Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should Mills be given the reins next season?

Qb competition should be like any other competition. Look at Matt Flynn vs Wilson. Dudes in that locker room look at you sideways if a guy is outperforming another guy and dude keep his job. Mills hasn't done enough in my opinion.
Do you think Zach Wilson should start for the Jets?

Pickett seems to be a more physically skilled Mills.
I would say the same, maybe an edge to Mills. Though Pickett looks better on off schedule plays. Mills is actually a year younger than Pickett.

No way do the Texans take a QB in the top 5. The value is not there. If the Texans are able to trade Watson by draft day and have a couple of extra picks? Maybe. But, I don't have any conviction that the guys in this draft are locks to be better than Mills.

My opinion mirrors those that have Mills the #1 in 2022. Give him an entire year as the team continues to develop. Re-evaluate in the 2023 offseason.

Qb competition should be like any other competition. Look at Matt Flynn vs Wilson. Dudes in that locker room look at you sideways if a guy is outperforming another guy and dude keep his job. Mills hasn't done enough in my opinion.

So what would you consider to be enough vs whatever random, one year guy we bring in? Also say that random one year guy is made the starter how does that help us? Unless you think we are like Tampa Bay and are literally a QB away from winning it all.

As far as the locker room goes this is a team of rookies, has been and never was, their opinion on who does and does not deserve a job means little to me and I would guess the Texans as none of them have “done enough” to deserve to keep their jobs.

The only problem with this is in your scenerio Davis is more like Wilson.. 3rd round rookie who beats out 1st year vet off season signing..

Mills will be going into his second year with the team, after they watched him on and off the field for a entire year.. He isn't Matt Flynn.

Last edited:
. I think Mills has earned the right to compete for the job. I think if the team is still just trying to kick the can down the road until they're ready to hire the coach they want as well as draft the qb they want, then bring in rehab projects and compete with Mills. I've stated before, if it's an open competition a guy like Gardner Minshew would push Mills as hard as possible and probably beat him out to hold the spot for the next yrs drafted qb. This team isn't winning more than 5 or 6 games until they get the qb anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Different era. This has nothing to do with Fields or Watson. I've been a Roethlisberger fan as well as Rodgers fan since they came into the NFL. Their physical traits are as different from Watson traits as anyone. I think Mills has earned the right to compete for the job. I think if the team is still just trying to kick the can down the road until they're ready to hire the coach they want as well as draft the qb they want, then bring in rehab projects and compete with Mills. I've stated before, if it's an open competition a guy like Gardner Minshew would push Mills as hard as possible and probably beat him out to hold the spot for the next yrs drafted qb. This team isn't winning more than 5 or 6 games until they get the qb anyway.
I think you might be mistaken. If we can improve the OLine enough to give us a decent running game, I think we'll actually be pushing for 7 or 8 wins depending on our schedule. I think Mills will improve with a full offseason as the starter. With an improved OLine, and an improved defense, we might even be pushing for a playoff spot next season.

The think about DM that doesn’t get anywhere enough attention is where he has come from this season. The guy had only played in 14 games since high school. From what he has stated he was injured in his senior year in HS and again in his first year at Stanford. That’s gotta be an almost unprecedented level of experience for a rookie NFL QB. Just the fact the kid stepped into this hotbox with his coolness impresses me. And he showed progress. The time off when TT briefly returned obviously allowed him to let things assimilate. He grew, didn’t regress. By all accounts he loves the game and wants to be in football ”the rest of his life”. Hearing his comments I get the impression that he is very analytical, he’s a real student of the game and of strengthening his body. I see him coming back after the offseason knowing his playbook in his sleep. Let him compete next year in TC but my money is on him.

I would say the same, maybe an edge to Mills. Though Pickett looks better on off schedule plays. Mills is actually a year younger than Pickett.

No way do the Texans take a QB in the top 5. The value is not there. If the Texans are able to trade Watson by draft day and have a couple of extra picks? Maybe. But, I don't have any conviction that the guys in this draft are locks to be better than Mills.

My opinion mirrors those that have Mills the #1 in 2022. Give him an entire year as the team continues to develop. Re-evaluate in the 2023 offseason.
Totally agree.
The fact that Caserio spent his best pick on Mills last year speaks volumes especially when there were still a few nice picks available. Add that he has improved each game then it makes sense that he must be a priority to continue evaluating and developing and to do what you must to give the guy (and the team!) the best chance to succeed.

Last edited:
I think you might be mistaken. If we can improve the OLine enough to give us a decent running game, I think we'll actually be pushing for 7 or 8 wins depending on our schedule. I think Mills will improve with a full offseason as the starter. With an improved OLine, and an improved defense, we might even be pushing for a playoff spot next season.
I was thinking about that the other day.
It would take a nice uptick in the running game and if Mills responds, which is highly likely after seeing the last game, then Texans will be a thorn in this divisions side again.
To be a real threat to win the division again, will likely take a couple of seasons of adding more talent to both sides of the ball.
By that time Derek Henry will likely be a shadow of his former self and Titans will fall back into mediocrity. Jags, well they are in a worse spot than us. Colts will be the main threat - they seem to have a better all round organization than Texans.

The 49ers are ranked 11th in the defensive rankings. So let’s see how Mills will perform. I remember a few members would be extra critical whenever a certain player didn’t perform well against really good defenses. Now will these same people be extra critical if Mills doesn’t play well against good defenses.

The 49ers are ranked 11th in the defensive rankings. So let’s see how Mills will perform. I remember a few members would be extra critical whenever a certain player didn’t perform well against really good defenses. Now will these same people be extra critical if Mills doesn’t play well against good defenses.

He’s on the road facing a DeMeco coached defense that is really talented. I don’t expect him to light them up.

I do not see Pickett as a more physically skilled Mills.
Mills has a bigger arm and can move too.
And I like Pickett. But this time of year, the hype train goes into full effect for these college QBs and they are vastly overblown.

. I think Mills has earned the right to compete for the job. I think if the team is still just trying to kick the can down the road until they're ready to hire the coach they want as well as draft the qb they want, then bring in rehab projects and compete with Mills. I've stated before, if it's an open competition a guy like Gardner Minshew would push Mills as hard as possible and probably beat him out to hold the spot for the next yrs drafted qb. This team isn't winning more than 5 or 6 games until they get the qb anyway.
This is what I was thinking but didn't want to go in depth on a vet QB. I think some people think that the only possible competition would be from a old vet (9+ years), but it could be from a younger vet like Minshew, Darnold, Lock etc...no one knows who's available at this time of year.

I do not see Pickett as a more physically skilled Mills.
Mills has a bigger arm and can move too.
And I like Pickett. But this time of year, the hype train goes into full effect for these college QBs and they are vastly overblown.
There's going to be legit 1st round QBs in this class. Maybe not top 10 prospects, but legit first rounders nonetheless.

We can't be hating on them just because Caserio drafted Mills in the 3rd last year.

Hopefully that won't even have to be a question that needs answering.

There's going to be legit 1st round QBs in this class. Maybe not top 10 prospects, but legit first rounders nonetheless.

We can't be hating on them just because Caserio drafted Mills in the 3rd last year.
I’m not saying there won’t be QBs drafted in the 1st.
But to me, Pickett is not a better prospect than Mills.
Pickett has simply played more college games so there’s more tape on him. That has its goods but also has its bads.
Again, As I said, I like Pickett.

Different era. This has nothing to do with Fields or Watson. I've been a Roethlisberger fan as well as Rodgers fan since they came into the NFL. Their physical traits are as different from Watson traits as anyone. I think Mills has earned the right to compete for the job. I think if the team is still just trying to kick the can down the road until they're ready to hire the coach they want as well as draft the qb they want, then bring in rehab projects and compete with Mills. I've stated before, if it's an open competition a guy like Gardner Minshew would push Mills as hard as possible and probably beat him out to hold the spot for the next yrs drafted qb. This team isn't winning more than 5 or 6 games until they get the qb anyway.

Garfenn

Not in that certain players rookie yr.

Especially since the certain player had started for 3 yrs and won a NC you rightfully would think right now Mills with his combined 25 (College/Pro) starts would be farther behind that certain player in development than he is.

If Mills hasn't grown by yr 3 against top defenses you will start to see me become more critical and ask if Mills is the guy to bring a Lombardi to Kirby. But hat's a ways down the road. This is the beginning of the rebuild not the end.

But if you want to go there 4 wins is 4 wins.

How was your conviction with guys in last year’s draft? Nobody knows anything. Not even the pros.
I liked Lawrence and Fields, because they had all the tools and had played in plenty of big games against top competition. Goes to show how important coaching is for young QBs. The coaching Lawrence and Fields received has been atrocious. Wilson's QB coach dying in a bicycle accident in the offseason was devastating to his development. Whereas, Pep Hamilton had a proven track record as a NFL QB coach. You can see Mills improvement of the course of the preseason through the regular season. I thought Mills was actually overcoached early on.

QB evaluation is the most difficult task in the NFL. What will happen if the 49'ers or Titans blow up the O-line for four quarters and Mills has no time to throw? We'll be back here hyping our favorite college QB's again. That's why I think the decision on Mills is entirely dependent on Caserio's incentives. Caserio can never know with 100% certainty if Mills is the guy, but he has too much to gain by anointing him now and moving on.

He’s on the road facing a DeMeco coached defense that is really talented. I don’t expect him to light them up.

Yep, The 49ers defense will have to carry them with Lance starting. The 49ers need to win these last 2 games to make the playoffs and I expect them to win. However the weakness in the 49ers defense is their secondary and particularly their CB's. The Texans wont be able to drive the ball down the field, but there will be plays there to be made.

Last edited:
Hopefully that won't even have to be a question that needs answering.

I’m just saying I hope they give the same exact energy. I do not want to hear or read the excuses of him being a rookie that was drafted in the 3rd round. He’s the starting quarterback of the Houston Texans. Therefore he should be graded as a starting NFL quarterback. The majority on this board has agreed that he has earned the starting spot next season.

I’m just saying I hope they give the same exact energy. I do not want to hear or read the excuses of him being a rookie that was drafted in the 3rd round. He’s the starting quarterback of the Houston Texans. Therefore he should be graded as a starting NFL quarterback. The majority on this board has agreed that he has earned the starting spot next season.

He will be judged by me towards the end of next yr and by the middle of his 3rd yr to see his progression as more talent is put around him I expect growth.

I didn't start judging Derrick until about the 3rd or 4th game of his 3rd yr. I will do the same with Mills. I hope to see growth.

There should be open competition next offseason for every position on the team, including the quarterback position. At the same time, I don't foresee the Texans being big players in any top-rated free agents. Here's the list of FA quarterbacks for 2022:

Big Ben
Fitzpatrick
Dalton
Foles
Cam
Bridgewater
Taylor
Brissett
Mariota
Flacco
Trubisky
Tim Boyle
Gabbert
Henne
Brandon Allen
Glennon
Geno Smith
Chase Daniel

I liked Lawrence and Fields, because they had all the tools and had played in plenty of big games against top competition. Goes to show how important coaching is for young QBs. The coaching Lawrence and Fields received has been atrocious. Wilson's QB coach dying in a bicycle accident in the offseason was devastating to his development. Whereas, Pep Hamilton had a proven track record as a NFL QB coach. You can see Mills improvement of the course of the preseason through the regular season. I thought Mills was actually overcoached early on.
Exactly. Coaching still matters at the NFL level. There are things an OC does that can help or hinder a young QB. I used to have a problem with BoB or any coach complaining about not trusting young players or not wanting to play young players. It's your job to get them ready.

Don't get me wrong. The player has to be receptive to coaching and have to be a professional. However, coaching also plays a part in getting young QBs ready while maximizing what they do well and minimizing what they are struggling to learn.

He will be judged by me towards the end of next yr and by the middle of his 3rd yr to see his progression as more talent is put around him I expect growth.

I didn't start judging Derrick until about the 3rd or 4th game of his 3rd yr. I will do the same with Mills. I hope to see growth.
You have mentioned your Watson timeline on multiple occasions. However, do you realize by Watson's 3rd or 4th game of his 3rd year, he only started 25 games? That's not even two full season (32 games) before you were out on him.

Using that same logic, Mills will start 11 games this year. Are you saying you will start judging Mills by week 14 of next season? I'm trying to figure out if 25 games is the threshold or standard that you hold all young QBs to.

For reference purposes. After starting 32 games:
  1. Peyton Manning: 52 TDs, 43 INTs and a 16-16 record
  2. Drew Brees: 28 TDs, 31 INTs and a 10-17 record
  3. Roethlisberger: 34 TDs, 20 INTs and a 22-3 record
  4. Tom Brady: 46 TDs, 26 INTs and a 20-10 record

Last edited:
You have mentioned your Watson timeline on multiple occasions. However, you realized by Watson's 3rd or 4th game of his 3rd year, he only started 25 games. That's not even two full season (32 games).

Using that same logic, Mills will start 11 games this year. Are you saying you will start judging Mills by week 14 of next season? I'm trying to figure out if 25 games is the threshold or standard that you hold all young QBs to.

For reference purposes. After starting 32 games:
  1. Peyton Manning: 52 TDs, 43 INTs and a 16-16 record
  2. Drew Brees: 28 TDs, 31 INTs and a 10-17 record
  3. Roethlisberger: 34 TDs, 20 INTs and a 22-3 record
  4. Tom Brady: 46 TDs, 26 INTs and a 20-10 record
  5. Derrick:

Somewhere around 32 NFL starts. That's when I will start to get a better feel for what Mills will become.

Right now Mills should be way behind where Derrick was, because Derrick started 3 yrs in college. As opposed to Mills who only started 14 games in college. I'm actually surprised that Mills has played as well as he has this yr.

Like I said fix the OL/run game and lets see what he can do.

Coaching and management. I'm not a huge Goff fan, but he looked like a different qb once McVeigh came in.

This is what I was thinking but didn't want to go in depth on a vet QB. I think some people think that the only possible competition would be from a old vet (9+ years), but it could be from a younger vet like Minshew, Darnold, Lock etc...no one knows who's available at this time of year.
In a honest competition, Minshew probably wins this job. I mean, he's performed well in his limited opportunities with a limited roster. Thats why I state guys can pop early. Its no knock on Mills, I just don't see the upside people see. He has what 8tds and 8ints? Its not like he's throwing 15 yrd out routes or making 50 yd scrambles. He looks average talent wise. If the team is trying to improve without spending money, an open qb competition helps too. If Minshew comes in a beats out Mills and the team wins 6 games, but is in position to draft a higher talent qb, then Minshew can walk and Mills can be the backup for 2 more years.

There should be open competition next offseason for every position on the team, including the quarterback position. At the same time, I don't foresee the Texans being big players in any top-rated free agents. Here's the list of FA quarterbacks for 2022:

Big Ben
Fitzpatrick
Dalton
Foles
Cam
Bridgewater
Taylor
Brissett
Mariota
Flacco
Trubisky
Tim Boyle
Gabbert
Henne
Brandon Allen
Glennon
Geno Smith
Chase Daniel

And honestly the only one I MIGHT consider taking over Mills right now is Big Ben and he’s not going to be available because either Steelers won’t be ready to pull the trigger or he’ll try and pull a Brady and go to a ready made championship team. At this stage of his career he wants no part of a rebuild.

Rest of those yahoos I honestly can’t say are better than Mills. Though I would see if Dalton can be gotten cheap, good vet for teaching and he’s from Katy.

In a honest competition, Minshew probably wins this job. I mean, he's performed well in his limited opportunities with a limited roster. Thats why I state guys can pop early. Its no knock on Mills, I just don't see the upside people see. He has what 8tds and 8ints? Its not like he's throwing 15 yrd out routes or making 50 yd scrambles. He looks average talent wise. If the team is trying to improve without spending money, an open qb competition helps too. If Minshew comes in a beats out Mills and the team wins 6 games, but is in position to draft a higher talent qb, then Minshew can walk and Mills can be the backup for 2 more years.

Putting aside the fact Minshew isn’t available unless we trade with Philly which would be really really stupid. In your scenario we waste time and money, and possible draft picks if we have to trade, to bring in Minshew to win 2 more games and have a season of 6-11? How on God’s green Earth does that possibly help us?

Your obsession with bringing in Minshew is really confusing. Guy looks like a character in a Ben Stiller movie and plays like one to.

Putting aside the fact Minshew isn’t available unless we trade with Philly which would be really really stupid. In your scenario we waste time and money, and possible draft picks if we have to trade, to bring in Minshew to win 2 more games and have a season of 6-11? How on God’s green Earth does that possibly help us?

Your obsession with bringing in Minshew is really confusing. Guy looks like a character in a Ben Stiller movie and plays like one to.

508889591-63472-ben-stiller-dodgeball-gif-kzOY.jpeg

Somewhere around 32 NFL starts. That's when I will start to get a better feel for what Mills will become.

Right now Mills should be way behind where Derrick was, because Derrick started 3 yrs in college. As opposed to Mills who only started 14 games in college. I'm actually surprised that Mills has played as well as he has this yr.

Like I said fix the OL/run game and lets see what he can do.

Exactly ! We have got to have a legit running games before we can know just how close or, far away Mills is .... I know one thing .... I'd give TK's fortune, to have his mind .... hell, I'd settle for his focus ! I try to listen to the sports talk shows when Wade Smith is on .... always hoping he'll address the offensive line. He finally did this past week. He was talking about how well the team played. He said the obvious .... "game is definitely slowing down for Mills .... but how often is sexy Rexsy going to rush for 150 yds ? We've got to establish a running attack .... the soundest move we could make is acquiring a powerful interior blocking group. We tend to gravitate toward tackles, which is normal, but we've got to bite the bullet and draft the very best interior possible .... he finished his statement with, "there is no one close to that on our team now or any time in the recent past" ! Yay, he finally took a stand ! I love to study big ole athletic tackles .... but he is right ... CHARGE !!

Exactly ! We have got to have a legit running games before we can know just how close or, far away Mills is .... I know one thing .... I'd give TK's fortune, to have his mind .... hell, I'd settle for his focus ! I try to listen to the sports talk shows when Wade Smith is on .... always hoping he'll address the offensive line. He finally did this past week. He was talking about how well the team played. He said the obvious .... "game is definitely slowing down for Mills .... but how often is sexy Rexsy going to rush for 150 yds ? We've got to establish a running attack .... the soundest move we could make is acquiring a powerful interior blocking group. We tend to gravitate toward tackles, which is normal, but we've got to bite the bullet and draft the very best interior possible .... he finished his statement with, "there is no one close to that on our team now or any time in the recent past" ! Yay, he finally took a stand ! I love to study big ole athletic tackles .... but he is right ... CHARGE !!
This is what I've been saying. Glad to hear Wade is saying the same. My early wish list has the Texans taking LG Kenyan Green with our top pick and RG Darian Kinnard with their 2nd round selection. I'd also target a C in the 3rd or 4th.

If they get Tunsil back, Heck while not the greatest is a serviceable RT as is Howard, let them fight it out for the RT position and depth is something this team has never had in the last half decade. This is a good thing. Draft a couple of big young stud OG's early and bring back Britt. The OL should look alot better and we should get a better idea of who Mills is.

Back