Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should we trade Watson?

Should we trade Watson?

• Yes, without a doubt.

• Yes, depending on compensation (please list your trade scenario).

• No, never.

• No, unless he plays hardball and sits.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He's desperate, he almost begs and pleads daily. A passionate Jets fan, he is. He wants Watson traded to the Jets yesterday.
I hope he gets his wish, simply because it would give the Texans the #2 pick and send Watson to a team that could be very similar to the Texans with regards to ownership and lots and lots of holes on the roster.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
When has he come out and said anything since whining to be released through his various proxies? :um:

He will ultimately get his wish, one way or another. Then his name can become a verb in H-town.
Did J J Watt come out and tell the fans that he wishes to be released?

banned1976

sleeper mode
Now that public opinion has swung so savagely against Watson on this here board, I wonder how many of the 51 "no, not ever" voters would vote that way today? For myself, my opinion hasn't change. I voted no, not ever and I still feel that way.

I also wonder how many of the fans that feel jaded by Watson watched his tearful press conference after he signed the big contract extension? TBH, I don't watch those things. I read about it on this board and I'm not going to lie, if someone handed me 67 million dollars, I'd cry too. And I'd sing praises of all the people in the vicinity of that big fat check. It would look like this...

Max

Veteran
Probably nothing new here (I'm linking an old article), but I thought this guy nailed it as far as what's going on.

O’Brien believed the culture was holding the Texans back. Not the cornerback talent. Not the lack of a true pass rusher outside of J.J. Watt. Not the coverage problems at linebacker. Not his forever crappy offensive system. No, those things weren’t the problem. The problem was the culture. Sitting out of practice. Baby mamas. Nose rings and dyed hair. Those were the real issues.
So BOB brought in Easterby to help with that culture and this is when stupid things started happening to focus more on TEAM culture and Cal ate it up. Cal watched Belichick sit star players and ship out talent for peanuts when talent didn't buy in and to him, that was the formula so let's bring in everything NE to make that happen. IMO, most of us, including Watson hoped that the light bulb went on for Cal when he fired BOB and thought that maybe he'd ditch this culture fetish in favor of coaching and player talent. But Cal doubled down on that formula when he kept Easterby and brought in more NE culture w/ NC. It wasn't until NC was hired that Watson knew for sure that things weren't going to change. This is why I don't fault Watson for demanding a trade so soon after signing his new contract. There was hope when he signed it. But Cal doesn't get it and he never will.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
He told the bosses.
Thus supporting my original point that seems to have caused your white knighting on behalf of Watson:

Don't these 'leaks' just feels like the Watson camp is behind them because he's too timid and/or afraid to tarnish his brand by standing up and speaking for himself?

Maybe he'll grace us with another cryptic tweet to help us stay mystified.

Did J J Watt come out and tell the fans that he wishes to be released?
He said publicly in November 2020 that he does not want to play for a rebuild. He doesn't have many years left. It's not hard to comprehend what he was saying with that statement.

Probably nothing new here (I'm linking an old article), but I thought this guy nailed it as far as what's going on.

So BOB brought in Easterby to help with that culture and this is when stupid things started happening to focus more on TEAM culture and Cal ate it up. Cal watched Belichick sit star players and ship out talent for peanuts when talent didn't buy in and to him, that was the formula so let's bring in everything NE to make that happen. IMO, most of us, including Watson hoped that the light bulb went on for Cal when he fired BOB and thought that maybe he'd ditch this culture fetish in favor of coaching and player talent. But Cal doubled down on that formula when he kept Easterby and brought in more NE culture w/ NC. It wasn't until NC was hired that Watson knew for sure that things weren't going to change. This is why I don't fault Watson for demanding a trade so soon after signing his new contract. There was hope when he signed it. But Cal doesn't get it and he never will.

It's the naive and gullible, in-over-his-head aspect of Cal McNair that cements my perspective that he will never be qualified to run an NFL franchise. He gets pushed around by dudes like O'Brien and gets manipulated by someone like Easterby.

He's an educated beta-male fool.

Max

Veteran
It's the naive and gullible, in-over-his-head aspect of Cal McNair that cements my perspective that he will never be qualified to run an NFL franchise. He gets pushed around by dudes like O'Brien and gets manipulated by someone like Easterby.

Agreed. He started off life on 3rd base and decided to surround himself with people that tell him that he hit a triple. I genuinely don't think that he gets it.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
If you want discussion that only you and certain people you choose can comment on that's called a private message. Threads are for all to comment and add input.
Since you brought it up you and Powda do have much in common being 2 of most controversial posters on MB. Neither of you can stand anyone disagreeing with you.
Go ahead. Have the last word.

Thanks for the scouting report on me. I suppose if I have the same opinion as a few dozen other posters I probably don't post something. If I'm in small company on a topic I'm more likely to post an opinion. Is that controversial? My post history is there for all to see so you can find me agreeing and disagreeing with others as you like but I expect that doesn't fit your narrative?

Whatever.

In other news, why do I have this ridiculous feeling the Texans won't trade Watson till the last minute and our scouts will be caught off guard by it? "We were instructed not to scout qbs by management so we didn't."

April 5 OTAS will say a lot.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Good assessment.
IMO the crap show started with the power battle between O’Brien and Smith. When Kubiak was fired , Rick finally had some stroke in the matter. They hired this supposedly hot commodity in Bill O’Brien, who was said to be a quarterback guru and leader of men. During that time the free agent quarterback pool wasn’t great, therefore O’Brien wanted Fitzpatrick and I believe Hoyer. Damage goods Carr was still here as well. O’Brien handle the quarterback position terribly with all this benching them after bad games. He continued that beautiful class act once he brought Mallet over here. Promised that dude he would be the starter. But turned it into a competition. It was reported that ole Rick and O’Brien wasn’t seeing eye to eye. O’Brien would basically complain about the talent, by saying he only plays the guys that were given to him. You can tell Rick and the late McNair we’re getting tired of the quarterback circus show. After going 0-4 Bob told them jokers, they better get their crap together. That off- season he wanted quarterback so him and Rick went after Brock. The crap show got worse lol. I could go on and one but in conclusion the crap show was in full effect way before O’Brien got here.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
He said publicly in November 2020 that he does not want to play for a rebuild. He doesn't have many years left. It's not hard to comprehend what he was saying with that statement.

It's your assumption then, isn't it?

First off, it just happens that he was speaking during a press conference.

The press conference wasn't for him to announce anything.

If anything, he was sending out mixed signals that nobody was sure of.

I was thinking maybe he wanted a guaranteed contract when he said something needs to happen, one way or another.

There was nothing definitive from what he said.

But again, most importantly, the press conference was not set up for that purpose.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Good assessment.
IMO the crap show started with the power battle between O’Brien and Smith. When Kubiak was fired , Rick finally had some stroke in the matter. They hired this supposedly hot commodity in Bill O’Brien, who was said to be a quarterback guru and leader of men. During that time the free agent quarterback pool wasn’t great, therefore O’Brien wanted Fitzpatrick and I believe Hoyer. Damage goods Carr was still here as well. O’Brien handle the quarterback position terribly with all this benching them after bad games. He continued that beautiful class act once he brought Mallet over here. Promised that dude he would be the starter. But turned it into a competition. It was reported that ole Rick and O’Brien wasn’t seeing eye to eye. O’Brien would basically complain about the talent, by saying he only plays the guys that were given to him. You can tell Rick and the late McNair we’re getting tired of the quarterback circus show. After going 0-4 Bob told them jokers, they better get their crap together. That off- season he wanted quarterback so him and Rick went after Brock. The crap show got worse lol. I could go on and one but in conclusion the crap show was in full effect way before O’Brien got here.
Some here have voiced that Watson loved coach O'Brien. I don't agree with that. I think DeShaun said what he needed to say about his boss.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

There was never hope with a guy like DW4 and his character, people just didn't want to admit it. When times got tough DW4 did what losers do, he cut and ran. After 51-7 Cal should've made DW$ play out that 5th yr option. I will be so glad when the trash will finally be taken out and the rebuild begins.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Good assessment.
Yep RS drafted exactly 1 QB before the 6th rd in 12 yrs here.

Deshaun Watson

Word is Kubiak asked RS to draft a QB but was told no by RS. If RS would do this to the man responsible for getting RS his job, how do you think RS would respond to BOB asking RS to get him a QB? What I find hilarious was this in a way gave RS job security then he drafts DW4 and now he cant get another GM job to save his life. LMAO you cant make this stuff up.

Max

Veteran
There was never hope with a guy like DW4 and his character, people just didn't want to admit it. When times gottough DW4 did what losers do, he cut and ran. After 51-7 Cal should've made DW$ play out that 5th yr option. I will be so glad when the trash will finally be taken out and the rebuild begins.
Out of curiosity, did you feel Lebron was a loser when he cut and ran from Cleveland? Lebron lost fans in Cleveland but it certainly didn't hurt him overall and these guys saw that and are following suit. I wouldn't conduct myself that way personally but I don't see it as Watson being a loser as much as being a product of his environment. I'm fairly ambivalent about it myself but I get it -- I'm not going to try to convince anyone that they shouldn't be pissed if they're a Texans fan.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Out of curiosity, did you feel Lebron was a loser when he cut and ran from Cleveland? Lebron lost fans in Cleveland but it certainly didn't hurt him overall and these guys saw that and are following suit. I wouldn't conduct myself that way personally but I don't see it as Watson being a loser as much as being a product of his environment. I'm fairly ambivalent about it myself but I get it -- I'm not going to try to convince anyone that they shouldn't be pissed if they're a Texans fan.
The NBa and NFL are totally different.

BTW, I did away with my NBA season pass this yr.

Max

Veteran
The NBa and NFL are totally different.

BTW, I did away with my NBA season pass this yr.
Forcing your will on a team is the same in both leagues, it's just harder to do in the NFL. And the question of whether or not that makes you a loser is the same no matter if it's the NBA, NFL or any other league. I think that it's a generational thing and guys these days are just doing what they've seen other superstars do. I personally wouldn't go as far as saying that makes him a loser but I understand where you're coming from if you see it different.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Deshaun Watson

Word is Kubiak asked RS to draft a QB but was told no by RS. If RS would do this to the man responsible for getting RS his job, how do you think RS would respond to BOB asking RS to get him a QB? What I find hilarious was this in a way gave RS job security then he drafts DW4 and now he cant get another GM job to save his life. LMAO you cant make this stuff up.
Huh

Texansballer74

The Marine

Deshaun Watson

Wrong

Earl34

Hall of Fame
What's wrong about that post?

I know for a fact Kubiak asked RS to get him a QB.
We had this same discussion 2-3 weeks ago. My question to you was based on who was available and where they were drafting, name the QBs that were available for RS to draft. I even posted the list of QBs that were drafted during that period that were busts, average and not even on the team that drafted them. We need new material.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We had this same discussion 2-3 weeks ago. My question to you was based on who was available and where they were drafting, name the QBs that were available for RS to draft. I even posted the list of QBs that were drafted during that period that were busts, average and not even on the team that drafted them. We need new material.
1st rd busts.

BTW, If Kubiak suggests a QB for you to draft, (Doesn't have to be in the 1st rd) you should listen. Particularly if Kubiak helped you get your job in the 1st place.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
1st rd busts.

BTW, If Kubiak suggests a QB for you to draft, (Doesn't have to be in the 1st rd) you should listen. Particularly if Kubiak helped you get your job in the 1st place.
I'll play. Who was available in the later rounds that would have made a serviceable starter? That you would pick for Kubiak? Here is the list of QBs drafted.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not trying to badger you and I'm not saying RS was a great GM. It's just that if this is going to be posted, then what were the alternatives? How did Ricky screw up?

Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman
Pat White (44), Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter
Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
Jimmy Clausen (48), Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton, Rusty Smith, Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike, Levi Brown, Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson
Cam Newton*, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
Andy Dalton (35), Colin Kaepernick* (36), Ryan Mallett (74), Ricky Stanzi, T.J. Yates, Nathan Enderle, Tyrod Taylor, Greg McElroy
Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler (57), Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, B.J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish
E.J. Manuel
Geno Smith (39), Mike Glennon (73), Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Brad Sorensen, Zac Dysert, B.J. Daniels, Sean Renfree

The 93 quarterbacks drafted since 2009 besides Russell Wilson, the only one of them to start and win a Super Bowl - Field Gulls

Last edited:

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Really doesn’t matter where they were drafting or who was available where. For the most part, Case Keenum was the better than all of them save Wilson.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'll play. Who was available in the later rounds that would have made a serviceable starter? That you would pick for Kubiak? Here is the list of QBs drafted.

EDIT: By the way, I'm not trying to badger you and I'm not saying RS was a great GM. It's just that if this is going to be posted, then what were the alternatives? How did Ricky screw up?

Matthew Stafford, Mark Sanchez, Josh Freeman
Pat White (44), Stephen McGee, Rhett Bomar, Nate Davis, Tom Brandstater, Mike Teel, Keith Null, Curtis Painter
Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
Jimmy Clausen (48), Colt McCoy, Mike Kafka, John Skelton, Jonathan Crompton, Rusty Smith, Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike, Levi Brown, Sean Canfield, Zac Robinson
Cam Newton*, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder
Andy Dalton (35), Colin Kaepernick* (36), Ryan Mallett (74), Ricky Stanzi, T.J. Yates, Nathan Enderle, Tyrod Taylor, Greg McElroy
Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, Ryan Tannehill, Brandon Weeden
Brock Osweiler (57), Wilson, Nick Foles, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, B.J. Coleman, Chandler Harnish
E.J. Manuel
Geno Smith (39), Mike Glennon (73), Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, Landry Jones, Brad Sorensen, Zac Dysert, B.J. Daniels, Sean Renfree

The 93 quarterbacks drafted since 2009 besides Russell Wilson, the only one of them to start and win a Super Bowl - Field Gulls
I wouldn't have made the pick.

I would have let Kubiak make the pick of his choice.