Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sexual Assault Suits Against Watson

From the GUARDIAN:

Deshaun Watson's sexual assault allegations and the dangers of the 'nice guy' defense

If you’re shocked by anything about the legal case against Deshaun Watson, be shocked by the numbers. On Wednesday, two more women filed lawsuits against the quarterback, bringing the total to 21. Twenty-one women who say he sexually assaulted or behaved inappropriately toward them. But that’s not the number I’m stuck on.

I’m stuck on 18. That’s how many women made positive statements about Watson’s character, which his lawyer released almost as soon as the newest lawsuits went live on the Harris county district clerk’s website. These testimonials are mentioned in news stories alongside the growing pile of suits – as if they carry a similar weight, as if they mean anything at all.

They don’t.

Since he led Clemson to a national championship in 2017, Watson has been painted as one of football’s good guys. His teammates like him. He worked with Habitat for Humanity. Those are facts. They stand on their own, and they have no relationship to the matter at hand. We don’t yet know if Watson is guilty of the allegations filed against him, and he has denied them. But so-called good guys do terrible things all the time.

Think about the script every time someone in sports is fired, suspended or facing legal action. It’s always the same: A general manager or a team owner or a coach will talk about the due diligence they did, the calls they made, the glowing reviews. So obviously, it – whatever transgression it is – well, it’s shocking.

Now, for the sake of argument, let’s assume teams do make those calls. Most of the time they’re going to turn up applause, and most teams won’t dig any deeper. There’s always someone willing to say this player (or coach, or trainer, or scout) is a good guy. Maybe that someone believes it. Maybe there are 18 someones.

Affirmative statements don’t negate lawsuits. Charitable work doesn’t preclude criminal behavior. Being a good teammate doesn’t guarantee respectful behavior off the field.

But too often, we – the media – blur those lines. We see players in locker rooms and develop relationships with them in these safe, controlled, contrived spaces. We think we know them. We learn about their lives, their families, their hobbies, and we forget. We forget that we don’t really know them even a little bit, that it’s not our job to automatically give them the benefit of the doubt.

Watson, though, has been getting that benefit since the first case against him was filed. Reporters have called people close to him for comment and commented themselves about his character. Only the mounting number of lawsuits, it seems, has been enough to convince some people in the football world that this isn’t something they can ignore. It shouldn’t take 21 accusations. It shouldn’t even take two. Even if it’s the nicest player you’ve ever interviewed, the best talker on your TV.

When I was in grad school, I covered the Missouri football team for a season, and in my first week on the beat, the team’s star running back, Derrick Washington, was pulled out of practice with no explanation. I asked if a colleague could get to the local courthouse before it closed to see if there were any pending criminal charges.

There were. A woman had come forward alleging Washington had sexually assaulted her. He was found guilty and sentenced to five years in prison.

Later, after the whirlwind of the initial reporting slowed, I learned Washington was one of the most-liked players on the team. He was a captain, a vocal leader, the guy coaches would point to as an example. I knew none of that at the time – and I wonder now what I might’ve done differently if I had. Would I have been slower to explore a worst-case scenario? I hope not.

The truth of the Watson case remains to be seen, and he currently faces civil lawsuits rather than criminal charges. But let’s temper the talk of his reputation. Let’s forget about character witnesses and whether he is a nice guy and search for the facts. And we’re going to give weight to the words of 18 women, then we must give it to the 21 as well – 21 women who don’t have the luxury of character witnesses, of millions of dollars, of an adoring public holding fast to the belief that this person, who they don’t know, is good.

Last edited:
There might not be anything more illuminating than this connect-the-dots study of all of the lawsuits, starts about 11 minute mark and it's the best thing I've heard on these cases. It's amazing how this has been so beautifully laid out in spreadsheet form by Kalyn Kahler. [If you are not familiar with Andrew Brandt, you need to read his BIO to understand his qualification to run comment of this subject] :

Last edited:
=
So, what is Buzbees next move?
A couple more cases filed won't cut it at this point - now that it seems that Hardin has called his bluff.
Buzbee has failed ti file any of these cases with Police like he said he would a week ago and even cast aspersions on Houston Police Dept.
Does Buzbee have an ace up his sleeve or has he shot his load?
Again. He doesn’t have to file with HPD.
HPD doesn't have prosecutorial jurisdiction.

There are NO City of Houston felony courts.

HPD is all but irrelevant in terms of a criminal case , the only thing they can do is investigate and hand those findings over to the Harris County District Attorney.

In Texas felony courts are operated by the county. A criminal case against Watson would take place in a State District Court.

The District Attorney - the person who would make the decision to bring charges is a county elected official, Kim Ogg is the current HCDA.

The flip side to that is HPD can start their own investigation. Have they?
If they had , they wouldn't announce it publicly.

So for those uninitiated- were misdemeanor charges at hand, hpd would be relevant. Max penalty being 1 year criminally.

Felony (and state jail) charges are County. Meaning district courts.

I have zero doubt County and district personnel are both looking into the matter and have been for a week plus.

I think it is a serious concern that the identities of these women could be leaked by a Hardin insider within HPD. They cannot file criminal complaints as Jane Doe, and once their real names are out there, they are subject to potentially more abuse by Watson sycophants.

As far as other entities, the county and FBI are options, too. The FBI because at least four of the women had to cross state lines.

I wouldn't trust the FBI any more than Mangler does the HPD.

:coffee:

There might not be anything more illuminating than this connect-the-dots study of all of the lawsuits, starts about 11 minute mark and it's the best thing I've heard on these cases. It's amazing how how this has been so beautifully laid out in spreadsheet form by Kalyn Kahler. [If you are not familiar with Andrew Brandt, you need to read his BIO to understand his qualification to run comment of this subject] :

Interesting that they all use the same language in describing Watson's requests , even those not affiliated with Buzbee.

This is like the continuation of COVID. Gotta keep wearing a mask to read this stuff. Never ends. I don’t give a rats ass anymore which way this goes as long as we get some draft choices for his sorry ass, guilty or not, and start enjoying watching this team being pieced together. I like NC, the coaching staff and this interesting new philosophy on building this team. Sure we don’t know how it will all work out yet but at least NC has made a much needed train wreck of this past regime.

Watson obviously has a fetish. I was a pro athlete & had girlfriends all over the country until I got married. My question is this: Why would Watson resort to IG masseuses when he can get more elsewhere? I used to obtain ladies' digits anywhere & everywhere & the last thing I'd worry about is a masseuse; being a good-looking pro athlete is like being a Rock Star. Very bizarre behavior!

But you obviously are a normal dude who used his athlete status to bag willing chicks- this is not what DW likes.

Be sure to listen to the podcast.

Former NFL Doctor: Deshaun Watson Using Numerous Masseuses is 'Unheard Of'
By Wil LeitnerMar 29, 2021

Dr. David Chao: “This doesn’t pass the smell test for me from a medical perspective. It doesn’t make sense. Massage therapy is indeed part of the medical program having been involved in professional sports as a head team physician for an NFL team for almost two decades. Massage therapists are in the building, they’re part of injury prevention, they’re part of recovery, they can be part of rehab, and they can be part of the treatment protocol. They’re an affiliated medical service no different from chiropractors, working with strength and conditioning coaches... but the bottom line is that it just doesn’t make sense. It’s unheard of to rotate so many massage therapists… Professional athletes are creatures of habit, they like things done the same way and when something works for them they don’t want to experiment… It just doesn’t make sense to jump around massage therapists… NFL athletes often flew the masseuse that they liked out to away games and put them up at the team hotel at their expense. They didn’t call locally in Denver or to Kansas City to get a local massage therapist typically. Some did, but a lot used the ones they were comfortable with. Deshaun Watson is not a rookie, he’s been in Houston for four years. You would think he would have a routine by now and wouldn’t be searching. That’s what doesn’t make sense to me from all of this, is the merry-go-round of continued searching. I hope there’s a good solid explanation from it, and I hope there was nothing nefarious, but medically it doesn’t make sense how one would hop around.” (Full Video Above)
Listen to Dr. David Chao, a former team physician with the San Diego Chargers for 17 years, discuss the developing Deshaun Watson sexual assault fallout, and give his insight into why he believes it would make ‘no medical sense’ for Watson to cycle through different masseuses so often and at such a staggering rate.

Unlike Raniere, Epstein, or Gaetz, at least Watson just did horrible things to adult women. That is about all I have for a silver lining at this point.
Who did horrible things, like what ?
Horrible things usually get somebody put away for a long time in the slammer, but nobody here is trying that hard to put DW4 behind bars are they ? I think Buzzbutt is all about "show me the money" and it goes away. He's a shakedown artist and it would seem that him & Hardin are currently at an impasse.

Horrible things usually get somebody put away for a long time in the slammer, but nobody here is trying that hard to put DW4 behind bars are they ? I think Buzzbutt is all about "show me the money" and it goes away. He's a shakedown artist and it would seem that him & Hardin are currently at an impasse.

Busbee is trying to get his clients paid. It's his job

They won't be at an impasse for too much longer.

OJ says hi.

Be sure to listen to the podcast.

Former NFL Doctor: Deshaun Watson Using Numerous Masseuses is 'Unheard Of'
By Wil LeitnerMar 29, 2021

Listen to Dr. David Chao, a former team physician with the San Diego Chargers for 17 years, discuss the developing Deshaun Watson sexual assault fallout, and give his insight into why he believes it would make ‘no medical sense’ for Watson to cycle through different masseuses so often and at such a staggering rate.
I don’t doubt that he’s right about about this topic because it makes sense. However, he does have some questionable things in his past so I don’t think he’s the guy with the sterling reputation that you want to rely on. Could be media hit pieces or misinformation so IDK...

I don’t doubt that he’s right about about this topic because it makes sense. However, he does have some questionable things in his past so I don’t think he’s the guy with the sterling reputation that you want to rely on. Could be media hit pieces or misinformation so IDK...
I not commonly disagree with Chao's injury takes.............and he does have some questionable surgical history outcomes and battles with the medical boards. However, his simply relaying of NFL player's patterns concerning the use of professional massage deliverers can hardly be taken as tainted.

Busbee is trying to get his clients paid. It's his job

They won't be at an impasse for too much longer.

I had no idea that Buzbee was representing these victims probono.....color me amazed.

The moment money became the ultimate priority for helping these victimized women move forward with their lives was the moment I brought the entire mess into question. There's no one seeking justice as in jail time, the forfeiture of his contract, and him going into financial hail.....resulting in personal bankruptcy being filed while spending the next few years in jail. There may be no settlement left and he could be spending his most financially productive years behind bars. Would Buzbee and the victims see this as justice served?

I wouldn't trust the FBI any more than Mangler does the HPD.

:coffee:

This is also why the victims of sexual assault are reluctant to come forward, especially in a case involving a well-liked entertainer like Watson.

Many of them do not trust any level of law enforcement to have their backs, much less face the overwhelming media machine that seems to revel in victim shaming in order to protect their own inherent corporate financial interests. Guys like 'Watson the football player' make a LOT of people a lot of money.

Both - Buzbee can be a shakedown artist and Watson be a sexual predator - can be true.. They are not mutually exclusive.

If Watson wasn't a pervert (allegedly), then there would be nothing to shake down.

I'm not a fan of Buzbee's style, and he's clearly unorthodox with his strategy. That said, Watson deserves all of it (and much, much more) if these allegations are true.

I had no idea that Buzbee was representing these victims probono.....color me amazed.

The moment money became the ultimate priority for helping these victimized women move forward with their lives was the moment I brought the entire mess into question. There's no one seeking justice as in jail time, the forfeiture of his contract, and him going into financial hail.....resulting in personal bankruptcy being filed while spending the next few years in jail. There may be no settlement left and he could be spending his most financially productive years behind bars. Would Buzbee and the victims see this as justice served?

He's not doing it pro-bono per say but he does only get paid if his clients get paid. People around here have some funny ideas about justice and how the legal system works. People of Watson's fame and money very rarely face the full consequences of their actions and if someone hasn't realized that yet then they haven't been paying attention for the last 50 years. The burden of proof is such that many times the only "justice" people get is from the civil courts. Here is my question why are people on here so against the idea that these women might get a settlement for this? If you were in a car wreck that totaled your car, caused you life changing injuries and who knows what mental stress would you be satisficed if they said "Well you're not going to get any money out of this but the driver will never be able to drive again."

Watson is not going to jail for this unless there is a smoking gun that a DA can't ignore. Frankly with it being the DA being an elected position I would question if they would even be willing to bring it to a grand jury. Fact is there are numerous times where police or someone else brought all the evidence a DA could possibly want and the DA still refused to prosecute for one reason or another. So lets get off our high horses about justice and see the real world for what it is.

He's not doing it pro-bono per say but he does only get paid if his clients get paid. People around here have some funny ideas about justice and how the legal system works. People of Watson's fame and money very rarely face the full consequences of their actions and if someone hasn't realized that yet then they haven't been paying attention for the last 50 years. The burden of proof is such that many times the only "justice" people get is from the civil courts. Here is my question why are people on here so against the idea that these women might get a settlement for this? If you were in a car wreck that totaled your car, caused you life changing injuries and who knows what mental stress would you be satisficed if they said "Well you're not going to get any money out of this but the driver will never be able to drive again."

Watson is not going to jail for this unless there is a smoking gun that a DA can't ignore. Frankly with it being the DA being an elected position I would question if they would even be willing to bring it to a grand jury. Fact is there are numerous times where police or someone else brought all the evidence a DA could possibly want and the DA still refused to prosecute for one reason or another. So lets get off our high horses about justice and see the real world for what it is.

Go the criminal case route first.....then follow up with a civil suit.

Mike Tyson went to prison in the prime if his career with no smoking gun. It was her word against his. He said it was consensual, she said it wasn't. Tyson was earning $20-30 million per fight. I think that woman knew exactly what Mike was interested in when she invited him to her hotel room at 2:30 am!

Go the criminal case route first.....then follow up with a civil suit.

Again for the thousand time criminal is not Buzbee’s job nor can he file a criminal case, as for the women how do you know they didn’t try to report it to the police and got laughed out of the building? Or do you believe that the police investigate everything that is reported to them?

Watson's lawyer attempted to help his case may have made it worse in public opinion at the very least. As a former 12yr NFL vet mentioned he didn't have even 1/2 of the 40- some massage therapists in his career. Making you have to wonder what Watson needed 40-some therapists for.

Invalidating a womans claims because she went to civil court instead of criminal court is like saying "If the woman really was raped, why did she scratch his face with her finger nails instead of shoot him in the face with a .45?"

If THAT is the core of your argument you may as well be trying to cross a bridge made of wet toilet paper.

It may look complete, but once you try to use it, it will fall apart quickly if thats all you have.

Im not part of this back and forth... but yes.... as a matter of fact.... I would.

Laugh all you want but when the lizard people steal your soul, politicians melt your brain or Deshaun comes seeking a massage... dont come cryin to me....I'll be safe in my freedom fortress of foil.

Epic. Ty.

Mike Tyson went to prison in the prime if his career with no smoking gun. It was her word against his. He said it was consensual, she said it wasn't. Tyson was earning $20-30 million per fight. I think that woman knew exactly what Mike was interested in when she invited him to her hotel room at 2:30 am!

Probably correct .... but there's a simple difference to these cases.

Its not the women inviting Watson to her room but Watson requesting their services in a secluded setting.

Again for the thousand time criminal is not Buzbee’s job nor can he file a criminal case, as for the women how do you know they didn’t try to report it to the police and got laughed out of the building? Or do you believe that the police investigate everything that is reported to them?

You’re only what-iffing one side of the story.

Back