Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 3.83: Louis Nix NT

Thumbs up or down on Louis Nix at 3.83?

• Up

Votes: 137 93.8%
  • Down

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Yup. Even J.J. Watt was a "project" at one time. That's why all drafts are crapshoots. But don't ever tell the draftdicks that. That's sacrilege

Yep they're all projects, Andrew Luck is still projecting upward. To think some didn't think he is above avg last offseason. Kinda like the Brady is done crowd, they can wish all you want but that doesn't make it true.

But really, it takes rookies that are good about half a season to get adjusted to the NFL. Draftdicks?

That's cool. For some reason I had it in my head that there were some concerns about him when they drafted him...

There were concerns -- injury, maturity. Nix, III was rated as a 1st rounder by some pretty smart football people, based on his game tape. So being there in the 3rd tells you there were concerns.

If we can get him on the field and with his teammates I think that'll go a long way towards showing him how to do it. We need the village to raise this child. ;)

There were concerns -- injury, maturity. Nix, III was rated as a 1st rounder by some pretty smart football people, based on his game tape. So being there in the 3rd tells you there were concerns.

If we can get him on the field and with his teammates I think that'll go a long way towards showing him how to do it. We need the village to raise this child. ;)
You'll need a village to feed him, too!! That's a big boy!!

...but the skeptic in me tends to see this take.

Is Nix another Amobi Okoye - i.e. "project" player?

By draft standards one is/was a bigger project then the other...but really, until we see them they ARE ALL projects. Hell, after we see them they're still projects.

I get the perspective that "all rookies are projects".

But, some are more projects than others. Some rookies hit the ground running and are starting their first season. Then other end of the spectrum - i.e. Amobi Okoye - we know were picked to develop and hope to start at some point down the road.

I didn't know where Nix fit on that scale, but see that he never started due to injuries and possible work ethic concerns. Hopefully a year with a pro team has both healed him and set his mentality in the right direction. The D-line should could use him.

I get the perspective that "all rookies are projects".

But, some are more projects than others. Some rookies hit the ground running and are starting their first season. Then other end of the spectrum - i.e. Amobi Okoye - we know were picked to develop and hope to start at some point down the road.

I didn't know where Nix fit on that scale, but see that he never started due to injuries and possible work ethic concerns. Hopefully a year with a pro team has both healed him and set his mentality in the right direction. The D-line should could use him.

You don't draft a DT where we drafted Amobi "hoping someday" he'll develop into a starter ... you draft him there for immediate impact. It was not just a pick that went bad, it was a STUPID pick period.

You don't draft a DT where we drafted Amobi "hoping someday" he'll develop into a starter ... you draft him there for immediate impact. It was not just a pick that went bad, it was a STUPID pick period.

And yet he was expected to go there or even higher and was not considered a reach at all.

"You don't draft a DT...."....but, yet, the Texans did just that.

Like 'cak said, Okoye was projected high by experts. That said, there were a lot of detractors, too, like Vinny who I was hanging out with that day and he said it was not a good pick for the Texans. Ancient history, though. I was just using it as an example, not so much inviting discussion.

Yup. Even J.J. Watt was a "project" at one time. That's why all drafts are crapshoots. But don't ever tell the draftdicks that. That's sacrilege

I don't think the draft is a crapshoot so much as it's going to the horse track.

You can gather tons of information, such as class, tendencies, even whose doing the riding, but ultimately that pony's gonna do what that pony's gonna do.

"You don't draft a DT...."....but, yet, the Texans did just that.

Like 'cak said, Okoye was projected high by experts. That said, there were a lot of detractors, too, like Vinny who I was hanging out with that day and he said it was not a good pick for the Texans. Ancient history, though. I was just using it as an example, not so much inviting discussion.

It was funny going back and reading the thread about him and all the people that wanted him to fall to #8. There was even an if AP and Okoye were both there, some wanted Okoye

It was Rick Smith's first pick as GM.

Learning on the job?

Still crazy after all these yrs.

It was funny going back and reading the thread about him and all the people that wanted him to fall to #8. There was even an if AP and Okoye were both there, some wanted Okoye

I must admit he was #10 on my list ahead of Patrick Willis at the time.

1. Joe Thomas
2. Calvin Johnson
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Gaines Adams
5. LaRon Landry
6. Jamaal Anderson
7. Chris Houston
8. Brady Quinn
9. Levi Brown
10. Amobi Okoye

Sure and understandably so. We ran a 4-3 and had a MLB coming of rookie of the year

Couldn't believe we passed on Willis. I was stunned! The only other pick I disagreed with more was taking Carr over Peppers.

Couldn't believe we passed on Willis. I was stunned! The only other pick I disagreed with more was taking Carr over Peppers.

I was hoping we could get AP or Willis, but I wasn't real disappointed at the time

I was hoping we could get AP or Willis, but I wasn't real disappointed at the time

Honesty is refreshing. I remember Vinny calling as he sat with DB and Porky iirc and being underwhelmed by the pick but it wasn't a stupid pick.

Honesty is refreshing. I remember Vinny calling as he sat with DB and Porky iirc and being underwhelmed by the pick but it wasn't a stupid pick.

Yep, can't lie and say I was totally against it... it was a good pick if it had panned out. He had tremendous upside

I was very happy about our trade up up Nix and believe he is putting in 100% on his recovery and preparing for the camp. I think he will work into the rotation and should become the starter.

yep, we were all at Hervoyel's house watching the draft. I'd never heard of Okoye, but remember Vinny talking about the team reaching and being a project player, two things he thought the Texans should not be doing at the time due to other pressing needs.

Last year Playoff told me he had heard that many teams thought that Nix had all the potential in the world.....but was a hopeless, child-like, goog-off. Playoffs very recently mentioned something coming out re. Nix having fallen out of favor with the Texans. I came across this article now that refers to this........not good news.

Houston Texans RUMORS: Louis Nix In O'Brien's Dog House, Team Targeting Nose Tackle In 2015 NFL Draft?

By Cal Setar | Feb 21, 2015 12:38 PM EST

The Houston Texans didn't see much impact from any of their selections in the 2014 NFL Draft.

First-round pick Jadeveon Clowney underwent microfracture surgery after seven games, second-round pick Xavier Su'a-Filo appeared in 13 games, starting one, third-rounder C.J. Fiedorowicz made only four receptions for 28 yards, and the team's second third-round selection, nose tackle Louis Nix, failed to appear in a game before being placed on injured reserve after Week 3.

The draft class as a whole was unable to offer much in the way of immediate impact, and while it's said to take at least three seasons to truly evaluate an incoming class, the initial returns in Houston were not promising.

While Clowney and the rest of the prospects still have the backing of Texans head coach Bill O'Brien and GM Rick Smith, Nix has, according to a report from Tony Pauline of Draft Insider, already fallen out of favor and has the franchise seeking a nose tackle in the 2015 NFL Draft.

Nix, like Clowney, was a fantastic NFL prospect in terms of size and ability, coming out of Notre Dame last year. Questions about his work ethic and conditioning dogged him throughout the draft process, another unfortunate characteristic shared with Clowney, but the Texans still thought highly enough of his moldable skill set to make him a third-round selection.

"Houston is looking for big, strong, physical playmakers," NFL Draft Analyst Mike Mayock said of the selection. "Nix is a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle. At 350 pounds, he's extremely stout. He should probably play at 330, because he can get tired and when he gets tired he loses the leverage battle."

A projected first or second-round pick, Nix fell due to a lack of momentum entering the draft as well as a torn meniscus in his left knee, which required season-ending surgery. After undergoing a second arthroscopic procedure on the knee prior to training camp with the Texans, he never seemed to return to full health and was subsequently placed on IR, forcing the team to sign veteran Ryan Pickett.

With the 16th selection in the first-round of April's 2015 NFL Draft, the Texans could target a player like Danny Shelton of Washington or Eddie Goldman of Florida State, both big, strong, athletic tackles built to hold the point of attack.

There will be options in free agency as well, where a player like Terrance Knighton, formerly of the Broncos and Jaguars, could provide a significant upgrade over Pickett and the already-out-of-favor, Nix.

Last year Playoff told me he had heard that many teams thought that Nix had all the potential in the world.....but was a hopeless, child-like, goog-off. Playoffs very recently mentioned something coming out re. Nix having fallen out of favor with the Texans. I came across this article now that refers to this........not good news.

Houston Texans RUMORS: Louis Nix In O'Brien's Dog House, Team Targeting Nose Tackle In 2015 NFL Draft?

I think if they go NT in the first 2 it means Nix is toast, if they go FA signing, it might be the opposite

With the 16th selection in the first-round of April's 2015 NFL Draft, the Texans could target a player like Danny Shelton of Washington or Eddie Goldman of Florida State, both big, strong, athletic tackles built to hold the point of attack.

It' gonna be very unlikely that Shelton is available at #16. A more likely candidate for them might be UT DT Malcolm Brown.
Nix seemed like player worthy o a shot with a 3rd round pick given his perceived upside, but he already had a well documented injury and maybe the Texans took on too much risk they may yet regret for drafting Nix.

Not to mention there is no depth there at all. We HAVE to start putting better talent around Watt.

yeah I think that's why they got Clowney and Nix...

If at first you don't succeed, try try again

A projected first or second-round pick, Nix fell due to a lack of momentum entering the draft as well as a torn meniscus in his left knee, which required season-ending surgery. After undergoing a second arthroscopic procedure on the knee prior to training camp with the Texans, he never seemed to return to full health and was subsequently placed on IR, forcing the team to sign veteran Ryan Pickett.

So, I take it that it's another 'bone on bone' like Clowney?:toropalm:

Have you heard something about microfracture surgery? Or anything to indicate a problem since September?

Well, unless he was completely f'king the dog with his rehab, it's pretty similar if you ask me. Torn meniscus, two surgeries that supposedly haven't panned out. But what do I know. You're the expert around here.

Well, unless he was completely f'king the dog with his rehab, it's pretty similar if you ask me. Torn meniscus, two surgeries that supposedly haven't panned out. But what do I know. You're the expert around here.

If you're into chihuahua and mastiffs are all dogs type comparisons I guess so. I don't claim to be an expert. I do claim however to pay attention and not be inclined to impersonating chicken little.

Nix had surgery for a torn meniscus November 2013. He passed medical and participated in the combine. He got to the Texans and had an arthroscopic procedure. No microfracture which ups the problems tenfold or more. There just wasn't a point of holding a roster spot for a rookie to recover and then get back in football shape during the season. Since then there have been no indications of problems no anything about bone on bone ever reported.

Here on the other hand is the resident expert:

If Nix did undergo the patellar tendon decompression that I believe he likely underwent, 9 weeks was a projected return to play.....but with at least a couple extra months thereafter to get to more optimal physical recovery. This does not account for all of his "lost time," and the "catch up" he has obviously needed to do to get anywhere up to par with learning and practicing the system. This is, of course, taking for granted that the surgery went well and actually corrected the problem it targeted. All-in-all, I do believe that if he is not overwhelmed by an impatient coaching staff, we shall all see the dividends that we were hoping for with his pick come to fruition.

It just wasn't worth keeping him on the roster.

So, I take it that it's another 'bone on bone' like Clowney?:toropalm:

I should have pointed out this fallacy in the article's facts. Nix's November 2013 meniscus repair was performed on the LEFT knee........his 2014 arthroscopy, which was never characterized, was perfomed on the RIGHT knee.

In fact, the 9/4/14 Injury Report listed him as Full Participation; on 9/10/14, he was no longer on the Injury Report at all; then on the 9/19/2014, he was back on the Injury Report.......but not with a Knee, with a Wrist, and still projected as Probable...........however, he was never activated and on 9/26/2014, he was placed on IR with a Wrist injury.

WTF,

Crusty old man these days?

Isn't the info in the article a rehash of old news? IIRC, this was all discussed in 2014 concerning Nix and "doghouse". I still have not seen anything saying he cannot make field game one.

Thanks Doc for clarifying the history of his medical concerns.

Louis Nix In the Doghouse?
There have been rumors of Louis Nix being in Head Coach Bill O’Brien’s dog house. Let’s start from the beginning: the Texans traded up for Nix in the 2014 NFL Draft. At that point, the team was getting a player who only appeared in 7 games his senior season at Notre Dame due to a torn meniscus.

Nix was rehabbing the knee and losing weight at the same time that he was getting ready for the NFL Combine. He participated in the combine and arrived to Houston in shape for rookie mini-camp but ended up re-injuring his knee prior to OTAs and missed majority of training camp having a second surgery on the same knee. He played in the preseason, but could tell he was too far behind to catch up with all the time he missed. What ultimately landed Nix on the injured reserve and ended his season was an elbow injury which opened the door for the signing of Ryan Pickett.

There was talk about O’Brien being upset with Nix but the last time he addressed the situation was when they put Nix on the injured reserve.

“He’s a guy that we have high hopes for in the future. No doubt about it,” Texans coach Bill O’Brien said at NRG Stadium. “He’s a guy that we think is a future 3-4 nose for us.”

Disappointed might be a better word, but being in the dog house is an overblown subject to this point.

Nix was rehabbing the knee and losing weight at the same time that he was getting ready for the NFL Combine. He participated in the combine and arrived to Houston in shape for rookie mini-camp but ended up re-injuring his knee prior to OTAs and missed majority of training camp having a second surgery on the same knee. He played in the preseason, but could tell he was too far behind to catch up with all the time he missed. What ultimately landed Nix on the injured reserve and ended his season was an elbow injury which opened the door for the signing of Ryan Pickett.

How are all these writers getting Nix's injury history so consistently screwed up?

How are all these writers getting Nix's injury history so consistently screwed up?

Bolded tells you the reason why. Their writers and bloggers, not reporters as you and I know the term.

Other than the fact that he's just not very good.
I think your position on this has been pretty much shredded. He had a terrific 2012 playing in 13 games (11 starts) and registering 50-7.5-2 with five passes batted and one forced fumble. Injured in 2013. If he does not perform 2015 it still will not be because he is not good.

I think your position on this has been pretty much shredded. He had a terrific 2012 playing in 13 games (11 starts) and registering 50-7.5-2 with five passes batted and one forced fumble. Injured in 2013. If he does not perform 2015 it still will not be because he is not good.
Agreed. I'm expecting good things from Nix and X in 2015. IMO, 2015 will be like having 2 drafts in 1 year, only better because the 2014 guys will have a year in a pro environment.

I cannot remember you discussing the wrist injury, do you have any info? I cannot find anything other than he had an injury.

I cannot remember you discussing the wrist injury, do you have any info? I cannot find anything other than he had an injury.

There were several buried mentions of his wrist injury, which I first noted on the September 4th Injury Report (thread).

Here is a Sept 24, 2014 Chronicle piece that eluded to the wrist injury related to the IR.
The Texans placed rookie nose tackle Louis Nix III on injured reserve today and signed veteran nose tackle Ryan Pickett.

Nix, a third-round draft pick from Notre Dame, was inactive for the first three games. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery before training. After returning, he never seemed to be 100 percent or healthy enough to play due to a wrist injury.

Rotoworld:

Texans placed NT Louis Nix on injured reserve with a wrist injury, ending his season.

Nix, the 83rd pick in May's draft, was listed as probable on last week's injury report, but didn't play a single snap this season. He missed all of the spring practices and first three weeks of training camp after undergoing a knee scope. The Texans have signed veteran NT Ryan Pickett to take Nix's roster spot. Wed, Sep 24, 2014 11:47:00 AM

AI'm expecting good things from Nix and X in 2015. IMO

The X-man pick is even more puzzling now than it was last year when it was made ? Knowing that both Kareem and Newt would be hitting FA a year later, and then with AJ's cap situation there were much bigger needs than an interior offensive lineaman. OK maybe the X-man was the Texans highest rated player on their Board, so now they've got him but they've still got alll of those other unresolved problems to.

The X-man pick is even more puzzling now than it was last year when it was made ? Knowing that both Kareem and Newt would be hitting FA a year later, and then with AJ's cap situation there were much bigger needs than an interior offensive lineaman. OK maybe the X-man was the Texans highest rated player on their Board, so now they've got him but they've still got alll of those other unresolved problems to.

Before they picked XSF, Wade Smith was our LG. He was worthless as a player & really most of the problem on the OL. If the coaching staff had a low opinion of Ben Jones, like the Kubiak staff obviously did, LG was a huge need. Wade was going to be gone regardless & OB probably thought he needed an instant starter.

I like Ben Jones. However, we can get better at that position. If XSF is ready to be better, I'm all for it.

Before they picked XSF, Wade Smith was our LG. He was worthless as a player & really most of the problem on the OL. If the coaching staff had a low opinion of Ben Jones, like the Kubiak staff obviously did, LG was a huge need. Wade was going to be gone regardless & OB probably thought he needed an instant starter.

I like Ben Jones. However, we can get better at that position. If XSF is ready to be better, I'm all for it.

Ok but consider his. Most agree last year was a strong draft and the #33 oever all was virtually a late fist round pick and that's a huge price to pay for a guard which is not a premium position. At the very least they should have traded that pick for multiple picks and used a lower pick on an offensive guard. I just think they overspent on the X-man, and that was a luxury I don't think the Texans can afford.

Ok but consider his. Most agree last year was a strong draft and the #33 oever all was virtually a late fist round pick and that's a huge price to pay for a guard which is not a premium position. At the very least they should have traded that pick for multiple picks and used a lower pick on an offensive guard. I just think they overspent on the X-man, and that was a luxury I don't think the Texans can afford.

Well... on one hand, you've got practically the whole world falling over Dallas for their three 1st round picks on the OL. One of them just happens to be a guard they drafted in the first of that very same draft.

Then on the other hand, we know franchise QBs don't just fall into your lap. So until we do have that franchise QB, a stout OL is anything but a luxury.

& finally, I hope they continue that line of thinking & would love to get an OT in the first round who can start at RT from day 1 with the possibility of moving to the left side in the future.

Monster OL. That's what we need until we get a monster QB.

DOn't get why people always say the bolded. Every position on the line is a premium position. Hell Dallas had a resurgence and appear to be set for the next 10 years b/c they hunkered down and rebuilt their o-line. The skill guys get all the attention, but most if not all of the greatest dynasties the league has seen can be traced back to dominant o-lines.

If X pans out and becomes a 10 year starter for us, he was worth the 33rd pick.

DOn't get why people always say the bolded. Every position on the line is a premium position. Hell Dallas had a resurgence and appear to be set for the next 10 years b/c they hunkered down and rebuilt their o-line. The skill guys get all the attention, but most if not all of the greatest dynasties the league has seen can be traced back to dominant o-lines.

If X pans out and becomes a 10 year starter for us, he was worth the 33rd pick.

IDEXAN loves declaring things not premium positions. FYI WR is also not a premium position.

Some very good teams have disagreed on the importance of Gs - Logan Mankins, Chris Snee, Mike Iupati and Ben Grubbs come to mind.

And it's not like we were attempting to upgrade a solid starter like Brooks. We had a gaping hole had contributed to our rushing offense plummeting 12 spots on yds, 24 spots on scoring.

Yep. Nix is a really good player.

Whether or not he's going to show that is another question.

It's unfortunate, but many fans undervalue the importance of the offensive line. Not only in the starters, but more so in the depth.

If the Texans made it an actual written requirement to take an offensive linemen in the 1st or 2nd round of every single draft from here on out, I'd have no issue with it at all.

Just like TK said, if and until, we ever get that monster QB, you build the monster OL. Sayings like "win the battle in the trenches", or "it all starts up front", aren't just dumb cliches.

Back