Cunningham for 2021 1st (#3), 2021 2nd, 2022 1st and Tua'.

This teams needs draft choices and cap space. This trade alleviates those issues, and casts off a personnel issue.
What would you like to see happen?
Imagine if you feel this way, the bonafide Texans brain trust is even more adamant, angry and intolerant. They don't do insurrection. IT'S THE PATRIOT WAY! The Patriot Gestapo South is well underway, Cal is building that Wall around the Kirby compound. The culture change is happening now, that's why Gaine, Olson, Palcic and possibly Rootes are out the door. Watson is becoming a pain in their butt. For the reasons they traded Hopkins, the frustration of the situation and in exasperation THEY WILL TRADE WATSON. imho

Watson wants no part of the Texans so the Texans should tell the Jets a minimum of (4) 1st RD picks starts the conversation. Preferably the Jets 2 #1 s in 2021 and 2 #1s in 2022 or players to be named and a 2nd and 3rd for Zach Cunningham.

Last edited:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
if they really wanna stay the Patriots south might has well rehire Romero and keep kelly or hell hire josh McDaniels

Mr. White

Retired OLine Coach
if they really wanna stay the Patriots south might has well rehire Romero and keep kelly or hell hire josh McDaniels
That's exactly what I think is gonna happen except they hire Daboll. Since they haven't been fired yet, I think most of the O'Brien staff will probably stick around. Then they'll hire a HC and make him work with the current staff.

A lot like the way Cowboys hire head coaches but they don't let them hire their own staff. (I really hope I'm wrong.)

OptimisticTexan

Watson is going to stay put. He's paid to QB and lead the offense between the white lines. Caserio is the GM and it's his job to hire the HC that gives him and the organization the best chance to field a fine tuned football team. Once Caserio, the new HC, and Watson have sat down and discussed what the new offensive philosophy would be.....I believe Watson walks away from the meeting looking forward to the 2021 season.

OptimisticTexan

That's exactly what I think is gonna happen except they hire Daboll. Since they haven't been fired yet, I think most of the O'Brien staff will probably stick around. Then they'll hire a HC and make him work with the current staff.

A lot like the way Cowboys hire head coaches but they don't let them hire their own staff. (I really hope I'm wrong.)
I don't think Daboll takes the job if he has no say in his coaching staff. Based on Daboll's success at Alabama and the Bills, it is more than apparent that the Texans need Daboll far more than Daboll needs the Texans.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

Who did Tomlin bring with him to Pittsburgh?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Watson is going to stay put. He's paid to QB and lead the offense between the white lines. Caserio is the GM and it's his job to hire the HC that gives him and the organization the best chance to field a fine tuned football team. Once Caserio, the new HC, and Watson have sat down and discussed what the new offensive philosophy would be.....I believe Watson walks away from the meeting looking forward to the 2021 season.
He will sit I think before he plays. Unless he gets serious say about the HC. Unless he is traded. And he might be paid, but a team that will trade for him is going to take the contract or give him a bigger one. I still feel like he is a fool for not thinking that Caserio would be high on the GM list. Even if everyone was saying different names. They have been after the guy for about as long as Smith has been gone. Maybe even longer and they would have put Smith in a higher level position. It should have come as no surprise that Cal hired him. Watson should have seen the news and thought "well I wanted (insert name here) more... But Cal loves him so I will focus on helping with the HC."

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Not on that one.
Don't be so sure. Every team with a QB need (or wanting to try another one) is going to be calling. If he is really as unhappy as they are saying he is. You can say and think what you want. However, the FO very well might tell Nick to start taking the calls.