Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you want discussion that only you and certain people you choose can comment on that's called a private message. Threads are for all to comment and add input.
Since you brought it up you and Powda do have much in common being 2 of most controversial posters on MB. Neither of you can stand anyone disagreeing with you.
Go ahead. Have the last word.
Welcome to the Hater train, buckle up.

I believe I was the first poster to bring up Zach Wilson’s name. I had the Texans using one of their RD4 picks to get him. This was when he was projected in the mid rounds. Then his stock took off and has now moved him to his final resting spot....#2 QB in the draft.

Honestly, I liked him far more as a mid round prospect than a RD1-02 pick. This past C-19 season could go down as the season that actually inflated the value of many prospects. The jump Wilson’s stock took could have some team drafting the next Cutler versus Mahomes. I’d hate to spend a RD1-02 or 03 on what may turn out to be an inflated prospect. There would be teams that missed out on Watson who would absolutely be salivating for the #2 or #3 pick if the Texans possessed it and were willing to move back in the draft. That would be another little windfall in draft assets.

If the Texans and Caserio can build this team through the next 2 drafts while knocking the cap way down, they could then find themselves in same enviable position the Colts have been in for the past 2 seasons.
Which is another reason I don't really like the idea of the Texans trading Watson with the mindset of using the highest pick they acquire to draft a quarterback. In my own opinion, I feel like this is a pretty weak quarterback draft class.

Now if the Texans go into a 2021 draft suddenly finding themselves with a replenished stockpile of picks (meaning they have traded Watson), use those newly acquired picks to solidify the offensive line and start ticking off check boxes on the defensive side of the ball.

And then, guess where you're at? Searching for that ever elusive franchise quarterback. But at least you've attempted to rebuild the right way.

I know right now though, if the Texans did trade Watson to the Jets or Miami and used the #2 or #3 overall pick on Penei Sewell or a top defender, many Texans fans would be plenty upset.

Until I’m convinced that Caserio is actually in charge instead of the Pastor, which with the signing of Johnson, doesn’t look to be the case, I don’t believe there’s any possibility of a Brigham Young QB becoming a Texan.

Really, one signing you disagree with is all it takes for you to go back to the "Easterby is running the show" narrative that has never had any proof behind it?

Until I’m convinced that Caserio is actually in charge instead of the Pastor, which with the signing of Johnson, doesn’t look to be the case, I don’t believe there’s any possibility of a Brigham Young QB becoming a Texan.

Yeah , that's a headscratcher .... David was the worse of the two Johnson's , keeping him after releasing Duke made no sense to me , even with the reduced $$ in the contract.
There are probably a dozen RB's you could have gotten in as FA at half the cost of the restructure and gotten the same production.

Really, one signing you disagree with is all it takes for you to go back to the "Easterby is running the show" narrative that has never had any proof behind it?
Go back to that narrative? I haven't left it.

Yeah , that's a headscratcher .... David was the worse of the two Johnson's , keeping him after releasing Duke made no sense to me , even with the reduced $$ in the contract.
There are probably a dozen RB's you could have gotten in as FA at half the cost of the restructure and gotten the same production.

Same production or better.

Darnold didn't have the talent around him

Murray was actually having a better yr than DW4 when you take into account his rushing yds/TD's before he got injured. IMHO
Still doesn't explain Watson leading the league. Top 10 maybe. But you're not going to lead the league in passing just because you're playing from behind.

(I do understand Mahomes sat out week 17)

You don’t like any other QB? Obviously excluding Lawrence.

I like them....just not that early. Remember, the 2 highest paid NFL QB's at the moment were drafted 10 and 12 in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Mahomes went to a team that was prepared to help him succeed. Watson went to a team that had no idea as to how a winning team is built. Mahomes sat for 2017, AFCCG in 2018, SB Win 2019, and SB in 2020. Watson has spent 4 years running for his life while putting up better than expected stats....4-12 in 2017, WC in 2018, DPG in 2019, and 4-12 in 2020.

This go round....Texans need to build a team first. They can one of many available QB's to bridge the building process. Texans could set the table to grab a QB in the 2023 NFL Draft and if their process of building has been successful, there's a better chance that the QB they draft could enjoy immediate success versus the path Watson and so many other RD1 QB's were forced to take with bad teams.

Which is another reason I don't really like the idea of the Texans trading Watson with the mindset of using the highest pick they acquire to draft a quarterback. In my own opinion, I feel like this is a pretty weak quarterback draft class.

Now if the Texans go into a 2021 draft suddenly finding themselves with a replenished stockpile of picks (meaning they have traded Watson), use those newly acquired picks to solidify the offensive line and start ticking off check boxes on the defensive side of the ball.

And then, guess where you're at? Searching for that ever elusive franchise quarterback. But at least you've attempted to rebuild the right way.

I know right now though, if the Texans did trade Watson to the Jets or Miami and used the #2 or #3 overall pick on Penei Sewell or a top defender, many Texans fans would be plenty upset.

We're singing the same tune. I'd trade back for more picks. I wouldn't go any further back than say #8 where I should be able to obtain the services of OT- Darrisaw from VA Tech. I think he could be every bit as good as Sewell....only they'll have a couple of additional picks to work with. The Texans have gone to the well twice on RD1 QB's and failed miserably in both instances b/c they either; A) didn't have a ready built team just a QB1 away from being extremely special or B) didn't prioritize building a proper team around their RD1 QB investment.

It's time to try this from the foundation perspective first versus setting your new appliances on the dirt and getting excited.

I feel kinda the same way. I hope they feel a certain way about the player, & not just doing it because.

But, I do think we have a good coaching staff for a young QB.

I'd keep Tunsil, what you are getting back Watson and Cooks alone are worth. If Wilson is any good then you already have an answer at LT and if he's not you can trade Tunsil in a separate deal rather than giving him away in a Watson trade.
I’m not giving anyone away. Tunsil is swapped for Becton. I think Becton is better run blocker and on a rookie deal.

Coach Cully is good with whatever Kyle and Jack decide. He's just happy to be here.

lol :heh:

Culley seems like a really nice, genuine dude. But, he definitely gives off that "just happy to be here" vibe. He was one foot in retirement already, so he's just thankful for all that extra gravy. Building a "good character culture" is also enlightening work, especially when the pressure of winning is removed from expectations.

Okay, so maybe after Kelly, Culley and DJ, Cal is saying "this is the last time we tell you what to do, Nick". :confused:

I just really want to believe that Caserio is more in charge than anyone else in the building. Not because we have actual evidence of it, but more because I just don't think I can give any less of a crap (and still remain a fan) if they continue to run this team like the corporate boardroom Three Stooges.

:texflag: :stooges::texflag:

I think HOU could get 2-23-34 from NYJ and Darnold or Williams. Not both. Since both are huge contractual holes for them, they wouldn’t care.
The giving up players along with Watson is intriguing. I’ve never really given much to that.
I could see them swapping Tunsil
For Becton to appease a deal.

Also that deal for Bob Griffin was solely the desire of an idiot owner who would not listen to his staff or his HC, Mike Shanahan.
It was so stupid and ludicrous that Shanahan implored Schneider not only to not make that deal but that Shanahan already had a QB picked out who he believed was a franchise QB named Kirk Cousins that he would be able to get in the mid rounds.
And as many of you know, Shanahan still drafted Cousins in that draft. Pissing off his boss to no end.
That one idiotic trade set back an entire franchise and then the owner again set it back even further by not admitting to his mistake and at the very least keeping Cousins.
No other team was legitimately calling to move up and draft Bob. Just an idiot in Washington. Which seems to be the “Land Of Idiots” these days.
For some reason half my post isn’t there. I don’t want darnold. Give another two instead and I’ll take it.

On the Washington trade. I was looking for past trades for the number two pick. That was the first to come up. If we could even come close to that well that would put this rebuild on a fast track. According to most draft value charts the number two pick is worth 2600 points. Just say we move down to Carolinas spot. We still have 1200 points of value left. That could fill a lot of holes.

I’m not giving anyone away. Tunsil is swapped for Becton. I think Becton is better run blocker and on a rookie deal.

The rookie deal part is nice but the rest I don't agree with. Tunsil is now a two time pro bowler that knows the scheme, such as it is, and is the cornerstone of the line. Last year he allowed only two sacks and one of those was Miles Garret. Becton is a newly drafted rookie that may or may not be a bust. I think Tunsil will become a better run blocker with better coaching.

There's something else that bothers me about Becton. His last year he sat out and didn't play in his teams bowl game. So at a time when the team needed him most he rode the bench because he had just declared for the draft. Now I get protecting yourself but something about that doesn't sit well with me, maybe its the Watson thing I don't know but it rubs me the wrong way.

Interesting article:

Analytics explain why Texans need to reconcile with QB Deshaun Watson immediately

Watson is, without a doubt, the definition of a franchise quarterback. And those do not come along very often. Letting him sit the season out or, worse, trading him would, effectively, be ending Caserio’s career with the Texans before it even has a chance to start.

In fact, a deep dive into the advanced analytics showcases just how uniquely special Watson is.

Full article

You never wait. Ever. That’s a recipe for disaster and then your the one left in the corner saying, “I should have just drafted Mahomes. Dammit!!” Like SF. Like CHI.
And the other teams that needed a QB and passed.
Question.
Do you think Nick Caserio is wondering what his former boss Bill Belichick is feeling right now after he let his HOF QB walk to another team only to go and win another SB?
Yeah, I thought so. Caserio isn’t going to be the one without a chair when the music stops.

yeah i guess but maybe wilson , fields, and that other guy are straight busts maybe not who knows ...???? i guess thats why nick and his team is getting paied the big bucks lets see if he screws this up

I don’t think Caserio even picks up the phone if the team calling has (3) RD1, (1) RD2, and a top player as their finest offer.

The moment Caserio officially puts Watson on the market it will be due to Watson agreeing to waive his NTC so Caserio can find him a new home. Caserio, Watson, and his agent know that the only 2 teams with the draft assets, cap space, and available players to make a trade is NYJ and Miami whether the NTC is in place or not.

By opening the Watson bidding to the NFL....teams that desire Watson could in fact help drive the Texans return up. It could get another bump when it boils down to the Jets and Dolphins.

I think the top offer could easily hit (4) RD1, (1) RD2, and (2) players or (1) player and another RD2 in the 2022 or 2023 NFL Draft(s).

I feel, if there was one thing Caserio took away from working with Belichick.....how to be a shrewd negotiator. Watson isn’t leaving Kirby unless he returns a rebuild bounty in picks.

Yup maybe the panthers will give us (4) 1st rounders + sprinkles i would jump on that

apperantly the owner is ALL IN on watson and is ready to make big moves

No , the Texans wont be paying 5-6m per , they have already "paid" it. The "Cap hit" was spread over 5 seasons (last year and 4 more).

IF they trade him , the outstanding balance ($21.6m) hits the cap instantly. It will all be on the 2021 cap.

If they don't trade him and he sits after a certain period they recoup the bonus. I don’t know how it works but I heard it on the radio. The issue with waiting (and if he is kept and sits) is teams who want him will locate another QB. And others will see him as a problem and steer clear or offer less incase they have to get rid of him. Fact is that he is basically making himself a victim. In doing so, it makes him look like a locker room problem not a leader. If I am a GM I like the talent but wonder what issues he could cause now or in the future. I heard a podcast say that they would give him (speaking as another team) a 1st, 2nd and 3rd with an option for another 1st based on honoring the deal he signs. Plus a young good talent. That way they don't give away too much and he causes issues. One of the picks would be next year, perhaps another too. So something like

1st 2021
2nd and 3rd 2022
Young player
Conditional pick 1st or 2nd round in 2022 or 2023 depending on his behavior.

Not sure if the Texans would go for that.

No I have heard Watson talked to someone about the Jets and decided he was not going there. It was on a radio show so no idea how factual it is. But, if the team said that it sounds like they have a good idea he isn't going to come there.
Nobody knows anything that would come out to say anything right now.
No team wants to be in a bidding war, so it's always prudent to play things down.

Look at the J J Watt's deal.
Most people never saw it coming.

Still doesn't explain Watson leading the league. Top 10 maybe. But you're not going to lead the league in passing just because you're playing from behind.

(I do understand Mahomes sat out week 17)

Obviously you think of DW4 one way and I think of him another.

He should be part of a full house cleaning.

I'm ready for this team to be torn down to the ground and be rebiluit correctly. Which they haven't been since their inception. IMHO.

Only if you think your QB is in this draft. Otherwise you take the best offer if you have to trade. It may take a few years longer but you do what is best for the team long term. Take a GM's view, not a HC's view
Of course. If there’s no QB you believe is an elite franchise QB, you have no choice but to do that.
So, the question now, is there an elite franchise QB if HOU had the #2 pick?

Obviously you think of DW4 one way and I think of him another.

He should be part of a full house cleaning.

I'm ready for this team to be torn down to the ground and be rebiluit correctly. Which they haven't been since their inception. IMHO.
There just a few studs away, so I can’t see why Caserio wouldn’t be heading that way.
If he does this right, he can parlay Watson into a rebuild in 2 years.

If they don't trade him and he sits after a certain period they recoup the bonus. I don’t know how it works but I heard it on the radio. The issue with waiting (and if he is kept and sits) is teams who want him will locate another QB. And others will see him as a problem and steer clear or offer less incase they have to get rid of him. Fact is that he is basically making himself a victim. In doing so, it makes him look like a locker room problem not a leader. If I am a GM I like the talent but wonder what issues he could cause now or in the future. I heard a podcast say that they would give him (speaking as another team) a 1st, 2nd and 3rd with an option for another 1st based on honoring the deal he signs. Plus a young good talent. That way they don't give away too much and he causes issues. One of the picks would be next year, perhaps another too. So something like

1st 2021
2nd and 3rd 2022
Young player
Conditional pick 1st or 2nd round in 2022 or 2023 depending on his behavior.

Not sure if the Texans would go for that.
Jay Cutler all over again. It’s why Caserio can call his bluff.
He knows he can’t sit so he has to drop his NTC and go where they send him.

There just a few studs away, so I can’t see why Caserio wouldn’t be heading that way.
If he does this right, he can parlay Watson into a rebuild in 2 years.

I'm thinking if Caserio gets the cap right and hits on the draft picks after DW4 is traded it will be more like 3/4 yrs.

I like them....just not that early. Remember, the 2 highest paid NFL QB's at the moment were drafted 10 and 12 in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Mahomes went to a team that was prepared to help him succeed. Watson went to a team that had no idea as to how a winning team is built. Mahomes sat for 2017, AFCCG in 2018, SB Win 2019, and SB in 2020. Watson has spent 4 years running for his life while putting up better than expected stats....4-12 in 2017, WC in 2018, DPG in 2019, and 4-12 in 2020.

This go round....Texans need to build a team first. They can one of many available QB's to bridge the building process. Texans could set the table to grab a QB in the 2023 NFL Draft and if their process of building has been successful, there's a better chance that the QB they draft could enjoy immediate success versus the path Watson and so many other RD1 QB's were forced to take with bad teams.
Sorry, man. We just disagree. You never pass on an elite franchise QB. I believe Zack Wilson checks all the boxes.
It’s all good. Now that I know your opinion of him, i understand your takes.

Passing yds = Jameuis Winston.

I hope everybody sees the irony in this.

I really don’t know how you could honestly say Deshaun is not only a top 2, but not a good QB. Yes, led the league in yards with the 10th most attempts. #1 overall completion percentage, #1 completion percentage in the league, 3rd in interceptions, what am I missing here? What more could you POSSIBLY ask for out of a quarterback?

I really don’t know how you could honestly say Deshaun is not only a top 2, but not a good QB. Yes, led the league in yards with the 10th most attempts. #1 overall completion percentage, #1 completion percentage in the league, 3rd in interceptions, what am I missing here? What more could you POSSIBLY ask for out of a quarterback?

I never said he wasn't a good QB.

I said he wasn't an elite QB

Not in the Brady
Mahomes
Rodgers

League

Jay Cutler all over again. It’s why Caserio can call his bluff.
He knows he can’t sit so he has to drop his NTC and go where they send him.

That's just it. I don't think Watson cares. He 100% doesn't care what the Texans get for him as long as he is traded. Question is if he is smart enough to know that teams who he may want to play for might not be interested after the draft. He should know it, but you never know. I think they are waiting for the draft to try to really get some extra value. He should say he will play for any team that made the playoffs last season. That opens up the odds of getting a good return for him. I just don't know if a team with say the first 10 picks is appealing to him

That's just it. I don't think Watson cares. He 100% doesn't care what the Texans get for him as long as he is traded. Question is if he is smart enough to know that teams who he may want to play for might not be interested after the draft. He should know it, but you never know. I think they are waiting for the draft to try to really get some extra value. He should say he will play for any team that made the playoffs last season. That opens up the odds of getting a good return for him. I just don't know if a team with say the first 10 picks is appealing to him

And thats when you say "suit up or get ready to pay fines." because there is no way you would ever get even close to value for him with any of those teams. I keep saying it but all 1st round picks are not created equal.

Don't these 'leaks' just feels like the Watson camp is behind them because he's too timid and/or afraid to tarnish his brand by standing up and speaking for himself?

Maybe he'll grace us with another cryptic tweet to help us stay mystified.
Until Watson comes out and say otherwise, I take that nothing has changed.

Back