Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Should Mills be given the reins next season?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
If they get Tunsil back, Heck while not the greatest is a serviceable RT as is Howard, let them fight it out for the RT position and depth is something this team has never had in the last half decade. This is a good thing. Draft a couple of big young stud OG's early and bring back Britt. The OL should look alot better and we should get a better idea of who Mills is.

I think we oughta trade Tunsil, (too expensive when you are rebuilding), - maybe a 1st and a 2nd, Green and Icky Ewonu, and the best center on the board - they could open some big ole holes !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If they get Tunsil back, Heck while not the greatest is a serviceable RT as is Howard, let them fight it out for the RT position and depth is something this team has never had in the last half decade. This is a good thing. Draft a couple of big young stud OG's early and bring back Britt. The OL should look alot better and we should get a better idea of who Mills is.
Marcus Cannon is under contract through 2022. We save &6M if they cut him with no dead money. Do you think Caserio is done with him?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think we oughta trade Tunsil, (too expensive when you are rebuilding), - maybe a 1st and a 2nd, Green and Icky Ewonu, and the best center on the board - they could open some big ole holes !
Keep the All Pro and build the rest of the OL out. Then if you want to trade him trade him in the 2023 offseason. I want to get a chance to see what Mills is and having an all pro LT next season gives us the best chance to find out what a well protected Mills can do. Do you think that the guys you listed can protect Mills blindside as rookies as well as Tunsil has?

Miami used your theory and the left side of their OL is a mess.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Marcus Cannon is under contract through 2022. We save &6M if they cut him with no dead money. Do you think Caserio is done with him?
Hopefully, that's a pretty big savings.

You can find a really good player on the market for that kind of money. I will bet for that 6 mil and another 3 mil by cutting some more of the 1 yr deals you could add DeEanest Johnson and either O.J. Howard or James Washington in FA.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Hopefully, that's a pretty big savings.

You can find a really good player on the market for that kind of money. I will bet for that 6 mil and another 3 mil by cutting some more of the 1 yr deals you could add DeEanest Johnson and either O.J. Howard or James Washington in FA.
So you’re ok cutting the RT & rolling the dice on Mills’ protection to save $6M

but adamantly against saving $18M & picking up extra draft picks to do the same on the leftside

$6M + $18M = $24M

I don’t have a preference. Just trying to understand your logic.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Keep the All Pro and build the rest of the OL out. Then if you want to trade him trade him in the 2023 offseason. I want to get a chance to see what Mills is and having an all pro LT next season gives us the best chance to find out what a well protected Mills can do. Do you think that the guys you listed can protect Mills blindside as rookies as well as Tunsil has?

Miami used your theory and the left side of their OL is a mess.

They keep saying how good their 1st round pick of two years ago looks since they put him back at left tackle ! I was screaming "don't make a knee jerk move .... but they were too fast on the trigger. I have to admit that I've pulled for Max awfully hard since they drafted him, but, apparently he doesn't have the athleticism to stay there .... it's not smarts ! Bottom line is, I trust Casserio's team building skills far more than anyone since Kubiak !

Number19

Hall of Fame
How well has Britt played? He's currently playing under a one year contract. What kind of contract should he be offered to resign. He'll be 31 next year.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
We traded for Tunsil for a reason. The need to protect our QB and it doesn't matter who he is protecting as long as he does his job. So let's keep the all pro for 2022 and build around him to get this team moving down field. Hopefully we can get something for Watson to make this a serious draft rebuild.

It's true .... it doesn't matter who is at QB, your right. I'm not sure Dwight Howard is better that Geron Christian !

Mangler

Toro de España
I would say the same, maybe an edge to Mills. Though Pickett looks better on off schedule plays. Mills is actually a year younger than Pickett.

No way do the Texans take a QB in the top 5. The value is not there. If the Texans are able to trade Watson by draft day and have a couple of extra picks? Maybe. But, I don't have any conviction that the guys in this draft are locks to be better than Mills.

My opinion mirrors those that have Mills the #1 in 2022. Give him an entire year as the team continues to develop. Re-evaluate in the 2023 offseason.
I agree. Especially while having him on a cheap contract for the next two to three years.
Exactly ! We have got to have a legit running games before we can know just how close or, far away Mills is .... I know one thing .... I'd give TK's fortune, to have his mind .... hell, I'd settle for his focus ! I try to listen to the sports talk shows when Wade Smith is on .... always hoping he'll address the offensive line. He finally did this past week. He was talking about how well the team played. He said the obvious .... "game is definitely slowing down for Mills .... but how often is sexy Rexsy going to rush for 150 yds ? We've got to establish a running attack .... the soundest move we could make is acquiring a powerful interior blocking group. We tend to gravitate toward tackles, which is normal, but we've got to bite the bullet and draft the very best interior possible .... he finished his statement with, "there is no one close to that on our team now or any time in the recent past" ! Yay, he finally took a stand ! I love to study big ole athletic tackles .... but he is right ... CHARGE !!
Couldn’t agree more! Let’s go get us some guards, corners and pass rushers! Once that’s set, we can make a run at a couple of good linebackers, and running backs! The offensive line must come first!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So you’re ok cutting the RT & rolling the dice on Mills’ protection to save $6M

but adamantly against saving $18M & picking up extra draft picks to do the same on the leftside

$6M + $18M = $24M

I don’t have a preference. Just trying to understand your logic.
One player is a journeyman

The other is an all pro.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Britt wasn't in the lineup last week. And the Texans had their best rushing performance of the year. My wish is to stop signing injury prone 30 something JAGs.
Last week they were playing againstan injury ravaged DL.

Gonna have to have a couple of stop gap positions as the rebuild begins.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Go with Morrissey and a draft pick. No need to waste development time and cap space on a 30 something JAG with brittle knees.
I think Morrissey could develop into a Greg Mancz solid interior depth type of guy. I want Linderbaum if the team picks in the 6-10 range. Set and forget at center next decade!

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
We traded for Tunsil for a reason. The need to protect our QB and it doesn't matter who he is protecting as long as he does his job. So let's keep the all pro for 2022 and build around him to get this team moving down field. Hopefully we can get something for Watson to make this a serious draft rebuild.
If that reason is a desperation move by OB causing them to not only overpay (arguably) in draft capital, but then severely overpay in salary, then yeah, that’s the reason.

And if you want to make the argument that you needed him to protect Watson, I’m fine with that. But the Texans don’t have that anymore and Tunsil will soon need an extension and that ain’t gonna be cheap. I really think they’d be better off getting some assets for him in this LT starved league, that will help them in the rebuild.

I think the fact that Tunsil has not returned to play is the writing on the wall that he’s played his last Texans game.

Oh, and just to clarify, Tunsil is not an All Pro. 2 Pro Bowls but no All Pro.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
If that reason is a desperation move by OB causing them to not only overpay (arguably) in draft capital, but then severely overpay in salary, then yeah, that’s the reason.

And if you want to make the argument that you needed him to protect Watson, I’m fine with that. But the Texans don’t have that anymore and Tunsil will soon need an extension and that ain’t gonna be cheap. I really think they’d be better off getting some assets for him in this LT starved league, that will help them in the rebuild.

I think the fact that Tunsil has not returned to play is the writing on the wall that he’s played his last Texans game.

Let's trade away a pro bowl LT with 2 yrs left on his del on a team that struggles to protect it's QB. (Brilliance)

Why? To save money because after his deal is up and he's 30 yrs old and if he's playing at a high level you're going to have to pay him for another 3 yrs at which time he will be 33 and still probably have 2-3 more good yrs left. (More brilliance)

Still a top player at his position.
Yes he is for his pass protection. If you're going to go the Patriots way, you get rid of him for assets while his value is high. This team has had how many wins with Tunsil on the field? I'd like to know why he isn't out there now...

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes he is for his pass protection. If you're going to go the Patriots way, you get rid of him for assets while his value is high. This team has had how many wins with Tunsil on the field? I'd like to know why he isn't out there now...
Do you want to see how Mills operates behind the best OL possible? If so then you keep Tunsil and build the OL around him. Your question is a question better answered by CnD.

Look at the Dolphins as a cautionary tale. They traded Tunsil and look at where their OL is today. You want to take that risk? Not me, provided he wants to be here. If he doesn't want to be here then I'm on board with trading him. Provided that Caserio gets atleast a 1st and a 2nd in this yrs draft.

I bet if Tunsil was drafted like by the Texans like DB was, that you would want to hold onto Tunsil given his age and production.

I'm good if Caserio trades Tunsil or keeps him. If he keeps him then I hope he trades Tunsil to the NYG for pick #5 and pick #37.

Neal at 3 and Hamilton at 5 would be a great start to the draft. Then you could add more premium talent at 2-35/2-37.

Last edited:
Do you want to see how Mills operates behind the best OL possible? If so then you keep Tunsil and build the OL around him. Your question is a question better answered by CnD.

Look at the Dolphins as a cautionary tale. They traded Tunsil and look at where their OL is today. You want to take that risk? Not me, provided he wants to be here. If he doesn't want to be here then I'm on board with trading him. Provided that Caserio gets atleast a 1st and a 2nd in this yrs draft.

I bet if Tunsil was drafted like by the Texans like DB was, that you would want to hold onto Tunsil given his age and production.

I'm good if Caserio trades Tunsil or keeps him. If he keeps him then I hope he trades Tunsil to the NYG for pick #5 and pick #37.

Neal at 3 and Hamilton at 5 would be a great start to the draft. Then you could add more premium talent at 2-35/2-37.
I get your point but we just disagree...if I look at the performance of the Dolphins OL over the past 2 years it looks just like the Texans.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I get your point but we just disagree...if I look at the performance of the Dolphins OL over the past 2 years it looks just like the Texans.
Disagreeing is a good thing. The reason the OL is so bad is that 1st/2nd rd picks were invested in busty players. Howard/Scharping are the real last part of Devlin screwing up this franchise. Gotta cut bait and start over.

Are we disagreeing because you think Caserio can draft a pro bowl level player to start next yr at LT. Or you just dont want to pay Tunsil? Because if it's the latter they have plenty of cap room once they cut some of the 1 yr guys. For instance cutting Cannon will save you 6 mil on the cap next yr.

You should compare how the Dolphins OL looked with Tunsil vs without Tunsil. Not how the Texans vs Dolphins OL looked with vs without Tunsil. The Dolphins OL looked alot like the Texans OL today and really all season.

Brisco_County

Apples and roadmaps
Tunsil has been placed in bubblewrap and stored in the attic. He's being traded.

This got me thinking about draft capital. I think the plan is to rely on their extra 2023 1st rounder from the Watson trade as a hedge on their bet on Mills in 2022. If he underperforms, Caserio will have enough capital in 2023 to trade up to wherever and get a QB he wants. That's why anointing Mills now is somewhat low risk.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Tunsil has been placed in bubblewrap and stored in the attic. He's being traded.

This got me thinking about draft capital. I think the plan is to rely on their extra 2023 1st rounder from the Watson trade as a hedge on their bet on Mills in 2022. If he underperforms, Caserio will have enough capital in 2023 to trade up to wherever and get a QB he wants. That's why anointing Mills now is somewhat low risk.
I posted about Tunsil when he 1st got injured that he wasn't playing again this season.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!

I think building an the oline is more consistent with coaching and scheme. If you get Kelly out of here and you get Pep and the oline coach to coordinate the scheme, then you find players that fit that scheme. Again, we've witnessed a good oline without alot of resources poured into it. Look at most good oline play in the NFL, there aren't alot of teams with a bunch of high draft picks invested. When Howard was playing left tackle, he played well. Look at Titans, they don't have a bunch of high picks either.

banned1976

sleeper mode
I don't (not that my opinion matters at all) trust Tunsil, that he will be available when needed. I don't blame him for not wanting to play for this team, but...he doesn't want to play for this team. Next year when/if the Texans are in as bad a shape as they are this year, if he stubs his toe will he sit out?

There is not one single untouchable/untradeable player on this team. Tunsil included. Besides that, was the line all that great with him in there? The few games I've seen, he really didn't make that big of a difference, if at all. They were 1-4 this year with him and they won 4 games last year with him starting 14 games. In fact, the Texans won one of the two games he missed last year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Or we can trade him to Miami for 1.22 and 3x pro bowler X Howard. Draft WR Treylon Burks with the pick.

Trade DW for NYG 1.5 and 1.8 plus some players.

1.5 Cross 1.8 Ekwonu

1.3 Hutchinson
2.35 safety Daxton Hill
3. 68 RB Kenneth Walker
3.81 RT/ RG Sean Rhyan
And then we can build around them...

badboy

Hall of Fame

Beat me to it 100% agree! Also someone might want to look up what Tunsil's PFF was before he was injured this season. It might surprise somebody.

If Tunsil is worth 1.5 + 2. 37 then DW should be worth at least 1.5 + 1.8 + 2.37 and some players.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think building an the oline is more consistent with coaching and scheme. If you get Kelly out of here and you get Pep and the oline coach to coordinate the scheme, then you find players that fit that scheme. Again, we've witnessed a good oline without alot of resources poured into it. Look at most good oline play in the NFL, there aren't alot of teams with a bunch of high draft picks invested. When Howard was playing left tackle, he played well. Look at Titans, they don't have a bunch of high picks either.
Agreed, but then you've got teams that have really invested in their OL like Dallas/Browns/K.C./49ers/Titans etc... I'm of the thought that this team would look so much better if they invested a couple of picks in some premium big school talent this yr. No more small school guys like Howard He looked good against teams without premium edge talent. Heck Christian has looked as good as Howard over the last couple of weeks and Christian looked very avg today. Scharping is simply a bust, although he had a good game today.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Beat me to it 100% agree! Also someone might want to look up what Tunsil's PFF was before he was injured this season. It might surprise somebody.

If Tunsil is worth 1.5 + 2. 37 then DW should be worth at least 1.5 + 1.8 + 2.37 and some players.
If you believe in PFF.

I didn't say what Tunsil is worth. I said what it would take for me to get on board with trading him.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Or we can trade him to Miami for 1.22 and 3x pro bowler X Howard. Draft WR Treylon Burks with the pick.

1.5 Cross 1.8 Ekwonu

1.3 Hutchinson
2.35 safety Daxton Hill
3. 68 RB Kenneth Walker
3.81 RT/ RG Sean Rhyan
LMAO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don't (not that my opinion matters at all) trust Tunsil, that he will be available when needed. I don't blame him for not wanting to play for this team, but...he doesn't want to play for this team. Next year when/if the Texans are in as bad a shape as they are this year, if he stubs his toe will he sit out?

There is not one single untouchable/untradeable player on this team. Tunsil included. Besides that, was the line all that great with him in there? The few games I've seen, he really didn't make that big of a difference, if at all. They were 1-4 this year with him and they won 4 games last year with him starting 14 games. In fact, the Texans won one of the two games he missed last year.
Agreed

But I'm not giving away a pro bowl level LT for a 1st rd pick. Gotta be more than that. Anyways, I cant wait to see if Caserio agrees with me or you on how he sees Tunsil in the Texans future. The fact that he pushed money forward in both Tunsil/Cooks deals tells me he thinks they're part of the future.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
The fact that he pushed money forward in both Tunsil/Cooks deals tells me he thinks they're part of the future.
Are you forgetting he pushed money forward on Mercilus and Cunningham? Caserio was pushing money forward to sign every special teamer/JAG he could. Sorry, he doesn’t get a pass on this stupid plan from me. Not then, not now when it’s clear how dumb it was.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame

1.5 Cross 1.8 Ekwonu

1.3 Hutchinson
2.35 safety Daxton Hill
3. 68 RB Kenneth Walker
3.81 RT/ RG Sean Rhyan
That’s sounds great and I would be on board with it except one little fly in the ointment. Miami and New York have to agree with the trades. I don’t see Miami trading back for Tunsil as that would make it look like they didn’t get the sweetheart deal in that trade the first time everyone says they did and I don’t see ANYONE trading for Watson till his legal issues are settled and those seem to just be entering a new phase.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Are you forgetting he pushed money forward on Mercilus and Cunningham? Caserio was pushing money forward to sign every special teamer/JAG he could. Sorry, he doesn’t get a pass on this stupid plan from me. Not then, not now when it’s clear how dumb it was.
Some of those ST's guys became players that they could keep around for the rebuild. If re-structuring Mercilus/Cunningham means you have the opportunity to find guys like Thomas/Smith/KGH then sign me up. Especially since not only can Caserio cut some of the 30 some odd traded for/signed in FA guys to create cap space if he wants too. (Cutting Cannon is a good example of what can be done to create cap space) Not that alot of cap space will really be needed this offseason, although I hope he brings in a bunch of guys this offseason like he did last offseason. So that he can hopefully find this offseasons Thomas/Smith/KGH. If it takes bringing in 30 guys in FA to find 3 players (Including 1 pro bowl level player) on the cheap, then sign me up.

BigBen

Practice Squad
I think this is worth a thread of it's own as I can't imagine a more important question moving forward.
Mods can move it if they seem it necessary.
Has Mills done enough?
Is it worth the risk skipping a 1st round QB this draft?
What more this season, (if at all) does he need to do to take that risk?
Should Texans take a lower round prospect to compete with Mills?
Lots to mull over here.
Unless there is a "can't miss" draft prospect out there then he has earned a better look. We will know everything we need to know by the end of next year and they won't be drafting a QB this year anyway.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If it takes bringing in 30 guys in FA to find 3 players
How about doing a little better job of scouting on the front end, so he doesn't waste cap space and draft picks? Like last offseason. That's Nick's job right? Anybody can pull names out of a hat.

Jack Burton

Veteran

1.5 Cross 1.8 Ekwonu

1.3 Hutchinson
2.35 safety Daxton Hill
3. 68 RB Kenneth Walker
3.81 RT/ RG Sean Rhyan
Jeez…..the “oiler” in NYC…..
But if they will do it HOU does that trade yesterday.
I just don’t see them drafting 3 players in the 1st let alone all in the top 10. That’s going to be impossible to get them all signed.
One would be traded away for future picks the following year.
Where’s Burks? That guy or Drake London is the guy I want HOU to go get.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I just don’t see them drafting 3 players in the 1st let alone all in the top 10. That’s going to be impossible to get them all signed.
I don't see that happening, either. And @badboy should keep his trade proposals in his draft thread. But, rookie deals aren't as expensive as they once were. 3 picks in the top 10 could be signed. Signing the 3 guys to long term deals in 5 years, if they all hit? That's much tougher.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How about doing a little better job of scouting on the front end, so he doesn't waste cap space and draft picks? Like last offseason. That's Nick's job right? Anybody can pull names out of a hat.
When you're looking at low end 1-2 yr deals on FA's it's truly a crapshoot. Take as many shots as you can and most likely you will hit on a few. Gives you the best shot at hitting on guys like Thomas/Smith/KGH. This isn't an exact science, particularly when you're dealing with low priority FA's. Doing this the way Caserio did increases the odds of hitting on these kinds of guys.

I'm hoping he does the same thing this offseason and can add 3-4 more guys in FA like he did last yr and adds 3-5 guys through the draft that includes 2-3 difference makers. If he can do this and mesh things together next yr with what he did this yr then the rebuild will be well underway. Add in the 2023 FA/Draft class and if Mills is the guy then you will have a contender. Bottom line is this is going to take a couple of yrs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Jeez…..the “oiler” in NYC…..
But if they will do it HOU does that trade yesterday.
One would be traded away for future picks the following year.
Where’s Burks? That guy or Drake London is the guy I want HOU to go get.
Unrealistic trades are like taking a morning dump for Badboy. I think that's where he comes up with all of his sources for these outlandish trade proposals.