Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Selection 3.83: Louis Nix NT

Thumbs up or down on Louis Nix at 3.83?

• Up

Votes: 137 93.8%
  • Down

Votes: 9 6.2%

• Total voters
Hey BOP thanks for bumping this thread as Nix should end up being a significant player when healthy. I have posted a lengthy article from a doctor concerning Nix's surgery & him dropping to 3rd was good for us. Fans often get confused on his injuries as to when they occurred. He had healed from his groin surgery but had increased weight prior to senior year to 360 due to inability to work out enough. He dropped to 335 by combine and hopefully will lose 15-20 more. As others say, a year to heal and to mature from Irish Chocolate will be nice as Powe and Pickett doing very well. I hope they bring both back as one can line up at DT and other at NT with rotation by Nix.

Groin surgery?? As I understand it, Nix played at 325-330 pounds his Junior year (2012), then gained most of his weight of 350-60 pounds during the spring of 2013 because he felt he could play his position better with the added weight. He sustained his knee injury and underwent surgery for medial meniscus repair in November of 2013. He was then told and understood that he had to lose weight to take the extra "stress" off of his healing knee (in order not to disrupt the repair), especially if he expected to be ready and able for the 2014 Combine.

Can you....edit that post? I can't figure out wtf you're trying to say.

Being a space eater isn't a skill that declines with age... kinda like being paid to be a couch potato

you can be effective up into your late 30's :D

very interesting doc, if he can report to camp healthy and down in weight that would be great. I wonder what his weight is after this surgery as before his senior season he had ballooned to 360 after hernia repair.

Groin surgery?? As I understand it, Nix played at 325-330 pounds his Junior year (2012), then gained most of his weight of 350-60 pounds during the spring of 2013 because he felt he could play his position better with the added weight. He sustained his knee injury and underwent surgery for medial meniscus repair in November of 2013. He was then told and understood that he had to lose weight to take the extra "stress" off of his healing knee (in order not to disrupt the repair), especially if he expected to be ready and able for the 2014 Combine.

At 357 pounds, Nix could not tell time. But following his initial meniscus surgery, he literally worked his ass off and watched his diet to bring that weight down to 331 pounds for purposes of relieving stress on his rehabbing knee and the Combine. During early OTAs, Nix sustained what the Texans reported (as usual) as a "minor" knee injury for which he went on to miss a great deal of time, then this injury which originally OB referred to as "not concerning" .............., he underwent arthroscopic surgery. He tried to come back for TC.........was not fully rehabbed, lost valuable experience and played fairly poorly in 2 preseason games. Next thing you know...............IR. (For those who may not know, besides the knee injury, he was also dealing with a wrist injury.) Now, following his 2nd knee injury/rehab, he knows "what time it is"........and I feel he will put his new-found "skill" to good use.

Next year, I expect to see him down to a sexy 315-320 pounds and creating havoc on opposing D's.:pirate:

At 357 pounds, Nix could not tell time. But following his initial meniscus surgery, he literally worked his ass off and watched his diet to bring that weight down to 331 pounds for purposes of relieving stress on his rehabbing knee and the Combine. During early OTAs, Nix sustained what the Texans reported (as usual) as a "minor" knee injury for which he went on to miss a great deal of time, then this injury which originally OB referred to as "not concerning" .............., he underwent arthroscopic surgery. He tried to come back for TC.........was not fully rehabbed, lost valuable experience and played fairly poorly in 2 preseason games. Next thing you know...............IR. (For those who may not know, besides the knee injury, he was also dealing with a wrist injury.) Now, following his 2nd knee injury/rehab, he knows "what time it is"........and I feel he will put his new-found "skill" to good use.

Next year, I expect to see him down to a sexy 315-320 pounds and creating havoc on opposing D's.:pirate:
my question is how much does it take to clog middle in 3-4 with little expectation of getting to QB? I am hoping it was health that made him look so average.

if he's working out and running now then i don't think weight will be an issue.

here he is a couple of days ago...

646NixSanta.jpg

looking more like a 5 tech than NT right now.

646NixSanta.jpg

That better not be him.... looks more like a punter than a football player, much less a NT.

646NixSanta.jpg

For someone like Nix who has admitted that he likes food, it is much easier to bulk up than shrink down. For a rehab comeback from surgery on both knees, initial relief of stress on the knees (especially in a mega weight player) by losing weight is the smartest approach. There is plenty of time thereafter to build up to what the Texans feel will be his ideal playing weight/physique before OTAs.......and certainly by TC. I wouldn't worry too much about that facet of his development.

my question is how much does it take to clog middle in 3-4 with little expectation of getting to QB? I am hoping it was health that made him look so average.

He was not fully rehabbed from his meniscus repair, then sustained the injury to his other knee (we aren't told specifics of this one) and may not have been rehabbed from that one either. Keep in mind that in a 330+ pounder, rehab can be much longer compared to lighter players with the same injuries. I have no doubt that his "health" was a major factor in his "average" look.

If that picture is really him, I am amazed and very optimistic as he can bulk up and muscle up easily. He does not look anywhere near 331 and I could see him matching my dream weight for him at around 315 and more muscle than fat. If this happens, we may have a very, very good player. The 3 Amigos in our mock research spent a lot of time on this player for two seasons at Notre Dame. Rotating him, Pickett and Powe at the DTs could provide constipation to opponents run game and decrease pressure on LBs. I need to temper excitement.

What a disastrous early pick. Almost as bad as the Clowney pick. This is going to go down as the worst draft in Texans history.

What a disastrous early pick. Almost as bad as the Clowney pick. This is going to go down as the worst draft in Texans history.
ok but that is history and Clowney, Mallett, Savage and Nix could be very good in their second years which would put them right back in order for most draft picks.

Look at the guys photobombing in the back lmao.....

It looks like he's throwing a gang sign or something....
rap_1.gif

Nix does look a little on the light side. Maybe he just lost the weight as part of the rehab process, and is gonna add it back when it's time to play ball.

Sense you seem to have a crystal ball, have you looked into this yrs draft class.

I'm sure if you know which draftee's will or will not get hurt as rookies Smith would greatly appreciate that info. If Smith is the person you need to speak too, nobody seems to know what Smith's job is. (Other than being a yes man)

Reactions: JB
Nothing outside of running, working out, on schedule.
Dang. That's about all we got before he went on IR. I really hope he can show something before the draft so the Texans have a good idea of whether or not they need to draft another NT.

He posts nothing but pictures concerning Notre Dame on instagram. Not that that means anything, except the possibility of still being mentally stuck in college

He posts nothing but pictures concerning Notre Dame on instagram. Not that that means anything, except the possibility of still being mentally stuck in college

Or being proud of his alma mater. But more than likely though it is a passive-aggressive action on his part to avoid growing up and being an NFL player by constantly fantasizing about still hanging out with Touchdown Jesus, the ghost of Knute Rockne and half-drunk ND cheerleaders.

Or being proud of his alma mater. But more than likely though it is a passive-aggressive action on his part to avoid growing up and being an NFL player by constantly fantasizing about still hanging out with Touchdown Jesus, the ghost of Knute Rockne and half-drunk ND cheerleaders.

Or he hasn't done anything to merit being a pro yet. Here's a pic of me on the sidelines. Check out my sweet spot on the bench. Here's my locker...without any gear. hahaha

That would seem to address the issue... Nicely done.

Still love this pick. I felt better about box than I did clowney. Matter of fact I think nix was my favorite pick from that draft.

I'm pretty sure he is not allowed to post much about his health; wasn't it Foster a couple years ago that tweeted about an injury and Kubiak corrected him?

I'm pretty sure he is not allowed to post much about his health; wasn't it Foster a couple years ago that tweeted about an injury and Kubiak corrected him?

Yeah and O'Brien is even more secretive than Kubiak was when it comes to revealing health status of his players.

Foster posted a picture of the MRI to twitter, which is about as dumb as laying your cards face up in a game of Hold'em.

I still like the pick a lot. We lucked out in a way with Pickett playing so well. But we need a big body for the future. And he is that man-child.

This 2015 draft is almost like getting an extra 1st and getting Clowney, and an extra 3rd and getting Nix. I am going to assume they come back healthy unless told otherwise by the Texans medical staff/front office.

I still like the pick a lot. We lucked out in a way with Pickett playing so well. But we need a big body for the future. And he is that man-child.

This 2015 draft is almost like getting an extra 1st and getting Clowney, and an extra 3rd and getting Nix. I am going to assume they come back healthy unless told otherwise by the Texans medical staff/front office.

I'm going to assume they are the second coming of Joppru and Boselli until I see them suit up and play a full season.

I dig this perspective...

I'm going to assume they are the second coming of Joppru and Boselli until I see them suit up and play a full season.

...but the skeptic in me tends to see this take.

Is Nix another Amobi Okoye - i.e. "project" player?

I dig this perspective...

If I remember correctly, Nix wasn't considered a "project" player, but I try to take the perspective that all rookies are "projects" until they show that they are not whether it good or bad.

If I remember correctly, Nix wasn't considered a "project" player, but I try to take the perspective that all rookies are "projects" until they show that they are not whether it good or bad.

Yup. Even J.J. Watt was a "project" at one time. That's why all drafts are crapshoots. But don't ever tell the draftdicks that. That's sacrilege

Amobi was a project because he was so young & he was expected to grow quite a bit his first two or three years in the league.

Nix is full grown... at least we hope he ain't growing anymore. He doesn't have the moves Amobi had when he came into the league, so there's that plus the learning process all rookies go through.

But Nix is a blue chip with a bum knee. We hoped Amobi would grow into a blue chip.

Amobi was a project because he was so young & he was expected to grow quite a bit his first two or three years in the league.

Nix is full grown... at least we hope he ain't growing anymore. He doesn't have the moves Amobi had when he came into the league, so there's that plus the learning process all rookies go through.

But Nix is a blue chip with a bum knee. We hoped Amobi would grow into a blue chip.

That's cool. For some reason I had it in my head that there were some concerns about him when they drafted him. To be honest, we never saw the guy so I never really got to know much about him.

Wow all you workout warriors and injury pro's around here sure are keen on throwing people under the bus. For the love of god maybe people actually are injured and need time to rehab.

Back