Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should Mills be given the reins next season?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
I've been incredibly bad at judging QBs in the history of the Texans, so it makes me nervous to say this.
I'm all in on Davis Mills as a franchise QB. The kid is very cool and level headed out there.
He made some beautiful passes today.
He looks the part to me.

I don't necessarily like Tim Kelly, but for the sake of consistency and Mills' development it's imperative that Kelly return next season.
Doesn’t matter Michael, Kelly needs to go!

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I’d like to trade Watson to Denver & pick up Drew Lock as 2nd round compensation
I think Mills is better than Lock. I watched Lock against KC yesterday and he didn't look very good - 12/24 for162 yards, 0 TD, 0 int.
After Mills performance against Titans in the 17th game, he definitely earned the right to be considered the starting QB in 2022 training camp but I want him pushed by a veteran.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Mills feels the pressure after being hit a few times and his mechanics go to hell. He threw off his back foot to much and the results weren't good when he did it.

I think we have to draft an ol in the 1st round and a rb fairly early.

Keep him clean and give him a legit running game and he'll continue to get better.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Agreed. I think he's earned his shot at starting next year for no other reason we don't need to be taking a QB with a high round pick because Mills will do for next season, and there are no QBs worth taking with our 1st pick in 2022 anyway. This team is in too desperate need of good linemen on either side of the ball before we need to be using a high pick on a QB.
Right on.
You haven't smoked enough to impair your judgement yet.;)

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I think Mills is better than Lock. I watched Lock against KC yesterday and he didn't look very good -
I agree. But Lock would push him. Maybe, with “better” coaching. He could make a good back up with upside. He’s very talented. Just needs to get smarter.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Mills feels the pressure after being hit a few times and his mechanics go to hell. He threw off his back foot to much and the results weren't good when he did it.

I think we have to draft an ol in the 1st round and a rb fairly early.

Keep him clean and give him a legit running game and he'll continue to get better.
Yeah the pressure gets to him but then again, it does for most QB's.
Still, I like his calm demeanor and, he still came back against them.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I don't think Caserio's dumb. I'm looking forward to seeing how he improves the team this off-season.

I'm betting that he will be a better GM than his previous successors.

The bar has been set really low.
Whats the bet? What are the parameters? If I remember correctly, you said afc championship game in 3 yrs correct?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Whats the bet? What are the parameters? If I remember correctly, you said afc championship game in 3 yrs correct?
I never said that.

They will be a playoff team on the rise in 3 yrs. Hopefully they do even better than that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's what coaches are for. The vet in the wr room is Cooks. The vet in the rb room should be Burkhead. Danny is injury prone and old. Why waste a roster spot on that again when you can draft younger, more dynamic wrs.
Obviously I value veteran leadership more than you do.

I like vets showing the young guys the ropes. Troy Brown to Edelman to Meyers.

Amendola to drafted rookie.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Obviously I value veteran leadership more than you do.

I like vets showing the young guys the ropes. Troy Brown to Edelman to Meyers.

Amendola to drafted rookie.
Cooks can play every wr position and you have position coaches. It was Welker to Edelman not Brown. You know as well as I do that the great QB's coach the wrs as much as the coaches.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Give Caserio a couple of full drafts and I will expect the Texans to be in the playoffs. That's reasonable IMHO.

Your expectations?
You stated before in another post the playoffs in 3 yrs then conf champ game. Isn't that correct. 7 teams make the playoffs now, so what's the next step? Making the playoffs is nothing according to you from past posts.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cooks can play every wr position and you have position coaches. It was Welker to Edelman not Brown. You know as well as I do that the great QB's coach the wrs as much as the coaches.
Brown to Welker to Edelman to Meyers.

Looks like a pretty good way to do business to me. Caserio in addition to fixing the OL needs to find a RB either in FA/draft or both. (Do you have a problem with re-signing Burkhead to the RB room? Guy can still play (Not full time) and will be a leader in the RB room.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You stated before in another post the playoffs in 3 yrs then conf champ game. Isn't that correct. 7 teams make the playoffs now, so what's the next step? Making the playoffs is nothing according to you from past posts.
I dont remember making that post. Look it up and if you can find it, then I was wrong. Reasonably it's going to take a couple of full drafts and hitting on them to become a playoff team. IMHO

Hopefully I've made this clear now.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Brown to Welker to Edelman to Meyers.

Looks like a pretty good way to do business to me. Caserio in addition to fixing the OL needs to find a RB either in FA/draft or both. (Do you have a problem with re-signing Burkhead to the RB room? Guy can still play (Not full time) and will be a leader in the RB room.
No problem with Burkhead. I have a problem with Burkhead and Johnson, both are not needed.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Part of my concern with Caserio and this bridge team and bridge coach is the exact thing dealing with the qb and team building. For instance, there may not be alot of coaches fired,but there may be a few that can improve your offense like Lovie improved the defense. An example, Minnesota. If that staff if fired, why wouldn't you go get those offensive components, most notable Lil Kubes and some of those other guys? We know they know how to put together a run game and develop wrs. I mean Thielen nor Diggs (pre trade) were highly drafted. Even Cooks backup came in and was running for 100+ yards.

I've noticed alot of mocks have them taking Neal, another overrated Bama O-Line, but I think its the scheme and the rb talent.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
An example, Minnesota. If that staff if fired, why wouldn't you go get those offensive components, most notable Lil Kubes and some of those other guys? We know they know how to put together a run game and develop wrs.
I’m definitely not against this, but there are no guarantees. Remember how much trouble Kubiak had installing the ZBS here?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I’m definitely not against this, but there are no guarantees. Remember how much trouble Kubiak had installing the ZBS here?
Didn't have alot of trouble unless I missed something. I mean they had a rookie run for 1200 yds. They also almost had 2 thousand yard backs in same backfield. Not to mention their oline didn’t have alot of high picks or high paid players either.

Mangler

Toro de España
Where was Mills in the first half. He was terrible. He improved enough in his second starting stint to be a bridge starting QB in 2022 so I commend him on improving and working hard, but this notion that he is THE no doubt about it long term guy is laughable.
If his comeback on the second half didn’t impress you, nothing will. Mills literally put the team on his shoulders and made some Watson-ish off schedule plays.

0-21 at halftime.
25-28 final score.

I hope they can get him a good running back, a weapon at WR, along with a couple of good offensive linemen! The kid at least deserves a shot at being the guy. Not to mention the super cheap contract for the next three years. Caserio will be able to build the team he envisions, and he’ll be able to spend on some free agents.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Part of my concern with Caserio and this bridge team and bridge coach is the exact thing dealing with the qb and team building. For instance, there may not be alot of coaches fired,but there may be a few that can improve your offense like Lovie improved the defense. An example, Minnesota. If that staff if fired, why wouldn't you go get those offensive components, most notable Lil Kubes and some of those other guys? We know they know how to put together a run game and develop wrs. I mean Thielen nor Diggs (pre trade) were highly drafted. Even Cooks backup came in and was running for 100+ yards.

I've noticed alot of mocks have them taking Neal, another overrated Bama O-Line, but I think its the scheme and the rb talent.
What kind of relationship do Caserio et al have with them? Neal is going #1 in lots of recent mocks...not mine

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Didn't have alot of trouble unless I missed something. I mean they had a rookie run for 1200 yds. They also almost had 2 thousand yard backs in same backfield. Not to mention their oline didn’t have alot of high picks or high paid players either.
Who? Foster had 257 yards as a rookie
That Oline was taught by Alex Gibbs... they added his top pick to get good. First couple years the running game sucked

Number19

Hall of Fame
That's what coaches are for. The vet in the wr room is Cooks. The vet in the rb room should be Burkhead. Danny is injury prone and old. Why waste a roster spot on that again when you can draft younger, more dynamic wrs.
As long as he can have games like against the Titans, and as long as he wants to take the beating, age shouldn't be an issue. He and Mills seem to have good chemistry. He's a good tutor and influence on younger players This last season he was signed and started playing without the benefit of getting his body into playing shape. If he wants to resign, he'll have the benefit of the training room and training camp to prepare for the season. His positives outweighs his lone negative.

Number19

Hall of Fame

The Texans hopefully will consider all options to tweak our coaching staff.

Dejaview

All Pro
I can no longer get Texans games where I live so I’m stuck to reading transcripts, etc. After Sunday’s game Mills again reiterated that he is more successful in an up tempo game like I guess the Titans game was. I wonder if his struggles on the road are perhaps because TK calls a more conservative game plan in an attempt to limit DM’s errors in a hostile environment? If so that has to change.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
As long as he can have games like against the Titans, and as long as he wants to take the beating, age shouldn't be an issue. He and Mills seem to have good chemistry. He's a good tutor and influence on younger players This last season he was signed and started playing without the benefit of getting his body into playing shape. If he wants to resign, he'll have the benefit of the training room and training camp to prepare for the season. His positives outweighs his lone negative.
Yep I really wonder what some posters vision for this team looks like and how much they value leadership in the locker room? Obviously at his age Amendola can't give you a full 16 games as a starting slot wr. But he can give you 8-10 games of quality wr play and be a mentor for the young slot wr's. For the vet min or slightly above that there's value in that.

Dejaview

All Pro
Yep I really wonder what some posters vision for this team looks like and how much they value leadership in the locker room? Obviously at his age Amendola can't give you a full 16 games as a starting slot wr. But he can give you 8-10 games of quality wr play and be a mentor for the young slot wr's. For the vet min or slightly above that there's value in that.
Danny only needs to play in the red zone. He can make a living there.